Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
carolinamama
Mouseketeer

Goofy's Kichen - breakfast or dinner???

Which is better - breakfast or dinner at Goofy's Kitchen? Are the characters different in the am and pm? ??? Any tips appreciated!

We've got the premium character dining vouchers as part of our package by booking through Costco, so $$ isn't an issue on this.

Thanks!!

15 Trips to WDW since 1981 - Bay Lake Tower (2013), Port Orleans Riverside (2013), Contemporary (2009), Polynesian (2008), Wilderness Lodge (1995 and 2006), Caribbean Beach (1995 and other prior dates), Beach Club (1996), Disney Inn (1986), Disney Villas And now a Disneyland trip as well! Grand Californian (2010)
carolinamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Have you taken a look at our character meal photo & information thread? This will give you an idea of what characters to expect:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2234435

I prefer breakfast. Now, to be fair, I have not had the Goofy's dinner in years, and it has changed a bit since then. I've done the breakfast countless times. It wasn't even the fault of Goofy's that I didn't care for dinner in the past - I just wasn't hungry when I went there so nothing appealed to me. Goofy's has a large buffet, with lots of choices. Here is a link to a page from Disneynerd420's Trip Report, in which he posted some excellent photos of the Goofy's Kitchen breakfast buffet offerings (scroll all the way down the page, as the photos are in two different posts - #338 and #339):

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....268157&page=23

Goofy's Kitchen has the widest variety of food and there could be anywhere from 4 to 8 characters roaming around at one time, depending on if it is a shift switch or whatever. The characters who are commonly seen are Chip, Dale, Goofy, Pluto, Baloo, Minnie, Max, Princesses (Belle, Jasmine, Aurora), Alice and the Mad Hatter, soemtimes Captain Hook and the Genie, or any combination of those - it really is kind of a rotating cast of classic Disney characters. I used to think that the more interesting characters showed up at night, but apparently it just depends on whoever is available that day or night to come by, so you might see the same exact ones in the morning and at ngiht, or you may get a whole new crew!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 03-22-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
carolinamama
Mouseketeer

Thanks!!

Anyone else have an opinion about breakfast vs. dinner? I guess this question is really about the ~taste~ of the food. I get that it's a buffet and will only be so good. I am kind of surprised that DLR still uses heat lamps since WDW converted, but I guess that's just yet another difference!

15 Trips to WDW since 1981 - Bay Lake Tower (2013), Port Orleans Riverside (2013), Contemporary (2009), Polynesian (2008), Wilderness Lodge (1995 and 2006), Caribbean Beach (1995 and other prior dates), Beach Club (1996), Disney Inn (1986), Disney Villas And now a Disneyland trip as well! Grand Californian (2010)
Old 03-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

We have had neither a bad dinner or breakfast but it looks like we like the breakfast better than dinner. The day we went, we opened the place and it was very quiet for the 1st hour than it go busy. Many,many characters we spent time with us just talking about the resort.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

We usually do both, and have found more characters at the breakfast/brunch!! The food is good at both, but we enjoy the atmosphere better earlier in the day.

Have fun!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

That's why I recommend the Goofy's breakfast to you - because of the taste of the food! Absolutely! I wouldn't eat there or suggest it to anyone else if I didn't like the taste of the food! I wouldn't care about the variety of dishes to have, I wouldn't care that much about the characters - if the food was not good in quality, you would not find me spending over $30 to eat there each trip every year. There are others who care mostly about the characters at a character meal and food is secondary. I am one who actually likes Goofy's as a restaurant, for the food, and it just happens to have characters there too, which is a bonus! Plus, I can tell you also that any friends I have brought to Goofy's, who were not character meal people to start with, ended up really loving it there because the food is good, and they go back to Goofy's because the food is good. They wouldn't pay that kind of money at all if they didn't like the food, no matter what I said to them. The fruit is so fresh. The bacon is delicious. The mini-muffins are yummy. The variety of items is excellent. It's all great.

Of course, there are probably people who will say that they didn't care that much for the food or that it wasn't great on the day they were there - but that applies to any restaurant in DLR, not just Goofy's! I have seen many bad reviews of the Minnie & Friends food quality, but other folks love it. And restaurants do have off days - I think I have been to Goofy's maybe twice when the food was less than great, but that's over a 17-year period. The other times were good.

Anyway, I think you will enjoy Goofy's if you go. Most of the folks I have referred there from the DIS have ended up having a great time.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
goofycathy
DIS Veteran

Location: ONLY 752 miles north of the happiest place on earth!!!

Personally I liked the breakfast over the dinner. HTH

Me & DH DS16 DS14 DD9

goofycathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
carolinamama
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! I just wanted to hear from lots of people on this. My inclination was to do breakfast, but we always do Chef Mickey's for breakfast in WDW. I'm trying to create a DLR experience without trying to recreate WDW in DLR, KWIM?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: