Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 10:18 AM   #736
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdad View Post
What is the suggested approach for tipping at Be Our Guest for Lunch. It is a counter service meal, but it is delivered to you on china. I am inclined to tip but should it be the full ~18-20% or something else? Also, would you leave it on the table or hand it directly to the server that brings your meal?

Anyone that has been at BOG lunch....insight appreciated.
no tip. QSR CM's make a regular wage so no tipping. They can't accept it either.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #737
SilentK
Mouseketeer

Sorry if this has come up before...

I noticed on allears it says that Liberty Tree Tavern is price fix, tip included. I haven't heard this before. Is this the case?
SilentK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #738
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

No it is not. Liberty Tree dinner (lunch is not a fixed price) does not include the tip.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #739
SilentK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
No it is not. Liberty Tree dinner (lunch is not a fixed price) does not include the tip.
Thank you

I thought I'd have read it somewhere before but wanted to check when DH pointed it out on allears
SilentK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #740
Zombee Lover
Earning My Ears

Your Disney servers are people, just like everyone else. They strive to give exceptional service to each & every guest. Unfortunately, sometimes cast members call in sick, or new cast members are being trained that aren't yet as seasoned as some, or the kitchen is just completely crashing with tickets and maybe someone fell or got burned. Dish machines break down, gas burners quit working, ice machines fail to produce ice. These are all real scenarios that Disney guests are not aware of or ever see. Sometimes unfortunate things happen that compromises service and all that cast member can do is just keep going as fast as they can to provide the guest with the the best service they can. Some servers are not servers by trade and as unfortunate as it is, need to get out of the business. Aka, they suck. But for the Cast that is running their butts off, a kind word, a thank you or just a few minutes of patience can turn a meal that might be lacking around. Restaurant cast work hard because they love to make the guest happy. I've encountered many cast servers that have become my regular requested people to see, and have eventually become friends. I look forward to seeing them each trip as I do Mickey Mouse.
Zombee Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #741
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombee Lover View Post
Your Disney servers are people, just like everyone else. They strive to give exceptional service to each & every guest. Unfortunately, sometimes cast members call in sick, or new cast members are being trained that aren't yet as seasoned as some, or the kitchen is just completely crashing with tickets and maybe someone fell or got burned. Dish machines break down, gas burners quit working, ice machines fail to produce ice. These are all real scenarios that Disney guests are not aware of or ever see. Sometimes unfortunate things happen that compromises service and all that cast member can do is just keep going as fast as they can to provide the guest with the the best service they can. Some servers are not servers by trade and as unfortunate as it is, need to get out of the business. Aka, they suck. But for the Cast that is running their butts off, a kind word, a thank you or just a few minutes of patience can turn a meal that might be lacking around. Restaurant cast work hard because they love to make the guest happy. I've encountered many cast servers that have become my regular requested people to see, and have eventually become friends. I look forward to seeing them each trip as I do Mickey Mouse.
may I speak for servers everywhere when I say
smidgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #742
MinnieMallons
Earning My Ears

My wife and I are visiting WDW in 9 days.

Here in the UK we would usually leave a tip in cash when paying on card so that the waiter who served us gets this directly. As it can often be the case that there is no facility to tip when paying on card and that if you do it goes into a general pot which may or may not hen be divided evenly among staff.

We are staying on site, have dining plan and will be charging back to the room for extras where possible rather than carrying lots of cash.

My questions are:

1) Is there any difference for the servers at WDW if I pay gratuity in cash or charge it to my room?

2) There seems negligible difference between an 18% and a 20% tip, even on large bill it would only be a couple of dollars. Are you not considered to be suggesting the service was not good enough if you select the 18% tip option when presented with both in print on your bill?
Maybe I'm being a bit British about it, but I could not for sake of embarrassment pay less than the 20% suggestion if presented with it.

3) It is suggested that you tip anyone who moves your luggage, mousekeepers, taxi drivers, bar tenders and waiters. Would you tip the Magical Express, buses, boats and monorails? If not, why not? They seems to be the only ones not getting a tip.

Last edited by MinnieMallons; 04-22-2014 at 07:35 AM.
MinnieMallons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #743
mom2of2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMallons View Post
My wife and I are visiting WDW in 9 days.

Here in the UK we would usually leave a tip in cash when paying on card so that the waiter who served us gets this directly. As it can often be the case that there is no facility to tip when paying on card and that if you do it goes into a general pot which may or may not hen be divided evenly among staff.

We are staying on site, have dining plan and will be charging back to the room for extras where possible rather than carrying lots of cash.

My questions are:

1) Is there any difference for the servers at WDW if I pay gratuity in cash or charge it to my room?

2) There seems negligible difference between an 18% and a 20% tip, even on large bill it would only be a couple of dollars. Are you not considered to be suggesting the service was not good enough if you select the 18% tip option when presented with both in print on your bill?
Maybe I'm being a bit British about it, but I could not for sake of embarrassment pay less than the 20% suggestion if presented with it.

3) It is suggested that you tip anyone who moves your luggage, mousekeepers, taxi drivers, bar tenders and waiters. Would you tip the Magical Express, buses, boats and monorails? If not, why not? They seems to be the only ones not getting a tip.
1) it doesn't matter how you pay a tip, servers get it at the end of their shift. The only difference is the automatic grat, that goes on their paycheck

2) you may tip whatever you want. 18% and 20% are calculated for you on the check for convenience. You can go lower for mediocre service, higher for outstanding service

3) bartenders and servers are paid a very low hourly wage because it is assumed that tips will bring them up to at least minimum wage. Mousekeepers, buses, boats and monorails are already paid above minimum wage so it is not a tipped position.

hope that helps
Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #744
rewilliams
Mouseketeer

We are using the dining plan so I am not sure how much a meal actually costs, I have been setting aside money for tips but not sure how much for each sit down dinner. There will be 3 of us 2 adults and 1 child, can someone give me an idea of how much I will need for a typical sit down meal? Thanks
rewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #745
KaLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewilliams View Post
We are using the dining plan so I am not sure how much a meal actually costs, I have been setting aside money for tips but not sure how much for each sit down dinner. There will be 3 of us 2 adults and 1 child, can someone give me an idea of how much I will need for a typical sit down meal? Thanks
Our TS meal tips (mostly character and family styled) should range between $15-$25 each. But we have 2 adults and 2 kids. Pricing can be found online so you can better estimate.

Me28 DH30 DD6.5 DD3.5
Past Trips:
April 27-28, 2009: All Star Music Resort - Country Western Area
This was our quick-take-a-Disney-vacation-to-get-a-feel-of-what-it's-like-before-we-have-kids-to-drag-along trip.
Planning in Progress:
May 4-10, 2014: Coronado Springs Resort
This is our the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-so-lets-make-this-as-magical-and-as-awesome-as-possible trip.
KaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #746
MsMamaBear
Earning My Ears

Ok, I'm new and scanned this thread, not read each page for page, so forgive me if It was already asked.

Can we charge our tips to our room and then pay those with Disney gift cards? Or can we pay the tip at the restaurant with a Disney gift card?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #747
mom2of2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMamaBear View Post
Ok, I'm new and scanned this thread, not read each page for page, so forgive me if It was already asked.

Can we charge our tips to our room and then pay those with Disney gift cards? Or can we pay the tip at the restaurant with a Disney gift card?
either way is fine
Old 05-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #748
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMamaBear View Post

Are you on the dining plan? If so, I would suggest charging the tip back to the room and then going down and paying it off with your gift cards.

The one time I tried paying for tips with gift cards while on the dining plan, it seemed to confuse some of the wait staff. One even charged my meal to my gift cards, even though I had told him I was on the dining plan and the gift card was for the tip only. They can't reverse that charge right away, so I ended up dealing with it and scheduiling another ADR to use the extra credit.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #749
lwyrwood
Earning My Ears

Just got FD for my 2nd trip to WDW. I have never had a dining plan before so I am very excited. Do you generally tip on what the cost would have been or more since it was free?
lwyrwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #750
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwyrwood View Post
Just got FD for my 2nd trip to WDW. I have never had a dining plan before so I am very excited. Do you generally tip on what the cost would have been or more since it was free?
You tip on the amount pre tax before any discounts or "free". the total wil lbe on the bill with suggested tip amounts
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: