Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #91
dzalice
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info on the hotels. I never thought about checking the cancellation policy. Actually we have been toying with the idea of making a reservation on the fly. Di also has a couple of apps that locate hotels near you. By early afternoon we might have a good idea where we will end up and could call ahead to reserve a room. You never know what you will run into on the road. I once got stopped in TN for 30-45 minutes because they were blasting next to the highway further up the road. Thatís not exactly something you can plan for.

Hi! and thanks for joining us. I've had my Touch for a couple of months now and find myself constantly adding apps for which I probably will have no further use. Right now I have a 2010 Olympic app, gave me the schedule for all the events, is it showing anything now, well no. I have 4 Disney apps, I think they were all free. WDW Dining, Mouse Memo, Park Hours, and Disney List. I love the Dining and Park hours. I am at work right now, and Scuttle's Landing is the closest Dining to me, 965 miles. Much closer than Pinocchio. The Park Hours update themselves every month to add the new hours posted, so we are up to the end of September now. (come on October) The Disney List and Mouse Memo I'm not using so much now, but expect to add more to them once we make ADRs and such.The other apps I have (Hampton, HotelPal, HotelsbyMe, andHotel Sites, all need WiFi connections, which we dont have at home yet, but hope to have soon. They will list Hotels near by, or by city or by chain, I expect them to be very helpful.

dzalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #92
pixiepirate
Mouseketeer

My PTO request has finally been approved and my dates are marked on the calendar! Darn good thing too, since we already booked the trip.

Aug 1992, off site International Drive
Oct 1999, CSR
Sep 2008, WL/Mar 2009 BC
Oct 2010 CBR
Apr 2012 GF/Nov 2012 WL
YC Sep 2014
pixiepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #93
dzalice
Mouseketeer

Well thank goodness! I wasnt looking forward to driving down there by myself. Hey! Alice opens today! Yippee!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #94
pixiepirate
Mouseketeer

We are trying to decide on a day for the KTTK tour. This will be our first tour at WDW and I have to say I am really looking forward to it. Our options are Wednesday, 10/13 or Monday, 10/18. Di had some serious knee problems last year. She is much better now but still has days of stiffness and aches. Sheís a little concerned about the length of the tour and the number of rest periods. We have been debating the feasibility of both days. Should we choose Wednesday, when we will be reasonably fresh (like we won't just have spent two days tramping around Universal), or Monday, when we will be more tired but know we can spend the next two days off our feet on the drive home? Iím fine with either day so I am letting Di make the final decision on this. I think right now she is leaning toward Wednesday with Monday as an alternate.

Only a little more than a week and we should have the October hours. Let the serious planning start! April 13th is our 180 days for ADRs. Then we will be waiting on the MNSSHP dates and tickets.

Oct 1999, CSR
Sep 2008, WL/Mar 2009 BC
Oct 2010 CBR
Apr 2012 GF/Nov 2012 WL
YC Sep 2014
Old 03-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #95
dzalice
Mouseketeer

"Serious Planning"? Is that anything like a Wild Rumpus?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #96
pixiepirate
Mouseketeer

Got the Oct hours! I am hard at work compiling all the pertinent data into a calendar, trying a little different format this time. There will be some intense discussion on what, when and where this weekend. Only 14 days until we can make ADRs.

Oct 1999, CSR
Sep 2008, WL/Mar 2009 BC
Oct 2010 CBR
Apr 2012 GF/Nov 2012 WL
YC Sep 2014
Old 04-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #97
pixiepirate
Mouseketeer

OK, the calendar is done and I have actually had the chance to peruse the data. It looks like thereís a possibility for MNSSHP on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday while we are there. Monday and Tuesday are out. We will be at Universal those days and Iím not sure how long we will want to stay. We had been thinking about Thursday, but Sunday would work as well. In fact, it might be the best day. We are planning to do Chef Mickeyís on Monday morning and could book a later time and sleep in a little after the party. My concern here is crowds. Last time we went on a Friday in late September and it was not crowded at all. Closer to Halloween I wonder if the crowds on a weekend evening would be much larger than on a Thursday. The final decision may be determined by our KTTK tour. We plan to book that for Wednesday, but Monday is our alternate if Wednesday is not available. I would definitely choose Thursday for MNSSHP if we end up booking the tour for Monday.

Oct 1999, CSR
Sep 2008, WL/Mar 2009 BC
Oct 2010 CBR
Apr 2012 GF/Nov 2012 WL
YC Sep 2014
Old 04-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #98
dzalice
Mouseketeer

My knee is improving weekly, so I am with Zig on this, hoping for the KTTK tour on Wednesday. According to the calendar right now, Epcot will be open late that night, so we could probably go there in the evening. We are trying to avoid Epcot on weekend nights due to the Food and Wine Festival going on. I am ok with either Friday or Sunday for our MNSSHP, we will have to check further once tickets are available.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #99
pixiepirate
Mouseketeer

So much for our plans to plan this weekend. That kind of flew by and we never had a chance to sit down and talk. We did finally find a few minutes Monday night to make a start. We have got to get moving. Our ADR date is coming up fast.

We will be arriving at CBR sometime on Sunday. Since this is our first time doing a 2 day drive, Iím not exactly sure what time that will be. I hope we can be there between 3 or 4PM, before 6PM at the latest. A lot will depend on traffic, construction and weather. We will take some down time once we reach the resort to settle in our room, relax a bit, and maybe catch a meal or a snack. We have come up with several options for the evening.

#1. Head out to MK. We have an extra park day we will use either Sunday, Monday or Tuesday evening. The park will be having late EMH and will be open until 2AM. OK, I know I won't be out that late but we could head over late and still get in several hours of fun. It is a holiday weekend so we will have to consider whether we are up to dealing with the crowds after driving all day.

#2. Watch the Illuminations fireworks from the CBR beach. This would give us plenty of time for a leisurely dinner and to explore the resort. Maybe even hit the whirlpool. A nice relaxing evening before our first full day of action.

#3. Head for Downtown Disney. This is hit or miss with me. I like shopping at the World of Disney Store but the area as a whole is on my ďFit it in if we can list.Ē Iíd rather be spending time in the parks.

Itís hard to say what we might feel like doing after the long drive. We probably won't make the final decision until that day but itís nice to have options in advance instead of sitting around the room trying to decide what to do.

Oct 1999, CSR
Sep 2008, WL/Mar 2009 BC
Oct 2010 CBR
Apr 2012 GF/Nov 2012 WL
YC Sep 2014
Old 04-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #100
pixiepirate
Mouseketeer

The calendar is starting to come together. We have moved on to Monday and are already making changes. Monday is Universal Studios Day 1. I have a few concerns about this day because it is a holiday. I am not sure how this will impact the crowds. We had been considering doing one long day at US and one shorter day, figuring that the shorter day would be Tuesday as we would just come in, visit Potterland again and then hit the parts of the parks we had missed the day before. After checking WDW for Monday, we have decided to make Monday our shorter day, leaving US about 3-4PM. A short break at the resort, maybe dinner and then we can head out to HS.

We had a bit of a discussion about this and decided it might be a better use of our extra park hopper to go to HS Monday night for late EMH. This means we would not be going to MK on Sunday night. Itís a break with tradition as MK has always been our first park and PotC our first ride. With HSí early evening hours most of the week we are there, itís beginning to look like there might not be many opportunities to visit the park. For some reason I have not been able to identify, I really like this park, even though we avoid most of the big attractions. None of the parks have late EMH on Tuesday so Sunday and Monday nights are our best options.

As for our US plans for this day, we will be heading directly to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter as soon as the gates open. I intend to spend much time there soaking up all the atmosphere and magic I can. Then it will be on to the Marvel Superhero Island. Mostly for shopping since we donít do the thrill rides. I hope I can find some cool Wolverine stuff. We are planning on Mythos for lunch.

I tried to book our KTTK tour this morning. Turns out I was a tad early. I will have to call again next week.

Oct 1999, CSR
Sep 2008, WL/Mar 2009 BC
Oct 2010 CBR
Apr 2012 GF/Nov 2012 WL
YC Sep 2014
Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #101
Simba22
DIS Veteran

hello everyone! I just found your PTR - I'm also perusing the PTR boards for other people going in October 2010! We are going Oct 19 - 29, staying at CSR. Our party will consist of me, my boyfriend, and my brother - all adults, no kids! This will be my 9th trip to Disney, my DBFs 8th, and my brother's 5th.

DBF and I are really big "nerds" and he is a HUGE comic book fan! I haven't told him about the Marvel section of IOA that you guys were talking about earlier in the report....Maybe one day we will try out US and IOA but for now, we are content with WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzalice View Post
The biggest disappointment was staying till midnight on New Years Eve only to have the fireworks cancelled due to the wind. I don’t think I will be doing that again.
OMG I WOULD BE SOOOOO MAD!!!

Quote:
Favorite Park:
Zig Magic Kingdom
Diane Epcot
Me: Animal Kingdom
DBF: Hollywood Studios or Epcot...he couldn't decide between the two

Quote:
Favorite resort (so far):
Zig Wilderness Lodge
Diane Wilderness Lodge
Me: CSR or POFQ
DBF: CSR or POFQ
We loved both equally

Quote:
Favorite Harry Potter movie:
Zig: The Order of the Phoenix
Diane: The Chamber of Secrets
Me: Goblet of Fire
DBF: Goblet of Fire

Quote:
So although I know Dinosaur is supposed to have the same basic ride dynamics as Indy I will not be riding that. Heck I wont even ride the Tea Cups and I love Alice.
I hate the teacups but somehow I always get suckered into riding them. You really should give Soarin' a try though...It's one of the greatest feelings you could ever imagine! And Dinosaur is terrifying. I don't suffer from motion sickness on rides (riding in the back seat of a car though is a whole different story ) but I think Dinosaur could definitely cause some upchucking. And did I mention it's terrifying?

Quote:
Favorite Hogwarts Professor
Zig: Professor Lupin
Diane: Professor MacGonagall
Me: Professor Lupin
DBF: Professor Snape

Quote:
We were pretty much set on CBR since our plans for the pirate room
Then I found the Room Photos thread on the Resorts Board. Big mistake.
I know what you mean about the Resorts Boards! We stayed at CSR in October 2007, then went to POFQ in March 2008, then to Pop in October 2009, and we are booked for CSR again this coming October but part of my brain keeps floating to other resorts....If only I could afford AKL!!!

Quote:
Favorite Marvel (Disney) Character
Zig: Wolverine
Di: It's hard to choose, there are so many, but I will go with Gambit at this time.
Me: Mystique
DBF: Captain America, followed closely by Green Goblin and Gambit.

Quote:
So now you know we both like SF&F. Besides being a lover of Star Wars, Star Trek and Stargate, I am also a huge fan of Doctor Who and Torchwood. And, of course, Harry Potter, both the books and the films. We love movies and have a small group of friends that go almost every Tuesday night and have been doing so for almost 10 years. I like to read too, but lately don’t seem to have as much time for that as I would like.
We do some Sci-Fi and Fantasy stuff here... Star Wars and Star Trek definitely but we never got into Stargate. DBF loves Dr. Who. We also watch TrueBlood on HBO, Heroes on NBC, and have read all of the Sookie Stackhouse books (the series that started TrueBlood), as well as all of the Harry Potter books and seen all of the movies. I am also into the paranormal.

We actually had a "bad movie night" tradition here for a while....we started a Netflix account and rented the worst movies we could find. The tradition ended with "Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus." We cancelled our Netflix after that one. It was painful to watch.

Quote:
Favorite Fantasy Novel
Zig: The Chronicles of Amber Series by Roger Zelazny
Di: Return to Oz by L Frank Baum
Me: I would have to say either "Dead to the World" which is the 4th book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, or The Looking Glass Wars - a retelling of the Alice in Wonderland story. I'm currently in the 3rd book from this series.
DBF: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Quote:
We are hoping for some sort of discount, either on rooms or free dining. How long should we wait to see if there is an offer for our scheduled dates? If we book our trip and then a discount offer comes along, can we just ask to have that discount applied to the package we have already booked or do we need to scrap that package and start all over again to get the discount?
We got a 25% PIN code this year for booking a package stay at a moderate. But my brother is in the military so I am waiting to see if they announce a new military discount for the end of the year. The current offer is for 40% off the room rate, and then he can get 4 day base tickets for all of us for $99. So we could get 8 park days (we don't do hoppers) for $200 which is an EXCELLENT deal. Whether or not they still offer these deals (or anything at all for that matter) come October, is yet to be seen. We're already saved a lot of money using the 25% discount, the military discount would be even better. I actually tried to price out AKL with the 40% discount (just in case) and it's STILL more than we can afford. Even in a standard room, with the 40% off, we would have to pay an additional $1800. Oh...and in case you haven't already been informed, you can always change the discount code that is applied to your ressie. So like right now, we have the 25% PIN, but if the military one becomes available, I can change the PIN to that one and not have to actually change my ressie.

Quote:
Let’s talk ADRs.
I make TS ressies for every day of our trip...sometimes 2 per day. I LOVE TS meals. I like being able to sit and enjoy a real breakfast without just rushing out the door to get to the park, and I like being able to relax in the evening with a good dinner. We normally do QS lunches though.

Quote:
We want to do another character meal. As much as we love the Princess Breakfast in Norway, we thought we might try something different this time.
The character breakfast at Ohana is my favorite, although we had dinner at LTT (I don't know if they are still doing character meals there) and it was fantastic. We had amazing character interaction! We're trying Cape May Cafe's character breakfast this trip!

Quote:
Favorite Character Meal
Zig: Princess Breakfast at Akershus Norway Epcot
Di: (ditto)
Me: Ohana
DBF: Ohana

Quote:
We actually like EMH. I know a lot of people say you should avoid the parks with EMH, but we never really find it to be exceptionally crowded on those days, or maybe we just don’t know any better, since we have always gone to early EMH
We always go to the park that has PM EMH. We usually spend our mornings eating breakfast so AM EMHs don't mean anything to us. But the PM EMH are the best! Walk on rides, smaller crowds, and cooler temperatures! Yes, please!

Quote:
We could do AK on Sunday again, just at the end of the trip instead of the beginning. Friday is a possibility too. What are the crowds like then? Anyone know?
I know that MK and Epcot are usually the parks people flock to on the weekends...mainly the AP holders and the locals. So either AK or HS would probably be a good bet for a weekend.

Quote:
Favorite table service restaurant:
Zig Prime Time Cafť
Diane Prime Time Cafe
Me: Boma or The Plaza. I love them both
DBF: San Angel Inn

Quote:
I bought the new Unofficial Guide a couple of weeks ago and have been going over it.
I'm a fan of The Complete Walt Disney World. They publish a new one every year and sometimes the info is a little...ahem...incorrect...because they go to print before plans have become official. But I read through it...cover to cover. It really just takes me there...ya know?

Quote:
OK, Zig and I have decided to (separately) make a list of the table service restaurants we would like to eat at. Then we can compare the list and see if there are any matches. So here’s my list:

Rainforest Cafť (I want to see if it is any different from the ones I’ve eaten at before, besides they have a good menu)
Tusker House
Yak and Yeti (we’ve eaten at the counter service and I see they have the Honey Chicken at the restaurant also, yum)
Biergarten
Restaurant Marrakesh
Tutto Italia
Liberty Tree Tavern
Plaza Restaurant
Maya Grill
Raglan Road

Here are a few restaurants I would be willing to consider adding to our list if we were to be eligible for free dining:

Raglan Road
1900 Park Fare (breakfast)
Princess Storybook Breakfast at Akershus
Le Cellier
Yak & Yeti
Chefs de France
The Plaza Restaurant
Liberty Tree Tavern
Cap’n Jack’s Restaurant
Tusker House

Still need to check the menus on the Signature restaurants.
The Rainforest Cafe at AK is better than the one in DTD. We like it
Yak & Yeti is fantastic!
Tutto Italia was my favorite meal of the trip when we went in October 2009.
We had a GREAT dinner at LTT back in 2007. All around, just a really good experience.
The Plaza is one of my favorites.

Never ate at any of the others but we have plans to eat at Maya Grill this year since we are staying at CSR.

Quote:
So, I guess, what I’m trying to say is that there are 2 forces that need to combine to make your vacation “Disney magical.” One: the Disney experience itself, the CMs, the parks, the resorts, the attractions, the whole package. And two: you. You have to be the best vacationer you can be, courteous, pleasant and ready to enjoy all that is laid out before you.

I can’t say that Zig and I have always been the best vacationers around, there’s always something that gets you down or irritates you or just makes you react badly. But we always seem to have a really good time down at Disney and we’re planning on having a really good time next year too.
ITA! I've been reading all of these threads about people complaining about their rooms (who checks UNDER the mattress or UNDER the A/C unit or BEHIND the dresser? Not me!), or complaining about the food, or whatever the case may be. I swear, I have been to WDW 8 times and I have never found anything to complain about. I've only had 2 sub-par dining experiences but I wouldn't deem TERRIBLE... although I won't be going back to those restaurants for a while (don't worry - neither were on your lists!) I agree that "it's Disney" but in the same respect I know that they are a business. And like ANY and EVERY business, there are going to be people that take their jobs seriously and people that don't. But what really irks me is people who complain about how terrible their experience was to anyone who will listen (or read) but they never brought it up to a manager or anyone while they were actually THERE. If your room is dirty, SAY SOMETHING! The managers can't fix something if they don't know it's broken! And again, yes "it's Disney" but I don't go there expecting a 5 star meal every time we sit down to eat. As long as my food is cooked appropriately and there is nothing "foreign" in it (such as hair, bandaids, or thumbs) I'll be the first one to say it was a great meal. But hey, that's just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepirate View Post
She is doing a line of Tink figurines for the Bradford Exchange, the first of which is called Kiss My Wings. I have seen the color artwork for this figurine, a spunky little Tink, and can't wait to see the finished piece. Jasmine will also be doing a line of Disney princesses for Bradford. I have seen a black and white drawing of the first princess, Snow White. Very cute, and again I can't wait to see the finished figurine. Rather refreshing too, that the first princess was not Cinderella, though I would have preferred it be Aurora, my personal favorite. Jasmine told me the line will also include Ariel and Jasmine so perhaps we will get all the princesses not just the Fab Four.
I have not seen the Tink line but I have the Princesses. What started out as ONE line of Princesses turned into 3! I have now have THREE complete Princess collections! Each set contains Cinderella, Jasmine, Belle, Snow White, Ariel, and Aurora.

Quote:
My Toy Story Mania Wii game arrived while I was at Faeriecon so my first chance to play was this past weekend. Whoa! What an addicting game.
We bought it a couple of weeks ago and found it to be...I don't know...a bit boring almost We were really excited to play it because we love the ride so much but there was really no enthusiasm while we were playing it on the Wii. It just isn't the same to us.

Quote:
Hey, signed up for the new Disney Planning DVD today. Not that we really need it but it helps get me in the mood. We are waiting on the MNSSHP schedule as well.
We watched the DVD a couple of weeks ago. It just gives me goosebumps watching it. I love it. The dates for the Halloween Party were posted on a thread specifically devoted to MNSSHP. I don't think they have been announced on Disney's site yet but here is the link:
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=129

Quote:
WDW Dining, Mouse Memo, Park Hours, and Disney List. I love the Dining and Park hours.
I have the Touch too...must....get....apps!!!!

Ok so I've officially been DISing for about 3 hours now....it's 12:30am...going to bed!

Only 192 days to go for us!
Simba22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #102
pixiepirate
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba22 View Post
hello everyone! I just found your PTR - I'm also perusing the PTR boards for other people going in October 2010! We are going Oct 19 - 29, staying at CSR. Our party will consist of me, my boyfriend, and my brother - all adults, no kids! This will be my 9th trip to Disney, my DBFs 8th, and my brother's 5th.

DBF and I are really big "nerds" and he is a HUGE comic book fan! I haven't told him about the Marvel section of IOA that you guys were talking about earlier in the report....Maybe one day we will try out US and IOA but for now, we are content with WDW

Only 192 days to go for us!
Welcome Simba. And thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment on our PTR. I see that we will be leaving WDW the day your arrive. Our magical trip will be ending just as yours is beginning and I hope you have a wonderful time.

We stayed at CSR our first time on property and I loved it. We hope to stay there again some day. My goal is to stay at every resort at least once. (Well maybe not every resort, I think I can skip All Star Sports.) I am also hoping we can stay at AKL very soon.

Always glad to meet another Doctor Who and Torchwood fan. I'm looking forward to the debut of the new Doctor this Saturday.

Oct 1999, CSR
Sep 2008, WL/Mar 2009 BC
Oct 2010 CBR
Apr 2012 GF/Nov 2012 WL
YC Sep 2014
Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #103
pixiepirate
Mouseketeer

Tuesday, Universal Studios Day 2. It will be back to Potterland first thing today too. I want to soak in all the magic I can because I donít know how long it will be before I get back. Today we will be feasting at the Three Broomsticks for lunch. I have been reading reviews of some of the menu items and can barely stop myself from drooling. Shepherdís pie and Cornish pasties. We may have to eat here twice. And I definitely have to find room for a Cauldron Cake. Chocolate exploding with chocolate? That is magic. Other than that the rest of the day will be spent catching up on things we missed the previous day. Depending on how long we are at US that day we could head over to DTD in the evening. Or, if we donít feel like wandering far from the resort, we could watch the Illuminations fireworks again.

Wednesday we start doing Disney in earnest. We hope this will be our KTTK tour day. Iím sure we will stay at the park for a few hours after the tour finishes though we may have to take a break if Diís knee is acting up. We will definitely make time for the first PotC ride. We are long past the commando stage so we will be taking a break every afternoon. Itís usually just a couple of hours, time to relax, take our shoes off, put our feet up and cool off. We have done this the past two trips and it really works for us.

Oct 1999, CSR
Sep 2008, WL/Mar 2009 BC
Oct 2010 CBR
Apr 2012 GF/Nov 2012 WL
YC Sep 2014
Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #104
dzalice
Mouseketeer

Since we are planning our KTTK tour on Wednesday, we already know we will be having breakfast at the resort and lunch at Columbia Harbor House. (OMG, we can make ADRs today!!! Iíd almost forgot). Dinner will be a question. We may want to eat at the resort again, or if we do decide on Epcot that night (which is a pretty good possibility since itís late night there), we can eat there. Now we have eaten at Sunshine Seasons before, and they have pretty good food, also have eaten at America, China, France, and Norway. But since this time we will be coming in the front gate (last time we stayed at Beach Club and always entered Epcot through the IG), I have suggested to Zig that we should probably stay with Sunshine Seasons, otherwise we will be walking around half of World SHowcase to get our dinner. Depending on how hungry I am, I donít think thatís going to be a good idea. So it will probably be either the resort or Sunshine Seasons for supper.

Last edited by dzalice; 04-13-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #105
pixiepirate
Mouseketeer

Just got off the phone with Disney Tours. Our KTTK tour is booked for Oct 13th. I'm really excited about this, it's our first tour. And now that we have that done we know we will be doing Chef Mickey on the 18th. Tonight we will try to get our ADRs booked.

Oct 1999, CSR
Sep 2008, WL/Mar 2009 BC
Oct 2010 CBR
Apr 2012 GF/Nov 2012 WL
YC Sep 2014

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: