Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #136
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Still day 11, Aug 25

A day at Castaway Cay!
Serenity Bay - drinks and lunch

So, here we were - setting foot onto Disney's Private Island. Just let me say, it is BEAUTIFUL!

Since Tom and I got off the Wonder early it was not too blazing hot for us to explore the island. We checked out the Family Beach, the She Sells Sea Shells store and finally decided to head out to Serenity Bay.
(Side note - Tom and I are both NOT beach people! So all we wanted to do was go to Serenity Bay, stick our toes into the ocean and head back to do some shopping, check out the Pirate ship and go back to the Wonder - this is what we HAD PLANNED)
You need to take a tram to Serenity Bay and once we arrived we were greeted by a member of the group we were travelling with, Moley! She had headed out to the beach to grab a few beach chairs for our group. Yip, there is NO reserving chairs, but as long as there is no one wanting to have them .......! Soon after Tom and I had arrived the rest of the group started arriving. Well, here is an impression of what we were in for!

www.magicaldisneytrips.com/beach

This is a 360° photo, so be sure to view it ALL the way! And yes, the water IS that colour and it is crystal clear ALL the way.

So, we took a dip into the ocean and we LOVED it - we spent ALL day out there on the beach!!!!!!!

Now, back to drinks and lunch!

They are actually serving out there on the beach!

So, here is what we started out with!

Captain's Mai Tai, Captain Morgan original spiced rum, amaretto, and pineapple juice topped with a float of Myers's Original dark rum.
That was Tom's drink - really good, but a tad bit strong for my taste - he loved it!

Pina CoLAVA, Bacardi Razz rum blended with pina colada mix and raspberry puree
My drink - sweet, thick and yummy, you cannot taste the alcohol, just right for me - you will "FEEL" the alcohol lateron

We sat there sipping our drinks and watching members of our group enjoying the waters.

Shortly after we had finished our first set of drinks Claudia was on hand to deliver some more. Here she is!

And here is what she delivered!

Tropical Depression, Light rum, vodka, gin and blue curacao mixed with grenadine, sprite, and a splash of sweet-and-sour. That was Tom's second drink. I tasted it and it definitely tasted too much of alcohol for me.

This is my all time Castaway Cay favourite!

Konch Kooler, Myers's Original Dark Rum, Bacardi Rum, and pina colada mix mixed with our orange passion guava blend! That was such a wonderful drink - I definitely will have a few more next August!

They even come with a "bubble" Hidden Mickey!

By then they had set up a barbeque at the bar behind our spot and at around 1.30pm we decided to grab a bite as well.

Tom had some "roast beef" and some BBQ Pork Ribs. There was a salad bar and he had some creamy potato salad, some cucumber - olive salad and some coleslaw with it. It was really good stuff! Such a shame it comes on paper plates!

I had the Grilled Mahi Mahi Sandwich, again with some salad, tomato and creamy potato salad. The sandwich was really nice. Well spiced Mahi Mahi, a bit on the dry side, but who really cares in that surrounding. I LOVED the potato salad, creamy and not too sweet - and finally tomato which actually tasted like tomato.
The barbeque area was not crowded at all and there were really only a few people at Serenity Bay!

We left Serenity Bay around 2.30pm and took the tram back to the shop and Family Beach.

We were back on board the Wonder by 3.30pm.

That day was Pirate's Night, so we took a shower and relaxed on the balcony for a while until it was time for .......

Pirate Dinner at Animator's Palette
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #137
collinsma
Earning My Ears

Wow! What a great trip..
collinsma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #138
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsma View Post
Wow! What a great trip..
It really WAS a wonderful trip!
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 10-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #139
slk537
Sigh...other than WDW, if I could actually live anywhere else, it would be at our SuperTarget
I can't sleep with the tag on top
I guess I have comforter issues!

Loooove the updates Karin!! We are considering a short cruise (can't resist the "free child" deal!) or Universal on our next trip and your photos and reviews make dcl SO tempting!

My recommendations for CS places we enjoy:

WPE (but you know about this one already! ) ****
Captain Cooks breakfast - almost as good as Kona!
Pepper Market - everything is cooked fresh to order and we've been really impressed. It's like a TS restaurant for a CS credit
The Mara - some interesting items there with the African theme and can't beat the view of the pool
Roaring Fork - good food with a gorgeous resort to visit
Sunshine Seasons

Can you tell we (mostly!) like the resort CS places more than the parks?

I would like to second (or third or fourth) Beaches and Cream and Cape May Cafe. And while you're in that neighborhood, you have to get something from the Boardwalk Bakery. Divine...

And Jiko?

Congratulation on the added trip and HAPPY PLANNING!!!

****I wanted to add that we tried WPE on our last day for breakfast based on your reviews and OH MY GOSH! It was the sleeper hit of our trip. We are thinking about driving up to the Mall of America tomorrow and I might have us go just a mite early to have breakfast there again. So GOOD! (unfortunately the MOA WPE has a much smaller menu than DTD, but it scratches the itch!)

Last edited by slk537; 10-24-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: had to add something about WPE!
slk537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #140
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

I loved your pics and trip report! We are heading out to WDW on November 16th and back on the Wonder November 19th. For sure this time I am dropping off the kids and heading to Serenity Bay! It looks awesome! We pretty much stuck to the Family Beach on Castaway last time. A question for you? How much was the "Kitchen SinK?" at Beaches and Cream? It looks delicious!

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #141
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slk537 View Post
Loooove the updates Karin!! We are considering a short cruise (can't resist the "free child" deal!) or Universal on our next trip and your photos and reviews make dcl SO tempting!

My recommendations for CS places we enjoy:

WPE (but you know about this one already! ) ****
Captain Cooks breakfast - almost as good as Kona!
Pepper Market - everything is cooked fresh to order and we've been really impressed. It's like a TS restaurant for a CS credit
The Mara - some interesting items there with the African theme and can't beat the view of the pool
Roaring Fork - good food with a gorgeous resort to visit
Sunshine Seasons

Can you tell we (mostly!) like the resort CS places more than the parks?

I would like to second (or third or fourth) Beaches and Cream and Cape May Cafe. And while you're in that neighborhood, you have to get something from the Boardwalk Bakery. Divine...

And Jiko?

Congratulation on the added trip and HAPPY PLANNING!!!

****I wanted to add that we tried WPE on our last day for breakfast based on your reviews and OH MY GOSH! It was the sleeper hit of our trip. We are thinking about driving up to the Mall of America tomorrow and I might have us go just a mite early to have breakfast there again. So GOOD! (unfortunately the MOA WPE has a much smaller menu than DTD, but it scratches the itch!)
Do DCL next trip - MUCH better than UO !! Seriously, I never thought I would LOVE the cruise part as much as I did! It was really wonderful! Go for a 4night cruise - and don't bother with Nassau - we were SO disappointed, Should have stayed on board!

Thanks for the CS recommendations! We won't do DDP next trip, so we can check out whatever we want and not have to "worry" about spending all my credits
We love Mara and I wanted to try Captain Cooks the last two trips and we never made it there
I never thought about Pepper Market and Roaring Fork - thanks for the hint

We have been to Beaches and Cream SO many times, but always for ice-cream - guess this time we will have to eat there - so many people recommending it - it must be amazing!

And I so envy you because you will get to eat at WPE at MOA! I wish I didn't live that far from my fellow Austrian, Wolfgang!

As for Jiko - we are upgrading part of our free DDP to DxDDP next summer and we want to do all the 2 credit restaurants. We had to cancel Jiko last August - I had to go and wave goodbye to MY cruise ship, so we drove all the way to Port Canaveral to say goodbye to the Wonder as it sailed out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkmom2 View Post
I loved your pics and trip report! We are heading out to WDW on November 16th and back on the Wonder November 19th. For sure this time I am dropping off the kids and heading to Serenity Bay! It looks awesome! We pretty much stuck to the Family Beach on Castaway last time. A question for you? How much was the "Kitchen SinK?" at Beaches and Cream? It looks delicious!
I am glad you like it! Be sure to check out Serenity Bay! It is wonderful!! We are going on a back to back cruise next summer, so we can spend two days there.
The Kitchen Sink is 22$ before tax (if I remember correctly), but it is SO worth it. The lights flicker and the server is announcing it to the whole restaurant - that alone is worth it,
Last time there were 6 of us and we all loved it. Apart from the ice-cream there are so many treats - candy bars, cookies, brownies, angel ? cake (don't know the correct name of it) and SO many cherries!

Old 10-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #142
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

........... and still day 11, Aug 25

Pirate Dinner night at Animator's Palette

Tonight was Pirate Night and guests are encouraged to dress accordingly! Well, there were a few who REALLY got into it and had absolutely WOW costumes. Tom and I are not very good at dressing up for such an occasion, but we wanted to "blend in".
So here we are on pirate night!

Once we entered the dining room every server was wearing a pirate costume and it looked like it was going to be a fun night. Most of the people from our group had some kind of pirate attire or other and even my little pal was dressed accordingly! He kept a good grip on the menu!

Tom and I both ordered some Diet Coke and needless to say we needed a speciality cocktail as well.

Captain's Treasure, Absolute Mandarin, Peach Schnapps and Orange Juice. I really liked this but boy could I feel the alcohol in it! Hm, now that I think of it, could it have been that I was feeling the alcohol of ALL the drinks I had had that night?

They started the meal with the bread service, Johnny Cake. Not quite my taste - we don't have anything like it in Austria.

There was a Pigeon Pea Relish to go with it. We all tried it, but it was rather bland and no one really liked it.

I chose "Black Beard's Jumbo Crab Cake" with a Golden Raisin-, Carrot and Coconut Slaw served with a spicy Calypso Dressing. That was a really nice starter! The crab cake was huge and very moist and tasty!

Tom had Pirates Golden "Pot Stickers", Oriental Pork "Dumplings" deep fried and served with a Tamarind-Ginger soy sauce and Pickled Vegetables. Very good as well. He really enjoyed it.

Joe had ordered the Caribbean-style Conch Chowder with sherry, sweet peppers, onions, tomatoes, thyme, and garnished with diced potatoes and crispy bacon bits. He was happy with it too!

Mary Ellen had the Jerk Chicken Salad, jerk seasoned chicken strip over fresh crispy greens with a citrus dressing and plantain chips. She was the only one that did not enjoy her starter very much. There was quite some cilantro in her salad/dressing and it was a really unusual taste.

Let's bring on the main courses!

My "seat neighbour", from the TagGroup, let me take a photo of her entree. Jack Sparrow’s Barbecue Marinated Beef Short Ribs, Rubbed beef short ribs with tamarind-barbecue sauce served with onion red bliss mashed potatoes and plantain chip. She was full of praise for it!

I had The Dutchmen's Roasted Dijon-Crusted Sirloin of Beef, Thick cut of beef with roasted sweet potatoes and a black spot tomato with a deep red wine glaze. I loved the sweet potatoes, crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside, the tomatoes were yummy, but the beef was as tough as old boots. I didn't even make a dent in it.

Tom tried Captain Hook’s Macadamia Nut-Dusted Mahi Mahi, Jasmine rice and sauteed pineapple on a mild curry sauce. This was very yummy and he cleaned his plate.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #143
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

........... and still day 11, Aug 25, part 2

After we had eaten our main course they had a little Pirate FEST in the dining room!

Here's a photo of our head waiter, Miguel!

Next up were the desserts.

I had opted for the Pirates of the Caribbean's Sweet Temptation, A trio of Shiver-me-Timbers white chocolate cheesecake , rum barbossa, walk the triple layered chocolate gangplank cake

Rum barbossa, very dense cake with little flavour, I have had better.

Walk the triple layered chocolate gangplank cake. Very rich chocolate cake - good!! but I was happy this was only a small piece - I got full of it quite soon.

Shiver-me-Timbers white chocolate cheesecake. Sickingly sweet cheesecake. I had a bite or two, but could not manage any more - that was just too sweet for me!

Mary Ellen had the "original" version of it. She did say it was very sweet too, but she ADORES cheesecake and managed to finish it!

Tom had the "original" version of the Rum Barbossa, Captain Barbossa's own recipe of the famous dessert rum baba. It looked totally different to what I had and it did taste different too. Tom quite enjoyed his dessert, so next time I won't have any more dessert samplers

After dinner we went to the Pirates IN the Caribbean Party.

Needless to say that brave Captain Mickey came to save the day, or night!

The evening ended with .................

FIREWORKS!!!!!!!!!!!! Now this is something only Disney does and you can tell ....... there were cruiseships "parked" all around the Wonder watching OUR fireworks!
Needless to say they were amazing. There was even a dessert party lateron, but we were too stuffed and tired to go to it, so I will have to review that next year

It was a wonderful, wonderful day!

Next up - Brunch at Palo!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #145
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
I think Disney needs to hire you as the spokeswoman for the cruises...just from your reviews I want to go on one!
Me too. I've thought it off and on over the years, but never seriously, and it just sounds and looks great.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #146
jeminni
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

Your cruise looks wonderful. One question though, do you think you could go on one as a solo? My next trips will probably be solo as my husband doesnt do disney.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:55 PM   #147
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

Hi! OMG I love your reviews!!! What an amazing trip!!
Lynn5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #148
wilderness gal
An official "Disney" Freak; "does anyone have change for a dollar 292"?

looks like ya'll had some more natur AL fun

WOW great reviews !!!

DS is a Proud member of the "Spirit of Northwestern Marching Band"
Northwestern State University, Natchitoches, LA / Trumpet Section Leader

Fork Em' Demons
wilderness gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:04 AM   #149
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
I think Disney needs to hire you as the spokeswoman for the cruises...just from your reviews I want to go on one!
I will gladly accept their offer!
But seriously we both never expected to like it that much! We thought this would be a once in a lifetime experience, and look at me now, sitting here staring at my ticker until I can go on a cruise again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Me too. I've thought it off and on over the years, but never seriously, and it just sounds and looks great.
It IS a great experience! I was so afraid I would feel "looked in" being on a ship, but it was so much fun and they just go above and beyond to make you feel happy! I am sure you would love it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminni View Post
Your cruise looks wonderful. One question though, do you think you could go on one as a solo? My next trips will probably be solo as my husband doesnt do disney.
I am sure you would be fine travelling solo! At dinner you will be seated with others anyway and I have never got to talk to so many "strangers" before, than on that cruise.
And there is SO much to do, so many activities you can sign up for that time just seems to fly by. We never even made it to the "other" evening activities, like Bingo or Karaoke or clubs, because we went to see the early "show" in the Walt Disney Theater and then went to have dinner which took until 9.30 - 10.00pm. We would then go back to the stateroom, change and go do on a fish-extender round.
Have you ever thought of sharing a stateroom with someone? There are people here on the cruise board who are looking for room mates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn5700 View Post
Hi! OMG I love your reviews!!! What an amazing trip!!
Welcome Lynn! It truely was a amazing trip with lots of wonderful new experiences and yummy food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness gal View Post
looks like ya'll had some more natur AL fun

WOW great reviews !!!
Thank you! I am glad you are here!

Old 10-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #150
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Day 12, Aug 26

Day at sea, Brunch at Palo, Part 1

This was supposed to be our "leisure day" where we could sleep in. Well, we didn't, we got up rather early and sat outside on our balcony and enjoyed the view.

We had a reservation at Palo at 11am and we got there about 10 minutes early. When we signed in we asked if Michele could be our server and we were granted our wish!
We were led to our table and within a minute Michele appeared. He was as nice and friendly as the last time and really treated us like friends. First off, he told us that we would start our brunch with a glass of Prosecco! We all agreed, only Joe does not drink alcohol, so he went for water.

Then he took us for a tour of the buffet! Have a look for yourself!

Here is the cold selection!

Breakfast pastries .............

Hot selection

Bread and cheese selection

So, what do you think? We were stunned and if you think that was ALL they had to offer, you'll be surprised!!!

Next up - What WE had and sweet delights selection!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: