Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_princess_85 View Post
Sounds great, I'm in!
I am glad you are here! I'll try my best not to disappoint you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Yay Karin! You started! I am so excited for this review!
Hey girlie! How are you doing today! Did you make it to Kouzzina?
I am honoured you joined the party!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalielongstaff View Post
oooh ive a feelin this is gonna be good
Hi! Glad you joined us too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh&OurHunny View Post
joining in and can't wait...
First servings coming right up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janloz View Post
i'm in!
It's good to have you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Karin, I'm here. Bring on the food!
I am SO happy to see you here! Loads of food photos uploaded and coming up in a few more minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTalula View Post
30 days!!! WOW I can't wait for the reviews!!
Great to have you here! Reviews starting right now!!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #17
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Caution! I am Austrian - English is NOT my first language, so there WILL be mistakes! Please forgive me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, now let's go!!!

Since there was a request for our pre-Disney food adventures I am going to review them, but I'll just try to make it short, so we VERY soon can move on to some real Disney food!

Day 1, Aug 15

Well, let me start with the most boring food of them all - airplane food!

Our flight from Linz to Frankfurt takes about 55 minutes and this is what they fed us - "Americans" how appropriate! A rather soft cookie with hard icing.

After a 2 hour layover we got on our plane to Miami! Now, if anyone ever decides to travel on German carrier Lufthansa - this is what they might feed you!

Pretzel Mix - Austrian, therefore very good!

Lunch tray

Salad and lemon cream dessert, the salad was unbelieveably fresh for airplane food and the dessert was very sweet with a slight lemony taste - Tom didn't even try it and I did not finish it!

Salad dressing, butter and cheese - regular stuff

We both had the same main dish - sweet and sour chicken with white rice. Actually we were pleasantly surprised. The chicken war tender and the sauce really well seasoned. Well done for airplane food!

Closeup of the lemon cream dessert

After sleeping for a few hours (with the help of a Walgreen's sleeping aid ) this is what we were woken for:

Another lunch tray (6 hour time difference!)

The pasta dish did not impress much - slightly overcooked and dry at the edges pasta, but the sauce was well seasoned and nice

Dinner roll - unfortunately served cold and dry, came with butter and some hard and dry cheese

Dessert was fruit yoghurt - regular stuff!

TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Still Day 1, Aug 15

Bubba Gump at Bayside Marketplace

Once we landed we made our way through immigration, luggage retrieval and customs and picked up our rental car. Once assigned a car we walked outside and were greated by

a Florida DOWNPOUR!! Welcome to sunny Florida!!

We made it to the hotel, dropped the luggage in the room and off we went to START OFF our vacation with a dinner at Bubba Gump at Bayside Marketplace. They actually offer mainly the same food at all their locations, but since there is NOTHING like it here in Austria, we just LOVE to eat there.

My all time favourite drink at Bubba Gump - Strawberry Speckled Lemonade - tart lemonade with the sweetness of strawberries in syrup - YUM!
Oh, Tom had a Diet Coke!

We were hungry so we decided to share a starter. One we had not tried before.

Dynamite Shrimp - Succulent popcorn shrimp with a sweet glaze and a special blend of Thai spices. The shrimp were juicy and the pop corn coating (guess the coating was popped amaranth) just gave it that right amount of crunch. It came with a coating of sweet glaze that had quite a kick to it. You started chewing and it would suddenly hit you - hot, but not too hot. The sauce even mixed so well with the chopped cabbage the shrimp sat on. We did not leave one single crumb of this heavenly starter.

For main courses we both decided on old favourites.

Tom had the Bourbon Street Mahi Mahi. Charbroiled Cajun spiced Mahi Mahi with Bourbon Sauce and grilled Shrimp, served over Mashed Potato. Needless to say I tried a bite and it was wonderful. Moist, tender fish that blended well with the sauce and tasty grilled shrimp. I didn't taste the mash, but Tom was in for a clean plate sticker, so it must have been good!

This is my all time favourite, which you might see once or twice again Dumb Luck Coconut Shrimp served with Cajun Marmalade and Fries. The shrimp are so big and succulent and they go so well with the slightly sweet taste of the coconut coating. It is served with sweet Cajun Marmelade, fries and coleslaw, which was not as sweet as I remembered it from last year. I finished off my plate as well - yip I was really hungry!

After our dinner we went to Publix and stocked up on essentials - drinks, Oreo cookies, Doritos and salsa - the taste of snacks in America before we went back to the hotel for a very early night.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Day 2, Aug 16

Breakfast at the hotel buffet (BW Atlantic Beach Resort)

The hotel restaurant offers a buffet breakfast - nothing to compare to WDW, but it fills your stomach.

My plate, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon and breakfast potatoes. The eggs lacked salt, the sausage was ...... well, sausage, the bacon was crisp and the potatoes really good!

Tom's plate - with exactly the same items, he just had a lot of ketchup to go with it.

What looks like toast actually is French Toast. A bit on the dry side, but drenched in syrup it was quite nice.

Next up - more Bubba Gump

Old 10-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Great start Karin! WOW that Mahi Mahi at Bubba Gump's looks incredible!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #21
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
Great start Karin! WOW that Mahi Mahi at Bubba Gump's looks incredible!
Thank you! That Mahi Mahi tasted as incredible as it looked - really finger licking good!

Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #22
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Awesome start. I'm getting hungry.
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #23
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Awesome start. I'm getting hungry.
Oh, you better wait for the really GOOD stuff ! I just uploaded some of our cruise photos - Palo dinners and Palo brunch buffet! Made me SO hungry too and I just had dinner!

Old 10-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #24
Tarheel Tink
Cosmos mariner-destination unknown
I've shown in obedience and know the thrill you must feel
Using "robots" means I can DIS

Location: North Carolina Coast (California, Oahu, New York,Washington D.C., etc. as a military brat)

I could almost taste your shrimp from Bubba Gumps! Subscribing with glee; I followed your last trip report and gained weight from it!

Tarheel Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #25
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Tink View Post
I could almost taste your shrimp from Bubba Gumps! Subscribing with glee; I followed your last trip report and gained weight from it!
I am glad you are here! Hope you'll enjoy this report as much as my last one! Lots of yummy food to review and A LOT of photos to come!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #26
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Still day 2, Aug 16

Lunch at Bubba Gump (yip, ate there again already! )

We spent the morning taking a sightseeing tour in Miami. There was a 1 1/2 hour lunch break at the Bayside Marketplace before the boat tour in the afternoon, so since we had enjoyed dinner the day before so much we went to have lunch at Bubba Gump.

Remember this? Yes, I had another one of their Strawberry Speckled Lemonades. It is just SO good!

We skipped the starters this time and went straight for the main courses!

I love their shrimp, so I got Mama Blue's Southern Charmed Fried Shrimp with hot and crispy Fries Tartar Sauce and Cocktail Sauce for dippin' and some coleslaw. How can you not like crispy fried, tender and juicy shrimp dipped in sauces? It was yummy. But there were so many shrimp I was not able to finish it!

Tom had a feast too! He ordered Shrimper's Heaven! Love Shrimp? This one's for you! Coconut Shrimp, Chilly Shrimp, Fried Shrimp, Tempura Shrimp, Fries, and of course Dippin' Sauces and coleslaw! Unbelieveably good but a HUGE portion! I think he left one or two shrimp too!

We skipped dessert and got in line for our sightseeing tour by boat.

Next up - Krispy Kreme (as if you would not know what it looks like )

Old 10-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #27
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Still day 2, Aug 16

After our boat tour we went back to the hotel to relax for a while, then we decided to do some shopping and were looking for a mall. We found one, but it was quite a way away. After our shopping was done, we discussed what we would have for dinner while we were driving back. It was nearly dark by now and suddenly a lit sign hit my eye! HOT NOW!! Oh my god, we had just passed a Krispy Kreme location!!
We made a u-turn at the next intersection and went back, and dinner plans were final.
We bought a dozen doughnuts and a large diet coke to share and sat there in the shop watching the doughnuts run off the production belt and munching our still hot, ooey, gooey, soft and yummy, sweet, little, round delights!

Once back at the hotel we just had an early night (those 6 hours time difference were still bugging me) and we had a long drive to Key West ahead of us as well.

Next up - dinner at Outback Steakhouse in Key West

Old 10-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #28
Tarheel Tink
Cosmos mariner-destination unknown
I've shown in obedience and know the thrill you must feel
Using "robots" means I can DIS

Location: North Carolina Coast (California, Oahu, New York,Washington D.C., etc. as a military brat)

Krispy Kreme! Fresh and hot!!

Tarheel Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #29
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Tink View Post
Krispy Kreme! Fresh and hot!!
Now that's my kind of girl!!

Old 10-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #30
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Oh....my. Krispy Kreme! They closed all the ones by us and I miss them so much. I could just grab one off the screen and have myself a piece of heaven.
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: