DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
LisaZ1113
Mouseketeer

Wondering if we've made a mistake...

Ok, so I wish I had known about this board BEFORE we hopped on board and joined DVC. As I read all of these posts it seems as if there are a LOT of unhappy members, and I'm confused.

Please reassure me, happy members/

Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

i still love my DVC. it's not all pixie dust, though.

if DVC was a good deal for you for trips to wdw (and/or DL/hilton head/VB), it's still a good deal.

if you were counting on perks like free valet parking, maybe not so much.

most of us are still happy, but maybe not as happy as we were a couple of years ago...

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
NCDisneyFans
Earning My Ears

We have only been DVC members for a year and we have no regrets. Our family loves Disney and this is the best way for us to be able to enjoy it more than once a year and in world class resorts.

Hopefully you will enjoy being a member as much as we do.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
DenLo
DIS Veteran

People are unhappy with having some (especially one) perks taken away from their DVC. However, after the current storm passes, people will admit that the reason they purchased DVC was to save money on deluxe villas in the future. Everyone is still happy with that scenario. We just bought into the DVC this year and we know that within 5 to 7 stays will have recouped our initial investment. Just knowing that we'll have another 45 years of reservations that will only cost us the yearly MF is so incredible.

Before buying into the DVC we were very limited on the number of days we could afford to stay at WDW nor could we go to there more than once every few years. We like staying at the moderate or deluxe resorts. Now with the DVC we have a guaranteed ourselves a much longer yearly vacation in a deluxe villa. Or if we choose we can double our stay and go only every other year. Or stay in larger accommodation, or bring family ... but you get the picture.

The perks were and are just cream in our coffee. But the real treasure will always be there for us, the right to stay at a DVC villa using our points.

Welcome Home! And enjoy your stays at WDW!

Old 10-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
LisaZ1113
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone.
I guess some people are just never happy. Hopefully, I won't become like that!

Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I think people like to come on here to "vent" but really aren't that unhappy. I am not happy about the valet parking change and how it was communicated but I would not say I'm a "unhappy member". I love my DVC! You just have to remember that all you are guaranteed is what is in the contract, which is basically the room itself and the resort ammenities like the pool. "Perks" are not guaranteed.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Dizny Dad
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure how long ago you "hopped on board" DVC, but it is very normal for a person to experience a period of cognitive dissonance after a major purchase or life changing decision. Go with it. I always write down on a piece of paper the plus and minus points, look at them, review them, etc.

We joined DVC and never looked back. Sure we all can complain. Some can complain that the lottery they won wasn't big enough!

Enjoy the DVC experience, the inclusion, the planning, the magic; it is all there for you to experience.

[YC 10/90][DI 6/98][SSR 8/06][DVC 10/06][SSR 3/07][VWL / SSR 12/07][SSR 5/08][SSR 10/08][VWL 5/09][VWL / SSR 12/09][AKV / SSR 5/10][VWL / SSR 12/10][VWL 5/11]
[VWL 10/11][VWL 12/11][AKL 4/12][VWL 5/12][VWL 12/12][Aulani 2/13][SSR 10/13][VWL 12/13][BWV 5/14][VWL 5/14][AKL 10/14][VWL 10/14][VWL 12/14]
[..& Still Planning]
Old 10-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
toniosmom
AKV, BCV, BLT Owner!

I have been a member for the past year and a half. I have added on 3 times and have never regretted my membership. I think I put myself into debt that I probably didn't need (MFs), but it's a risk I find worth taking. I am so excited that I can now provide my son with a wonderful experience each year at WDW. He is only 4, so we have many many years to come of creating special memories that will last a lifetime.

You will always find unhappy people on a board, whether it be this one or another. That's the beauty of forums like this. The unhappy people keep you grounded and the happy people brighten your day.

Nope, no regrets here! Enjoy!!!

1974 - Offsite 1976 - Offsite 1997 - Dixie Landings 1998 - Offsite 2008 - All Star Movies - Became new DVC member! March 2009 - SSR - First DVC Vacation!
March 2010 - AKV-Kidani Dec 2010 - BLT Christmas Trip April 2011 - BCV Nov 2011- BWV/DCL Dream March 2013 - BLT/DCL Dream April 2014 - VGF/DCL Dream Sept 2014 - VWL
Old 10-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
DVCowner2009
Earning My Ears

One of the things I've noticed over the years about message boards is that they're great to understand the polar extremes of a product, topic, etc. (i.e. those who are either extremely happy or extremely dissatisfied). Although this is simply my unsophisticated-wild-guess, I'd bet that the vast majority (probably 90%) of DVC owners aren't registered on any boards or discussion groups, and they are perfectly content with their membership. Oftentimes it's hard to remember that we probably really only see a small percentage of DVC owners on here, all of whom are much more passionate than the general ownership pool.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
DenLo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ1113 View Post
Thanks everyone.
I guess some people are just never happy. Hopefully, I won't become like that!
Some look a glass and see it half full and others see it half empty.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

I'm one very happy DVC member here! We bought into BLT because we see the savings potential in having DVC, and, although the loss of some perks does sting a little bit, that doesn't affect our incredible savings in accommodations by being DVC members. It's not all roses, sure, but it certainly beats having to shell out thousands of dollars every trip for Deluxe accommodations (or, having to shell out close to a thousand dollars to stay at a Value). No matter how much of a "Disney" spin is associated with DVC, it's still just a timeshare with a goal to make as much profit as possible. I believe, however, that Disney does make an effort to make its members happy, all while striking the balance of staying profitable. Sometimes we (members) win; sometimes we don't.

Me (34); DD (9)
December, 2007 Land/Sea Trip Report
9 Days of Disney Dining (Food Report)
March, 2009 Trip Report
September, 2009 Eastern Cruise Trip Report

Next trips: Aulani in September, 2014 and Thanksgiving, 2014 on the Magic (YAY).
Old 10-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

We've been members since 2003 and love DVC. I have some complaints, but all in all I love our membership. Disboards is a great place to come and complain, but I highly doubt very many people would sell their membership because of dissatisfaction.

If you love going to Walt Disney World or Disneyland, you haven't made a mistake!!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
WolfpackFan
Retired and loving every minute of it!!

Sigh, you haven't made a mistake. It's just a lot of people like to complain about things. Keep in mind you're not joining a club or anything. You are buying a timeshare and that is what you're getting. You're not buying valet parking. You're not buying annual pass discounts, etc. We value our DVC ownership now every bit as much as we did 6 years ago when we made our initial purchase and we look forward to every trip we make down to WDW. Just ignore the complainers. I think people get worked up way too easily over some of this stuff and they love to vent their dissatisfaction.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #14
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears
We cannot lose the kitchen
Who knew I had no pictures of Frontierland?

We are happy members

We started as happy members and continue to be happy. We knew when we bought we were only getting accomodations of a size and style we wanted to enjoy while vacationing. We did not buy for valet parking, discounted APs, discounts at Disney Florist, etc.- all the perks are gravy.

We have used our points for 3 trips to WDW, a weekend at Keystone Resort in Colorado, and 2 nights at Hong Kong Disneyland (where you get park tickets for a stay booked on points - a definite bargain!).

Perks wise, we've used DVC discounts at resataurants at WDW, and that's about it.

Unlike what some may suggest, you don't need rose coloured glasses to be happy. I can assure you, we don't have them.

The happy members are out there. When looking at these boards, remember two things: first, the members of this board are a small (but thoughtful and vocal) percentage of the total DVC membership. Second, people are more likely to post about the bad experiences than the good.

So just remember why YOU decided to buy, and don't worry so much.

Welcome Home!

Old 10-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #15
whitfamily
Mouseketeer

As many have said people often grip on this board, but we all love Disney and DVC. I am one of those who was a little peeved with the valet issue, more that I would have had no clue had I not checked the DIS board.

Despite that I am eagerly counting down the time until we leave for our long DVC weekend (14 days by the way!).

Twitter: @RobOnDisney

http://www.disneyfamilyman.com
http://www.facebook.com/rwhitneyjr

Trips:
2006- CBR for Honeymoon
2007- Disneyland
2008- Yacht Club
2009- Pop(Jan), AKV/BWV(May), POR/AKV(Oct), Disneyland (Dec)
2010- BWV/VWL(Jan), AKV(Aug), ASSp(Oct), ASSM(Dec)
2011- Planned Disneyland (Aug), ASSp(Epic October), POFQ/AKV/DCL (Oct Wedding)
2012- Planned BCV (Jan)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: