Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #61
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Hi All!

I read through everyone's great comments and I promise to respond to everyone individually, tomorrow! It's already 11pm and we just got home from Dorney. Talk about "walk - on". It was walk - on everything. I just really wish I could do hard-core thrill rides, like those coasters that send up spiraling upward and then flying backwards up another 90 degree tower only to leave you hanging there looking straight down. You know - those really crazy ones. But we did ride the tamer coasters numerous times - Talon, Steel Force, and the new one - Hydra (which was down most of the day).

The Hydra is a B&M coaster (the same company that made the Incredible Hulk coaster in IoA). It was very smooth and very fun. I did work up the nerve for the front seat on Talon and that was amazing. I kept thinking we were really going to hit our heads on the track. What a rush! Unfortunately, after several rides on those looping coasters, I started to get one of the "coaster headaches". You know - that funny pressure in your head which is probably a warning that you've knocked your brains against your cranium a few too many times. But I managed to ride Steele Force 5 times, Talon 4 times, and Hydra twice.

We stayed until dark so we could visit a couple of the Halloween Haunt attractions. Well, I think I screamed more at the spooky looking people jumping out of the fog, then I did on the cranium busting coasters. I hated to leave, but we had a long drive home, made longer by an accident that closed all the lanes on I95. The one attraction was just down-right gory, but so much fun. We had a blast. I wish they would have their picnic there again next year.

Anyway - gotta go sleep. Comments and an update will be coming tomorrow!
Sounds like a fun day, I know nothing about that park but it sounds like they have some good coasters! Although I have to say....I don't think of the Hulk as being tame! I like it but I don't think it's tame. Does that make me lame?

UGH on the coaster headache!

Quote:
OK, not so funny for you. Does your state having a driving curfew? Delaware does. In fact, for the first 6 months the 16 yr old needs an adult in the car. I am grateful for that.
We do have a curfew, it is 1am. Somehow he managed to "miss" the freeway coming back from a friends and ended up over by his mom's. On a night his mom and sister were away at a game. It is impossible to miss the freeway from where he was to get to his mom's. He'd have had to drive over, or under it. But at 5 minutes to 1 DH didn't want him on the road so let him stay over there. He's not been allowed to drive any of our cars since then, we will see what happens this weekend but he's cut off at night for now. No evidence of anything else but....

see below

Quote:
to the horror store of teens alone gone bad. You will have to share a story or two.
Gone bad is a stretch. Good, actually normally exceptionally good, teens doing stupid teen stuff like saying they are sleeping over at a friends, actually going to a party and getting severe alcohol poisoning. AP/Honors, academic scholarship candidate kinds of teens doing this. Ones that have no history of drinking and such and run the risk of getting kicked off of cheer if caught. And hopefully having the scare of their lives and never doing anything like it again but still! Talk about putting everything at risk!

Quote:
I that cooler, too. I did check it. It was full of water and a bottle of wine. Since the plastic wheely thing detacts, I just carried that and put it under my seat. We kept that bad-boy filled with ice. No leaks whatsoever. Perfect for a trip to the value resorts!
Did you wrap the wine to keep it from breaking? Or did you check it with ice in it?

Quote:
We did get a bit of a warning. We knew the head was going to be on the fish. We didn't know about the rest of the body. Filleting it tableside does sound like the right thing today. Maybe not of the waiters knew how to do that? Interesting. Because it was the bones, not the appearance, that really presented the challenge. When the waiter asked how everything was, and Denny told him about the bones, he just sort-of did this ......
It seems crazy to me that a Signature restaurant would not know how to do that tableside. I mean if "I" can do it....

Quote:
I did look marvelous. I can only say that because I have no pictures of myself to prove it. But at least my pants fit, because they were way too tight before I started weight watchers!
That's wonderful about the pants!
Old 10-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #62
kindra657
Dedicated to a Mouse

I'm in! That fish looked scary! I would've sent it back! As for the rental car, we never bother, and as for going without the teenagers.... i'm all for it! can't wait to read more!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #63
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
Mary Ellen, I think Denny had the guy on the right for dinner

Serves him right for messing with Marlin and Dory

LOL! That is so freak'in perfect! You're really giving Shocker a run for his money with that picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Sounds like a fun day, I know nothing about that park but it sounds like they have some good coasters! Although I have to say....I don't think of the Hulk as being tame! I like it but I don't think it's tame. Does that make me lame?

UGH on the coaster headache!

It was a great day! I don't think the Hulk is lame either. This was like the hulk (smooth), but not as long, not as high, and no blast off through the tunnel. I consider it a regular theme park coaster, not one of those really crazy ones that even your kids say, "Wow, that was intense". Dorney park is sort of like a 6 flags, but its owned by Cedar Faire parks. I'm not sure what else they own, but their annual pass for ALL their parks is $150. That could be a serious good deal for thrill ride junkies.

Quote:
We do have a curfew, it is 1am. Somehow he managed to "miss" the freeway coming back from a friends and ended up over by his mom's. On a night his mom and sister were away at a game. It is impossible to miss the freeway from where he was to get to his mom's. He'd have had to drive over, or under it. But at 5 minutes to 1 DH didn't want him on the road so let him stay over there. He's not been allowed to drive any of our cars since then, we will see what happens this weekend but he's cut off at night for now. No evidence of anything else but....
I had to read this a few times, but NOW I get it. Slick! Nice try! I don't blame you at all for not letting him drive. Why do teens think adults are so lame that they don't know what's really going on. Remind me to tell you about the time in July when Brian "stole" my car while I was sleeping.

By the way, 1am seems like a really late curfew to me.

Quote:
Did you wrap the wine to keep it from breaking? Or did you check it with ice in it?

I used some big plastic packing bubbles that were inside of box that was shipped to me recently. I put the wine and water inside a cardboard box and then put the cardboard box inside the cooler. I used the packing bubbles to cushion everything. Worked like a charm. The only stupid thing I did was fill the whole thing with ice after we arrived. Silly me.... I forgot to take the cardboard box out first. That was messy!

Quote:

It seems crazy to me that a Signature restaurant would not know how to do that tableside. I mean if "I" can do it....
I'm glad you explained the whole process to me, because it does seem crazy that they did not filet the fish properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindra657 View Post
I'm in! That fish looked scary! I would've sent it back! As for the rental car, we never bother, and as for going without the teenagers.... i'm all for it! can't wait to read more!

Welcome Kindra..... I should have posted the picture of the fish, then taken a poll to find out how many people would have sent that fish back!

Going without the teens was so much fun. We are now planning another teenager free trip for May!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Last edited by MEK; 10-06-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #64
MEK
DIS Veteran

A Magical Evening at the MK (AKA "My aching feet")

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK....you are not going to believe this. this has never happened to me before. I just started working on an update and I LOST it! It vanished! Poof....gone......into thin air. I am so exhausted from my late night at Dorney, that I actually started to fall asleep and I must have closed my update by mistake. OK...that really stinks.

So, I will not get through the entire update, but I really want to start.

So when I left off, we had just left Narcoosees to hop the monorail to MK. Originally I thought we would watch Wishes from the Narcoosee's deck, but I realized that we had just enough to get over to MK before Wishes started. If you read my June 09 TR you might remember that my camera batteries died and I almost got into a fight with a woman right after I went up on the deck outside of the train station to photograph Wishes. It was not one of the highlights of my June trip.

Well, tonight I was going to try again. We got up to the train station just as Wishes started. Let me add a disclaimer to my pics....I have finally decided that it is impossible to get good firework pics with my point and shoot Fuji. I decided not to use any of the special modes, I just put the camera in automatic and here's what I got. It ain't all that.....

OK...they are bad, but by my next trip I hope to have a better camera and I am going to use a tripod. I really had a hard time keeping the camera steady. I'm not super steady to begin with, let alone after having a few drinks!

After Wishes, we decided to do a few things in MK. Despite my sleep deprivation, I was feeling pretty energized. I was so excited to be in the MK and I just wanted to soak up all the energy around me. It was really invigorating.

The castle looked so beautiful....

The halloween decorations were so cool....

Wooh...Where did Denny go?

Wait....I'm not even sure if that is Denny.

Oh, there's that crazy castle again.....

I have always wanted to visit the MK during Halloween and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I especially love the little array of carved pumpkins lined up above the exit which read, "See you real soon". How cute is that?

After we took in the hubbub of Main Street we made a sharp right and headed over to Tomorrowland. I needed to see the new lighting along the TTA. The TTA is one of my favs. It's always there when you need a break. It never disappoints.

Wow...look at those lights......cool!

More Tomorrowland......

I was hoping that our ride on TTA might provide some glimpse into the Space Mountain renovations, but that was not to be the case. This is about all I saw,,,,

These guys obviously wanted to see some renovations as well.....

Oh Lo

ok....this is revealing:

Another ride pic...

Well, I didn't get as far as I wanted, but maybe I'll get a chance to update again tomorrow night.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #65
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Ohhhhh! I didn't know TTA was open! Yay!

You got some really cool castle pics in the spooky lights!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #66
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

All caught up! So, Connor was hugging me good night as I was reading, so I could not resist showing him Denny's fish. His response was, "THAT'S A FISH!" I must say that your surf and turf looks way better!

Sorry about all the teenage angst and the sleepless night!

I about dying laughing at the "I am not even sure that is Denny" pic!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #67
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Quote:

LOL! That is so freak'in perfect! You're really giving Shocker a run for his money with that picture!
LOL!! All I could think about after I saw the dish on Denny's plate was that fish from Nemo!!

Sounds like a great night in MK so far! I love TTA as well! I love to take a ride with my feet up and feel a little breeze on my face!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #68
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

You know....I love that last pic of the fireworks and the castle. Very pretty and spooky Halloween at the same time.

I am just so happy that TTA is opened again. I really missed it in May!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #69
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Ohhhhh! I didn't know TTA was open! Yay!

You got some really cool castle pics in the spooky lights!
I think TTA opened the week before we got there. The cool red lights on the track are a nice enhancement, but I really miss see space mountain. It won't be the same until that is up and running. I miss the day-glo lights, twinkling stars, and the screams. Most of all I miss the space mtn music. I hope they don't change that!

The castle does look especially cool at Halloween. I think I like the Halloween decorations better than the Christmas decorations. So glad I got to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
All caught up! So, Connor was hugging me good night as I was reading, so I could not resist showing him Denny's fish. His response was, "THAT'S A FISH!" I must say that your surf and turf looks way better!
I knew Connor would love that fish! OMG I crack myself up when I think how he would have reacted to THAT in a restaurant!

Quote:
Sorry about all the teenage angst and the sleepless night!
I just you just have to have a little pain before enjoying the pleasure of a Disney trip! So, it's all good!

Quote:
I about dying laughing at the "I am not even sure that is Denny" pic!
I really thought that was Denny, but I looked again and thought, "uhmm, not so sure".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
LOL!! All I could think about after I saw the dish on Denny's plate was that fish from Nemo!!

Sounds like a great night in MK so far! I love TTA as well! I love to take a ride with my feet up and feel a little breeze on my face!
OMG! That picture was SOOOOOOOO perfect. Denny got a good chuckle out of that and I was down-right hysterical.

We did have a lovely evening in the MK. I tried to put it in my update, but, again, I ended up deleting things. Will carry on with it today/tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
You know....I love that last pic of the fireworks and the castle. Very pretty and spooky Halloween at the same time.

I am just so happy that TTA is opened again. I really missed it in May!
Thanks for the compliment, coming from the expert photographer LL! I just really struggle with those fireworks. But come May, I'm gonna kill it down there with a new camera!

Yes, you will get to ride TTA to your heart's content in January. And Space Mtn will be up!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't WAIT for that come May!

Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #70
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I knew Connor would love that fish! OMG I crack myself up when I think how he would have reacted to THAT in a restaurant!
He probably would have had to move tables and eat alone!

Quote:
I just you just have to have a little pain before enjoying the pleasure of a Disney trip! So, it's all good!
It's like the dress rehearsal before a performance.

Quote:
I really thought that was Denny, but I looked again and thought, "uhmm, not so sure".
There goes, Mary Ellen -- taking random pics of guys.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #71
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

What a hoot it was to read this update!! I enjoyed your pictures...the castle looked really creepy yet beautiful at the same time I really loved that!!!! TTA is such a great ride although it was very creepy for me to ride on it at night, I think Paula may have freaked me out while I was on that ride LOL I scare easily LOL!!!!! I was hoping for a sneak peak too at Space Mountain but no such luck!!

LOL...well let's hope its Denny...if not what a cute pic to have of some random guy at Disney LOL!!!!!

Can't wait for more...sorry you lost your full update...what a bummer!! Thanks for sharing this with us though!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 10-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #72
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

ugh! I hate when that happens- when you lose your whole update!!! Really! It just stinks!

And FWIW, I thought your automatic/ no tri-pod pics were great!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #73
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
He probably would have had to move tables and eat alone!
Oh I can just see that. Well, if it makes you feel any better my 16year old, Brian, would have to move to another table, too. He despises fish!

Quote:

There goes, Mary Ellen -- taking random pics of guys.
I am going to blame that mishap on the sangria, the champagne, and the sleep deprivation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
What a hoot it was to read this update!! I enjoyed your pictures...the castle looked really creepy yet beautiful at the same time I really loved that!!!!
Thanks. glad you liked the creepy castle picture. I can't wait to see the pics from yours and Pauls's trip. Are you doing a joint TR? Can't wait!

Quote:
TTA is such a great ride although it was very creepy for me to ride on it at night, I think Paula may have freaked me out while I was on that ride LOL I scare easily LOL!!!!! I was hoping for a sneak peak too at Space Mountain but no such luck!!
You who are intoxicated by the Haunted Mansion scare easily?????NO! What the heck was she doing to freak you out?

Quote:
Can't wait for more...sorry you lost your full update...what a bummer!! Thanks for sharing this with us though!

I do not know what my problem was last night, but TWICE I lost the pictures I posted of HM! I will try again tonight! The whole time I was thinking about you....thinking ...oh Jen is going to be so proud of me for taking these pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
ugh! I hate when that happens- when you lose your whole update!!! Really! It just stinks!
I will never post an update again when I keep falling asleep. That is just a recipe for disaster. Fortunately I am much more awake today, so tonight's update better go smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
And FWIW, I thought your automatic/ no tri-pod pics were great!!!
Any you forgot to mention the sangria and champagne I drank right BEFORE taking them! Thanks for the compliment!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #74
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

Ok! All caught up!!! So far so good! Good job on the car upgrade and glad to see you made it around alive with the shaking wheel! LOL
It sounds like you had a nice dinner with just the two of you at Narcoossees! Ahhhhh...what that must be like...a dinner without kids! Some day!!! But, the fish...eh, not sure if I could have stayed to look at that for the whole dinner! It was a bit scary! Actually it was so big and alive-looking that it was like you had a dinner for three! LOL
The fireworks pix look good! Just had to get a little taste of the MK in, right? Tired or not! I get that! We don't land until 10 pm in December...I wish I could get to a park, any park. But, it will be too late!

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #75
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
I had to read this a few times, but NOW I get it. Slick! Nice try! I don't blame you at all for not letting him drive. Why do teens think adults are so lame that they don't know what's really going on. Remind me to tell you about the time in July when Brian "stole" my car while I was sleeping.

By the way, 1am seems like a really late curfew to me.
Oh my!

I couldn't agree more about the curfew. It's one of those situations where I bite my tounge as that is between Jeff and his ex to decide what they are ok with and that's what the law is. That said the E's will NOT be allowed out that late when they are that age! It's 1am on Friday and Sat...I forget what on weeknights...maybe midnight? He can't have anyone in the car with him that is under 21 unless they are family for the 1st 6 months.

Quote:
I used some big plastic packing bubbles that were inside of box that was shipped to me recently. I put the wine and water inside a cardboard box and then put the cardboard box inside the cooler. I used the packing bubbles to cushion everything. Worked like a charm. The only stupid thing I did was fill the whole thing with ice after we arrived. Silly me.... I forgot to take the cardboard box out first. That was messy!
Ok now it makes sense, the cardboard would stablize it perfectly, that was the part I couldn't figure out! How funny about the box, I would totally do that. In fact, I have although usually it's a beer 6 pack paper holder lol.

Quote:
I'm glad you explained the whole process to me, because it does seem crazy that they did not filet the fish properly.
It does make me curious as to whether I could still do it

Quote:
Going without the teens was so much fun. We are now planning another teenager free trip for May!
I want one of those just no kids...teens or otherwise!

Quote:

OK....you are not going to believe this. this has never happened to me before. I just started working on an update and I LOST it! It vanished! Poof....gone......into thin air. I am so exhausted from my late night at Dorney, that I actually started to fall asleep and I must have closed my update by mistake. OK...that really stinks.
I hate that! so frustrating. I've started doing mine in a word doc that I save until I go to post, it's been working much better. Of course it means I go on and on and on...

Quote:
So when I left off, we had just left Narcoosees to hop the monorail to MK. Originally I thought we would watch Wishes from the Narcoosee's deck, but I realized that we had just enough to get over to MK before Wishes started. If you read my June 09 TR you might remember that my camera batteries died and I almost got into a fight with a woman right after I went up on the deck outside of the train station to photograph Wishes. It was not one of the highlights of my June trip.
I totally forgot about that, yikes!

Wooh...Where did Denny go?

Wait....I'm not even sure if that is Denny.

Oh, there's that crazy castle again.....

[/QUOTE]

Love the pumpkins and you've got some nice castle shots. I agree with you about point and shoot and fireworks...sad, but true.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: