Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #331
jjsdad
DIS Veteran

Are restaurant hosts allowed to accept tips and is it appropriate to tip them if they help you with a special request? In the past we have asked during check in to sit close to the tank at the coral reef and both times they have honored our request. Is it ok to offer a tip to that person for helping me or are they not allowed to accept tips? I'd hate to setup an awkward situation if they aren't, but I certainly don't want to not tip them if I am able to.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #332
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Since hosting isn't considered a tipped position, I doubt that they would be able to accept your tip. Disney has a rule for their employees that if you aren't working in a tipped position, you are not allowed to accept tips.

How it works is if you offer a CM (who is not working in a tipped position) something of value three times they NEED to accept whatever the third time that you offer it.

They then must report that gift to their Manager (no matter how small). Failure to report this gift to their manager can result in disciplinary action or even termination of employment.

This rule has been confirmed by several CMs who are members of this board.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #333
Sandi12404
Mouseketeer

We're not leaving for 157 days (not that I'm counting) and we have made all our dining reservations and I'm feeling a little antsy because it's too early do some things and I want to do something. So I went to the menu's and tallied up what out apx. bill would be at each table service. I figured I could take the tip with me and it would be ready to go (we have free dining). Our goup is a party of 12 so I assume that the gratuity will almost always be automatically added but will they break it up per family, or since we aren't paying for our meals will they just hand us one large check? I want to make sure the servers get a good tip and I would love to have this ironed about among all 12 of us before we get there.

me hubby dd15 dd9 ds 1
Sandi12404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #334
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

You tell your server how you want the billing split - "these three people on this card, those five people on that card, him on his own card..." and each party's automatic service charge (and only that party's) will appear on the respective checks.

It might be explained more clearly in Post 1.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #335
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

You still will have a check. The credits are going to be on your KTTW card, so you still will be paying with the card. You just didn't have to pay to get those credits. And yes they will divide it up for you.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #336
photographymom517
DIS Veteran

I haven't read all of this thread (only read the last few pages), but just wanted to give everyone who is on a budget a suggestion!

I use the restaurant menus as a guide & try to estimate what we will all order (we use the regular dining plan so I figure in the cost of entrees, drinks, and desserts). Then I figure out the percentage that we tip & put that into an envelope. (I also carry some $1's and $5's in case we want to leave more than what I have in the envelope already or if we order something more expensive).

You can find alot of great DISigns here on the boards for tip envelopes!!! I make one for each table service restaurant, mousekeeping, bell services, Magical Express drivers, etc.

I know alot of people here on the boards do that when paying tips with cash. Just thought that I would share the idea again, even though I'm sure its mentioned here on the thread!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #337
twinsplusonemore
Earning My Ears

I'm trying to total up the amount we are going to need for tips. We are on the dining plan and are going to be eating at HDDR and CRT. Can someone clarify for me....the tip is included already so we don't need to tip for that one?? If I'm confused, can you please explain?
twinsplusonemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #338
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographymom517 View Post
You can find alot of great DISigns here on the boards for tip envelopes!!! I make one for each table service restaurant, mousekeeping, bell services, Magical Express drivers, etc.
As a server I highly recommend not putting your tip in an envelope. It's a nice thought, but there is an excellent chance that it will accidentally be thrown away.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #339
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsplusonemore View Post
I'm trying to total up the amount we are going to need for tips. We are on the dining plan and are going to be eating at HDDR and CRT. Can someone clarify for me....the tip is included already so we don't need to tip for that one?? If I'm confused, can you please explain?
Yes, the tip is included for both of those.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #340
photographymom517
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
As a server I highly recommend not putting your tip in an envelope. It's a nice thought, but there is an excellent chance that it will accidentally be thrown away.
I don't use regular envelopes -- its basically a 3"x7" piece of paper folded in half (looks like a little tent sitting on the table). The restaurant logo or Disney picture is on the front & you are usually able to see the money when its sitting on the table. Most of the DISigns I use say something like "Thanks for the great service" or "Tips for Mousekeeping" things like that.

Should I not bother with these? Do you think they just get thrown away even if the server can see the money sticking out the side?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #341
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't use regular envelopes -- its basically a 3"x7" piece of paper folded in half (looks like a little tent sitting on the table). The restaurant logo or Disney picture is on the front & you are usually able to see the money when its sitting on the table. Most of the DISigns I use say something like "Thanks for the great service" or "Tips for Mousekeeping" things like that.

Should I not bother with these? Do you think they just get thrown away even if the server can see the money sticking out the side?
Honestly, I wouldn't. People leave a lot of scrap paper on tables. Sometimes we are in a hurry and just grab things without looking closely. I don't work in WDW, so I can't say specifically how things work there, but I would imagine that it's similar.

I have had people leave me handwritten notes with the tip before. They've always been under the money, though.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #342
smidgy
dimples

Quote:

I wouldn't bother with these. if the server can see the money sticking out, so can the 13 year old, or 19 year old, at the next table. or, for that matter anyone walking by.

while leaving a tip on the table may be protocal at a breakfast place (such as Denny's).. there is a reason for the booklet we hand you at finer restaurants. everything stays in there. the entire transaction, from start to finish.

now if you want to put the tip in an envelope in the booklet, that would be fine. (just make sure it isn't sticking out so it isn't easy to grab.)

you don't think people steal tips? believe me, they do. Iv'e even had wives take part of the tip a husband leaves.

it's best to do the classy thing, and just leave everything in the book. then it is obvious to everyone around if someone is opening the book.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #343
Sandi12404
Mouseketeer

It wasn'y my intention to leave the tip in the envelope, just to keep it organized until I got there.

me hubby dd15 dd9 ds 1
Sandi12404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #344
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:

I wouldn't either unless you plan to directly hand the tip to the server.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #345
chellt
Mouseketeer

Wishes Dessert Party

Does any one know if tip is included in the WISHES dessert party price?

Me (35) DN (8) DN (5)

This thing that we do, then, is not only an act of law for equality in education, but an act of LOVE for those extraordinary children wishing only to live ordinary lives.
chellt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: