Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Kies99
I Can has Cheezburger???

Need Christmas Idea for 6yo Girl

I have a 6yo Daughter in 1st grade. She is IMPOSSIBLE to buy for! She only shows interest in whatever her older sister (almost 8) is into, and then only for a short time.

I need help trying think of something for her for Christmas. The older one we are getting a Nintendo DS or DSi and we need something "bigger" for the 6yo.

We've taken her to toy stores in the past by herself and tried to gauge her interest, but can't get any ideas. She has an MP3 player, but doesn't really use it. We have a Wii which she likes, but only certain games and gets enjoyment watching her sister play it. We don't want TV's in their rooms so that's out.

HELP!!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, bacon in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

Some people are like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Kies99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
HLDisney
DIS Veteran

FWIW, my DD got herself a Nintendo DS when she was in 1st grade (she paid for half and I paid for half) so you could get both girls their own DS.

Helen
Second trip with DD (and 2 single mom friends and their DDs), Nov 2007, Pop Century
Trip with relatives, Nov 2008, CSR
Finally, another trip with DD and her BFF and her mom (same as 1st trip) and younger brother, Nov 2011, POR
HLDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Ashlander
DIS Veteran

I agree that the DS for your daughter may be the way to go. My son 7 got one for Christmas last year and my daughter want to play it all the time. For my sanity she also received one for her 6th birthday a couple months after Christmas.

Another idea would be a digital camera. We bought Kodak easyshare camera's for our kids. They loved them. They were about $80 each.

Me, DH, DS(11), DD(10), DD(8)

Ashlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

I agree with getting them both DS's. My guess is your younger one will be asking to play with it and wishing she had gotten her own. You can get them each different age appropriate games, which they may even enjoy sharing, and as your older DD moves on, her games can be passed down to your younger DD.

Last edited by sksjasams; 10-06-2009 at 01:12 PM.
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
santa's surpriz
DIS Veteran

My dd is the same age and I ask myself the same questions! She has a DS and loves it. She has an Ipod and loves that too. I usually lean towards crafty items. I asked her what she wanted and the response was clothes. I thought I had a few more years before that came along. I am planning to get her nail stuff (a dryer kit thing a ma jig from Justice.) I bought some Hannah stuff on the disney.com for her room. She has become obsessed with Wizards of Waverly Place but there is not much out there yet. It's a tough age, not a kid and not a tween. I'll be watching to see what ideas pop up.
santa's surpriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
sunlover13
No Chef boyardee here!

My DD turns 7 in a week and she has been asking for all American Girl Doll stuff..........

Do you have a store near you? We are taking her to the store to get her doll's hair braided & ears pierced for her b-day.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Jennabeth
Mouseketeer

Ds

We got our (almost 7 year old) a DS last year, along with her older sister (8). They love playing Mario Cart together (only have to buy one game) and chatting. I'm so glad we got two, I have a feeling there would be a lot of fighting if we just got one.
Jennabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
Perditamarie
DIS Veteran

Here are some ideas:

* treehouse:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Basic-Ho...4850652&sr=8-1

* dollhouse for barbies and some LIV dolls

* American Girl doll....special on QVC on 10/25

Although, I do have to agree that getting them both a DS will solve your problem. My guys laugh like hyenas when they play Mario Kart together...only need 1 game for that too. I am looking for more Mario games like that this year....nothing so soothing as brothers whol usually argue hootin' like hyenas!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
All American
DIS Veteran

My niece, dare I say it, is all about the Zhu Zhu Pets this year. (I'll let my sister talk to Santa about that one.) She also loves crafts, so I'll probably pick up a few things for her in that department.

DH Me DD DD
All American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
santa's surpriz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American View Post
My niece, dare I say it, is all about the Zhu Zhu Pets this year. (I'll let my sister talk to Santa about that one.) She also loves crafts, so I'll probably pick up a few things for her in that department.
I count my lucky stars that dd has not discovered Zhu Zhu pets yet!
santa's surpriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
Wilsonfamily4
DIS Veteran

We got my DD7 a DS for this Christmas and decided we might as well get DS5 one as well. They pick things up so easily at this age.

My daughter loves her littlest pet shop, American girl doll, and legos.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

My niece is 6 and she's really into Littlest Pet Shop.

I also think a DS for her is a good idea.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
vegasnative
DIS Veteran

An Ipod Shuffle. My boys all got them last year, it is the small Ipod, $49, comes in cool colors, and they hold 200 songs. My kids love theirs! Crud, I just read that she doesn't use her MP3 player.....hmmmm, what about one of those dance things. You plug it into the TV and have to dance along to the footsteps. They have them to where they could both play it or a single player. It's like a big fold out dance pad, and the pad marks their progress in the game. It's like the video game Dance Dance Revolution, but made for a reasonable cost to play at home.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
holden
DIS Veteran

We have the same problem with our DD6. She doesn't play with toys. We go with American Girl doll stuff, crafty things, outdoor things (bike, helmet, inline skates,etc.), clothes, shoes (I splurged on UGGS for her), books, etc.

We did, however buy one toy so far for Christmas. DD6 is really into ancient Egypt (she's being Cleopatra for Halloween), so we ordered the Playmobil Egyptian pyramid. I think she'll play with it and if she doesn't DD2 will (at some point anyway). We are also getting her a guitar (DH is a musician) so she can begin lessons.

HTH
DD - 7
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #15
mom2threecuties
Mouseketeer

I agree that a DS may be the way to go. Each of my younger kids has a DS, and they use them to 'chat' with each other and race against each other in games.
mom2threecuties is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: