DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
VanessainWonderland
Mouseketeer

Question Differences between purchasing through Disney v Resale?

Any advice??

Me (28) DH(31): DD(3)DSS(8)

VanessainWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

here is a comparison of resales vs. direct, as stolen from DVCMike:

Quote:
Initial Purchase from DVC
  • You can get the exact number of points that you want (although you must buy a minimum of 160)
  • Faster than resale (you will be in the system and have your points and be able to make reservations much faster than resale)
  • No worries about the purchase if Disney executes ROFR, since that only applies to resale purchases
  • More expensive cost per point than the resale market
  • You can finance through DVC, and Disney doesn’t report the loan to credit reporting agencies
  • You can pay with a Rewards credit card and get points/cash back
  • The full set of points you buy will be available immediately, versus a resale contract which may be “stripped” of points.
  • If you don’t want the resorts they are currently selling (SSR/AKV/BLT/GCV), you may have to do some firm talking to a guide to convince them you really want an older resort.

Initial Purchase via Resale
  • You may not get the exact number of points you want
  • You can purchase fewer than 160 points for your initial buy-in to DVC (Disney won’t let you buy fewer than 160 points - except for a recent deal at AKV).
  • It will take much longer to get into the DVC system and have your points (resales typically take 6-8 weeks)
  • Disney may exercise ROFR and you may lose the resale and have to start all over (When buying resale, one of the potential pitfalls to try to avoid is making an offer that will cause Disney to exercise it’s Right of First Refusal)
  • Resale is typically less expensive than buying from DVC
  • You can’t finance through DVC, although most resale brokers will recommend a finance company
  • A resale contract may be “stripped” of points where the user has used many of the current year’s points, and may have borrowed some or all of next year’s points. Just be aware of “stripped” contracts on the resale market.
  • Easier to pickup large point packages at any of the older DVC resorts.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

With resale you do not get a totebag
I had no problems with my resale through GMAC and would use them again.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
With resale you do not get a totebag
I had no problems with my resale through GMAC and would use them again.
Unless something has changed recently, there are no more totebags, even with direct add ons. No prints of your home resorts either. Did you get something for your VGC puchase?

Bobbi
Old 10-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
VanessainWonderland
Mouseketeer

WOW thanks for all the info. Seems like there is not too much of a difference besides the difference in point price. I want BLT but there are none at the Timeshare store right now. Maybe I should just be patient.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Disneypirate85
DIS Veteran

resell pts are cheap right now! I purchased SSR at $84.00 a pt for 160 pts 2 years ago, today price is down to $68.00 a point. I think thru Disney they are running around $99.00 a pt. Plus went conventional Finance and got a WAYYYYYYYYY better rate then Disney was offering, paid closing cost but over the term of my 5 year note I will save some $$. I recommend The Timeshare Store, was SEAMLESS....Thank you again Jamie.....Shawn

Disneypirate85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
VanessainWonderland
Mouseketeer

WOW sounds like the Timeshare store is great. I am seeing some great deals now, and I am in no rush to get points again as I JUST got back from my Disney Vacay!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
5forDiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessainWonderland View Post
WOW sounds like the Timeshare store is great. I am seeing some great deals now, and I am in no rush to get points again as I JUST got back from my Disney Vacay!
When you're ready you can tell The Timeshare Store how many points & DVC resort(s) you'd be interested in purchasing & they'll send you early notice emails when contracts that may fit your requirements become available before they post them on their website.

Best wishes
5forDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
VanessainWonderland
Mouseketeer

Thank you!

Already did that. I am talking to Jason E. fro Timeshare store.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Unless something has changed recently, there are no more totebags, even with direct add ons. No prints of your home resorts either. Did you get something for your VGC puchase?

Bobbi
I've seen posts by many saying they are still getting bags. We got one with the BLT purchase in March, and some people then said they didn't get them, but others had.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
DenLo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Bobbi
We got a DVC tote with a new member purchase of BLT in May 2009. We did not get one with an add on in June 2009.

We are currently in process of buying via the TSS for 100 points at AKV. We received notice yesterday that we passed ROFR. It took 29 days to pass ROFR. And now we are be told another two weeks before the closing paperwork gets to us. Hopefully that is an exaggerated figure. Otherwise even with a cash transaction, it's going to take 2 months before actual closing. It was much quicker to get our points and being able to make reservations when we bought through Disney direct. But we have saved over $900.

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #12
Pixieflip
Are we there yet?

We live in Nebraska which has a weird law about not being able to receive gifts or promotional materials from DVC and if purchasing, we have to do it in person in Florida, never through the mail.

Does anyone know if this also applies to resale? Probably, right? So how on earth would we accomplish a resale? More than one trip to Florida?

1991 OP, 1994 POFQ, 1996 AS, 1998 POR/CBR, 2000 Disney Institute/OKW, 2001 ASMu/ASMo, 2002 WLV/OKW, 2003 POFQ, 2005 DCL, 2005 OP, 2007 BCV, 2010 AKV, 2010 OKW, 2010 SSR, 2011 OKW, 2012 BC, 2012 OKW...
Pixieflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:44 AM   #13
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I've seen posts by many saying they are still getting bags. We got one with the BLT purchase in March, and some people then said they didn't get them, but others had.
OK...I hadn't received anything with our last direct add on (in '08) and that seemed to be the norm. A DF bought into VGC and didn't receive anything either.

Last week when we stayed in Jambo, we bought a print of that resort to add to the prints of our other "DVC homes." Buying the framed print cost about the same as having the other ones framed, so it worked out.

Bobbi
Old 10-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #14
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK...I hadn't received anything with our last direct add on (in '08) and that seemed to be the norm. A DF bought into VGC and didn't receive anything either.

Last week when we stayed in Jambo, we bought a print of that resort to add to the prints of our other "DVC homes." Buying the framed print cost about the same as having the other ones framed, so it worked out.

Bobbi
Were you ever able to find a print of Boardwalk Villas? I have been looking forever for one, no luck yet! I just bought the Mickey print that hangs over the beds at BLT off of eBay, and had it matted and framed. Spent some dollars doing this!

Last edited by BWV Dreamin; 10-04-2009 at 06:04 AM.
BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
aggiemullins
Do I have to grow up?

We just did a new purchase at BLT and all we got were a couple of ball caps! Granted they were pretty high quality, but not much use to us since we don't wear ball caps. They're red with the DVC logo on front and it says "Member" on back.

When my parents bought in back in 2004, they got a couple of really nice leather embossed backpacks. I'm not sure if that's the tote bags everyone is referring to, but they sure were nice. Heck, during DVC's 15 year anniversary promotion back in 2007 (I think) the planner sent out that year had an extremely nice print with it that was a collage of all the DVC resorts at the time. It came with packaging that looked like a birthday cake. When you pulled a tab, candles came up out of the cake like a "pop-up" book.

I asked my guide if they were holding out the good stuff on me and he said they had really cut back since the economy tanked. He even said they took out their free soda fountain in their break room and replaced it with vending machine!

Hopefully when the economy gets better, maybe some of those small perks will return. It was the little things like those above that made it feel a little more special and not just another timeshare.

Mike

aggiemullins is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: