DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
vac'nlovr
Earning My Ears

Using DVC for RCI exchange properties

How easy/convenient is it to use your DVC timeshare for non-Disney properties? I can't see our family coming back to Disney more than once every 3-5 years, would it make sense for us to buy into DVC to use for all the RCI exhange properties?

ASMusic 09/2007 Bay Lake Tower 09/2009
vac'nlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

If you truly plan to visit WDW every 3-5 years it will likely be financially responsible to pay cash for your reservations at Disney resorts and look for another system to use for trades to other resorts. There are a number of other timeshare systems that are equal to or better than DVC that are also les costly.

In addition, I would not purchase DVC expecting to stay at RCI resorts forever. RCI was the original exchange company for DVC from 1991 thru 1994 and then Interval International was the company used for that program from 1995 thru 2008.

The association with RCI began again in January of this year.

There are many less costly ways to exchange to other resorts and locations especially if you plan to mostly use that aspect for your travels.

DVC is not for everyone and even though it has worked well for our family it might not be the best match for yours.

Good luck with your decision!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

IMO, no.

you can buy RCI properties for much, much less than DVC resorts if you want to buy a timeshare to trade in RCI. the annual dues will usually be much lower as well.

buy DVC to use at DVC resorts.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by vac'nlovr View Post
How easy/convenient is it to use your DVC timeshare for non-Disney properties? I can't see our family coming back to Disney more than once every 3-5 years, would it make sense for us to buy into DVC to use for all the RCI exhange properties?
No way, no how. Save up your money and pay cash through a deal with Disney for a trip every three to five years.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
KS_Disney_Dad
I am Keyser Soze

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Confused

Guess I'm confused as to why it's a bad deal...seems like RCI you have to pay MF to the resort, yearly fee to RCI, and a transaction fee every time you want to use your points. Am I missing something?

RCI Points® Transaction Fees
7 nights+ reservation $124 USD $131 CAD
6 night reservation $109 USD $115 CAD
5 night reservation $99 USD $105 CAD
4 night reservation $89 USD $94 CAD
3 night reservation $79 USD $83 CAD
2 night reservation $59 USD $62 CAD
1 night reservation $39 USD $41 CAD

I realize that you pay $95 fee when you DVC to RCI, but that's cheaper then if you're a RCI member for 5+ nights.

I'm probably missing something that helps it all make sense.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Disney_Dad View Post
Guess I'm confused as to why it's a bad deal...seems like RCI you have to pay MF to the resort, yearly fee to RCI, and a transaction fee every time you want to use your points. Am I missing something? <snip>
I'm probably missing something that helps it all make sense.
What you are missing is that both the purchase costs and annual maintenance fees of most non-DVC timeshare will be significantly less than buying/maintaining DVC for exchanges.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
What you are missing is that both the purchase costs and annual maintenance fees of most non-DVC timeshare will be significantly less than buying/maintaining DVC for exchanges.
What bwvBound is saying is that you can pick up an RCI timeshare for a whole lot less than you can a DVC timeshare. DVC is best used for DVC most of the time and a very infrequent "outside of DVC" stay. You're better off getting a good trading timeshare, use that to make all your trades and either trade into DVC with that OR buy a small point resale contract and use banking and borrowing for an trip every three years. But if you really think every three years will be too often, skip DVC altogether and just buy someone you can use for those other vacation.

Then check out the WDW specials every so often, like the buy 4 get 3 free or some other special and go then.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
dclfun
DIS Veteran

I agree- don't buy DVC, which includes premium properties, to stay at an RCI location (which has some nice places, but some dumps). I looked into booking an RCI exchange for my daughter's honeymoon and called DVC about several choices- none were available. Then I took a closer look at these places online- UGH!!! Shag carpet, 70's theming, not many amenities and I realized I'm glad I didn't give them that as a gift. I found something with cash instead and saved my points for Disney. There are RCI resales for about $1500-2K out there, so if you want to use RCI then best to look for a resale at a property with good trading value. Buy DVC if you want to stay primarily at a Disney property.---Kathy

Skye sitting in the "poop deck" on the Disney Dream, April, 2011. We just returned from a back to back cruise on the Dream, so she's now sailed 12 times on DCL!
dclfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
Dean
DIS Veteran

There are several related issues here. IMO, buying DVC to come to WDW every 3-5 years is not reasonable regardless of other plans. Trading DVC routinely is an extremely poor choice. As noted, it's far too expensive both up front and yearly. In addition, many of those much cheaper options actually trade better and give you more options than does DVC.

If I wanted to trade routinely I'd buy something else and for every 3-5 years to Disney maybe something that might trade to DVC. You can always rent privately or through RCI for those occassional stays if necessary. What else would be best is totally dependent on all of the other specifics including where you want to go, travel habits, budget, etc. Even if the cost were reasonable, the limitations on trading using DVC makes it non workable IMO. And in spite of what some think, DVC really doesn't trade all that well though maybe a little better than it did in II.

As a quick and extreme example, we are in Cabo in 2010. Our total cost including indirect timeshare expenses for the rooms is somewhere in the $1000 to $1200 range for 3 units (a 1 BR, a 2 BR and a 3 BR). These are all top notch, Gold Crown properties on the DVC exchange lists. Were we trading DVC, the costs would be over 1800 DVC points valued at roughly $20K.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:58 AM   #10
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

As a quick and extreme example, we are in Cabo in 2010. Our total cost including indirect timeshare expenses for the rooms is somewhere in the $1000 to $1200 range for 3 units (a 1 BR, a 2 BR and a 3 BR). These are all top notch, Gold Crown properties on the DVC exchange lists. Were we trading DVC, the costs would be over 1800 DVC points valued at roughly $20K.
While I agree with the basic premise regarding not buying DVC for trips every 3-5 years, I don't understand how those units at Cabo would cost over 1800 DVC points.

From the World Passport Collection the total points for a high season 1BR (160), 2BR (270) and 3BR (349) would be 779 points with an indirect timeshare expense of around $4000 (annual maintenance fees - depending on which resort you own) and including the $95 exchange fee. It is still more than the $1000-1200 cost you are using, but far from $20K. Whether the World Passport Collection could even secure that resort in Cabo is also another issue.

World Passport Collection
Studio. 106 Low/123 Mid/134 High
1 BR.... 124 Low/144 Mid/160 High
2 BR.....207 Low/252 Mid/270 High
3 BR.....276 Low/317 Mid/349 High
Old 10-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterDoc View Post
While I agree with the basic premise regarding not buying DVC for trips every 3-5 years, I don't understand how those units at Cabo would cost over 1800 DVC points.

From the World Passport Collection the total points for a high season 1BR (160), 2BR (270) and 3BR (349) would be 779 points with an indirect timeshare expense of around $4000 (annual maintenance fees - depending on which resort you own) and including the $95 exchange fee. It is still more than the $1000-1200 cost you are using, but far from $20K. Whether the World Passport Collection could even secure that resort in Cabo is also another issue.

World Passport Collection
Studio. 106 Low/123 Mid/134 High
1 BR.... 124 Low/144 Mid/160 High
2 BR.....207 Low/252 Mid/270 High
3 BR.....276 Low/317 Mid/349 High
Because 2 of them are at the Grand Mayan which is only available through DVC as part of RCI's premier collection. I'm not where I can check right now (on dial up) but I think it was 600 pts for the 1 BR, 900 for the 2 BR and 349 for the 3 BR. The valuation is based on rental value.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Because 2 of them are at the Grand Mayan which is only available through DVC as part of RCI's premier collection. I'm not where I can check right now (on dial up) but I think it was 600 pts for the 1 BR, 900 for the 2 BR and 349 for the 3 BR. The valuation is based on rental value.
Now that I am home, I can confirm that the numbers above are indeed accurate. I was blanking on the name of the program and it's "The Registry Collection" and this is a subset called "Signature Selections" though it looks like Disney has hand picked resorts from the program overall and not just the Signature Selections portion. Looking through the list, it seems their adding more and more none high end resorts to this system including several Wyndhams.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
vac'nlovr
Earning My Ears

Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. You have confirmed what I thought was the case, but wanted some "expert" opinions.

ASMusic 09/2007 Bay Lake Tower 09/2009
vac'nlovr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: