Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #556
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright

If we are all at the table on the DxDP do we need to tell the up front even if it takes a bit longer to close out at the end of the meal? Judging by what I've read on here I would rather take a few extra minutes at the end of the meal to avoid bad service.

It becomes a cycle. If you are on the dining plan and get bad service and tip accordingly there is the distinct possibility that the server will attribute it to you having been on the dining plan and not because they gave bad service

Stacy
You should let the server know you are on a DP so they can explain what is included and what isnt. Even though you may be well versed in what is included, some restaurants have prix fixed items or apps for 2 etc.
It would take a while at the end of your meal to have it all voided and re rung. This involves a manager and sometimes they arent readily available.

If you have bad service, alert the manager. A server knows when they give bad service
Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #557
jhorn3737
Earning My Ears

Greta tips

These are fantastic tips.
Well done indeed.
jhorn3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #558
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Tell the server when you order if you are on DDP or not. DDP orders are rung up differently from non-DDP orders. If you wait until after the meal to tell them you are on DDP, they will have to get the entire order rung up again (which likely means you will be waiting). Besides that, they are supposed to give you an explanation about what is covered and what isn't. If you order something that isn't covered, you don't want to find that out at the end of the meal when you suddenly switch all your orders to DDP.

Besides, most of the time you are asked before you order if you are on DDP. I've seen some posters so worried about bad service that they say they will respond "no" when they are asked and then switch everything to the dining plan at the end of the meal. That isn't going to endear you to your server.

I don't know where this "people on the dining plan get bad service" comes from, really. Dining plan doesn't equal bad service.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #559
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

A reminder to please read the first post before posting. Questions about how much to tip are all addressed in that post.

Thanks!
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #560
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post

I don't know where this "people on the dining plan get bad service" comes from, really. Dining plan doesn't equal bad service.
We have never not been on the dining plan, and we have never had bad service.
disneyfantotheend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #561
laf
Earning My Ears

Please make sure you have REALLY received truly bad service before complaining to management to have automatic gratuities removed or adjusted. Your server will not only lose their gratuity, but will have disciplinary action, including record card reprimands which can lead to termination.

And again, I agree the time to complain to management is not when the bill is presented, or later. It is, as the above poster suggested, right when you are displeased with your service--it should then improve, and your dining experience will be so much better. And isn't that the point?
laf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #562
livinlife25
DIS Veteran

We have 4 adults in the same room, on the dining plan. Can we do separate bills for the 2 different parties?

April 2014- Pop Century
Jan 2013- POR
Sep 2009- AKL
2 visits in 1990's- OKW
livinlife25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #563
mom2of2

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlife25
We have 4 adults in the same room, on the dining plan. Can we do separate bills for the 2 different parties?
Im assuming you want to do this for tipping purposes. If so just give the server both credit cards and let them know how much to put on each. No need for seperate checks
Old 10-11-2012, 02:44 AM   #564
Ruban
Earning My Ears

Buffet tipping?

Hi, we are from the UK and are struggling with this:

"Please note – Disney does not differentiate between types of Table Service – buffets, all you care to eat and menu ordering locations are all treated equal and subject to the same guidelines by Disney"

Do servers at the buffet restaurants expect 18% for sitting you at a table and pointing you to the buffet table? Is it normal practice to differentiate between service and buffet in the US?

Thanks
Ruban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #565
mom2of2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruban
Hi, we are from the UK and are struggling with this:

"Please note – Disney does not differentiate between types of Table Service – buffets, all you care to eat and menu ordering locations are all treated equal and subject to the same guidelines by Disney"

Do servers at the buffet restaurants expect 18% for sitting you at a table and pointing you to the buffet table? Is it normal practice to differentiate between service and buffet in the US?

Thanks
If all a WDW server did was point to the buffet table they wouldnt have a job for long.

Buffett servers are responsible for constantly clearing plates and refilling drinks, answering any questions you may have, directing characters to your table and a multitude of other duties behind the scenes that you wont see. All to make your meal the most enjoyable that it can be.

If you are a party of 6 or more the gratuity is automatic but if not you are free to leave whatever amount you wish.

At WDW 18% is the norm and servers work very hard to earn it.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 AM   #566
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Hello. We are also from the UK. I have a question about tips and when very helpful CM in bell hop carry your bags back to the room. I want to tip the correct amount per bag. Which thread shall I ask in if I want the going rate?
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #567
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Hello. We are also from the UK. I have a question about tips and when very helpful CM in bell hop carry your bags back to the room. I want to tip the correct amount per bag. Which thread shall I ask in if I want the going rate?
$1 to $2 per bag.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #568
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
$1 to $2 per bag.
Thank you!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #569
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

I have not been all the way through this thread so if this has already been mentioned feel free to delete.

I just wanted to suggest that if you receive excellent service at a location where tipping is not allowed/accepted, make a note of the CM's name and stop by Guest Relations before you leave the park or resort. You can leave a note of gratitude there, and CMs do get recognition for this. This goes for all CMs, not just dining, but I wanted to make special note of it for those who work in foodservice and cannot receive tips

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #570
gwmort
DIS Veteran

We are three families traveling as a group of 12 staying in one Grand Villa using the DDP. We are all the same party and all on the DDP, but will want to divide costs for alcohol, appetizers, and tips. Do we just ask when seated for three separate checks in this instance (we know we'll be charged the auto 18%)?
gwmort is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: