Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

Visa Rewards Card and Disney Dollars

So i am a first time disney visa card holder. I know the contract says the rewards card can only be used at disney owned stores- i.e. not the world showcase stores etc. Can we use it anywhere else though- like say- the dole whip concession? What about fast food in the parks?

Would it be smarter to go buy a disney gift card with my rewards card, or will a disney gift card have the same restrictions anyways?

What about disney dollars- i went in the store the other day and they told me they are no longer going to sell disney dollars in the store. they will only sell them in parks or online. We have like $500 disney dollars for the trip to use. are there any restrictions on those- can i use it for a bottle of water at a cart? I know I can't obviously use them at the lego store or rainforest or non-disney owned stores like the big japanese store in WS. But are all the food/bev places good for it?

What at downtown disney is NOT disney owned in the marketplace area? besides lego/rainforest?

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
exwdwcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
calypso*a*go-go

Captain of the Love "Board!"
Cost for a tag=1 "Mickey"

Just about all those places let you charge to your room, so I usually make my purchases that way -- then apply the Disney Visa Reward Card to my room @ check-out.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
exwdwcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso*a*go-go View Post
Just about all those places let you charge to your room, so I usually make my purchases that way -- then apply the Disney Visa Reward Card to my room @ check-out.
ah, that is a good idea too. Will they let you pay the room charges with disney dollars? it would be easier than carrying those things around for sure!

84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
calypso*a*go-go

Captain of the Love "Board!"
Cost for a tag=1 "Mickey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
ah, that is a good idea too. Will they let you pay the room charges with disney dollars? it would be easier than carrying those things around for sure!
I'm sure you could. If you don't want to carry the Disney Dollars around, you could always buy a Disney Gift Card with them (you should be able to do it at your local Disney Store before you leave, or wait until you get to WDW). You could probably add the Disney Visa Reward dollars to it as well and have all your "Disney Dough" on just the gift card -- clear as mud?

This is from the Disney Gift Card FAQ's:

Can I use Disney Dollars or the Disney Rewards Card to purchase the Disney Gift Card?
Yes, Disney Dollars and the Disney Rewards Card can be used to purchase the Disney Gift Card at most locations. However, Disney Dollars and Disney Gift Cards cannot be used to purchase a Gift Card online at DisneyStore.com at this time.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
MrToady
Earning My Ears

In the past, I have just asked the front desk to credit my account with the balance on the Disney rewards Visa Card at check-in since I know that I will end up spending more than that on room charges.
MrToady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

We have used Disney Dollars to pay the balance at our resort.

Same for the Rewards card.

That way you can use your room key and not have to juggle all the different methods of payments all the time.

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
darrengs
DIS Veteran

As the others have stated you can use the rewards card to pay down your room charge. However, I used my reward card almost everywhere, including several shops in the World Showcase.

darrengs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
kaligal
DIS Veteran

You can use the rewards card almost everywhere that takes credit cards, including fast food stands like the Dole Whip thing. Very few exceptions. You can use it at the kiosks throughout the parks provided their machines are working. I frequently hear, "The machine isn't working right now" and carry some cash, just in case. Who wants to wait in 2 lines for water?

Last time I checked, France took cash only at their little crepe stand.

And like others said, if you're staying in a Disney hotel (except Swan/Dolphin), you can just use the card against your room. If you aren't staying in a Disney hotel, you could use it on tickets, food and in the shops.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
klam_chowder
Got her own private pool dance on the Podcast cruise
Boy that was one hot run

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso*a*go-go View Post
This is from the Disney Gift Card FAQ's:

Can I use Disney Dollars or the Disney Rewards Card to purchase the Disney Gift Card?
Yes, Disney Dollars and the Disney Rewards Card can be used to purchase the Disney Gift Card at most locations. However, Disney Dollars and Disney Gift Cards cannot be used to purchase a Gift Card online at DisneyStore.com at this time.
Thx a mint for this idea! This is a good work around for the Rewards card expiration date...my Rewards dollars expire 12/10 - not sure if it is at the beginning or the end of the month. If it's at the beginning, I'll just buy a gift card. If it's at the end of the month, I'll be sure to burn thru it as we head to the parks pre/post podcast cruise!

cheers,

text
klam_chowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
sounddesigner
Earning My Ears

The 12/10 date is the end of the month. I have the same expiration.
sounddesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
klam_chowder
Got her own private pool dance on the Podcast cruise
Boy that was one hot run

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddesigner View Post
The 12/10 date is the end of the month. I have the same expiration.
Thx a mint for the info!

cheers,

text
klam_chowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

I have used my Disney Rewards Card EVERYWHERE on property, including in the World Showcase. We have almost $600 so far for our January trip - we'll put $200 toward the trip and use the rest for dining/shopping. Unless a stand says "cash only", you can use the reward card.
AnninIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
exwdwcm

awesome you guys- thanks for all the great info.

Our package and rooms are already paid in full completely - my parents are treating!!! so we don't need to pay down anything- we won't owe anything, but it would be easier to do room charges than carrying arond $500 disney dollars!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
stitchlover
DIS Veteran

FYI...was at the Disney Store this evening to pick up Disney Dollars and was told they were discountinued effective this week. I was soooo sad!
ASMo 2006, POFQ 2007, WL 2008, Disneyland Paradise Pier 2008, Polynesian 2009, AKL 2010, Grand Floridian 2011, DIS ABD Backstage Magic 2/11, Wilderness Lodge 2011, Beach Club 2012, DCL 2012, AKL Kidani Village 2013, ASSports 2013, Disneyland 2013, Boardwalk & Saratoga Springs 2013

[/url]
stitchlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:30 AM   #15
jewjubean
You can call me Bean
My vote "the TG" is a Mutant ninja fairy ranger. Fighting for crazy people everywhere!!:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlover View Post
FYI...was at the Disney Store this evening to pick up Disney Dollars and was told they were discountinued effective this week. I was soooo sad!
Hmmm Im not dissagreeing with you because I'm really not sure. But We are still selling them at Guest Relations at Downtown Disney and at our World Of Disney Info desk. I will ask at work tomorrow if they are still making them and get back to you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: