Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #436
Graciesmom77
DIS Veteran
 
Graciesmom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 619

This is probably a silly question, but we are a party of 6, me, dh, dd10, dd10, dd2 and dd 8 months. Since my 8 month old will not be eating at the restaurants and my 2 year old will sometimes eat off our plates and sometimes her own meal, is the 18% tip still added? I wasn't sure if it was by chairs filled, or meals purchased. Thanks
__________________
Graciesmom77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #437
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony
 
Tricia1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 9,693
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciesmom77 View Post
This is probably a silly question, but we are a party of 6, me, dh, dd10, dd10, dd2 and dd 8 months. Since my 8 month old will not be eating at the restaurants and my 2 year old will sometimes eat off our plates and sometimes her own meal, is the 18% tip still added? I wasn't sure if it was by chairs filled, or meals purchased. Thanks
It's not even by chairs filled, it's more based on warm bodies at the table. (It's that even if it's a baby on your lap.)
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #438
Dancind
Tinkerbell's Mom
just full of pass questions
Onward and Downward!
 
Dancind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Southwest
Posts: 6,835

Flying Fish Chefs Table - Tip?

Booked this for our upcoming Oct/Nov trip, since we didn't get into the Signature dinners we hoped for.

It's a pre-pay deal, they already charged my credit card. I just don't know if it is gratuity included, like some of the other prepaid events.

I certainly do not mind tipping for the service, but don't want to tip twice!

Did a search and can't find the answer. Thanks for the help!
__________________
Diana
Dancind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #439
marshwiggle
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancind View Post
Booked this for our upcoming Oct/Nov trip, since we didn't get into the Signature dinners we hoped for.

It's a pre-pay deal, they already charged my credit card. I just don't know if it is gratuity included, like some of the other prepaid events.

I certainly do not mind tipping for the service, but don't want to tip twice!

Did a search and can't find the answer. Thanks for the help!

It's included. After your meal, you can just pick up and leave - you won't see a bill unless you've ordered pre- or post-meal drinks (they usually offer complimentary coffee/tea afterwards too).
marshwiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #440
mom2brooke76
Proud Redhead who doesn't think that Universal is the most wonderful place on earth!
 
mom2brooke76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Finally in Orlando!!
Posts: 967

I'm sure the answer to my question is somewhere in this thread, but I looked back through a few of the more recent pages and didn't see it.

How much do people generally tip at the buffets? At a regular full service restaurant I generally tip anywhere between 15 and 20 percent, depending on the service. In the past I've always tipped 15% at buffets. Is this too much? I'm asking because we're going on our annual WDW trip in November. There will be 4 of us dining at 1900 Park Fare and the tip is almost $23. That seems like an awful lot for a buffet. So, what is the typical amount?
__________________
Me- 40 Emily- 9


The internet: A system of computers linked together to send garbage back and forth and spread rumors.
mom2brooke76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #441
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony
 
Tricia1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 9,693
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2brooke76 View Post
I'm sure the answer to my question is somewhere in this thread, but I looked back through a few of the more recent pages and didn't see it.

How much do people generally tip at the buffets? At a regular full service restaurant I generally tip anywhere between 15 and 20 percent, depending on the service. In the past I've always tipped 15% at buffets. Is this too much? I'm asking because we're going on our annual WDW trip in November. There will be 4 of us dining at 1900 Park Fare and the tip is almost $23. That seems like an awful lot for a buffet. So, what is the typical amount?
Disney says that if you are a party of 6 or more, or if you have the Tables in Wonderland Discount Card, the tipping amount is no different between Regular TS or Buffets.

However, if you are just a party of 4 and are not using the TiW card, you may tip whatever you choose.

Beyond that, personal tipping habits are not up for discussion or debate on the board. (The first post explains more about the guidelines of the thread)

Hope that this helps.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #442
Marcilla
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5

Group of 17 @ Chef Mickeys

We will be asking for 4 checks at the end of the meal. Will that be a problem?
Marcilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #443
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony
 
Tricia1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 9,693
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcilla View Post
We will be asking for 4 checks at the end of the meal. Will that be a problem?
Separate checks won't be a problem. However, it will be easier for the servers if you tell them when you order your drinks who is on which check.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #444
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,773

YES, it will be a problem!! Please ask for your separate checks before you order anything!!!!
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #445
charmed1212
Mouseketeer
 
charmed1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 125

Not sure if this is this right place to ask this.

I know many asked that you can look at the menus to use the pricing to determine whatever tip you would choose to leave before you eat there. Budgeting before if you will. My question is, anyone have an accurate website to find the prices for meals to determine what my x% tip will be? I have found conflicting prices on disboards and other sites. (Don't know if I can mention those sites)

Thanks if you can help or steer me in the right direction.
__________________
charmed1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #446
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony
 
Tricia1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 9,693
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed1212 View Post
Not sure if this is this right place to ask this.

I know many asked that you can look at the menus to use the pricing to determine whatever tip you would choose to leave before you eat there. Budgeting before if you will. My question is, anyone have an accurate website to find the prices for meals to determine what my x% tip will be? I have found conflicting prices on disboards and other sites. (Don't know if I can mention those sites)

Thanks if you can help or steer me in the right direction.
The only absolute accurate way is to call the restaurant directly right before you leave and *hope* that Disney doesn't change pricing while you are there. Restaurant prices can change (menu items often change too) without any notice.

Sites like DISboards and allears (even Disney's site itself) are updated frequently but are not meant to be absolutely correct. In the case of the DIS and allears, it's run by volunteers and even Disney themselves can have lag time between changing a menu and having their web people input that information onto their site.

You'll get close with calling Disney or any of the websites, so you'll definitely be in the ballpark. Exact tip, may not be able to be determined until you get there though.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #447
charmed1212
Mouseketeer
 
charmed1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia1972 View Post
The only absolute accurate way is to call the restaurant directly right before you leave and *hope* that Disney doesn't change pricing while you are there. Restaurant prices can change (menu items often change too) without any notice.

Sites like DISboards and allears (even Disney's site itself) are updated frequently but are not meant to be absolutely correct. In the case of the DIS and allears, it's run by volunteers and even Disney themselves can have lag time between changing a menu and having their web people input that information onto their site.

You'll get close with calling Disney or any of the websites, so you'll definitely be in the ballpark. Exact tip, may not be able to be determined until you get there though.
Thank you!
__________________
charmed1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #448
siczlo
Mouseketeer
 
siczlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 162

Question?

Are you supposed to tip for other things like pairsailing, bass fishing excursion, waterboarding?

We are doing the premium for one night and I was wondering if I'm supposed to tip for these recreational activites.
siczlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #449
DaisyTinker
Earning My Ears
 
DaisyTinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6

Kttw??

I am trying to decide if I should have a gift card to tip with or charge it tips back to the room. We will have the DxDP so I don't anticipate us having to buy food as I have heard there is plenty of food.

I guess what would help me make my decision is if you use the KTTW to charge tips with a party less than 6 will they automatically still charge the 18%? I had heard this somewhere
__________________
DaisyTinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #450
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,773

When your party consists of fewer than six, you determine the tip; there's no automatic gratuity. Your tipping method won't (or shouldn't) be charged any different amount than you indicate.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here's what a little PIXIE DUST can do ....... a dining review+pics COMPLETED!!!!! dizneeat Disney Dining Reviews 666 01-10-2012 12:46 AM
The Random Thread: Inspired by the last Random Thread marypops! Teen Disney 3760 11-01-2009 02:58 PM
Disboutiquers Part 17 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-) teresajoy Disney for Families 3742 10-23-2009 10:38 AM
Jon and Kate Plus 8 Official Thread - Part 6 newtodis Community Board 3748 10-08-2009 07:09 AM
Just back from Free Dining and MNSSHP...the good, the bad and the Raisins??? wendy1974 Completed Trip Reports 4 10-04-2009 08:18 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: