Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #46
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

I've enjoyed your previous reviews and am so happy to see the next one started (can you make it last until October 22nd when I leave for Disney - then I have a treat everyday until we leave ).

While I think your taste in food is generally awesome (Bubba Gump shrimp, WP Express, etc) I just have never got the whole "Krispy Kreme" thing When they were at the height of their popularity, we drove to Buffalo and tried them (when they were hot and fresh). Going down they tasted great but oh, what a gut ache afterwards! I thought the doughnut was going to break out of my stomach like in the Alien movies! I don't know if it's cause we're wussy Canadians and just aren't used to that much fat and sugar in our doughnuts or what.

Course, my parents used to own a bakery and my dad used to hand fry his own donuts so I guess I was spoiled growing up and just can't get the same thrill out of a mass produced bakery product.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #47
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey clare View Post
awesome reviews! i have just discovered the dining reviews area of the boards and i am loving it
I am happy you are here and enjoying the reviews!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink6137130 View Post
Love your review! Thanks for sharing
Thank you so much for your kind words! I am glad I found some readers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
I've enjoyed your previous reviews and am so happy to see the next one started (can you make it last until October 22nd when I leave for Disney - then I have a treat everyday until we leave ).
Glad you joined us! I am sure I can make it last until Oct 22nd, we ate A LOT during that vacation!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #48
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Still day 4, Aug 18

Refreshing drinks

Our tour made a break at Mallory Square and after a little exploring on our own we decided to get a drink before hopping on the trolley again.

Pina Colada Slushie - Tom had that and we were both not all that impressed with it. Very sweet.

I had another Keylimeade, very tart on first sip, but it grows on you and tastes sweeter the more you drink. Does that make sense ?

Next up - dinner at Turtle Kraal
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 10-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #49
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Still day 4, Aug 18

Dinner at Turtle Kraals

Towards the end of our sightseeing tour it had started to rain and we had gone back to the resort. Once it cleared up again we decided to have an early dinner instead of doing the last two stops of the tour.
As with the Outback Steakhouse I had done some internet research and the menu at Turtle Kraals and its reviews sounded promising. So we hopped in the car and went to Key West harbour. We entered, looked around and there was the waitress, so we decided to stay and were seated right away. We both ordered Diet Cokes and started to study the menu.

The Lobster Rolls with sweet chili sauce we ordered as a starter was recommended by the waitress. The Rolls were full of lobster in a crispy fried wrapping and went VERY well with the sweet chili sauce.

Next came the main courses

Tom ordered the BBQ Pork Platter, slowly wood-smoked until mouth watering tender, then chopped and stacked high. All BBQ dishes come with Fries, coleslaw and cornbread and baked beans. This was such a huge portion and it was as mouth watering tender and tasty as the menu promised. So good!!

They served an assortment of sauces to go with the meats!

I thought I should try the BBQ Beef Brisket Platter, expertly seasoned and slowly wood smoked for 14 hours or until it absolutely melts in your mouth. It came with the same sides as Tom's and it was an equally huge serving! Let me be honest - that brisket was devine! So well seasoned and you could cut through it with your fork. Oh my heaven on earth.

Since the platters were so huge we skipped dessert and went back to the resort for a little rest.

Next up - Key Lime Pie factory for more treats.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #50
Ciciwoowoo
we would both run like heck to get home before the ghosts got us!

Oh goodness, everything looks good!

We are talking about going to Key West for our honeymoon too. It looks lovely!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #51
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I really want to go to Key West, I'm living vicariously, ok?
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #52
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciciwoowoo View Post
Oh goodness, everything looks good!

We are talking about going to Key West for our honeymoon too. It looks lovely!
Key West is wonderful!! And the food we had was just fantastic! It was a very relaxing start ot our vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
I really want to go to Key West, I'm living vicariously, ok?
Key West rocks!! Only downside - too far from WDW

Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #53
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

......... and still day 4, Aug 18

Key Lime Pie Factory

After we had spent some time on our balcony again we set out for another trip to Mallory Square. I wanted to have a look at some T-shirts and maybe have another sweet snack.

After some windowshopping we made it to the Key Lime Pie Factory. Tom still didn't want anything but a drink, but I had my heart set on a Key West Original!

A Key Lime Pie on a stick! It's a piece of frozen Key Lime Pie dipped into chocolate. It comes on a little plastic stick so you can eat it like popsicle. I had one last year and was so looking forward to having one again. There is the tart Key Lime filling and the crisp crust all coming to life in your mouth after you "crack" that chocolate shell. It's just wonderful, but very messy to eat.

Tom had a Key Lime Lemonade, which was quite nice and cold, but a bit on the sweet side.

We picked up a piece of Key Lime Pie as well, which we took home with us and I snacked on it over the next two days. It was a very nice treat and the meringue was soft and gooey inside and crisp outside. It was also very sweet, but when eaten together with the tart cake it was really nice.

Next up - Breakfast at Sarabeth's

Old 10-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #54
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
......... and still day 4, Aug 18

Key Lime Pie Factory

After we had spent some time on our balcony again we set out for another trip to Mallory Square. I wanted to have a look at some T-shirts and maybe have another sweet snack.

After some windowshopping we made it to the Key Lime Pie Factory. Tom still didn't want anything but a drink, but I had my heart set on a Key West Original!

A Key Lime Pie on a stick! It's a piece of frozen Key Lime Pie dipped into chocolate. It comes on a little plastic stick so you can eat it like popsicle. I had one last year and was so looking forward to having one again. There is the tart Key Lime filling and the crisp crust all coming to life in your mouth after you "crack" that chocolate shell. It's just wonderful, but very messy to eat.

Tom had a Key Lime Lemonade, which was quite nice and cold, but a bit on the sweet side.

We picked up a piece of Key Lime Pie as well, which we took home with us and I snacked on it over the next two days. It was a very nice treat and the meringue was soft and gooey inside and crisp outside. It was also very sweet, but when eaten together with the tart cake it was really nice.

Next up - Breakfast at Sarabeth's
Oh, oh! I'm going to be in BIG trouble with Mark. A friend here on the DIS suggested if we wanted that we take the Key West Express; we got lazy in Marco Island and never did it. If Mark finds out about the KEY LIME PIE FACTORY he is goinjg to be very upset with me that we didn't go. So just between us...I'm not going to show him this portion of your reviews.
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #55
Tarheel Tink
Cosmos mariner-destination unknown
I've shown in obedience and know the thrill you must feel
Using "robots" means I can DIS

Location: North Carolina Coast (California, Oahu, New York,Washington D.C., etc. as a military brat)

The Blonde Giraffe! OMG! I saw that reviewed 2 different times on the Food Channel and then sent some friends to try it out when they were in Key West. They couldn't stop going back- the very unique crust did it for them. They brought me back some incredible Key Lime cookies that seemed to have white chocolate in them- addictive!
Thanks so much for a photo of the illusive key lime bar.

Tarheel Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #56
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

30 days, I am so jealous.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #57
Jaimie1911
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post

Congratulations on getting married!!

You are so going to love the Southernmost on the Beach!! We could not get an oceanfront room in the first place, so we were actually booked at the Reach Resort. Then, a few weeks before our vacation the oceanfront room opened up and we just cancelled the Reach Resort and booked Southernmost! We were SO GLAD we did!
The room was brand new and so spacious! The service is wonderful and the view is incredible! The staff is SO friendly!!!!!!
As for food - the Southernmost Cafe on the beach is just wonderful. It's open on three sides and the view of the ocean is fantastic and so is the food !
Review of our Southernmost Cafe breakfast is coming up right now!
Thank you!!! We just booked the new oceanview room and I am wondering whether to upgrade to the ocean front. Anyway, the key lime pie on a stick looks amazing, I MUST try that Keep up the great reviews!

1987 1991--offsite 1993--CBR
1995 1996 1998 2002 2005--POR (Dixie Landings)
2008--CBR 2009--AKL honeymoon
2010--Pop 2011--POFQ
Jaimie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #58
NuttyDisneyMom
Born and raised in WDW for 23 years:) Now we visit as often as possible!

Sounds fabulous! I'm in!
NuttyDisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:44 AM   #59
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Oh, oh! I'm going to be in BIG trouble with Mark. A friend here on the DIS suggested if we wanted that we take the Key West Express; we got lazy in Marco Island and never did it. If Mark finds out about the KEY LIME PIE FACTORY he is goinjg to be very upset with me that we didn't go. So just between us...I'm not going to show him this portion of your reviews.
Just another reason to go back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Tink View Post
The Blonde Giraffe! OMG! I saw that reviewed 2 different times on the Food Channel and then sent some friends to try it out when they were in Key West. They couldn't stop going back- the very unique crust did it for them. They brought me back some incredible Key Lime cookies that seemed to have white chocolate in them- addictive!
Thanks so much for a photo of the illusive key lime bar.
I never knew The Blonde Giraffe was famous!!! I knew they were selling the Key Lime Pie on a stick and that's what we wanted! Would we have stayed longer we would have definitely gone back there again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
30 days, I am so jealous.
Welcome and I hope you like it here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimie1911 View Post
Thank you!!! We just booked the new oceanview room and I am wondering whether to upgrade to the ocean front. Anyway, the key lime pie on a stick looks amazing, I MUST try that Keep up the great reviews!
I can only recommend the oceanfront rooms! They are fantastic and I think they are larger than the oceanfview ones too, but I could be mistaken,
You can get the Key Lime Pie on a stick at many locations - it is just so good, just a little messy to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyDisneyMom View Post
Sounds fabulous! I'm in!
Welcome!

Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 AM   #60
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Day 5, Aug 19

Breakfast at Sarabeth's

We wanted to try several options for breakfast and dinner so as always I had done some research on the net and Sarabeth's got rave reviews. So before going back to the resort we checked out where it was and it looked intrigueing. Now this morning we drove there, fed the meter and walked over to the restaurant, which is actually situated inside a former church!

We were met outside and welcomed and a very nice lady walked us to our table. It was a really small room and very cosy!

The server asked about drink orders and handed us the menu before she went off to get our drinks.
Tom had some coffee and I had some hot tea and orange juice.

Really good tea and juice.

I had already decided back home that if the Green And White, scrambled eggs with scallions and cream cheese was on the menu, that was what I was going to have. It WAS on the menu, so this was what I got and we both ordered a side of 3 Pepper Potatoes. It came with buttered toast and a helping of Sarabeth's Strawberry and Rhubarb jam. I had never imagined that eggs paired with cream cheese could taste so nice. The eggs were silky and not dry at all and the spring onions and cream cheese gave it a really fresh taste.
The jam is devine! It tastes like "old fashioned" jam we were used to when we were kids. So wonderful.

Tom had decided to try the Key West Pink Shrimp and Bacon Omelet with scallions, and herbs, and smoked mozzarella. We had heard so much about the Key West Pink Shrimp and there was the perfect opportunity to try them. Well, I have to say that this was an equally delicious dish. The pink shrimp were sweet and juicy, the omlet really fluffy and light. I tried a bite and it was really yummy!
We did both clean our plates and even though I had been stuffed after my cream cheese scrambled eggs I managed to fit both pieces of toast and jam in!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: