Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

25,000 WDW Unionized Hourly Workers Will Get Raises This Week

Raises for Walt Disney World workers could pump more money into the Orlando-area economy.

By Jason Garcia and Sara K. Clarke
Sentinel Staff Writers
October 5, 2009

Despite the still-struggling economy, about 25,000 unionized hourly workers at Walt Disney World are getting raises this week.

The raises, which will range from 4 percent to 5 percent for most workers, are part of a three-year contract that the resort and Service Trades Council Union negotiated in April 2007. Another 4,000 tipped employees will get raises at the end of the year.

The trade council — an umbrella group representing half a dozen smaller unions whose members include costumed characters, hotel maids, stagehands, monorail drivers and many more — estimates that the raises will add between $15 million and $20 million dollars of purchasing power to the local economy.

That contract expires a year from now.

Look for a new round of negotiations between Central Florida's largest employer and the trade council to begin early next year.
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

That's probably one of the reasons the cost of parking went up. Considering the state of the economy those are awful good raises. I'll bet the negotiations next year will be very tough because Disney had to give out such big raises during these hard economic times. Hopefully, the unions are realize that and not demand unrealistic concessions.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
bgohre
Always be the second one in the outhouse. It's going to smell anyway so you might as well have a warm seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMickey View Post
Hopefully, the unions are realize that and not demand unrealistic concessions.

Thats funny.
bgohre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
DVC_Chris
Is there anything I don't know?

Considering the fact that the average worker at WDW makes less than his or her counterpart at Universal, I am happy for them.
Disney Magic 2/17/2007 (ROY SUITE), 7 Night 2/14/2009
Disney Dream - 5 Night - 4/10/2012

DLP - Summer 1994
DL - Summers 1988, 1996, and 2004 (Honeymoon), February 2011

3 Mountain and a Boat DVC Member

3 Time Survivor of the WDW College Program

Looking up, that could be way too much Mouse for a thirty-something...
DVC_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Let's see.

The Federal (and Florida) minimum wage is currently $7.25 per hour. So new hires have to get at least that amount.

Admittedly I am part time, but two months ago I completed four years of employment at WDW. I'm not sure exactly what my new pay rate will be, but I know this increase will put me up to where I will now be getting about $8.30 per hour.

That is less than 15% more than a new hire with zero experience.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
bgohre
Always be the second one in the outhouse. It's going to smell anyway so you might as well have a warm seat.

Man that stinks!

Seriously, if that's all they are paying you guys why am I paying so much for fountain pop?
bgohre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgohre View Post
Man that stinks!

Seriously, if that's all they are paying you guys why am I paying so much for fountain pop?
Shareholders want their return. Just because you pay high prices for something doesn't mean it equates to wages or benefits for the common worker, usually it has to do with profits and pay at the higher levels.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
Mouseaholic!!!
DIS Veteran

The wage increase negotiated is over the length of the contract (3 years) not 5% in one year alone.

And as distressing as it sounds.....Disney actually pays NOTHING for Coke products. It's negotiated as "advertising" for Coke. That's why we carry Coke cups everywhere around the parks vs. WDW cups.

The reason Disney increased parking is simply.......because they can. Until it affects attendance, they will continue quietly raise the prices of everything they can --- little bits at a time hoping we will not notice.

As I have been reminded before here.....it's Disney's responsibility to make $$$. They do it well.
Mouseaholic!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
Admittedly I am part time, but two months ago I completed four years of employment at WDW. I'm not sure exactly what my new pay rate will be, but I know this increase will put me up to where I will now be getting about $8.30 per hour.

That is less than 15% more than a new hire with zero experience.
Just wondering, what is your job at Disney World? It may help us realize how valuable you are and what your job would be worth elsewhere.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Typhoon Lagoon Guest Services & Ticket Sales & Turnstiles.

Of course, before I retired my salary, based on a 40 hour week six years ago, was $52.30 per hour. And with several sources of retirement income my Disney income is about 5% of my total income.

But there are people who do work full-time at this rate (plus overtime when possible) as it is their only source of income. This is why I work only a maximum of two days a week, and my supervisors all know that if they are overstaffed I am willing to be released early so someone who really needs the hours can get them.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 AM   #11
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
But there are people who do work full-time at this rate (plus overtime when possible) as it is their only source of income.
1) Per the union contract, some sample min-max old / min-max new job pay.
. . . $10.25-$15.24 / $10.55-15.70 - for Bus Drivers
. . . $8.75-$12.93 / $9.00-$13.38 - for character performers
. . . $8.00-$12.47 / $8.25-$12/92 - for maids (plus some very nice pay incentives)
. . . $7.80-$12.74 / $7.90-$13.19 - for Monorail Driver 1
. . . $7.35-$12.12 / $7.45-$12.57 - for Resort Front Desk
2) In some cases, both husband and wife work at Disney.
3) In MANY cases, hus/wife/kids get food stamps and subsidized housing.

NOTE: The pay is low, but health insurance and other benefits are very good.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #12
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouseaholic!!! View Post
The wage increase negotiated is over the length of the contract (3 years) not 5% in one year alone.

And as distressing as it sounds.....Disney actually pays NOTHING for Coke products. It's negotiated as "advertising" for Coke. That's why we carry Coke cups everywhere around the parks vs. WDW cups.

The reason Disney increased parking is simply.......because they can. Until it affects attendance, they will continue quietly raise the prices of everything they can --- little bits at a time hoping we will not notice.

As I have been reminded before here.....it's Disney's responsibility to make $$$. They do it well.
100% profit - you gotta love Disney
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) Per the union contract, some sample min-max old / min-max new job pay.
. . . $10.25-$15.24 / $10.55-15.70 - for Bus Drivers
. . . $8.75-$12.93 / $9.00-$13.38 - for character performers
. . . $8.00-$12.47 / $8.25-$12/92 - for maids (plus some very nice pay incentives)
. . . $7.80-$12.74 / $7.90-$13.19 - for Monorail Driver 1
. . . $7.35-$12.12 / $7.45-$12.57 - for Resort Front Desk
It's interesting that bus drivers are the highest paid of any one. I guess being part of the rumor mill has its benefits. I'm also surprised to see that front desk personnel are on the lowest end of the scale since they have the most direct interaction with visitors. In most parts of the resort industry maids are the lowest since they have the least direct interaction with visitors.
Quote:
NOTE: The pay is low, but health insurance and other benefits are very good.
How many hours per week does an employee have to work to be eligible for Health Insurance and other benefits? I'm assuming this is one of the reasons many retired people want to work for Disney?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #14
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMickey View Post
How many hours per week does an employee have to work to be eligible for Health Insurance and other benefits? I'm assuming this is one of the reasons many retired people want to work for Disney?

1) Full-Time is 30-hrs per week.
2) Part-Time is less, but their insurance has minimal coverage.

NOTE: Full-Time also means that you can be forced to work up to 14-hrs per day and 7-days per week, without complaint or recourse. They can also tell you 7-hrs into your shift that you are working 14-hrs.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
Joeguitar
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) Full-Time is 30-hrs per week.
2) Part-Time is less, but their insurance has minimal coverage.

NOTE: Full-Time also means that you can be forced to work up to 14-hrs per day and 7-days per week, without complaint or recourse. They can also tell you 7-hrs into your shift that you are working 14-hrs.
So basically the union doesn't have THAT much pull then?? Is that because of the college program?
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

~Walt Disney~
Joeguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: