Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #31
dzalice
Mouseketeer

Arrow Transportation

October 2010, it seems a long way away, doesnít it? But itís less than a year now! How can we get all our planning done in one year? OK, transportation: We are going to drive, yes drive from just south of Chicago all the way to Florida . We have done the flying thing, (Sep 08) and decided it was not for us. Just not enough room in the suitcase for all the stuff we want to take and bring back. And letís not talk about airfares, airlines, or the lack of customer service there right now. Not to mention the fact I hate waiting around in airports. Or being cooped up in the plane. So itís driving for us.

We have made the drive down into the southeast several times now. We went to the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta . I think we made that drive in one day. **, that is something I donít want to do again. We drove down to Orlando in 1992 for MagiCon (and went to WDW then). I think we took 2 days that time. We actually drove down this past March, made remarkably good time and were fairly comfortable along the way. We took 2Ĺ days to drive in March, but for this trip we are planning only 2 days (one sleep along the way). So itís "get up early and get on the road, kiddies" for us. We usually stop over in Kentucky . Ha, when we went in March, we stopped in Louisville . (Acutally, it was Elizabethtown ). Believe me, you do not want to be trying to get a room in a college town during March Madness. We will be marking that on our calendars now, even though we are not college basketball fans. This time I think we will be trying to make it to Chattanooga or thereabouts, ( Murfreesboro is our halfway point) which would only leave driving through Georgia and the little of Florida to Orlando .

Thank Detroit for cruise control. It made the last trip so much easier and quicker. I would actually like to make it past Atlanta the first day. But that is a long haul for me. By the time we hit the Georgia line I am starting to go stir crazy and need to be out of the car.

Zig has a very nice RAV 4 with lots of room inside (the back seats actually slide forward, giving you more room in the storage area, not to mention folding down and out of the way if you really need a lot of room (maybe for that 6 foot tall stuffed Mickey). I have a new 2009 HHR, but while it is roomy enough for me, I donít think it will be good enough for WDW. (Diís afraid there won't be room for all of the stuff she wants to buy.) We are actually taking it to Maryland the first weekend in November to Faeriecon, so we will see whether it has enough room. (In case you couldnít tell from her siggy, Zig is very much into faeries.) (And pirates.)

dzalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #32
dzalice
Mouseketeer

Injuries

So itís about a week before we go to Maryland for Faeriecon and I have somehow messed up my knee. It started out as just a stiff knee and escalated into being unable to bend the knee or put weight on it. Oddly, I cant remember any injury or popping of the knee, no sharp pains or redness or swelling, so I have no idea what I did. The knee is slowly getting better, Iím keeping it wrapped up, using ice if I feel it needs it and now I can bend it again, but I still cant put a lot of weight on it. Thank goodness the Faeriecon is all at one hotel so I wont be doing too much walking around. At least we are not going to Disney otherwise I would have to get an ECV and I have no idea how to drive one of those. I can just see me tooling around Epcot and ending up in the lagoon. Iím ok to drive (a car, since itís my turn to drive), itís just one of those things that doesnít hurt until you try to walk around. Weird.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #33
disneycat_f2008
Mouseketeer

I really hope your knee feels better soon

May 2002 - with my sister - offsite
April 2008 - with my Husband - on Honeymoon - stayed offsite at wynfield inn

A Link to our Honeymoon Photo's in Disney
disneycat_f2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #34
dzalice
Mouseketeer

Thank you kindly, ma'am. Yes, it is getting better, still stiff, and I am still wearing a brace, but at least I can walk around without too much trouble now. The frustrating part was not even knowing I had hurt my leg. It just went from stiff to unable to bear weight in about 3 days. So strange.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #35
dzalice
Mouseketeer

Dining Plan?

Dining plan, dining plan, dining plan. So what happens if we get free dining next October? We are staying at a moderate resort so we get the regular dining plan, one table, one counter, one snack per person per day. So does that start the day we check in? (Yes, it does. I keep reminding her of that but she never remembers.) That would mean 9 days of dining plan. We are probably going to arrive later in the afternoon on Sunday, and then Monday and Tuesday are Universal days. How will we work this out? Zig and I were trying to figure out what table service meals we would want. Remember, we feel that counter service is a better choice for us, since we donít like sitting down to tables in the middle of the day. Actually, Di is the one who prefers not to do so many table services meals. I donít mind having a little break in the middle of the day. (Well, Iím usually just wanting to get on to the next attraction and I eat fast anyway).

So we are already planning on Prime Time, Whispering Canyon , Rose and Crown, and Chef Mickey. We have already done SciFi Drive-in, Chefs de France, the Princess breakfast at Akershus, and Breakfast with Cindy and werenít actually planning on doing these again this time. If we get free dining, we will have to add 5 more tables to our plans. I would do the Princess again, but not the others, not this time and certainly not SciFi. Does anyone else think they need to moderate the temperature in there? We have eaten there twice that I can remember and both times it was below arctic in there. How can anyone enjoy a meal if they are shivering so badly? And we went in September so it wasnít totally hot outside either. SciFi is the only restaurant that I find intolerable as to temperature.

I have been considering the Signature restaurants. They require 2 dining credits so if we did a couple of those we would have less table meals to plan for. I have taken a very quick look at the menu for several of the restaurants and have to say I am not finding much appealing. I donít eat any kind of seafood and am not a big steak person. Weed out anything really spicy as well and thatís not leaving a lot to choose from. I really wish there were more pasta dishes without seafood accompaniment. And just because I find something I would like doesnít mean Di will. See now, I like spicy food, and steak, but no seafood, unless itís fish and chips. So while I would have a wider range than Zig, we need to be together on this. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is going to require further thought and consideration. Stay tuned.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #36
dzalice
Mouseketeer

Restaurants

OK, Zig and I have decided to (separately) make a list of the table service restaurants we would like to eat at. Then we can compare the list and see if there are any matches. So hereís my list:

Rainforest Cafť (I want to see if it is any different from the ones Iíve eaten at before, besides they have a good menu)
Tusker House
Yak and Yeti (weíve eaten at the counter service and I see they have the Honey Chicken at the restaurant also, yum)
Biergarten
Restaurant Marrakesh
Tutto Italia
Liberty Tree Tavern
Plaza Restaurant
Maya Grill
Raglan Road

Here are a few restaurants I would be willing to consider adding to our list if we were to be eligible for free dining:

Raglan Road
1900 Park Fare (breakfast)
Princess Storybook Breakfast at Akershus
Le Cellier
Yak & Yeti
Chefs de France
The Plaza Restaurant
Liberty Tree Tavern
Capín Jackís Restaurant
Tusker House

Still need to check the menus on the Signature restaurants.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #37
disneycat_f2008
Mouseketeer

seems like you to have a couple of places the same on your lists

May 2002 - with my sister - offsite
April 2008 - with my Husband - on Honeymoon - stayed offsite at wynfield inn

A Link to our Honeymoon Photo's in Disney
disneycat_f2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #38
dzalice
Mouseketeer

Off to see the Faeries

Well, I see that out of the 9 restaurants I chose, Zig has chosen 5 of the same. And out of the 10 that she chose, an additional 3 are ones we have already eaten at and that I would eat at again, but they wouldnít be my first choice. So I guess this isnít going to be so hard after all. We are way too much alike. I guess the hard part will be deciding which ones we want to try this time.

We are off to Faeriecon in Hunt Valley, MD tomorrow. I expect to find Tinkerbell and all her faerie friends there. We will try to have some Faeriecon pictures or even Disney Faerie pictures for you when we get back.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #39
dzalice
Mouseketeer

Hi, weíre back from Faeriecon. No pictures yet, but we did have a pretty good time. We had vendors selling faerie prints, faerie clothes, faerie jewelry and faerie figurines, plus lots of other stuff. We had discussion panels with artists like Charles Vess and authors like Charles deLint. There were Bad Faery and Good Faery Masquerade Balls (unfortunately, I had to sit these out with my bad knee). It was a lot of fun. And we come back to news that Disney is thinking of building in China. Oh, why won't they build up here in the Midwest?

Old 11-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #40
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to poke my head in and say hi. I'm enjoying your trip report so far. I'll be there as well next fall taking a girls trip with a friend of mine. Can't wait to hear about all your plans.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
If U Had Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #41
dzalice
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
Just wanted to poke my head in and say hi. I'm enjoying your trip report so far. I'll be there as well next fall taking a girls trip with a friend of mine. Can't wait to hear about all your plans.

Welcome and thanks for the kind words.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #42
pixiepirate
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
The more the merrier. I hope we can keep you entertained for the next 10 months.

Aug 1992, off site International Drive
Oct 1999, CSR
Sep 2008, WL/Mar 2009 BC
Oct 2010 CBR
Apr 2012 GF/Nov 2012 WL
YC Sep 2014
pixiepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #43
dzalice
Mouseketeer

Move me back, please

I put this on the Tech Support board, but I think I will put it here too, so maybe the moderators will see it. This is still a Pre Trip Report, note the October 2010 title. I think someone confused my back from Faeriecon note and moved us here in error. Maybe there is an edit that catches all the Back from... titles and i shouldnt have used that. But please, move us back to Pre Trip please.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #44
dzalice
Mouseketeer

Aha! We're Back!

Thank you Thank you Thank you

Old 11-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #45
pixiepirate
Mouseketeer

Disney magic can spring up in the most unexpected places. At Faeriecon this past weekend we met a very interesting fellow named Mark. Heís a storyteller, and quite an engaging one. While he was entertaining the crowd before the Costume Contest on Sunday he mentioned Pirates of the Caribbean, asking how many people had been on the ride. Of course, a goodly portion of the room raised their hands. Then he proceeded to tell us that his voice is used in 3 different parts of the ride. Where the pirate ship is firing on the fort he says ďMan down on #4 gun, Capín.Ē He had another line too, and I apologize that I can't remember what it was. I just remember laughing heartily when he told us that he could never say the line without squinting one eye shut. In the market scene he says, ďWe wants the redhead. Give us the redhead.Ē And in the famous jail sequence his voice is mixed with several other saying ďHere doggie, doggie.Ē plus a few other bits.

I donít know if they use the same voices in both Pirates attractions. Mark is definitely in the Disneyland Pirates (he described the double drops). The telling of the tale was an unanticipated bit of Disney magic in itself. Iíve now learned another tiny bit of Disney lore. And I can't wait to be riding Pirates of the Caribbean again.

Aug 1992, off site International Drive
Oct 1999, CSR
Sep 2008, WL/Mar 2009 BC
Oct 2010 CBR
Apr 2012 GF/Nov 2012 WL
YC Sep 2014
pixiepirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: