Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
dmwang9
Agent P's sidekick-in-training

buying into DVC

I just took my next step towards full-blown Disney addiction -- I've decided to buy into DVC. I'm looking at a 150-point contract at BWV via resale. I've run the numbers till I'm blue in the spreadsheets, and the breakeven point for me is somewhere around 8 - 10 years in the future, which I can more than live with. I happen to have the money available, and I like the idea of "prepaying" for my vacations for the foreseeable future. Moreover, as my father put to me earlier this weekend, "You're so obsessed with Disney that buying into DVC is going to make you incredibly happy. Go for it."

As someone who is in his early 40's and terminally single, this is the longest-term relationship I've ever considered....

I'm sure that there are DVC members on this board. Any thoughts?

DLR: off site (8/74), GC (2/01), DLH (10/07, Gay Days Anaheim), VGC (3/13), off site (12/13), off site (2/14)
WDW: Swan (7/03, Nimbus), CR (8/06), Dolphin (8/07), Swan (6/08), Swan (6/09), BWV (7/10), BWV (7/11), BWV (6/12), SSR (6/13), BWV (3/14, Flower and Garden), AKL-Kidani (10/14, Food and Wine)
Universal: Royal Pacific (7/10, Infinitus), Portofino Bay (7/12, Ascendio)
Cruises: Dream (7/11, 4 night Bahamas), Dream (6/12, PCC 3.0, 5 night Bahamas), Fantasy (6/13, 7 night W Caribbean)
ABD: DIS Backstage Magic (7/14)
dmwang9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

We're DVC members here. From a cost benefit perspective, if you're staying on property and won't or don't want to stay off-site it works very well.

But remember, you pay a premium to stay on site, even if most of the resorts are not from a service/quality perspective a true 5 star resort (even Grand Floridian isn't). There are not many places in the world that the resorts Disney offers could justify their mark-up in price compared to off-site resorts.

We ran the numbers just like you though and it really made a lot of sense for us to buy in based on the resort levels we like to stay at, when we like to go and that we wanted larger accomodations to be able to bring more friends and family with us.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
Saxton
DIS Veteran

I may not be the most objective person but I'll tell anyone it's the best decision I've ever made. I have 3 contracts - 2 (OKW & BWV) that I purchased via resale and 1 (AKV)that I purchased direct from Disney. I analyzed the numbers for a long time before I moved forward and it made sense for me. I've been able to take family & friends and everyone has raved about it. My father has been ill for a while now so I haven't been able to go as often but the flexibility in that situation is great - in March I found out that I could get a break from taking care of my parents and booked a last minute trip. WDW was booked solid so the rep. asked if I ever thought about going to DL and within a matter of minutes the entire trip was booked!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

We own 210 points at AKV.

We figured since we were staying at AKL anyway, and paying about $3000 per year in hotel fees, we might as well buy DVC.
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
soulmates
traveling through life, with the one I love

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwang9 View Post
I just took my next step towards full-blown Disney addiction -- I've decided to buy into DVC. I'm looking at a 150-point contract at BWV via resale. I've run the numbers till I'm blue in the spreadsheets, and the breakeven point for me is somewhere around 8 - 10 years in the future, which I can more than live with. I happen to have the money available, and I like the idea of "prepaying" for my vacations for the foreseeable future. Moreover, as my father put to me earlier this weekend, "You're so obsessed with Disney that buying into DVC is going to make you incredibly happy. Go for it."

As someone who is in his early 40's and terminally single, this is the longest-term relationship I've ever considered....

I'm sure that there are DVC members on this board. Any thoughts?
This is something we REALLY want. Planning for our Committmen Ceremony next year, so putting it off for awhile. I'm very interested to hear how buying from RESALE works out for you. That to me, seems the way to go.

I'd like to hear your feedback when its' all said & done!!

Chris
Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
DVC~OKW~96
I'm not big on gold as a color. As a metal...that's another story
Spreading the word is an important thing!

Welcome Home! We have been DVC owners since, well... 1996! LOL. Our home resort is OKW and it's still our favorite, but we do like almost all of WDW DVC resorts.

You will really enjoy your DVC. We wish we'd bought more points now, looking back as I can't bring myself to pay today's point prices!

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
Heather Small
DVC~OKW~96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
jenn&nelsonrego
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP Happiness is marrying someone you can annoy for the rest of your life!

We bought in 2001. Our home resort is HH. We have already more than broken even on our purchase price and most of the dues!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
hematite153
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

We've been DVC members for 3 years and just bought a 2nd contract via resale too.

One warning...we've ended up staying in nicer accommodations than we would have without being DVC members. So, the savings take awhile longer to really stack up. But, I also REALLY LIKE getting to stay in the better accommodations.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
PghLybrt
DIS Veteran

We now have 3.......all at Bay lake with 440 points.
Once I started I could not stop!! LOL
However I have booked a trip in a 2 bedroom this year for the nephews and I have my dad booked for a week too! Next year is the grand Villa for all of my GF's family!!! ( Well lets cross our fingers I get it. I have the date marked on the calendar to call 1st thing!!!)
PghLybrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
dan and scott
DIS Veteran

We've been members since 98.
We have 525pts at the BW with another 200pts at BLT.
Now starting to really enjoy DVC because the BW contracts are paid off and a good chunk of BLT is paid off.
We've had some amazing vacations over the yrs. including the Grand Cal. at Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, 18 Disney Magic cruises including a Panama repo in 05 and a Trans-Atlantic in 07.
Most of the time our family and friends come with us.
We've stayed at OKW, Jambo AKV, Kidani AKV, Saratoga--Never again, BLT, and of course our beloved BWV.
We did splurge on 1 of our trips on a single story Grand Villa at BW which was awesome!!

Scott
Old 10-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran

I was a member beginning early 2000 with my partner. We split in 2005. My only regret from the split is that we sold our BWV contract. We could have alternated years and worked it out. Oh how I wish I was going "home" in December instead of to CBR (which I'm sure will be lovely).

It was great being able to bring friends and family. We even hosted a cocktail party one evening during the gay days week and invited people we met on the trip. That was fun! Wouldn't have been able to do that in a regular hotel room, but it worked in the 2 bdr. villa.
Stinky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
vascubaguy
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
I can still remember taking that pic of the queen

We are members and have bought a contract via resale, sold a contract, and added on thru DVC too. I too did the breakeven and it made sense to buy, but after a couple of years, I didn't really care about the cost analysis as much. We just go and enjoy it.

Now is definitely a great time to buy via resale if you have the funds to do it. I would really like to add on some BLT points, but I'm restraining myself at the moment.
WDW Offsite: 05/1994, 12/2003, DL Offsite: 08/2004, WDW ADMo: 05/2005, DL Anabella: 10/2005, WDW BWV: 03/2006, WDW POR: 04/2006, WDW OKW: 10/2006, WDW SSR: 12/2006-1/2007, 10/2007, 11/2008, DL Hotel: 04/2008, WDW AKV: 06/2009, 11/2010, 5/2011, 9/2014, WDW BLT: 10/2009, 11/2013

vascubaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
DVC~OKW~96
I'm not big on gold as a color. As a metal...that's another story
Spreading the word is an important thing!

Quote:
We even hosted a cocktail party one evening during the gay days week and invited people we met on the trip. That was fun! Wouldn't have been able to do that in a regular hotel room, but it worked in the 2 bdr. villa.
Hey now! There's an idea! Grand Villa, Gay Days, cocktail party... Hmmmm...

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
It's never too late to try
Heather Small
DVC~OKW~96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Hmmm...I never considered a break even point. Owning DVC gives me an excuse to visit.... at LEAST twice a year!!
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
dmwang9
Agent P's sidekick-in-training

quick update

Yesterday I signed the contracts and mailed them off (along with the check for the deposit) to the reseller people, and they arrived safely today. I now head into ROFR and have set a countdown timer on my MacBook to let me know when the 30 days are up. I'm not too worried -- the price per point I'm paying is well within the range of what I've seen other BWV resales go for -- but still, it's a waiting period, and thus my over-anxious brain wants to get worked up about it.

DLR: off site (8/74), GC (2/01), DLH (10/07, Gay Days Anaheim), VGC (3/13), off site (12/13), off site (2/14)
WDW: Swan (7/03, Nimbus), CR (8/06), Dolphin (8/07), Swan (6/08), Swan (6/09), BWV (7/10), BWV (7/11), BWV (6/12), SSR (6/13), BWV (3/14, Flower and Garden), AKL-Kidani (10/14, Food and Wine)
Universal: Royal Pacific (7/10, Infinitus), Portofino Bay (7/12, Ascendio)
Cruises: Dream (7/11, 4 night Bahamas), Dream (6/12, PCC 3.0, 5 night Bahamas), Fantasy (6/13, 7 night W Caribbean)
ABD: DIS Backstage Magic (7/14)
dmwang9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: