Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #106
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
Yep. That's why we are going during this trip with the kids back in Texas.
Duh, I missed the without kids part! Have a great time its an amazing display
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #107
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
My wife and I are going to SF on Wednesday, sans DD5 and DS1. We are staying in Union Square, and the Super Sightseeing tour picks you up there and takes you to the Pier 39 area and then to the Walt Disney Family Museum (amongst other places). We'll be doing that on Thursday, which is our 10th wedding anniversary. Finishing off the day with a nice dinner at the Cliff House overlooking the Pacific.

If you are planning on going to the Museum, print this out for $2 off admission (expires 12/31/2011 but it might extend ... check link).

http://www.baycityguide.com/images/c...ttractions.pdf
I used to work at the Cliff House long before I started volunteering at the WDFM. I left the Cliff House 20 years ago, and I do agree that the views can be quite lovely depending upon which table that you get. Without a window seat, much of the charm is gone. If you happen to be in the area of the Cliff House early and find it to be crowded and don't get a "good table," there is a little restaurant up the hill called Louis's. It is owned by relatives of the owners of the Cliff House. Because Louis's is small, there are no "bad tables"; and Louis's is much cheaper than the Cliff House, where a basic omelet can run you around $20. I thought that I would mention this because this would get you a Pacific view on the cheap, and the tables in the back hang over the cliff leaving you feeling as though you are sitting on the edge of the world.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #108
EPCOT66bye
Future World Lead

Hotels near WDFM

What hotels are near the Presidio? We'd like to spend a day at the WDFM and also Exploratorium, which looks to be nearby. Unfortunately, this would be the only time we'd have in SF, so staying close would give us more time in the museums. We'll also be driving to Anaheim for time there.

thanks!

1972 first visit-CR & Poly; 1982 second visit-FW
1989-cast member!-1999
2000-anniversary trip to DL; 2004 "third" visit-off-site
2010 "fourth" visit: ASMu-FS; 2013-Indian Wells vacation home?
EPCOT66bye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #109
ter-moo
Just hand me my Oscar and no one will get hurt...
There are some things that not even the Tag Fairy can delete
You want to lick my keyboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOT66bye View Post
What hotels are near the Presidio? We'd like to spend a day at the WDFM and also Exploratorium, which looks to be nearby. Unfortunately, this would be the only time we'd have in SF, so staying close would give us more time in the museums. We'll also be driving to Anaheim for time there.

thanks!
This one is really close to all of that. It's a newly renovated motel, owned by Joie de Vivre. It has free parking available, which is HUGE! I haven't stayed there, but I've stayed at some of their other properties, and have always been pleased.

http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/sanfrancisco/del_sol

Disneyland~12/69, 6/75, 5/82, 11/90 (DLH), 1/96, 11/97 (Desert Inn), 1/99, 8/01 (DLH), 12/02 (CCI), 12/03 (Carousel), 9/04 (GCH), 7/06 (CCI), 1/08 (CCI), 12/08(GCH), 4/09 (ParkVue), 8/09(DLH),
8/10 (Carousel), 12/10 (Anabella), 8/11 (PPH), 11/11 (BW Stovalls), 12/11 (PPH), 1/12 (Anabella), 2/12 (Leap Day!) Candy Cane...lost count since then!

Walt Disney World~7/71(day trip), 11/05 (POFQ), 11/07 (POR and BC)
ter-moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #110
EPCOT66bye
Future World Lead

thanks, ter-moo...

That looks like a really nice place and convenient, but not quite in our budget. We're traveling for 25 nights, so I'm budgeting about half that a night. Unfortunately, that's a challenge when the rates are higher for a given locale. i'm beginning to see that CA is rather expensive.

1972 first visit-CR & Poly; 1982 second visit-FW
1989-cast member!-1999
2000-anniversary trip to DL; 2004 "third" visit-off-site
2010 "fourth" visit: ASMu-FS; 2013-Indian Wells vacation home?
EPCOT66bye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #111
Miss SD
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ter-moo View Post
This one is really close to all of that. It's a newly renovated motel, owned by Joie de Vivre. It has free parking available, which is HUGE! I haven't stayed there, but I've stayed at some of their other properties, and have always been pleased.

http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/sanfrancisco/del_sol
Thanks for the information about the hotel. Even though we're locals, it looks like a nice spot for a stay-cation. And they allow dogs!
Miss SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #112
ter-moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOT66bye View Post
thanks, ter-moo...

That looks like a really nice place and convenient, but not quite in our budget. We're traveling for 25 nights, so I'm budgeting about half that a night. Unfortunately, that's a challenge when the rates are higher for a given locale. i'm beginning to see that CA is rather expensive.
There are a couple of other less expensive hotels along Lombard Street:

Cow Hollow Inn: http://www.cowhollowmotorinn.com/
Buena Vista Motor Inn: http://www.buenavistamotorinn.com/
Coventry Motor Inn: http://www.coventrymotorinn.com/
Comfort Inn: http://www.sanfranciscocomfortinn.com/

Have you looked into vacation rentals? That might end up being cheaper for you...

The key words you want to look for to be close to the areas you mentioned would be Presidio, Lombard Street, Cow Hollow and Marina District.

Disneyland~12/69, 6/75, 5/82, 11/90 (DLH), 1/96, 11/97 (Desert Inn), 1/99, 8/01 (DLH), 12/02 (CCI), 12/03 (Carousel), 9/04 (GCH), 7/06 (CCI), 1/08 (CCI), 12/08(GCH), 4/09 (ParkVue), 8/09(DLH),
8/10 (Carousel), 12/10 (Anabella), 8/11 (PPH), 11/11 (BW Stovalls), 12/11 (PPH), 1/12 (Anabella), 2/12 (Leap Day!) Candy Cane...lost count since then!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #113
Rynosaur
Mouseketeer

we are heading to san fran this weekend and i am really going to try to make it to this museum. i think we have time saturday to dedicate about 4 hours there
Rynosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #114
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

I now live in Orlando, but I remember walking past a number of lodges on my way to the supermarket after work at the Disney Museum. Since it is now off-season in San Francisco, with October being second only to January for the lowest number of tourists, the hotels on Lombard would be less expensive than their "official" prices of course and be very convenient to the Palace of Fine Arts/Exploratorium and the Disney Museum. My companion and I paid no where near the price per night listed on the door of our room when we went to Disneyland in April of 2006 so October prices are probably much lower than the "retail" (summer rush) price of a room in San Francisco.

I am trying to remember the name of a motor lodge that is right outside the gate of the Presidio about three blocks from the museum. I shall look it up for you. It is maddening not being able to remember the name of a place that I can still see so clearly in my mind.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #115
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

We always stay at the Travelodge Golden Gate - its rates are always less than the Cow Hollow Inn and they are across the street from each other. Corner of Steiner and Lombard in the heart of Cow Hollow - Walkable to the Exploratorium and an easy cab ride/drive to the Disney Museum. Parking at the Disney Museum is free so if you have a car this is an easy 3-5 minute drive from the motels on Lombard St.

http://www.travelodge.com/hotels/cal...hotel-overview
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #116
ter-moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
I now live in Orlando, but I remember walking past a number of lodges on my way to the supermarket after work at the Disney Museum. Since it is now off-season in San Francisco, with October being second only to January for the lowest number of tourists, the hotels on Lombard would be less expensive than their "official" prices of course and be very convenient to the Palace of Fine Arts/Exploratorium and the Disney Museum. My companion and I paid no where near the price per night listed on the door of our room when we went to Disneyland in April of 2006 so October prices are probably much lower than the "retail" (summer rush) price of a room in San Francisco.

I am trying to remember the name of a motor lodge that is right outside the gate of the Presidio about three blocks from the museum. I shall look it up for you. It is maddening not being able to remember the name of a place that I can still see so clearly in my mind.
Was it the Marina Motel?
http://www.marinamotel.com/

Actually THAT one looks really great! (but a little more expensive than the poster was looking for...)
There's another called The Presidio Inn:
www.presidioinn.com/

There's also an Economy Inn just outside the Presidio. Couldn't find a website for it.

Last edited by ter-moo; 10-25-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #117
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

The more that I think about it, the more I think that Hotel Del Sol is the one right outside the Presidio gate. Since that is out of your budget, moving away from the Golden Gate Bridge area up closer to VanEss Avenue will bring down the room rates.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #118
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

visited WDFM on 12/7/11

I was in San Francisco for work, staying at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero Center. This was down in the financial district and when a meeting was canceled, I hoped in a cab and $21 later I was at the Presidio at the Walt Disney Family Museum. And another $20 later I was looking at black and white family portraits of Walt's ancestors in room #1.

The museum may not be a part of Disney Corporation, but the sticker shock is eerily similar. (I spent another $55 on a t-shirt and three pins, but I'm sure you can forgive the splurge.) There is however, complimentary coat check in the basement, next to the women's restroom - convenient!

The exhibits are largely interactive and interesting to an adult audience. I saw a group of young school children being hurried through so perhaps they have special tours and activities for children. Mostly, on this Wednesday morning in early December, it was adult couples - a mix of Baby Boomers and Gen Xers. It took me about 3 hours to tour the museum and I didn't know about the theater so I only explored the 10 rooms, the cafe and the gift shop.

Unlike a typical Disney-fan, I had no plans and no idea what to expect. I was largely pleased with my visit. The one thing I wish I had mentally prepared myself better for was that this is NOT Disneyland or Wald Disney World. I knew I was going to a museum, but I was going to a Disney Museum, so I thought. Basically I was expecting Cast Members - friendly, outgoing people who are ready to answer questions and be helpful. The staff were instead bored, over-educated museum staff. I actually don't know their education, they all just seemed like they had masters degrees from expensive universities in comparative religion and women's studies and were really disappointed in the turn their lives had taken. Anyway, if you want a cab home - you have to beg one of them to #1 look at you, #2 listen to you, and #3 call a cab for you. Good luck!
jegsnakkernorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #119
dwheatl
DIS Veteran
Can you tell I'm a dyed-in-the lime-green-wool DL fan?

If anyone on here is planning to visit the museum soon, Sweet Jack has a half-off coupon. Here's the link : http://sweetjack.com/daily-deal/san-francisco
It's sort of like Groupon. You subscribe, and they have daily deals. If it's not on the daily deal, click on the "recent deals" tab.
WDW trips1985 Newlyweds offsite 1987 With MIL offsite 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006 WDW Dolphin 2012 - Art of Animation
dwheatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #120
PatriciaH
I want to be an Imagineer!

Going next month! Really excited!
78 Off Site, 89 Off Site, 93 Caribbean Beach, 94 Wilderness Lodge, 94 Caribbean Beach, 96 Dixie Landings, 99 Port Orleans, 00 Disneyland Hotel, 01 Coronado Springs, 02 Coronado Springs, 02 Port Orleans FQ, 03 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 03 Marriott DT Disney/Wilderness Lodge, 04 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Disney Wonder, October 04 Living in Celebration and loving it! 05 Paradise Pier/Grand Californian, 07 Disney Wonder, 07 Grand Floridian, 08 Yacht Club, 08 Adventures By Disney Viva Italia/Knights and Lights/DL Paris, 09 Grand Floridian, 09 Candy Cane Inn/1st D23 Expo, 09 Polynesian, 10 Summer Nightastic, 10 F&W's 15th, 11 Candy Cane Inn/DL/DCA, 11 D23 Scavenger Hunt, 11 Wilderness Lodge/F&W/MNSS/HHN/MVMCP/15th Anniversary Trip, 11 Xmas Trip, 12 WD Family Museum/DL Hotel, 12 F&G, 12 Sept Trip, 12 Wilderness Cabins/F&W/HHN/Fall Trip, 13 January WDW Trip, 13 Paradise Pier/DL/DCA/Cars Land, 13 Sea World/Universal/WDW, 13 Disney Dream/F&W, 14 HHN/F&W
224+ out of 224:
PatriciaH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: