Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #256
simpsonps121
Mouseketeer

Question - We will have a group of 8, 3 checks, part of the DDP. We want 2 checks with zero tip, but the last check to cover the entire tip. I assume I just tell the server that and they will allow it??

Interesting, we went in Dec. last year with 8, and they gave us seperate bills every time, never once including the 18% gratuity. We tipped over the 18% anyway, so it was not a problem. Just interesting.

Disney trips:
1979 - (I was 3) stayed with friends in Miami
1982 - Stayed with friends in Miami
1985(6?) - Once again, stayed with friends in Miami.
May 2005 with Jill's parents and relatives. I was hooked again.
June 2005 Joined DMC and started flooding my kids with Disney movies. :-)
December 2006 - 7 day stay, with my family and parents at Coranado Springs
November 2009 - 7 night stay, with my family, my parents and my brother's family at ASM!!
November/December 2010 - 7 night stay with my family, my wife's family and her aunt and uncle at ASSports.
September 2011 - 7 night stay at AS Music with my family and my parents.
September 2012 - 5 nights offsite, 2 nights at ASports with my family, and my wife's family/
September 2013 - 7 nights at CBR. with my family, my wife's family, her cousin and child, and her parents.
simpsonps121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #257
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

I don't know how they would do that honestly.

The meal plan receipts would have the auto-gratuity attached and it is all computerized. I f youplan on paying hte tips, just scoop up all the slips when they come, the server will more than likely need to ring them up three times.

while it seems simple enough to combine on one tab in theory, the way the computer system is, I am not sure they will be able to!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #258
TwoAtDisney
Julie

I saw a restaurant review post on the restaurant board & the poster had used a coupon for the meal, thereby reducing the bill to very little $. She posted about feeling bad for the server because the bill was low, therefore the tip was so low - so she left more than the 18% of the coupon reduced cost.

I just want to state that according to all tipping guidelines I have ever seen, the diner/tipper computes the tip amount "before" discounts, not after.

Hope this helps someone - especially the good server.
TwoAtDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #259
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

if this is in reference to using a restaurant.com certificate the gratuity should be included in the bill and not left to the discretion of the diner
Old 12-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #260
julirina
Close your mouth, Michael. We are not a codfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa_ View Post
Parties of 6 include everyone at the table, including children under 3 and infants.
Really? REALLY? Eensie-weensy babies? We'll be there with a 2.5-3mo baby who will most likely be napping in a sling all through our meals -- no high chair, no drink, no plate sharing, requiring absolutely nothing of the server. Will he or she truly be considered our 6th guest and thereby put us over the mandatory tip threshold?

I would never have thought to include an infant-in-arms in our ADR's -- I would request a table for 5 because there are 5 seated guests. But the tips work differently?

julirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #261
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

She will count as a 6th both towards party size (because so many Disney restaurants operate at capacity, every single body in the restaurant needs to be counted) and she'll also count towards party size for the automatic gratuity threshold.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #262
smidgy
dimples

infants do take up room, whether they eat or not, so they need to be counted in the party size in order to fit the party,

as far as the tip is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it. they don't charge extra for the infant, even if you did feed him a little mashed potatos or whatever. and most people are going to tip anyway, so it wouldn't make any difference.
(the tip isn't based on the number of people, but the amount of the bill)

Last edited by smidgy; 12-22-2010 at 10:26 PM.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #263
smidgy
dimples

i work at a restaurant, and the problem with not counting infants as part of the party comes with setting up tables.

coming up: we have a Christmas buffet. usually big parties. groups of 6, 8 12, or even 20 or 22.!
so when we set up the tables we set it up for that many spaces. so, we set up a table for, say 18, then the party comes in and says, "well there are 18 of us, AND we need 2 high chairs. (even if you turn the high chair upside down, to set the infant seat IN it) and they think we can just "pull up" 2 high chairs. where ? in the aisle?
so NOW, we find out, you REALLY needed a table for 20 (even if the 2 little ones aren't eating anything at all but breast milk, which is fine, they still need the physical space). and the table is all set up for 18, but there is NO room to bring in 2 high chairs, and the nearest 2 top is already seated.
this is why "understating" the number in your party by not including little ones who won't be ordering a meal(to avoid the automatic tip) doesn't work. .
most people do not HOLD the baby THROUGHOUT the meal. (nor should they have to! I know I wouldn't enjoy my meal if I had to hold the baby the whole time) most high chairs are made to turn upside down, to set the infant chair in it, so when baby falls asleep (or is content), mom, too.!(or dad, but we all know it's usually mom!) can enjoy the dinner....
but that takes up space. you can't just place it "in the aisle". ( I need to walk through the aisle!) this is why Disney (or any restaurant) needs to know the total number of people, including infants, in your party.
as to whether this puts you at the "6 person or more" for the auto gratuity...
if it really bothers you, look at it this way... you are still taking up that amount of space in the server's station. it's just that your baby is taking up the space that a "paying customer" would have. 2 babies in one party, who are not eating, take up another 2-top, that the server could have in their station.
so: 2 couples , each with 2 little ones,, will take up 8spots. but, their bill will be less than the bill for 2 tables of 4. so, to protect the server, since her places in her station are taken, they add the 18% gratuity.(because a big portion of her station is taken up).
IF there is a problem with the server.. ie, bad service, rude server, etc,. where you felt 18% is not deserved,you are always free to bring that to the attention of the restaurant manager.
(all of my years as in the restaurant business, if someone felt the service was unworthy of 18% tip, I REALLY want to know that, and want to know the reason WHY, so it can be corrected).

Last edited by smidgy; 12-22-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #264
julirina
Close your mouth, Michael. We are not a codfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
most people do not HOLD the baby THROUGHOUT the meal. (nor should they have to! I know I wouldn't enjoy my meal if I had to hold the baby the whole time) most high chairs are made to turn upside down, to set the infant chair in it, so when baby falls asleep (or is content), mom, too.!(or dad, but we all know it's usually mom!) can enjoy the dinner....
I understand and appreciate what you're saying. But we *will* be holding this baby all through our meals. S/he will be too little to sit upright in a highchair, and we're not dragging a baby seat all around WDW with us -- s/he will probably spend time in a stroller in the parks, but at mealtimes s/he will be strapped to Mommy or Daddy in a sling or a wrap. It's just easier that way.

So while I would more than likely tip at least 18% anyway, it surprised me that a child who is not seated and is not eating is considered a guest at the table. I'm glad for the clarification so I know to expect the automatic gratuity...just surprised.

julirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #265
smidgy
dimples

as a server, and a mom, and a grandmom, I understand. you never know.
I just appreciate knowing the "possible" parameters, when dragging around tables and setting them up..
this is the whole reason for what disny calls "adrs: and other restaurants call "reservations,"
numerous times I have had people say "well, I didn't think had to include the 3 infants in the reservations.... I only included the 10 pAYING RESERVATIONS.

so, I set aside a table for for 10, physically moved tables aside for 10. set aside nearby for OTHER reservations, then had the original reservation say, "well,I didn't think l I needed to reserve space for the babies!" now I need space for 13!
Old 12-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #266
momof3poohlovers
DIS Veteran

I have a different question. We were at Disney over Thanksgiving and were on the dining plan. The first night we were there, we ate at Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club. My 10 month old at the time was exhausted and cranky from being on an airplane all day so Dh and I left during dessert to walk him around a little and my mom decided to pay the bill. They charged us for 6 people instead of 7 and my mom for whatever reason didn't catch it. I noticed it the following night when I went to pay the bill and we were a credit shorter than we should have been. We went to the concierge desk at the Contemporary where we were staying and they credited us the one table service credit but they said there was nothing they could do about the tip. They charged us 18% gratuity for a party of 7 not 6 and so the server got approximately $8 extra than she was supposed to. I think this is wrong as first of all, she was horrible, the only server who was our entire trip, and second of all, it was a buffet, she brought us one drink the entire meal, no refills and we never saw her again until it was time to pay the bill and even then she did the bill wrong. After arguing with the concierge person about getting the extra $8 back, we gave up. We were told we would have to go back to the beach club and talk to the manager there and maybe we could get our money back. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, were you able to get the portion of your automatic tip back that they overcharged?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #267
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I would think too, that the only thing to do was to go back to the restuarant and complain. You could possibly try to call now and see what they say, but my guess is that you are out the 8 dollars.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #268
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

My DD works in Le Cellier.
I know she has told me that people leave her gratuity...and later 'realize' they have left more than they planned on and she has to give it back so perhaps if you went to Cape May and explained the situation?

Myself, for $8 not sure I would take any time from enjoying my trip to do that but if it is bothering you that might be your best recourse?
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #269
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Leaving the servers 'worth' out of the discussion, I think that the only recourse would have been to ask about it directly at the restaurant at the time, or even stopping back the next day(s) when you were there. I am not sure that you'll be able to do much now about the $6.66 that you were overcharged.

I've never read about this happening before, but it's a good tip for everyone to check their bills when they have them with the totals to make sure that the auto gratuity is based on the correct 'base' bill.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #270
caroli
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R. Tolkien)

I have a "stupid" question but I need to ask you this because customs and traditions are not always the same.

When do you exactly leave the tip?
Let's suppose they bring the bill and the total cost of the meal is $120. I pay with $200. They bring the change, and then I leave the tip?
caroli is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: