Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
singnring
DIS Veteran

Dining disasters at Disney this trip!!

WOW! I mean, all I can say is , WOW!

I cannot believe the changes between our experiences last Sep with dining and this year!

We were so-o-o-o disappointed this trip in almost every one of our TS dining experiences - 15 in all.

Our first ADR was at Trail's End our first night. Yes, I know, not exactly the best on Disney property, but DH and DD love it for some reason - or at least, they used to!

We had a 6:30 ADR, arrived about 25 minutes early to find a check-in line of about 5 other parties. One by one they were SLOWLY mustered through check-in. Come to find out, every one of them was a walk-up w/out ADR's. It also appeared that there was a training session going on with one of the CM's at the podium and it was bogging down the process. Half-way through, a manager came out and took over. Didn't help! They kept having to ru inside and go around the restaurant with paper and pen, writing down what tables were free.

It too us almost 15 minutes to get to the podium to check in for our ADR. THe manger apologized for the wait and said our table would be ready in about 5 minutes.

We patiently waited and DD and Dneice were messing around having fun, so we were patient.

Then we went over 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes. Meanwhile, all of the people without ADR's were being called in and seated ahead of us.

After 20 minutes DH was starting to have smoke come out of his ears. I think the mgr sensed we were not pleased and he said our table would be ready in just a moment.

5 minutes later he finally took us in personally and seated us.

Now, here's the thing. As we were waiting, we looked into the restaurant, to see why there was such a problem seating people. We still don't know. There had to have been at least 20 empty tables in the place the whole time we waited! No one should have been waiting for a table, least of all, those with ADR's!

THe next morning we went to CP for breakfast at 8:25. We waited again, this time for about 15 minutes. We were taken in and once again I see gobs of open tables! Why are we out in the heat, sweating like animals when there are so many open tables?!!
I let it go and proceeded to sit down for breakfast. We were told to wait for our waitress before going up to the buffet, even though I told them we had been there many time and knew the drill.
After 5 minutes, I told the others to go get their food and I got their drink orders so I could tell the waitress when she showed up.
THey were back from getting thier food and I had to give them my drink order as I went to get food.
At some point while I was at the buffet, she finally showed and took the drink order. Eventually she showed back up with the drinks. I think we saw her once more during our meal, and then had to ask for the check. Being on the dining plan, we then had to wait for her to bring back the bill for us to sign, which took bout 10 minutes just for that.

Throughout the trip, this is the same experience at almost every meal!
THe only truly good experience we had was dinner on our anniversary at Narcoosee's. Debby was our waitress and she was incredible!! Had it not been for this one meal, our entire trip would have been a total loss for good dining!

One meal at Hollywood and Vine was a total joke! THe waitress was non-existent throughout the meal. We were choking down half of our meal without any drinks before she showed up. then DH had to hunt her down for drink refills later on. When she brought the bill she had the audacity to tell us she didn't add in the 18% gratuity, did we want her to or were we going to handle it on our own?
WHAT!!! You'll be lucky to get 10% for your "service"!! Unbelievable gall for someone who knew she had neglected us!! DH had a talk with the manager afterwards!

This was the kind of service we had all 2 weeks. Waiting ridiculous time to get in and be seated ( 40 minutes at Tusker House! - DD ended up sick from sitting in the heat waiting for that one!), terrible and neglectful service from waitstaff, and the food was definitely not up to par.

We definitely thought twice about booking our bounceback stay for next year, but decided to go ahead and see how things go through the next year.
We'll be closely watching the boards for reports on whether Disney wakes up and brings back some quality before September 2010!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with your dining this year. We were lucky...we were seated within five minutes of our ADR's (this included Crystal Palace, Plaza and Sci Fi); the only one we waited for was LeCellier and that was about 25 minutes--but this is often expected at LeCellier.

I will agree with you...we too saw a lot of empty tables when we were seated, some of them ready for guests, others still filled with the previous diners dishes. My guess is with the layoffs that the servers/cleaners cannot keep up.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
doryfan
Mouseketeer

We came back Monday night from 6 days on the dp and didnt have any problems w/waits except for our first day at CRT! Yes there were some empty tables at times w/people waiting outside....but from what I understand, its because of staffing. They dont seat anyone in sections untill that waiter or waitress is there.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

what a shame

Old 10-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
singnring
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Your experience at H&V was the same one we had in 2004...we will never go back ever!
This ws our first time there, as DD is too old for the characters.

But this trip, DGS1 & DGS2 were along part of the time, so we went.

The frustrating thing is, we enjoyed the food at this breakfast buffet more than any other buffet. The selction was great!
It's a shame the service was so horrible!
Old 10-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
singnring
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I will agree with you...we too saw a lot of empty tables when we were seated, some of them ready for guests, others still filled with the previous diners dishes. My guess is with the layoffs that the servers/cleaners cannot keep up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doryfan View Post
Yes there were some empty tables at times w/people waiting outside....but from what I understand, its because of staffing. They dont seat anyone in sections untill that waiter or waitress is there.
This is part of my point though.
I realized staffing was the issue.
But if they aren't going to staff the personel to handle the ADR's they're allowing, they shouldn't be allowing the ADR's.

We should have never had to wait the kind of times we did.
The only meals we didn't wait for were at Maya Grill. We were seated immediately for those.
Yes, I realize it was because it is a less popular venue.

But the rest of our meals had no less than a 20 minute wait, usually on top of the 10-15 minutes we arrived early. So I am only counting the wait time past our ADR time. And most of those were early ADR's.
The late ones were the ones that got out to 45 minutes!

At Tusker House they actually had to bring us plates of breakfast foods so that we would get breakfast instead of lunch. Our ADR was in plenty of time to be there during breakfast service, but the wait time threw us into lunch, and we don't care for the lunch foods.
I will say, the manager and waitress really tried to right the situation this day.
The others on our other ADR's didn't seem to care.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
catne
DIS Veteran

What a bummer! So sorry you had such a rotten time with the waiting. The empty table/people waiting situation is odd. Seems like they could even-out the staffing issues better (there are thousands of unemployed people in Orlando...bet they'd have little difficulty hiring some more.) There were so many empty tables everywhere the first week of September also. Some places were 1/2 to 2/3 empty. But our worst wait time was only about 10 minutes, though, so I guess we lucked out there. Only places we had bad service was Kouzzina - and I think that was mainly due to the new drill/new restaurant issues.
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
Old 10-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
Belle4mygrl
DIS Veteran

We didn't have a problem with waiting to be seated. It was the service. We have always loved GG but the service has always been AWFUL. I chalked it up to bad timing and it would not be an issue this time. WELL, the menu has been changed from catfish to Mahi Mahi (didn't know that) and I was disappointed. Our server took forever to get us our food and drink refills. I really disliked giving an 18% tip. The girl seemed overworked and tired so we didn't complain to manager.

Boma wait time 5 minutes
LTT wait time about 10-15 minutes on it was on the MNSSHP nite
Chefs de france no wait
Ohana 10-15 minute
GG 10-15 minute
Ohana breakfast 5 minute
1900 Park Fare 30 minutes ONLY because I requested the main dining room
CM 5-10 minutes
CP breakfast 5 minutes
Old 10-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
gracie1
DIS Veteran

I thought 18% gratuity is only for parties of 6 or more? Or am I wrong? There are only two of us going. Will they add 18% to our bill? Were paying oop (no dining plan). If service is as bad as you said I will not be paying 18% I normally tip 20% but from what you experienced I would not
Old 10-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
Belle4mygrl
DIS Veteran

sorry for that confusion. You are right. There was 6 of us that night.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Thanks! Just wanted to double check

Sorry you had such bad service. This will be our first trip to wdw and I hope we have a good experience
Old 10-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #13
faindrops27
I love free DDP but love going on cruises too! My favorite cruiseline is RCCL. But will be sailing NCL for the first time Breakaway 13'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
I thought 18% gratuity is only for parties of 6 or more? Or am I wrong? There are only two of us going. Will they add 18% to our bill? Were paying oop (no dining plan). If service is as bad as you said I will not be paying 18% I normally tip 20% but from what you experienced I would not
The servers have nothing to do with how long you wait..

Old 10-10-2009, 01:42 AM   #14
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
My sister and I came back last week and were on the dining plan. The bill for extra drinks/food would be added up (along with food incuded in the plan) and then 2 totals - 18% and 20% were shown at the bottom of the bill for suggested gratuities. So if you order the really expensive entrees, your tip is more - even though the entree is in the Dining Plan. The main course and dessert were not charged and it was up to you to decide how much to tip but the implication was pretty clear - the lowest amount seemed to be 18% for the 2 of us.

I was also baffled at the empty tables inside the restaurants while outside was pure mayhem. 2 examples of this was Crystal Palace and Sci-Fi for lunch. Hordes of people - with the ADRs and walk-ups all standing in the same line to check-in. We had waits of at least 20 - 30" (which threw the RideMax schedule way off) and then saw loads of empty tables inside

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #15
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by faindrops27 View Post
The servers have nothing to do with how long you wait..
They do once your seated at their table. I agree they have nothing to do with you waiting to get your table....but it is on them once your seated (drinks, etc) not checking on you...having to find them for your check, etc.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: