Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
erinm
Earning My Ears

Boardwalk or Wilderness Lodge??

I am planning my family's Disney vacation for June 2010 and trying to decide between Boardwalk or WL. We have stayed at WL and Beach Club on past trips and preferred WL over BC. My husband wants WL but I wanted to try a new resort. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
erinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
DVC~OKW~96
I'm not big on gold as a color. As a metal...that's another story
Spreading the word is an important thing!

Between those two? No contest. WL regardless of having stayed there before.

We totally dislike BWI/V for many reasons, from the seemingly often grumpy CMs, to the hike from the parking lot to the room (over a mile depending upon your room assignment) the shabbiness of the rooms, and overall resort (it's poorly built and has numerous construction issues) the horrid clown pool, the lack of internal restaurant... LOL. Shall I go on?

Thank heaven Disney has something for everyone, eh? Keep in mind, of course there are loads of folks who really like the BW. We just aren't in that group.

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
Heather Small
DVC~OKW~96 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

I'm like you...I like to try new resorts, too. Maybe you can show him pictures of the BW. As you know, DisBoards has tons of them. My husband loves WL, also, but after showing him picture after picture of the Poly, he finally gave in and that's where we are staying in May. Good luck! Hope you get to try the BoardWalk. Would like to try it myself one day.

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL
hstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Sammie
DIS Veteran

If you stayed at the BC and liked WL better I can't imagine you will like BW. Between BC and BW, the BC to me is the better choice.

So I would stick with what you know and like.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Do what we do: switch resorts halfway through. We usually stay at Boardwalk Villas on our Epcot and MGM days. Then off to Wilderness Lodge Villas for MK, AK days, and monorail loop days.

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
Wild4Walt
DIS Veteran

I would choose WL also over BW. The lack of resturaunt inside the BW is only part of the reasons. ( If I have to go further than the lobby for a bagel it's not happenin' for me )

POR Oct 14 / POP Oct 12 / Poly Oct 12 / CBR Nov 11 / POR Oct 10 /Pop May 10/Poly Nov 09 / CBR Mar 09 / BWI - Feb 09 / BC- Oct 08 / POFQ - Feb 08 / SSR- Dec 07 / POR - Oct 07 / Poly Oct 05
Wild4Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

I haven't stayed at either, but if you have kids under 12, I think they will enjoy WL much better.

My niece (8) and nephew (5) went for a weekend at WL with their grandparents. Nana reported to me that they had a hard time dragging the kids away from the resort to go to the MK!
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:23 AM   #8
GreenTeaFrappe
Earning My Ears

Stayed at both and the BC, far more impressed with the BC than with BW (though the BW is nice, don't get me wrong), but you really can't go wrong with WL. Both have good locations, and I do think it's nice being able to walk to Epcot, but WL is wonderful, and you already know you'll like it Have you considered doing a split-stay? Perhaps starting at the BW to try it out, then moving mid-trip to WL?
GreenTeaFrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

I think both resorts are great in their own way and you can't go wrong no matter what you pick. So if you plan on spending more time at the Magic Kingdom go with the Wilderness Lodge, however if you plan on spending more time at Epcot and Hollywood Studios, go with the Boardwalk.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
snappy
Survivor
Can't even start a dead thread!
Former 5 yr old STAR on stage!

Stayed at both multiple time, love both for different reasons. Last year we visited MK on the WL days and EPCOT and HS on the BW days, just like what was posted earlier.

And here i was thinking I was genius with coming up with that plan?

Don't tell my family, I have them thinking the same.

If you don't want to split the stay , choose by season of year. WL in the cold (?) weather months and BW in the spring and summer. Better make your reservation early though.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #11
cvjw
DIS Veteran

I love all 3 resorts - we own DVC points at 2 of the 3. Both BW and WL are great resorts - I would choose based on whether I would be visiting MK more or Epcot/HS more. My boys are older, 13 and 10, so we tend to visit Epcot more, so BW would work better for us. If you plan on spending more time at MK, then WL is a better choice. I actually prefer WL's theming to BW's, but the ability to walk to Epcot and HS is priceless for my family!!! We just stayed at BW a couple of weeks ago, and were in a rehabbed room, and it was great.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:20 AM   #12
snappy
Survivor
Can't even start a dead thread!
Former 5 yr old STAR on stage!

Any pictures of the rehabbed room at BW?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
tgropp
DIS Veteran

Staying at different resorts is great. We try to do split stays. WL is my home resort and also favorite but if you stay at the Boardwalk and get a Boardwalk view, it is pretty impressive.
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
ThumperandLitenin
Feeling the Magic Since 1971

Location: South LA - North of Lake Pontchartrain, about 25 feet ABOVE sea level

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
I think both resorts are great in their own way and you can't go wrong no matter what you pick. So if you plan on spending more time at the Magic Kingdom go with the Wilderness Lodge, however if you plan on spending more time at Epcot and Hollywood Studios, go with the Boardwalk.
Good post.

As a DVC owner at both VWL and BWV, I would have to agree it's all about location to the park you plan on spending the most time in.

I LOVE WL, been staying there for over ten years. It was our first DVC purchase, and my favorite resort. Until this spring, I had never given BW a second glance.

I've stayed previously at Beach Club, and loved the access to EPCOT and DHS. I always looked down at BW as kind of gaudy and dumpy. That is until we stayed there in February.

I loved the place! The grounds are beautiful, the location superb - our son loved the proximity to ESPN Zone. Once I got past the clown, the pool was exceptionally nice.

The whole lack of restaurant issue turned out to not be an issue for us as there are plenty of dining opportunities close by, and the fact we were staying in a one bedroom with a full kitchen made quick snacks a snap.

I know I am in the minority here, but having to walk a distance is no big deal to me. In fact, I really enjoy it. I could have valet parked, but I didn't find hiking out to the car and swinging by to pick-up my wife to be a problem.

We started looking for a good BWV resale as soon as we got back, and bought one this summer.

If the location works for you, give it a try.

2009 - BWV DVC Member
2007 - VWL DVC Member
1971 - 2008 Veteran of:
Saratoga Springs
Coronado Springs
Beach Club
Wilderness Lodge (all-time Favorite!)
All-Star Music
Contemporary Resort
Dixie Landings
ThumperandLitenin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread