Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
TheMightyOb
Mouseketeer

Help!! - Cruise newbie utterly petrified!

Ok, so I was EXTREMELY excited to read about DCL and actually was about 95% sold on a 7 day cruise to the Carribean. Then I started reading up on the forums here and stumbled on a massive thread where everyone on a certain deck got really really sick, both onboard and off and now I am terrified of dropping 5 grand, and being sick the entire trip, or my kids or wife being sick.

So, this would be the first cruise for any of us ever. DW, DD - 6, DD - 10.

My wife gets carsick in about 30 seconds if she is reading in it. I also feel ill if I do the same, it just takes a little longer. Airplanes make her a little on the green side too.

I know there are medications out there.

I think I need someone to talk me out of this new fear of having a 7 day, cramped in a small room with 4 puking people fighting for the same toilet, vacation from hell. Oh yeah, if my wife gets seasick and can't hold food down, it could be bad news, shes diabetic...

Give me some good stories or somehting to override this.
TheMightyOb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
shaylahc1
Mouseketeer

LOL!!! You poor thing. It is gonna be fine, really. Do you think if it was that horrible people would cruise over and over? I was on one of the cruises in January that was hit by the Noro virus (or whatever bug it was) and no one in my family got sick. We are big handwashers. I have Lupus (and a supressed immune system) and I am getting ready to spend 25 days cruising the on the Magic I am about as paranoid as they come (I am bringing half a pharmacy on my trip) but it is still totally worth it! I also get vertigo and throw up sometimes but did not have seasickness once on the ship.

My advice is if you are really worried about it then why not start with a shorter cruise---3 or 4 days? Leave the kids at home and you and your wife can go and see how you like it. Then if you decide you love cruising (and you probably will ) THEN drop the 5 grand on the family trip of a lifetime.

shaylahc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Scotty69
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc1 View Post
LOL!!! You poor thing. It is gonna be fine, really. Do you think if it was that horrible people would cruise over and over? I was on one of the cruises in January that was hit by the Noro virus (or whatever bug it was) and no one in my family got sick. We are big handwashers. I have Lupus (and a supressed immune system) and I am getting ready to spend 25 days cruising the on the Magic I am about as paranoid as they come (I am bringing half a pharmacy on my trip) but it is still totally worth it! I also get vertigo and throw up sometimes but did not have seasickness once on the ship.

My advice is if you are really worried about it then why not start with a shorter cruise---3 or 4 days? Leave the kids at home and you and your wife can go and see how you like it. Then if you decide you love cruising (and you probably will ) THEN drop the 5 grand on the family trip of a lifetime.
I totally agree, take a shorter one and if you like it you can book a longer one on the ship and get a discount plus a biger on board credit and plus the 10% discount
Scotty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

I'd stick with the 7-night cruise! Yes, you can save a little on a 3 or 4-night cruise, but I don't find them sufficiently long enough to really enjoy cruising as a family. We've had two members of our party get minor motion sickness the first night, but with Dramamine or similar, they were fine. My DW did get sick another time in rough seas, but she acknowledged that she just forgot to take medication as she can get motion sickness easily. If you're really worried about motion sickness, I see a lot of people wearing a patch. I've never been affected by the movement of the ship. Most of the time, you can hardly notice it's moving, but there are times that you can feel some true movement.

With respect to other sicknesses, Disney has antibacterial lotion at the front of every restaurant. In addition, there's a crew member who hands you an antibacterial wipe as you enter any restaurant. Even in the public restrooms, they encourage you to use a towel to open the door and have strategically placed a trash can near the door to dispose the towel.

We're heading down for DCL Cruise #5 this Fall! With a DW who gets seasick easily, would we be doing this if she was miserable the entire trip?
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
disneychic
DIS Veteran

7 day Disney cruises are fantastic. We've dont both the eastern and western caribbean, and enjoyed both itineraries (although I do prefer the western). However, if you are going to opt for a shorter cruise don't do a 3 day. Waaaayy to short. Try a 4 day. But, I really think you will be fine. We're going on #10 this October. On one of our Disney cruises (it was in January a few years back) we had 1 day of really rough seas/wind/rain and we still didn't suffer any sea sickness. You will be fine. Go and enjoy. It's worth every cent.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Meum
Mouseketeer

I agree with the others, just DO IT! I get motion sickness very easy and just wear the patch behind my ear for the entire cruise although I don't feel any movement. We've never done a 3 or 4 day, it's always been longer so I can't comment on that. I think you should just jump in with a positive perspective (but prepared for problems) and consider it an adventure! We are booked to leave in June on our 4th Disney Cruise and can't wait to book our 5th. We also haven't run into any problems with the sicknesses they talk about ships getting but we do use the wipes everywhere and Disney is really good about having them available. Drop the dough and have a great time

Marianne
Disney Magic Mexican Riveria Cruise 2005
Disneyland Tokyo 2006
Disneyland Hong Kong 2006
Disney Magic Westbound Trans Atlantic Cruise 2007
Disney Magic Eastbound Panama Canal Cruise 2008
First time DVC visit to Grand Californian Villas 2010
Disney Magic Inagural Northern European Capitals Cruise 2010
Meum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
TheDisneyingNewfie
Mouseketeer

I think the car sick thing while reading is much different than sea sickness. I can't read in the car but don't get sea sick. And my DW can read in the car all she wants but can hardly step onto a boat.

I think the reading in the car is based on peripheral vision issues and the sea sickness is not. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

So maybe you won't even notice it.

DW DH DS(11)
TheDisneyingNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
smb6
DIS Veteran

I have serious germ issues. My biggest fear for any planned trip (a cruise, WDW, anywhere) is getting sick! I just travel with clorox wipes, travel size lysol, antibacterial soap, and medication for everything imaginable. Thus far, we've been blessed to stay well. Believe me if I can overcome, you can..... I'm so OCD about germs, I make my kids keep their hands in their pockets (so as not to be contaminated) when we go to the dr's due to all the people there being sick; lol.
smb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Martin2611
Earning My Ears

Well, we take a 4 night cruise last year (first cruise ever) and before the cruise we spend no time that we could get sick.

OK, after 2 hours at sea we know that cruising without tablets or anything else is not working but then we have no problems any more and enjoy the rest of the trip.

The next cruise can come...

Martin

2009 - 4 night Bahamian - Wonder
2010 - 7 night Western - Magic
2011 - 2 x 4 night Bahamian - Dream
2012 - 7 night Eastern - Magic
2012 - 5 night New England - Magic
2012 - 6 night Repo Pacific Coast - Wonder
2013 - 7 night Eastern - Fantasy
next cruises:
2014 - 4 night Bahamian - Wonder
2014 - 5 night Western - Wonder (b2b)
2014 - 12 night EB Transatlantic - Magic
Martin2611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
skylynx

Riding for my own brand.

One thing that really helps if you feel queasy is being able to see the horizon and step out to get some sea breeze. Do you have an outside stateroom with a balcony? Even a port hole will offer that visual relief of equilibrium.

Usually the first night out on either the 4's or 7's is a little rough until you get your sea legs. Some well-timed Dramamine made that a non-issue for everyone in my family. And although one night the ship was rolling a bit when we went to bed, my two teenagers in the sofa bed and overhead bunk said they'd never slept better (as the direction they were lying made it seem like they were babies rocking side to side in cradles). In our bed we were rocking head to toe...somewhat less enchanting but entirely tolerable. After the first day, we never even noticed it. Most of the time you have to look out the window or over a deck railing to tell you are even moving.

So consider stocking up on the Dramamine (maybe try it out on a drive on a wiggly road or a smaller boat beforehand to test it's effectiveness). You can get the non-drowsy kind. In fact, the illness you should be most worried about is the addiction to Disney Cruising! Incurable, but highly-treatable.
WDW 2 many times 2 count since 1973 AKL, WL, Dixie Landings, CB, VB,OKW, GCV, 5 Disney Institute Professional Programs CA/Disneyland GCAL, Treehouse Villas DVC 2007 Disney Wonder 10/02, 3/03, 2/04, 5/06, 5/07, 6/08, 8/10, 2/11Disney Magic W 10/04, 1/07, E 2/06, 11/08, 2/12 Disney Dream 6/11 6/14 Disney Fantasy 2/13 2/14 NCL Alaska 6/09 Trader's Inn Beach Club Ormond Beach FL 2014
skylynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
cyndisun
Queen of the Split Stay

I agree with a PP, car sickness is a completely different thing. I cannot even glance at a map without getting sick but I have not felt seasick on either cruise.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
BelleBway
Spreading Sparkly Purple Pixie Dust

I also have a horrible time with reading in a car. But I've taken 4 cruises (only 1 DCL) and I was fine. The worst experience I had was when I felt the seas were a bit choppy on my Asian cruise this past January- and even then, I just laid down a bit and I was basically fine. It didn't impact my enjoyment of the cruise one bit- and it was only 1 night out of the 9 nights aboard the ship.
WDW: 1976, 1985, 1986: Offsite | 1990: Disney Inn/ Big Red Boat | 1992: CBR | 1995: Dixie Landings | 1996: Poly | 1997: Offsite | Apr 1998: BW | July 1998: ASMu | Dec 1998: BC/ Disney Magic | June 1999: ASMu/ Contemporary Tower | Dec 1999: WL/ Contemporary Tower | 2000: CBR/ POFQ/ CSR | 2003: Contemporary Tower | 2009: AKL with the nieces| 2011: Disney Dream/ GF with the nieces | 2013: Poly with the nieces

DLP: 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000
TDR: 1993, 2002, 2005, 2012
HKDL: 2007, 2010, 2013
DL: a bunch of times I can't remember, 2000, 2010, 2011
BelleBway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #13
pluto1979
DIS Veteran

First and foremost, stop for a sec and relaxe. Your safety and comfort are the most important thing as well as your families! Here are some ideas to help keep your nerves down. First most people feel this way when taking a cruise for the first time! I too felt the same way!

1. Get a room located in the center of the ship as that it where it is the most stable.
2. A room with a view or a balcony helps if you can afford it.
3. Go to your doc and make sure you have medications for seasickness AND for nausau. These are 2 different medications. Also make sure you have whatever it is you need for your wifes diabetes.
4. Move around as often as you can as this will keep your mind off of any rough waves you might encounter. Or lay down.
5. If you are very concerned make sure you buy the trip insurance just in case you decide to cancel.
6. Worse case scenario, you can always get off at the next port and take a flight back home if you cant take the ship.
Other info:
Remember there is a Doctor on the ship at all time. They can come to the room if needed and if their is any other problems that are life threatening, they can have anyone airlifted off the ship from anywhere at anytime!

Remember to relaxe, relaxe, relaxe.

Most people get sick not from seasickness but from Norovirus! So always wash your hands which you will find bubbles filled with hand sanitizer everywhere on the ship. YOu can also carry hand sanatizer with you. Also its a good idea to bring a bottle of air sanatizer that you can spray when you get into the room which will kill some of the germs if your concerned.

I have OCD and so cleanliness is an issue for me and I must say that I very rarely have concerns on the boat.

relaxe and enjoy every bit of the ship and your vacation. Remember you can get just as sick on a boat as you can in a hotel. Disney cleans their ships constantly and you very rarely hear about large amounts of people getting sick on their ships.

Hope this helps!

Be sure to follow my blog about my life as a Disney Cast Member!
Disney Dreamer & Magic Maker
http://www.disneycm.blogspot.com
pluto1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
Scoobydoo76
Mouseketeer

In case you don’t want to use the heavy duty motion sickness medication (Dramamine or the patch) try using Ginger tablets. You can purchase them in the vitamin section at any drug store, Wal-Mart or Target. Our family uses them if and when the boat gets a little rocky. You should be fine on the cruise. My mom (74) who is petrified of swimming and water, and suffers from vertigo, cruised with us a few years ago. She survived without any sickness and loved it!
Scoobydoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #15
Mich123
Mouseketeer

We went on a three day cruise in February as a test...to see who would get sick! No one did! We are a family of four and three of the four are prone to seasickness. We've had incidents. DH was sick for 24 hours on a boat to Greece and DD14 was sick all over me on a whale watching excursion. It's not pretty! So, it was with some trepidation that we decided to go on a cruise. We all took either Bonine or Dramamine every day and we were fine. We even booked a 7 day for next year...next time, DH plans to get the patch and I'm going to try ginger. There's a great Mythbusters show on seasickness and they found that ginger worked the best.

Good luck!
2013 Back to Disneyland Grand Californian/2012 Polynesian/2011 Our Second Disney Cruise - Mexican Riviera/2010 Our First Disney Cruise and Disney's Vero Beach...and Our First trip to Disneyland! Grand Californian/2009 Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside/2008 Disney's Vero Beach/2007 Port Orleans Riverside/2006 Coronado Springs

Mich123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: