Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
khanna
Mouseketeer

Ohana--bad reviews lately--should I cancel this ADR?

We leave in 5 days. We have an ADR at Ohana next Tuesday for dinner-645pm--but I have read some VERY bad reviews of this place RECENTLY. I know many people have said it was great in the past--this is why we booked it--BUT--I have read of horrible service, people getting ill and thinking it is the shrimp or pork, food being just thrown at you (the feeling of)...I just don't know. We are going with 3 small kids--ages 6, 5 and 4. I am beginning to wonder if they will even like the food offerings. Should I cancel and try for something else--like Kona, the Wave, or something at our Resort (BWI)??? I am nervous about this ADR now. Any thoughts? Thanks!

October, 2009 BWI Deluxe-CL

September 4-8,2010-Bay Lake Tower, 2 bedroom villa Part of a grand gathering!

Next: April/May 2014: Staying Offsite: Windsor Hills, 8 nights!!! Our Debt Free celebration!!!! Thanks Dave Ramsey for the guidance!!
khanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

I was one of those "bad" reviews. But for my one review there are probably 3 to 4 good reviews. I am glad I tried it once. Keeping your ADR will have to be up to you as it should be. If you feel uncomfortable, change it. Willing to try it cause it may be your favorite meal, go for it... In the end, there is always pizza or chicken nuggets to make up for a meal that wasn't what you were expecting. Enjoy your vacation!
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

I haven't tried LeCellier and trying it on our upcomint trip. I would keep it unless you rather take the kids to Garden Grill b/c they might enjoy a character meal but we are going to try it and keep our ADR. I just saw a most what 1 TS do you like this year and LeCellier was post a couple of times...hope this helps.

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
notaclue
DIS Veteran

Well I can only offer my opinion and I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but we ate there last week for breakfast and again Monday evening. The breakfast was just so-so food but the service wasn't too bad. At dinner, the food was again just so-so and the service was so rushed we felt like they were trying to get everyone in and out as fast as possible. The server is supposed to bring you a damp cloth to wipe the sticky wings off your hands and I asked our server twice for one and didn't get one. The main thing we didn't like was the noise level. Maybe because it isn't carpeted but it was like walking into a riot. Actually the whole upstairs of the Poly Great Ceremonial House was too loud for our tastes. We were disappointed with the food at Kona (except breakfast which was good) and 'Ohana so we probably won't do either one again. Don't go expecting great food but if you're going for the breakfast characters it is fine.
notaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
dseth
DIS Veteran

I hope you keep it!! That was one of the best meals of our trip. We just ate there this past Saturday evening and everything was pretty perfect. We had great service and the food was delicious! I still wish I didn't have to peel the shrimp but what can ya do!?!
dseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

sorry, I type LeCellier...I was looking at another post but we too have breakfast and Dinner planned at Ohana and I'm keeping it b/c its another place we have never tried. I think my 4yrs son will enjoy so we are going to keep it. I read reviews and then make my decisions. We will never know unless we try.

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
khanna
Mouseketeer

Your right, we will never know unless we try. I think we will keep it to see what all the hype is about. We are not fond of loud places....so we will go prepared for loud. Thanks for all of your thoughts and more are welcome! At this late date I don't think we could change to a decent TS meal anyway, so we might as well keep it and see what we think. we are going for dinner..so we will see! Thanks again!

October, 2009 BWI Deluxe-CL

September 4-8,2010-Bay Lake Tower, 2 bedroom villa Part of a grand gathering!

Next: April/May 2014: Staying Offsite: Windsor Hills, 8 nights!!! Our Debt Free celebration!!!! Thanks Dave Ramsey for the guidance!!
khanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
deebits
Evil Queen

I am one also who is now not fond of Ohana, but you have to remember, most of us know what we had in the past and comparing it to that experience. You will be going with a "new" experience and not able to compare it to previous Ohana dining. I think you should keep it and experience this yourself. There must be a reason this is one of hardest reservations to book, but for me I enjoy other places better than here.

deebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #9
nyz2004
Mouseketeer

Khanna, we are going to bump into each other. We had ARD at 7:05pm that day. I don't care if it's a good one or not, the polynesian resort is gorgeous, kids can play at the beach, watch fireworks from there. It's just a meal.
plus it's free dining.
nyz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
devonsmommy
DIS Veteran

We ate here a few weeks ago and I LOVED the food! I didn't eat very much meat, but the wings, noodles, broccoli, etc was very good!
My only complaint was that our service was very slow.

COME READ MY TRIP REPORT! Girls Gone Wild 5/4-5/11 or my DINING REPORT! 5/4-5/11 w/ lots of pics!

8/15-24/13 DINING REPORT

October 2014--Wonder!
May 2014--OKW
August 2013--Polynesian, October 2012--Old Key West, May 2012--Animal Kingdom Lodge/Expedition Everest!, March 2012--Disney Magic!, Feb. 2012--Pop, Dec. 2010--Contemporary/Pop, Sept. 2009--Pop, Sept. 2008--POR, June 2004--Vistana
And many trips before!
devonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I was there September 6 and I did not think it was bad at all. The restaurant was really messy (late reservation) and the servers were not all that good, but the food was good (I did not like the beef much, but the chicken wings, potstickers, turkey, shrimp and dessert were great)
Old 10-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
Iwant2BAprincess
DIS Veteran

2 weeks ago

we tried ohana's for the 1st time 2 weeks ago, 9pm ressie. We were not rushed but our server was also not overly attentive. The food was fine but it was a lot of work to keep getting everything cut/peeled for 2 little ones. Nothing was wrong with anything it just didnt make our must do's
Iwant2BAprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
ROEDISNEY
DIS Veteran My name is Disney

I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't go back. The food we got was very dryed out.
Also it's smoked and we don't like that.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
Meriweather
Maybe we will have an arrival or two today
Time to share your chocolate!

We ate there last week...and in June.
One of our favorites. Not rushed. Food was great.....servers both times were very good.
We will go again next trip.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
Anjelica
Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere

We have gone there several times for dinner and once for the Lilo and Stitch Breakfast. It was one of our FAVORITE restaurants after the 1st visit in 2000. When we went back in 2006 it was only so-so. Then we went again in 2008 and I have to say is we probably won't be back (at least for the dinner). It has progressivly gotten worse throughout the years, at least for us. The service and food quality just went down. You may ask why did we go back after the so-so service/food quality the second time - well we thought maybe it was just a one time deal. Oh well....
Anjelica is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: