Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #751
MsMamaBear
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Are you on the dining plan? If so, I would suggest charging the tip back to the room and then going down and paying it off with your gift cards.

The one time I tried paying for tips with gift cards while on the dining plan, it seemed to confuse some of the wait staff. One even charged my meal to my gift cards, even though I had told him I was on the dining plan and the gift card was for the tip only. They can't reverse that charge right away, so I ended up dealing with it and scheduiling another ADR to use the extra credit.
Ok, thanks! I don't want to run into problems like that!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #752
MsMamaBear
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
either way is fine
Thanks!
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #753
Elizamarie763
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombee Lover View Post
Your Disney servers are people, just like everyone else. They strive to give exceptional service to each & every guest. Unfortunately, sometimes cast members call in sick, or new cast members are being trained that aren't yet as seasoned as some, or the kitchen is just completely crashing with tickets and maybe someone fell or got burned. Dish machines break down, gas burners quit working, ice machines fail to produce ice. These are all real scenarios that Disney guests are not aware of or ever see. Sometimes unfortunate things happen that compromises service and all that cast member can do is just keep going as fast as they can to provide the guest with the the best service they can. Some servers are not servers by trade and as unfortunate as it is, need to get out of the business. Aka, they suck. But for the Cast that is running their butts off, a kind word, a thank you or just a few minutes of patience can turn a meal that might be lacking around. Restaurant cast work hard because they love to make the guest happy. I've encountered many cast servers that have become my regular requested people to see, and have eventually become friends. I look forward to seeing them each trip as I do Mickey Mouse.
Thank you from servers everywhere!
Elizamarie763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #754
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

: Thank you from servers everywhere!

And I love they everyone really thinks it's 'free' dining lol
It's full pop on the room rate...that makes 'free' dining available.
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #755
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie56 View Post
: Thank you from servers everywhere!

And I love they everyone really thinks it's 'free' dining lol
It's full pop on the room rate...that makes 'free' dining available.
Obviously you have to compare numbers but I have gone many times where i paid rack rate on the room plus paid for the dining plan, so this is a deal.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #756
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

I've done it every which way ...end of the day for me, works out pretty much the same with dining ..without dining...I'm always so close!
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #757
RealBlast3
Mouseketeer

I'm thinking about purchasing a Tables in Wonderland card because I do alot of dining on my trips and my trips are so long, usually 10-15 days, and I eat 3 table service meals a day. I use the dining plan, but even then, because I eat at lots of places that charge 2 credits, I usually have to pay out of pocket for around 5 meals, so I figure the TIW card could be useful to me.

My question is how does tipping work with TIW and the Dining plan? Now, in my case, I almost always order 1 or 2 more appetizers than the Deluxe plan provides, along with several cocktails, sometimes a bottle of wine, and maybe a specialty coffee if I want. So, while I do understand that I can apply the TIW card to those extra purchases, I'm confused about the tipping policy.

Now I always tip 18-20% (sometimes more) with the dining plan anyway, no matter what. But I don't have to give a second tip on the OOP part of the bill I'm using the TIW discount on, do I? For it to count, I mean.

I'm probably overthinking this. It's just when you order OOP stuff on the dining plan (as I always do), they always present you with a separate check for it. I just leave the tip on the main check (which does include the OOP in the itemized section, as it applies to the total), but I don't tip a 2nd time, when I'm paying for the OOP stuff.

I'm worried with TIW card, I would have to leave a 2nd tip since it applies an 18% tip automatically, according to the website.

Thanks to anyone who can understand my question!
RealBlast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #758
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

your TIW purchases will have a separate bill with the automatic 18% gratuity

Your Dining Plan 'bill'/receipt will come in its own paper bill.

Two unique transactions from the point of view of Disney systems
Old 06-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #759
funkydelia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
1) it doesn't matter how you pay a tip, servers get it at the end of their shift. The only difference is the automatic grat, that goes on their paycheck 2) you may tip whatever you want. 18% and 20% are calculated for you on the check for convenience. You can go lower for mediocre service, higher for outstanding service 3) bartenders and servers are paid a very low hourly wage because it is assumed that tips will bring them up to at least minimum wage. Mousekeepers, buses, boats and monorails are already paid above minimum wage so it is not a tipped position. hope that helps
. This really helps explain things!! Thank you.
funkydelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #760
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

So is everything the same at WDW with automatic tipping? Just wondering since IRS changed tax laws on 'included/mandatory tips' in Jan. Thanks!
disneyfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #761
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan55 View Post
So is everything the same at WDW with automatic tipping? Just wondering since IRS changed tax laws on 'included/mandatory tips' in Jan. Thanks!
What changed?????
Old 06-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #762
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
What changed?????
IRS law as to how tips are taxed if automatic. They will have to go through the payroll system of the company differently. I had read that many companies, in order to avoid this were going to stop and just have all the suggested amount of tip at the bottom of the receipt. I read about this back in Nov or Dec 2013 and I don't recall exact wording. It is a big change evidently. Auto tips have to be treated as a 'service charge' to the company and has to go through payroll. Employees can't be cashed out the day of due to that. Supposedly a big impact and more paperwork. If auto added basically not considered a tip but a service charge for tax purposes. So I assume WDW still has them? (IRS ruling 2012-18). Who knows if it will be changed or amended since all I had read said it was a pain for all!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #763
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan55 View Post
IRS law as to how tips are taxed if automatic. They will have to go through the payroll system of the company differently. I had read that many companies, in order to avoid this were going to stop and just have all the suggested amount of tip at the bottom of the receipt. I read about this back in Nov or Dec 2013 and I don't recall exact wording. It is a big change evidently. Auto tips have to be treated as a 'service charge' to the company and has to go through payroll. Employees can't be cashed out the day of due to that. Supposedly a big impact and more paperwork. If auto added basically not considered a tip but a service charge for tax purposes. So I assume WDW still has them? (IRS ruling 2012-18). Who knows if it will be changed or amended since all I had read said it was a pain for all!
I guess I don't see how that would change anything for those of us giving tips. WDW always has the suggested amount at the bottom anyways.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #764
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I guess I don't see how that would change anything for those of us giving tips. WDW always has the suggested amount at the bottom anyways.
It doesn't if WDW didn't change anything. It would if they stopped doing the auto tip. That was the orig. questions point. I was asking if anything changed with them. Suggested has nothing to do with the new law.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #765
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

nothing has changed at WDW. Auto grat goes directly onto the paycheck as it has for years

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: