Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
Jdismom
Mouseketeer

Has anyone stayed in Cambria on Moonstone Beach?

Our daughters have never visited CA, so we are planning a trip next year that includes some of the highlights of the state, including Disneyland (of course), Sequoia NP and a couple of days on the Pacific Ocean.

The town of Cambria looks interesting and not as far a drive as Monterrey or Big Sur. We've never seen a beach covered with stones instead of shells and would probably stay across from the Moonwalk.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel for a family of 5 on the beach in that area? And I guess more importantly is the view of the Pacific as spectacular as it is farther up north? I drove up the PCH to San Francisco when I was a teenager and remember being awed by its beauty. I want my girls to have that same experience, but we're starting off in DL and have limited time.
WDW trips: 1976 Royal Plaza Hotel; 1983 Dutch Inn; 1990's: Holiday Inn Family Suites (before Nickelodeon), Orbit 1 condo, Poly; 2000's: Summerfield Suites, Sheraton Safari, FW cabin, Indian Creek house, Caribe Royale, Buena Vista Suites, Pop, Poly, Terra Verde condo, ASMo, Dolphin, POR royal rooms, AoA (20+ trips and counting)!
Disney cruises 2007 Wonder, 2012 Dream, 2013 Dream
Disneyland
: upcoming June 2015
Jdismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdismom View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel for a family of 5 on the beach in that area? And I guess more importantly is the view of the Pacific as spectacular as it is farther up north? I drove up the PCH to San Francisco when I was a teenager and remember being awed by its beauty. I want my girls to have that same experience, but we're starting off in DL and have limited time.
Technically, the Pacific Coast Highway ends around Oxnard. They have a bunch of names, including the Big Sur Coast Highway, North Coast Scenic Byway, and Cabillo Highway (two segments actually). There are a bunch of other names because different cities/counties decided to give their little segment a name.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/LandArch/sc...ays/route1.htm
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

The view in Cambria is not as stunning as farther north, and the town is one street.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
StageTek
It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Quote:
I drove up the PCH to San Francisco when I was a teenager
Be careful to call it "Hwy 1". Some people get technical about the names of the highway.

We love Cambria. The Moonstone is great. We tend to prefer the White Water but it is a longer walk to beach access. We tried the 9 Iron recently and loved it - hot tub, great views, fireplace. You want stunning views try Ragged Point Inn a few miles north.
StageTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Jdismom
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the responses.

StageTek, I will look into 9 Iron, White Water and Ragged Point Inn. Thanks for the useful information. I would like to drive up to the north coast some, but not sure how far we will go since we're also visiting Sequoia for a few days.

Sorry if I offended anyone by using the term PCH. I only visited once when I was a teenager, so I wasn't sure of the local terminology. I just figured everyone would know what I meant. I got that term from Disneyland actually.
WDW trips: 1976 Royal Plaza Hotel; 1983 Dutch Inn; 1990's: Holiday Inn Family Suites (before Nickelodeon), Orbit 1 condo, Poly; 2000's: Summerfield Suites, Sheraton Safari, FW cabin, Indian Creek house, Caribe Royale, Buena Vista Suites, Pop, Poly, Terra Verde condo, ASMo, Dolphin, POR royal rooms, AoA (20+ trips and counting)!
Disneyland
Old 07-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Quote:
Sorry if I offended anyone by using the term PCH. I only visited once when I was a teenager, so I wasn't sure of the local terminology. I just figured everyone would know what I meant. I got that term from Disneyland actually.
I don't think that anyone took offense. I'm one of those who can be pedantic about it, but always with good humor. You've stumbled into one of the areas of NorCal/SoCal debate (which really should be separate states, as both sides disavow the other). PCH is a SoCal term. As bcla and StageTek noted, the beautiful area along the Big Sur Coast is either Cabrillo Highway or, more simply, Highway 1, as it's in Central/Northern California.

-Bob

P.S. The other major difference, which really does grate on my ears, is using the as a preface to a highway number, as in "the 5". A true abomination
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Jdismom
Mouseketeer

Thanks! I always like to be informed. From here on out I will say Hwy 1.
Disneyland
Old 07-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
dfriia
Mouseketeer

Hi,

We stayed at Moonstone Landing and loved it, the beach and Cambria. Highly recommend. I don't know about rooms for a family of 5 though. Here is a link to our blog of arrival, there are a couple of newer relevant entries after that one. It was very scenic!
http://roadtripswithbob.blogspot.com...one-beach.html
dfriia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
Jdismom
Mouseketeer

dfriia, Thanks so much for letting me read your trip report. It was very helpful. I can't wait to see the elephant seals!
Disneyland

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: