Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #706
3PrincessesAndaFrog
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
It happens. Did you let your server know that you were using your DP prior to him giving you your bill?
Here's why I ask: when a server prints a check, 2 copies of the check are printed. One copy is for a guest using a DP, there is a place to write in a tip. Typically a guest will write in a $ amount or write CASH. The server then runs your DP, charges the tip however you wanted to and returns with another copy for you to sign. Transaction complete.
If a guest isn't using a DP or doesn't let the server know they are using a DP, the guest is given a different type of bill. This one has no tip line, looks like a normal bill in a non-WDW restaurant. If you have only ordered what if included on your DP, once the server runs your DP, the check closes. The receipt that prints out does not have a tip line, displays how many credits you have left and room for a signature.
One of 3 things can happen:
1) server doesn't know guest is using DP, guest sticks to plan and wrong copy is given = no tip line
2) Correct bill is given but guest doesn't fill in tip amount. Some guests don't feel the need to even look when the bill is dropped because they figure the food is covered and they can fill in a tip later. They can't because the next bill doesn't have a tip line. The server has to make a choice, either hope the guest is leaving a cash tip, or bring the empty tip line to the guests attention.
3) a manager can override a closed check and charge a tip to your room, this is at the managers discretion and isn't a given.

So! Now that I've confused you lol, I can say either you were given the wrong copy or didn't fill in the tip on the first check and the server couldn't ask for you to tip him.

I'm sorry you didn't have stellar service at your meal, unfortunately this does happen occasionally. Don't feel bad, you tried to remedy the tip issue.
Thanks! Your explanation makes sense.

The server knew we were using Dining Plan. Our reservation was made with the dining plan, and he scanned our magic bands when we sat. The plan also came with the photo.

It was the first time, we had received a bill without the option of leaving a tip. We have used the DD plan many times.

It was the only copy we were given.
3PrincessesAndaFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #707
chinarider
DIS Veteran

just to be clear, the 18% is automatically added if you have a party over 6?
TIA
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #708
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinarider View Post
just to be clear, the 18% is automatically added if you have a party over 6?
TIA
Yes. Even if some of those 6 are babies, or not eating.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #709
GovieMom
DIS Veteran

We'll be using dining plan credits to pay for our meals, but leaving cash for the tips. When the server brings our check, should I give him the tip then? Since I won't be writing in a tip amount on the check, I don't want him to think we're stiffing him on the tip. Also, now that we'll have magic bands instead of cards, how will that work?
GovieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #710
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovieMom View Post
We'll be using dining plan credits to pay for our meals, but leaving cash for the tips. When the server brings our check, should I give him the tip then? Since I won't be writing in a tip amount on the check, I don't want him to think we're stiffing him on the tip. Also, now that we'll have magic bands instead of cards, how will that work?
The server will scan your band and then present you with a check. Write CASH in the tip line, the server will run your credits and present you with the copy to sign, simply sign it and put the cash in the book. Nothing has really changed except that you no longer give them a KTTW card.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #711
GovieMom
DIS Veteran

Thanks, Mom2of2; that makes sense.
GovieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:29 AM   #712
Kaewin
GameMaster

Do they still do the 18% with the new tip laws? I am just curious if it will still be applied as it is now no longer considered a tip but part of the wage.

72, 79, 83, 85, 87 off site, 93 Dixie Landings (honey moon), 2001, 2004, 2006 off site, 2008 Coronado Springs, 2010 Riverside, 2011 Riverside, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Not going 2014 Cabins Did Riverside Instead!!!!!!
Kaewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #713
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaewin View Post
Do they still do the 18% with the new tip laws? I am just curious if it will still be applied as it is now no longer considered a tip but part of the wage.
What are the new laws?
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #714
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

yes, 18% remains for parties of 6 or more. WDW already counted grat as income and it goes directly on the CM paycheck. The new law didn't matter since WDW already did it
Old 02-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #715
Kaewin
GameMaster

AH thank you I wasn't sure if they were or were not doing it. I know there are some places they are resistant to it.

72, 79, 83, 85, 87 off site, 93 Dixie Landings (honey moon), 2001, 2004, 2006 off site, 2008 Coronado Springs, 2010 Riverside, 2011 Riverside, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Not going 2014 Cabins Did Riverside Instead!!!!!!
Kaewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #716
debbiechels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Yes. Even if some of those 6 are babies, or not eating.
On parties under 6 people is the gratuity automatically added?
debbiechels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #717
jgplimdesign
Under the spell of a very famous mouse. . .

Here's a question I've always wanted to ask. . .

When we visit La Cava and Rose & Crown at EPCOT, we gladly tip our servers or the bartender for our drinks.

Are the beer/alcohol serving kiosks that are outside also considered 'tipping' locations? (France, Germany, UK, etc) I try to watch sometimes to see what people do. We've not for these areas. . . but I would like to know what people have to say 'bout it. . .please advise!

Thanks!
WDW visits: 1974 (age 4), 1976, 1980, 1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, October 2004, October 2005, October 2006, October 2007, March 2009, February/March 2010, October/November 2010, October/November 2011, October/November 2012, May 2013. December 2013
jgplimdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #718
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiechels View Post
On parties under 6 people is the gratuity automatically added?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgplimdesign View Post

When we visit La Cava and Rose & Crown at EPCOT, we gladly tip our servers or the bartender for our drinks.

Are the beer/alcohol serving kiosks that are outside also considered 'tipping' locations? (France, Germany, UK, etc) I try to watch sometimes to see what people do. We've not for these areas. . . but I would like to know what people have to say 'bout it. . .please advise!

Thanks!
Yes. If I remember correctly, there are tip jars.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:01 AM   #719
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgplimdesign View Post

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
No.

Yes. If I remember correctly, there are tip jars.
Gee, I remember trying REALLY hard to tip these guys, for beer at the norway booth, and at the booth in Morrocco.. they stressed that they weren't allowed to accept tips.

(and, believe me, as a bartender, I ALWAYS tip) I'll have to check again.. after all these trips... I guess you can always try. if there is a tip jar, then, of course tip. if not you can try to give them more. if they turn it down don't push.(like I used to) it could be their job.

ya know a month ago a guy at AUTO Zone by us put the wipers on my windows for me. I tried to give him 5 bucks. repeatedly. he insisted he would get in big trouble if he accepted it.. I tired to say "no really, from me, I am SO appreciative of your help, no one will know, etc."

he finally seemed exasperated with me and said "if you want to help me go online and take the survey and say what a good job I did."
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #720
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
Gee, I remember trying REALLY hard to tip these guys, for beer at the norway booth, and at the booth in Morrocco.. they stressed that they weren't allowed to accept tips.

(and, believe me, as a bartender, I ALWAYS tip) I'll have to check again.. after all these trips... I guess you can always try. if there is a tip jar, then, of course tip. if not you can try to give them more. if they turn it down don't push.(like I used to) it could be their job.

ya know a month ago a guy at AUTO Zone by us put the wipers on my windows for me. I tried to give him 5 bucks. repeatedly. he insisted he would get in big trouble if he accepted it.. I tired to say "no really, from me, I am SO appreciative of your help, no one will know, etc."

he finally seemed exasperated with me and said "if you want to help me go online and take the survey and say what a good job I did."
I could be remembering wrong - it's been a little while. I would still offer, but if they can't accept them, then they can't accept them.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: