Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #76
YayDisney!
I See Hidden Mickey's

Your review is amazing!! Loving it!!
July 1978: childhood day trip with family; 1989: BGSU Spring Break - MK & Epcot day trips; November 2002: Old Key West; September 2004: All Star Movies; September/October 2005: POP Century; September/October 2006: POP Century; December 2007: Port Orleans Riverside; June 2008: Orlando World Center Marriott & Windsor Hills (Story Time); November 2008: POP Century; January 2009: Caribbean Beach Resort; May/June 2009: POP Century & Omni Resort; September/October 2009: Port Orleans Riverside; November 2010: Caribbean Beach Resort; June 2011: Wyndham Bonnet Creek; August 2011: Wyndham Bonnet Creek

YayDisney! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #77
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimie1911 View Post
Oooh Southernmost Cafe looks yummy especially that bread. And I LOVE the view!
I hope your wedding in Key West is wonderful! Enjoy the Southernmost Cafe - the food is yummy and the view devine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaka View Post
Great pictures!! thanks for sharing, subbing, this is a great read!
I am glad you joined us! Just one more day to review until we get to three weeks of Disney food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanieblue114 View Post
Welcome! Good to have you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I want the Pollo Pasta, grilled chicken breast, spinach and sun dried tomato with penne pasta, tossed in a Caribbean alfredo. YUM!
That was one relaxing and yummy meal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
I wish I could eat dinner every night with that view...
Me too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayDisney! View Post
Your review is amazing!! Loving it!!
Thank you! I am so happy you joined us!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #78
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Day 6, Aug 20

Breakfast at Turtle Kraals

It was time for us to leave Key West and head back to the mainland. So we loaded everything into the car and went to Key West harbour to have breakfast at Turtle Kraals.
This day we were led through the dining room we had previously been to, out onto an open seating area overlooking the harbour. Here is a photo of our view!

We both ordered our drinks - the usual, coffee for Tom and hot tea and orange juice for me.

Tom decided to try their Barbeque Hash and Eggs. A mix of their slow-smoked BBQ meats, potatoes, onion, green peppers and black beans topped with two eggs and served with toast. Having tasted their meats two days before I had to have a try and this was an excellent breakfast. All those meats mixed together with the veggies and seasoned so well - so good! Needless to say the portion was huge! Tom loved it!

I was craving a sweet breakfast, so I went for the Banana Foster French Toast. Three thick slices of French Toast topped with fresh bananas and a cinnamon and brown sugar toast. They did not lie! These were large and thick slices of yummy French toast. There were a lot of banana slices and the sauce was plenty and to die for. Just what I needed to satisfy my sweet tooth.

After our breakfast we took one last drive up and down Duval Street before we hit the road and went on our long drive back to Miami.

Next up - an early dinner at Red Lobster

TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 10-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #79
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Still day 6, Aug 20

The weather was perfect for driving along Highway 1 and crossing all those bridges. We stopped a few times and took photos and enjoyed the scenery. Once you hit the mainland the drive becomes rather boring and we arrived in the Miami area at around 3pm. Since we were starting to get hungry we decided to set our GPS on the nearest Red Lobster and head for dinner. About half an hour later we arrived at the restaurant.

We were immediately seated in a booth and handed a menu. We ordered our staples - two Diet Cokes and started to study the menu.

When the waiter brought out the drinks, he brought out some warm rolls and butter too. Needless to say we really went for those, since we were hungry.

While munching on the bread and discussing starters we remembered the size of the portions we had the year before and decided against a starter.

With our main courses we got a salat. We both ordered the Cesar salad, which was crisp with just the right amount of dressing. I just don't like those stale, hard croutons and they were all that was left on the plate when I had finished my salad.

Tom had the Admiral's Feast, Walt’s Favorite Shrimp, bay scallops, clam strips and flounder fried to a golden brown, with a baked potato as a side and some dipping sauces. Again a huge helping and everything was SO good!

I ordered the same combo I had had the year before, the Seaside Shrimp Trio, a generous sampling of Walt’s Favorite Shrimp, savory garlic shrimp scampi and shrimp linguini Alfredo. There were lots of breaded and fried shrimp with dipping sauce, which melted in your mouth. The garlic shrimp were soaking in butter and garlic and heavenly, but because of all the butter there was no way I was able to finish them. I loved the shrimp linguini Alfredo! Such a creamy and tasty sauce with loads of shrimp over slightly overcooked linguini. But nevertheless the taste was wonderful!

Once we had finished our meal we drove to our hotel, the same we had stayed at before our trip to Key West. Since their garage has no in and out privileges (and they charge 25$ per day) we decided to park the car and just go to the hotel and enjoy the rest of the evening on the balcony. We needed to be up and out of the room early the next day anyway - we wanted to arrive at Walt Disney World around midday!

Next up - lunch at Wolfgang Puck's Express

Old 10-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #80
Tarheel Tink
Cosmos mariner-destination unknown
I've shown in obedience and know the thrill you must feel
Using "robots" means I can DIS

Location: North Carolina Coast (California, Oahu, New York,Washington D.C., etc. as a military brat)

Those Red Lobster cheddar biscuits really are great! Everything looked wonderful.
I'm very eager to read your Wolfgang Puck's Express review- we are going there in 7 weeks!

Tarheel Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #81
lindsey clare
Mouseketeer

karin, you are killing me with all the amazing shrimp photos! that shrimp trio looks fabulous... a little too buttery perhaps, so i can completely understand why you couldn't finish that dish!

April 1988: Disneyland
December 1988: Disneyland
May 2008: Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo DisneySea - trip report here

November-December 2010: Walt Disney World

Last edited by lindsey clare; 10-09-2009 at 07:02 PM.
lindsey clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #82
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Tink View Post
Those Red Lobster cheddar biscuits really are great! Everything looked wonderful.
I'm very eager to read your Wolfgang Puck's Express review- we are going there in 7 weeks!
We only "discovered" Red Lobster last year and it was such a good meal - the biscuits are heavenly and their seafood is too!
Wolfgang Puck is coming right up - we LOVE it and go there OFTEN! If you check out my previous trip reports you will find lots of WPE reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey clare View Post
karin, you are killing me with all the amazing shrimp photos! that shrimp trio looks fabulous... a little too buttery perhaps, so i can completely understand why you couldn't finish that dish!
I just love shrimp and I am ashamed to say I had shrimp the next day as well. So brace yourself!

Old 10-10-2009, 02:05 AM   #83
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Day 7, Aug 21

Lunch at Wolfgang Puck's Express

We had a very early breakfast at the hotel restaurant buffet, which looked exactly like the one we had our second day. We checked out of the hotel at 8.15 and were on our way to Orlando at 8.30. It is a long boring drive and we were counting down the rest stations. We stopped once to have a drink and a cookie but we wanted to get to Walt Disney World as early as possible.
When we were about a half hours drive from WDW I called our friends Mary Ellen and Joe, who had flown in that morning if they had arrived safely. They were already waiting for us at the CBR.

No more stops and a short time later we went through the famous sign!

We picked up Mary Ellen and Joe, and went back to Caribbean Beach's Customs House to check in. I had booked both our rooms with my AP discount and we therefore needed to check in together. After picking up all our paper work, including the one for our cruise we went back to the car and drove over to DTD to enjoy our first lunch together.

When we arrived the place was packed and there was even a long line to order your food. We have never had that happen before! But the line moved fast and we quickly were able to order our first DDP CS!

We both have favourites there and are longing for them all year round, so when we got there we HAD TO order those favourites.

Tom ordered his all time favourite - the Rotisserie BBQ Beef, Fire-Roasted Focaccia Melt - Slices of house-roasted Niman Ranch rotisserie beef, sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions and Wolfgang's signature BBQ sauce, topped with mozzarella, rolled in warm, all-natural garlic focaccia bread, served with homemade chips and some green leaves.
I tried it and it was as good as we remembered it. The beef is so tender and the taste of it together with the other components is just amazing.

Mary Ellen had ordered the Roasted Chicken and Mash, but she had dug into it before I was able to take a picture.

Joe had the Pepperoni and Mushroom Pizza - mozzarella and Grana Padano Parmesan with tomato-basil garlic sauce, which he loved.

I always love the Four Cheese Pesto Pizza - creamy goat cheese, mozzarella, fontina and Parmesan with Roma tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic-basil pesto sauce and sun dried tomatoes, so this is what I had. It is a rather heavy pizza with all that cheese, but it is just SO good. I was so happy I was so hungry and I nearly finished off the whole pizza. But I had to save room for dessert.

Joe and Mary Ellen had gotten a fruit cup and a cookie, but there is only one thing Tom and I order when we go there. Don't get me wrong, we have tried them all, their cookies are freshly made and really yummy, the brownie is chewy, moist and yummy and the frozen yoghurt with toppings is so good too, but I love ....................

their Creme Brulee! It is so silky and creamy and always perfect. I very often order Creme Brulee, but this is by far my favourite!

Was the DDP worth it?
Paid for DDP (2 people, 2 nights) $ 160,-
WPE $ 41, 70
$ 160 - $ 41, 70 = $ 118,30

Next up - Ghirardelli ice-cream sundaes

Last edited by dizneeat; 01-09-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #84
Tarheel Tink
Cosmos mariner-destination unknown
I've shown in obedience and know the thrill you must feel
Using "robots" means I can DIS

Location: North Carolina Coast (California, Oahu, New York,Washington D.C., etc. as a military brat)

Tom's rotisserie BBQ beef meal! OMG! That immediately got added to my list! Great photos!

Tarheel Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #85
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Tink View Post
Tom's rotisserie BBQ beef meal! OMG! That immediately got added to my list! Great photos!
I am trying to do my best with the photos, unfortunately they don't always turn out well!

Old 10-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #86
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Still day 7, Aug 21

After our lunch we went to check out DTD and waited for our phone calls from Disney that our rooms would be ready.
Mary Ellen and Joe were waiting for their CM friend who was giving them tickets for the parks for the next day and Tom and I needed to renew our APs.
When we came back from Guest relations Kryss (the CM) had joined Mary Ellen and Joe and we decided to have an ice-cream sundae at Ghirardelli's.

Kryss and Joe dug into their ice-cream before I could even reach for my camera but Mary Ellen let me take a photo of her sundae.

She had the Haight AshBerry - Very Berry Sundae - strawberry cheesecake ice cream smothered with sliced strawberries under a layer of blueberry cheesecake ice cream, blueberry topping, whipped cream, our chocolate-covered blueberries and a chocolate dipped waffle roll. Well, what can I say - it must have been good - she finished it!!

Tom and I were still stuffed from lunch, so we decided to share a sundae.

We had The Gold Rush - Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Sundae - Vanilla ice cream with hot fudge and melted peanut better throughout. Topped with whipped cream, roasted peanut halves, cherry and Ghirardelli Squares milk chocolate. I have lately developed my love for all things peanut butter, so this was just up my alley. But beware this thing is huge! The two of us had trouble finishing it, even though we both loved it!

We paid OOP for that, so no DDP calculation.

Next up - dinner at Kona Cafe.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:27 AM   #87
SurfinTX
DIS Veteran

That Strawberry Cheescake sundae...that will be my precious. Good to see you have made it to Orlando with little to no fuss.
SurfinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:33 AM   #88
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinTX View Post
That Strawberry Cheescake sundae...that will be my precious. Good to see you have made it to Orlando with little to no fuss.
Now, let's go and eat some more!

Last edited by dizneeat; 10-11-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:42 AM   #89
wdwfanatic316
Mouseketeer

Love your reviews! Can't wait for more!
Old 10-11-2009, 02:46 AM   #90
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfanatic316 View Post
Love your reviews! Can't wait for more!
I am so glad you like them! Just working on the next installment, should be up real soon!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: