Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #766
SouthJersey
Yeah Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
nothing has changed at WDW. Auto grat goes directly onto the paycheck as it has for years
^This.
  • 2000 - Off Disney, Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista
  • 2001 - Port Orleans
  • 2007 - Wilderness Lodge *Favorite!*
  • 2008 - School Senior Trip, Sports Resort, Great Trip!
  • 2010 - Christmas Trip! First Disney trip with the GF and first trip I've booked myself.
  • 2012 - Food and Wine Festival - Wilderness Lodge
  • 2013 - Christmas Trip 2! - Caribbean Beach
Marines 3rd Battalion, 5th Regiment - Dark Horse battalion - of Camp Pendleton
0311 of the United States Marine Corps
2010 NPC NY Metropolitan - 1st Place Amateur Mid-Heavy Weight
2010 NPC NY Metropolitan - 3rd Place Men's Mid-Heavy Weight
SouthJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #767
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

I hope this question is allowed, but if not, please delete:
We'll have the pleasure of dining at V & A this August. I'm uncertain as to what percentage would be an appropriate tip for such fine dining. We'll be at the Chef's Table, if that makes a difference.
Normally I tip 20%. I assume I would increase that, but by how much?
I know this is a personal matter, but would appreciate a little guidance. I was thinking maybe 25 - 30%???
Do we tip the sommelier separately? Tho we love fine dining, we've never experienced anything on this level.
Thank you.
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #768
bellaally
DIS Veteran

cash tipping

I am going in january and will be on the dxdp. Now my question is since we have to pay with our bands or KTTK cards. What do we place when we wanting to tip cash. Do we put the amount in the tip area but explain we are paying cash. Do we leave blank then place the money on the table, or do we simply write cash in the line and put the money in the sleeve as well. would it be easy for us to just put it on a card?

bellaally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #769
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaally View Post
I am going in january and will be on the dxdp. Now my question is since we have to pay with our bands or KTTK cards. What do we place when we wanting to tip cash. Do we put the amount in the tip area but explain we are paying cash.
No. Do not do that.

Quote:
Do we leave blank then place the money on the table, or do we simply write cash in the line and put the money in the sleeve as well.
Either of those are fine. Most people prefer to write "cash" or draw a line through where the tip goes.

Quote:
would it be easy for us to just put it on a card?
You won't be able to just pay for the tip with a credit card, but you can just use your magic band to charge it to your room.

Dining at WDW (even on the dining plan) works just like dining at any other restaurant in the US. Just think of using your magic band as being the same as using a credit card.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #770
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post

You won't be able to just pay for the tip with a credit card, but you can just use your magic band to charge it to your room.
Actually you can. You write the tip amount on the tip line and insert your credit card in the sleeve. Tell the server to remove your dining credits and charge the tip to the credit card
Old 06-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #771
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
Actually you can. You write the tip amount on the tip line and insert your credit card in the sleeve. Tell the server to remove your dining credits and charge the tip to the credit card
Hmm...I didn't realize that.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 PM   #772
Mambo Junkie
Mouseketeer

I will be going in November and we will be a party of 6. I realize it is automatic 18% (we usually tip 20) but we don't want it on a cc. Is it just as easy to have a gift card for this? If we use the magic bands can we just go to the desk at checkout and pay the whole amount then?

edit to add: Sorry if this is redundant but I tried reading several pages.

Last edited by Mambo Junkie; 07-29-2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: add info
Mambo Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #773
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Junkie View Post
I will be going in November and we will be a party of 6. I realize it is automatic 18% (we usually tip 20) but we don't want it on a cc. Is it just as easy to have a gift card for this? If we use the magic bands can we just go to the desk at checkout and pay the whole amount then?

edit to add: Sorry if this is redundant but I tried reading several pages.
You can do any form of payment you choose including the options you have included, gift card or charging back to your room.

If you do charge back to your room do not wait until checkout because your card on file will be charged the night before checkout or once you hit your preset (by resort level) limit. Go every few nights and pay it off or atleast the morning before checkout.
Malibustyle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:49 PM   #774
Mambo Junkie
Mouseketeer

Thank you!
Mambo Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #775
mtabh
Earning My Ears

We will be party of four when we go in April (one newborn). If I am reading correctly when we use the DDP no tip will be added at table service restaurants, but a suggested tip amount will be on the receipt and we will write in what we prefer to tip and sign the receipt. That's the process when you settle your bill? Sounds simple enough. Is it customary to tip the same at a buffet or AYCTE as you tip at a sit down full service meal?

What are tip expectations at BBB? You generally tip a stylists or barber, so curious how BBB works.

December 2012 at All Star Movies (Mighty Ducks)
Booked: April 2015 at AoA (Little Mermaid)

mtabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #776
Pixeldust Fairy
DIS Veteran

I have a question. When we were at WDW in July of 2013 we ate at LTT. We were a party of 9 and we had separate tickets. We all paid in different ways, but we all left cash as a tip. When I returned to our hotel, I checked my balance on my credit card and there was a charge for dining on it for $12-$14. I called to see why there was a charge and I was told that LTT reported we had skipped out on the tip. Which we had not. Disney credited my card back, but it was still stressful.

Fast forward to this September, my brother and I will be going to WDW on the dining plan and we are responsible for tips as I understand. If we pay with cash, how do we ensure that this "mistake" does not happen again? We always tip and everyone in our party tipped on that day.

Take what you can, Give nothing back!
Pixeldust Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #777
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixeldust Fairy View Post
I have a question. When we were at WDW in July of 2013 we ate at LTT. We were a party of 9 and we had separate tickets. We all paid in different ways, but we all left cash as a tip. When I returned to our hotel, I checked my balance on my credit card and there was a charge for dining on it for $12-$14. I called to see why there was a charge and I was told that LTT reported we had skipped out on the tip. Which we had not. Disney credited my card back, but it was still stressful.

Fast forward to this September, my brother and I will be going to WDW on the dining plan and we are responsible for tips as I understand. If we pay with cash, how do we ensure that this "mistake" does not happen again? We always tip and everyone in our party tipped on that day.
The tip is part of your bill with a party of 9. You are fine tipping cash, but should put the cash with the meal payment. So if your bill for food is $100, tip is $18 (as part of the bill. You are welcome to tip more if you would like) You can pay $100 with a credit card/gift card/magic band, etc. Put the cash tip amount in the folio, tell the server the meal is from X and the tip is cash. You can also note Cash on the tip line.

Last edited by Tricia1972; 08-02-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Clarity
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #778
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixeldust Fairy View Post

you didn't mention how much the bill was and how much you tipped in cash. even if you are paying separately and have separate checks you are still are party of 6 or more.
did you all just throw the cash in the middle of the table somewhere? even cash tips should be IN the billfold.I'm suspecting someone in your party of 9 (I'm not saying you) didn't leave 18% .
since you paid with a credit card, that was the only waythey had of making up the difference. as a PP stated, if your bill was $100, your tip had to be $18. let's say your party of 9 had 3 sep. checks, 3 persons each. and each bill was $100. so the table's total bill would be $300, and no matter how you all paid and how many sep checks you had, the total tip from the table should have been $54. if the cash left was short, they did the only thing they could and charged it to whoever paid by credit/room charge.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #779
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

We haven't done a trip yet with the magic bands, so I was wondering what most people do as far as tips. Is it easier to use your band or just leave cash with the bill? Is it just personal preference? Will the server know how much the gratuity is before you leave if you use the band? I only ask this last part because I have had some poor service before and tipped accordingly (not at WDW)

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #780
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtabh View Post
We will be party of four when we go in April (one newborn). If I am reading correctly when we use the DDP no tip will be added at table service restaurants, but a suggested tip amount will be on the receipt and we will write in what we prefer to tip and sign the receipt. That's the process when you settle your bill? Sounds simple enough. Is it customary to tip the same at a buffet or AYCTE as you tip at a sit down full service meal?

What are tip expectations at BBB? You generally tip a stylists or barber, so curious how BBB works.
I usually tip the same at Disney buffets and AYCTE as I do at their table service restaurants. The wait staff does a lot of running back and forth, refilling drinks and cleaning off plates. So while they are not bringing out food I think they do the same amount, if not more work.

As far as BBB goes if I remember right they are not allowed to take tips.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: