Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #121
mandyb
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 78

Ok I have a question about tipping on free dining. We have never done any dining plan before so I have no idea how the receipts look. Will our receipt have the amount the meal would have cost if we weren't using dining plan credits? That's all I need to figure up my tips on the spot but I want to be sure there will be an amount somewhere, even if we aren't actually paying anything for our meals. No way am I going to try to figure up ahead of time what we would eat and how much it would cost! I'll just carry enough cash on me to handle the tips as we go
mandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #122
2DisPrincesses
DIS Veteran
 
2DisPrincesses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,289

CRT and TIW?

If I remember correctly, CRT includes the tip.

So when I use TIW, will the 18% not be added and will we then just get the 20% off?
__________________
(Me) (DH) (DD,8 ) (DD,5)

2DisPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #123
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony
 
Tricia1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 9,690
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyb View Post
Ok I have a question about tipping on free dining. We have never done any dining plan before so I have no idea how the receipts look. Will our receipt have the amount the meal would have cost if we weren't using dining plan credits? That's all I need to figure up my tips on the spot but I want to be sure there will be an amount somewhere, even if we aren't actually paying anything for our meals. No way am I going to try to figure up ahead of time what we would eat and how much it would cost! I'll just carry enough cash on me to handle the tips as we go

They do exactly as you said. Your receipts will show the total as if the DDP didn't apply. At the bottom they also have the tips automatically figured for 18% and 20%. What you tip is up to you. (unless you're a party of 6 or more, then you're subject to an auto gratuity of 18%)
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #124
mandyb
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia1972 View Post
They do exactly as you said. Your receipts will show the total as if the DDP didn't apply. At the bottom they also have the tips automatically figured for 18% and 20%. What you tip is up to you. (unless you're a party of 6 or more, then you're subject to an auto gratuity of 18%)
Perfect, thank you!
mandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #125
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard
 
2Tiggies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Too many stripes away from Tigger
Posts: 19,562

Just to add to that, the servers don't know that you are on Free Dining. All they need to know is that you are on the Dining Plan so that they can ring up your order appropriately
__________________
October 2010 Trip Report

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #126
Mom2OakandEm
Mouseketeer
 
Mom2OakandEm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 111

I have a tipping questions, but it's not related to dining so I'm hoping I'm asking this in the right place.

Out side of servers at TS restaurants who do you tip at WDW?

I have heard that CM can not accept tips is that true? I know people leave tips for the Mousekeepers but what about the bus drivers (Magical Express & transportation from hotel to parks) and the people in the golf carts driving around the resort. Do you tip them if you catch a ride?

I just don't want to forget to tip someone if their livelihood depends on it.

Thanks for any advice
__________________
Me - DH - DD - DD
Sept '08 - SSR - 1st Trip - Year of a Million Dreams - Oak's Surprise Birthday Trip
Sept '10 - CSR,Sept. '12 - POR
Oct. '13 - Disneyland - Emee's Surprise Birthday Trip
Sept. '15 - Already dreaming of our return to the Happiest Place on Earth.
Mom2OakandEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #127
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling
 
Pumbaa_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 8,555
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2OakandEm View Post
I have a tipping questions, but it's not related to dining so I'm hoping I'm asking this in the right place.

Out side of servers at TS restaurants who do you tip at WDW?

I have heard that CM can not accept tips is that true? I know people leave tips for the Mousekeepers but what about the bus drivers (Magical Express & transportation from hotel to parks) and the people in the golf carts driving around the resort. Do you tip them if you catch a ride?

I just don't want to forget to tip someone if their livelihood depends on it.

Thanks for any advice

Sorry can't help, this thread is dedicated to dining
__________________
Jody ºOº
Co-Moderator Restaurant Board
Pumbaa_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #128
Dreamer24
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 233

I have a bunch of $25 gift cards that I would like to use for tipping but with 2 people, most of our tips will not be $25. How does this work, when I give the card, will I get it back with a certain amount left on it, get cash back? Am I better off not using the gift cards?
Dreamer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #129
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony
 
Tricia1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 9,690
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer24 View Post
I have a bunch of $25 gift cards that I would like to use for tipping but with 2 people, most of our tips will not be $25. How does this work, when I give the card, will I get it back with a certain amount left on it, get cash back? Am I better off not using the gift cards?
You'll be fine using the gift cards.

I am assuming that you're on the dining plan so your meals are already paid for, and that's where the question comes in.

At the end of the meal you'll be presented with a receipt. Write how much you want to tip on the tip line. When the server comes back, ask them to deduct the meal plan credits from your KTTW card and put the rest on the Gift Card.

They'll do that and bring back your gift card with any remaining balance.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #130
Jcricket Fan
UConn Basketball Fan
 
Jcricket Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: CT
Posts: 966

Not sure if we will go with the DxDP or just use the TIW card or a combo of both!

Please help me with my thoughts:

Will I automatically receive 2 bills (or perhaps I need to ask for this?) one for the alcohol using the TIW discount and 18% auto tip and then get a bill for the food portion that is covered under DxDP where I can add what ever tip amt. I choose?

OR

Will one bill come with food & alcohol together? I don't want to short change anyone but I also don't want to tip twice for the alcohol when an auto 18% will be figured in for the TIW.

I think I am making this more complicated in my head than it actually may be.


Thanks for any direction you can give on this.
Peace.
Colleen
Jcricket Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #131
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,674

Two bills.

One shows your DDP purchases and what 18% and 20% of that amount are for the Guest's convenience only. It's not a demand.

The other will show everything else. Alcohol, yes, plus anything else you may opt to purchase that's not included in your dining plan. If you have the basic/original DDP, appetizers aren't included - so if you choose to get, say, the cheese soup at Le Cellier, this would be on that second check as well. This check has the mandatory 18% service charge, calculated on the original pre-tax total; then 20% is deducted from the pre-tax/pre-tip total.

Say your total non-DDP purchase is $10 - $4 for the soup and $6 for the wine (prices approximate aka made up ).
Purchase = $10
Service charge = $1.80
Tax = $.65
Discount = $2.00
$10 - $2 + $1.80 + $.65 = $10.45
Normal check (i.e. no TiW) $10 + $.65 + $1.8 = $12.45
__________________
OFFICIAL 2014 Reading Challenge Participant 32/52
Phone Monkey; Phone Monkey 2; Phone Monkey Declined; The Barkeep; Ultimate Guide to Soapmaking; Brief Anecdotes from an Amusing Life; Twisted Disney; Tony Partly Cloudy; The Alternative Guide to Nursery Rhymes; Dead Woman's Shoes; South of Normal; Wal-Mart Book of Ethics; Las Vegas Cab Life; Savvy Travelers Guide: Boston Red Sox; Professor Plausible's Big Book of Baloney; Sweet Masterpiece; The President's Brain is Missing; Why Your Flight Attendant Hates You; Dirty Numbers; My Life on Craigslist; Retail Memories: When Customer Attack; The Village Idiots Cruise Club; How to Find Your Soulmate on the Internet - NOT!; The Dining Doctor; Cars & Stars; Tales in the Sky; Reader's Digest The Dumb Book; An Amazon Verified Purchase; Adventures in Casino Security; Waiter Rant; Keep the Change; Fairy Tales from the I.R.S.; now (still) reading "Hot Doug's", along with 'Match Dot C'mon', 'Cliches: A Dictionary of Recieved Ideas', 'The Chase', and 'Real Happy Family'

Last edited by kaytieeldr; 07-05-2010 at 04:28 PM.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #132
Jcricket Fan
UConn Basketball Fan
 
Jcricket Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: CT
Posts: 966

Thank you Kaytieeldr for an excellent and easy to understand answer!

I am still deciding if the DxDP will work for us so this is great to know that if we go with the Plan we can use our TIW card and that will be handled as a separate transaction.

One more great mystery of life solved

Peace.
Colleen
Jcricket Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:02 AM   #133
TwiddleDeeTwiddleDum
Or was that Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum? I think my name is plenty long enough!
 
TwiddleDeeTwiddleDum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Buckeye State
Posts: 1,830

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Two bills.

One shows your DDP purchases and what 18% and 20% of that amount are for the Guest's convenience only. It's not a demand.

The other will show everything else. Alcohol, yes, plus anything else you may opt to purchase that's not included in your dining plan. If you have the basic/original DDP, appetizers aren't included - so if you choose to get, say, the cheese soup at Le Cellier, this would be on that second check as well. This check has the mandatory 18% service charge, calculated on the original pre-tax total; then 20% is deducted from the pre-tax/pre-tip total.

Say your total non-DDP purchase is $10 - $4 for the soup and $6 for the wine (prices approximate aka made up ).
Purchase = $10
Service charge = $1.80
Tax = $.65
Discount = $2.00
$10 - $2 + $1.80 + $.65 = $10.45
Normal check (i.e. no TiW) $10 + $.65 + $1.8 = $12.45
Our first time on DDP coming up on our trip next month

Learning here so bear with me (no TiW) Anything we order that is not covered on the DDP will have an automatic gratuity added of 18% to the bill?

But what we order using our DDP TScredits will NOT have an automatic gratuity (less than 6 of us) added to the bill but it will calculate what 18% or 20% tip on the pretax total would be?

So we pay OOP for the non-DDP check PLUS the tip on the DDP portion? If paying credit card or charging to room, will they do 2 separate charges or are they combined as one per restaurant? No wonder people get confused.
__________________
When You Wish Upon A Star Makes No Difference Who You Are



POFQ 2001 ASMovies 2003 CSR 2003 CBR 2004 with Hurricane Francis!
Swan 2005 ASsports 2008 ASMusic 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2531836
TwiddleDeeTwiddleDum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:48 AM   #134
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,674

Quote:
Learning here so bear with me (no TiW) Anything we order that is not covered on the DDP will have an automatic gratuity added of 18% to the bill?
No. The automatic service charge only applies if you (a) use the TiW card or (b) have six or more Guests dining together.

YOUR receipts - the DDP one, and one for non-DDP items, if any - will show you what 18% and 20% of each check is for your convenience. These amounts are not a command, merely suggestions. You may certainly tip the percentage you choose.
__________________
OFFICIAL 2014 Reading Challenge Participant 32/52
Phone Monkey; Phone Monkey 2; Phone Monkey Declined; The Barkeep; Ultimate Guide to Soapmaking; Brief Anecdotes from an Amusing Life; Twisted Disney; Tony Partly Cloudy; The Alternative Guide to Nursery Rhymes; Dead Woman's Shoes; South of Normal; Wal-Mart Book of Ethics; Las Vegas Cab Life; Savvy Travelers Guide: Boston Red Sox; Professor Plausible's Big Book of Baloney; Sweet Masterpiece; The President's Brain is Missing; Why Your Flight Attendant Hates You; Dirty Numbers; My Life on Craigslist; Retail Memories: When Customer Attack; The Village Idiots Cruise Club; How to Find Your Soulmate on the Internet - NOT!; The Dining Doctor; Cars & Stars; Tales in the Sky; Reader's Digest The Dumb Book; An Amazon Verified Purchase; Adventures in Casino Security; Waiter Rant; Keep the Change; Fairy Tales from the I.R.S.; now (still) reading "Hot Doug's", along with 'Match Dot C'mon', 'Cliches: A Dictionary of Recieved Ideas', 'The Chase', and 'Real Happy Family'
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #135
TwiddleDeeTwiddleDum
Or was that Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum? I think my name is plenty long enough!
 
TwiddleDeeTwiddleDum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Buckeye State
Posts: 1,830

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
No. The automatic service charge only applies if you (a) use the TiW card or (b) have six or more Guests dining together.

YOUR receipts - the DDP one, and one for non-DDP items, if any - will show you what 18% and 20% of each check is for your convenience. These amounts are not a command, merely suggestions. You may certainly tip the percentage you choose.
Thank you for clearing that up. Allow me to also inquire, if I were to charge the OOP bill to a credit card (or my resort) can I simply add in the tip amount enough to cover both the OOP & what I would tip on the DDP check? And if so, would I then write "cash" or "included on other receipt" on the DDP receipt?

I'd prefer seeing only 1 line item per restaurant when I get my statement since we'll have OOP charges on most of our meals for our adult beverages & an occasional appetiser
__________________
When You Wish Upon A Star Makes No Difference Who You Are



POFQ 2001 ASMovies 2003 CSR 2003 CBR 2004 with Hurricane Francis!
Swan 2005 ASsports 2008 ASMusic 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2531836
TwiddleDeeTwiddleDum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here's what a little PIXIE DUST can do ....... a dining review+pics COMPLETED!!!!! dizneeat Disney Dining Reviews 666 01-10-2012 12:46 AM
The Random Thread: Inspired by the last Random Thread marypops! Teen Disney 3760 11-01-2009 02:58 PM
Disboutiquers Part 17 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-) teresajoy Disney for Families 3742 10-23-2009 10:38 AM
Jon and Kate Plus 8 Official Thread - Part 6 newtodis Community Board 3748 10-08-2009 07:09 AM
Just back from Free Dining and MNSSHP...the good, the bad and the Raisins??? wendy1974 Completed Trip Reports 4 10-04-2009 08:18 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: