Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #91
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

HopStop

Try http://www.hopstop.com/?city=sanfrancisco. It's a great site and can help you get around cities that you're not familiar with.
mytripsandraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #92
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Thanks for the tips!

The car hire is tempting, but not knowing the city roads I think it might be better for me to use local transport (esp when heading back to the airport).

I've checked the hopstop site (neat!) and that gives me an option of getting the BART (which it says is half a mile's walk from the airport) and then change onto the 43 bus which drops me off about another half-mile's walk from the museum. Total time is listed as about around 1h40m including the walking, and the taxi time shows as about the same (1h39m). The taxi cost is around $50 each way, and I'm guessing the public transport option would be a lot cheaper - and probably more fun for a tourist too. How often do the BARTs and buses usually run, in case I just miss one?

Fisherman's wharf / cable car sounds good, especially if I can end up somewhere that is a single BART (underground train, yes?) journey back to the airport for later. Might as well use my tourist stop to get me half-way in the journey!

Any more ideas? Whereabouts are the famous steep hill streets you see on the movies, with the trams running up them? Looking for something iconically San Fransisco that fits in with the route back to the airport!

[Edit: ignore me on that last bit, some Googling later and I see that's what you were talking about! So catch the Powell/Hyde line all the way to the turntable at the end, and get the direct BART from outside Bloomingdales - sounds great]

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 06-07-2011 at 04:46 PM.
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #93
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

BART Schedule

Here's a link with the BART schedules. Be sure to get to the Ferry Building for some great food!

http://www.bart.gov/schedules/bystation.aspx
mytripsandraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 AM   #94
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Thanks for all the help folks, getting kinda excited now!

As someone who knows SF and traffic/etc, do you thinking my timings for the day will work? i.e. flight arrives at 9am, BART/bus over to the WDFM, walk over to the shoreline to see the bridge, then taxi over to the wharf, and then cable car/BART back to the airport for (say) around 7pm for my 8.30pm flight? Don't want to cut it too fine to allow for delays and getting through security/etc (will probably just have a camera bag with me so should be fairly quick at airport, how soon before flight should I ideally arrive?)

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #95
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Thanks for all the help folks, getting kinda excited now!

As someone who knows SF and traffic/etc, do you thinking my timings for the day will work? i.e. flight arrives at 9am, BART/bus over to the WDFM, walk over to the shoreline to see the bridge, then taxi over to the wharf, and then cable car/BART back to the airport for (say) around 7pm for my 8.30pm flight? Don't want to cut it too fine to allow for delays and getting through security/etc (will probably just have a camera bag with me so should be fairly quick at airport, how soon before flight should I ideally arrive?)

Andre
Andre, I worked at the Disney Museum until April 1, 2011, when I left San Francisco to move to Orlando. You don't have to walk to the shoreline to get a good view of the GGB. You can get a beautiful view right out of the back window of the museum, just before you enter Gallery 8. Unless, there is major fog on the day that you are there, it gives you an eye-level view of the Golden Gate Bridge, which would save you some time during your time crunch.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #96
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Yeah, I saw some pics, looks a gorgeous view. I just thought the whole 'standing on the beach' bit might have been even better, but I'll have to see how time goes.

Hope you are enjoying life on the other coast now.

Andre

Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #97
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Thanks so much for this thread. This is something I feel is a must do for me being such a big fan of Walt and Disneyland. It looks fabulous. I need to add this to my big finale trip of California next year.

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #98
peloha86
"Dis"place and the "Dispeeps" my happy place and happy people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Thanks so much for this thread. This is something I feel is a must do for me being such a big fan of Walt and Disneyland. It looks fabulous. I need to add this to my big finale trip of California next year.
It is a must do! Maybe you can squeeze in a Disney Cruise out of LA?
peloha86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #99
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

I'll be going to the WDFM next week. Visiting a cousin in Oakland, so I thought I'd swing over there. Also doing the City, Alcatraz, driving Hwy 1 to Big Sur, wine tasting, Sonoma NASCAR race, and visiting some other family members.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #100
peloha86
"Dis"place and the "Dispeeps" my happy place and happy people!

Bump, it's summer time!
peloha86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #101
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

My wife and I are going to SF on Wednesday, sans DD5 and DS1. We are staying in Union Square, and the Super Sightseeing tour picks you up there and takes you to the Pier 39 area and then to the Walt Disney Family Museum (amongst other places). We'll be doing that on Thursday, which is our 10th wedding anniversary. Finishing off the day with a nice dinner at the Cliff House overlooking the Pacific.

If you are planning on going to the Museum, print this out for $2 off admission (expires 12/31/2011 but it might extend ... check link).

http://www.baycityguide.com/images/c...ttractions.pdf

Last edited by ValpoCory; 08-01-2011 at 01:59 PM.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #102
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
My wife and I are going to SF on Wednesday, sans DD5 and DS1. We are staying in Union Square, and the Super Sightseeing tour picks you up there and takes you to the Pier 39 area and then to the Walt Disney Family Museum (amongst other places). We'll be doing that on Thursday, which is our 10th wedding anniversary. Finishing off the day with a nice dinner at the Cliff House overlooking the Pacific.

If you are planning on going to the Museum, print this out for $2 off admission (expires 12/31/2011 but it might extend ... check link).

FYI The WDFM would be very boring to small children. There is a ton of reading involved
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #103
dwheatl
DIS Veteran
Can you tell I'm a dyed-in-the lime-green-wool DL fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post

Glad you're able to get away for some couple time for your anniversary. Congrats on 10 years, and have a wonderful trip. We went to SF for our 10 year anniversary, but that was long before the Museum was there.
WDW trips1985 Newlyweds offsite 1987 With MIL offsite 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006 WDW Dolphin 2012 - Art of Animation
dwheatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #104
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
FYI The WDFM would be very boring to small children. There is a ton of reading involved
Yep. That's why we are going during this trip with the kids back in Texas.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #105
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheatl View Post
Glad you're able to get away for some couple time for your anniversary. Congrats on 10 years, and have a wonderful trip. We went to SF for our 10 year anniversary, but that was long before the Museum was there.
Thank you! We can't wait.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: