Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Our amazing 7-night eastern cruise - 9/26/09

Chapter 1 - The Prelude

Hello, cruise DISers!! This is my fourth trip report in as many trips (although perhaps my food report doesn't count as a *true* trip report...), and hopefully, I'm starting to get the hang of it (although I'm still as long-winded as ever - LOL). I absolutely love reliving my trips through pictures and words, so, for those of you reading, hopefully, you'll be informed and entertained by what I have to say and the pictures I will be sharing with you.

If you've read my past reports, you'll know that DH and I sorta have this arrangement worked out whereby we switch off every other year with a cruise, doing the parks in the off year. So, because we did the parks trip in September, 2008, 2009 was to be our cruise year. However, in the year and a half leading up to the cruise, I somehow finagled a parks trip in March, 2009 too.

This cruise was to be filled with many, many "firsts" for us. It was our first time on the Magic, our first time on a 7-night itinerary, our first (and, sadly, last) trip pulling our 5-year old DD (who hereafter will be known as "The Big") out of school, our first trip as DVC members, our first cruise where we where wholeheartedly participated in DIS activities (Fish Extenders, Secret Mickeys, meets, etc.), and our first time staying at our DVC home - Bay Lake Tower.

Given that we had this trip booked for a year and a half, we had a lot of time to research the activities and excursions that we wanted to do. We decided to do the jetskis at Castaway Cay, an ATV excursion (non-Disney) at St. Maarten, and the Butterfly Farm at St. Thomas, as well as doing Palo brunch, Palo high tea, Palo dinner, and the Tea with Alice with The Big. The Eastern itinerary also has three sea days built in, so we knew that we would also have a lot of time to generally relax aboard the ship. We also attended MNSSHP on September 25th, so my trip report will also include pictures from the party.

Since we were Castaway Club members, we booked the Palo brunch and dinner at the 90 day mark, but were unable to get the Palo high tea reserved through the online system. Being the uber-planner that I am, this failure to score a high tea reservation hit me pretty hard, but I was hopeful that we'd be able to secure a reservation once on board, and I tried not to stress too much about it in the months leading up to the cruise. We also were able to get the Disney excursions booked, and, when one of the DISers on our cruise meets thread found out about the ATV excursion at St. Maarten, we all scrambled to book the first time slot so we could have a big DIS ride. Sadly, the guy who initially found the ATV excursion got bumped from the first timeslot, but I hear that they ended up getting a fabulous ride too.

I guess that takes us through the preliminaries, right up through the week before the cruise. Since DH and I have come to expect some sort of crazy drama right before our Disney trips, my next update will tell you all about the nightmare week we experienced before our cruise.

To all who are joining me so far, thank you very much!

Me (34); DD (9)
December, 2007 Land/Sea Trip Report
9 Days of Disney Dining (Food Report)
March, 2009 Trip Report
September, 2009 Eastern Cruise Trip Report

Next trips: Aulani in September, 2014 and Thanksgiving, 2014 on the Magic (YAY).
Crystal_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

One thing kinda stands out;

Palo
Palo
Palo

Can you say; "my name is Crystal, and I'm a Palo addict"?
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

goofieslonglostsis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Momtotwogirls
Mouseketeer

Hi Crystal! I never actually was able to introduce myself to you, but I did see you around the splash zone a few times eating lunch with your family. Definately did not want to intrude on family time and had to watch my little one in the splash zone. Glad to hear you had a magical trip and can't wait to read it from your point of view.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
NutzaboutDisney
Mouseketeer

Hey there, friend!

Wow, you jumped right on board with this TR! Looking forward to following it, and reading more about your adventures!

TB was absolutely more adorable than I ever imagined she could be!! It was great spending the little amount of time we had with you!

We're still trying to settle back in and Jim is out of town already! Back to reality in a snap!

Have a great week!

me dh
dd16 dd14
ds11 ds11

Man, I love that mouse! Not to mention, his house, his boat, his friends...
NutzaboutDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofieslonglostsis View Post
Can you say; "my name is Crystal, and I'm a Palo addict"?
Yes, definitely! Our charges/tips for Palo rivaled the tips we gave our servers...but it was so well worth it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtotwogirls View Post
Hi Crystal! I never actually was able to introduce myself to you, but I did see you around the splash zone a few times eating lunch with your family. Definately did not want to intrude on family time and had to watch my little one in the splash zone. Glad to hear you had a magical trip and can't wait to read it from your point of view.
Awwww, I wished you would have said hello. I missed meeting so many DISers that I wanted to meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutzaboutDisney View Post
Hey there, friend!

We're still trying to settle back in and Jim is out of town already! Back to reality in a snap!

Have a great week!
Hi there right back 'atcha, friend! I understand what you mean about being back to reality. At least I've had 2 days off before going back to work, though.

Me (34); DD (9)
March, 2009 Trip Report

Next trips: Aulani in September, 2014 and Thanksgiving, 2014 on the Magic (YAY).
Old 10-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Disney Nana 4
Mouseketeer

Hi there! Mt family of 10 is going on the Magic in March, so I really look forward to your trip report and excursion summaries.
Disney Nana 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Nana 4 View Post
Hi there! Mt family of 10 is going on the Magic in March, so I really look forward to your trip report and excursion summaries.
WOW - it sounds like an incredible family trip! Hope my report will be of help to you.

Me (34); DD (9)
March, 2009 Trip Report

Old 10-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Kborn
Would someone please fire me so I can have a day off.........My homeschooler sure has a pretty teacher

OK Crystal...enough working! Start writing, I want to see what we missed

Sounds like everyone had a great time, except for the rain on CC...you know if I would have been there it would have sunshined all day

Keith, Tina and "Lil Man" Josh
Disdad Club Member #407
I will never grow up! I don't have too and you can't make me....
Kborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kborn View Post
OK Crystal...enough working! Start writing,

Sounds like everyone had a great time, except for the rain on CC...you know if I would have been there it would have sunshined all day
Okay...Mister "I work therefore I CRUISE" - LOLOLOLOL. And, yes, of course had you been there, it would have sunshined all the livelong day!

Me (34); DD (9)
March, 2009 Trip Report

Old 10-08-2009, 03:58 AM   #10
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kborn View Post
OK Crystal...enough working! Start writing, I want to see what we missed

Keith, you definately do not know our Crystal yet. She relishes each and every moment she can keep her readers in suspention. And believe me, she's an expert in it. If she finishes this within the month, I'ld be surprised.

And hey, you might've been able to chance the weather at CC, but no way you would've been able to do so at St. Maarten. No Keith-power can trump the rule that it rains and rains and rains and rains oh and rains in our little neck of the world.

Some might say you got of lucky missing this cruise. All I can tell you there were a lot of people walking around the ships thinking there was this big group on there that just got out of the looney bin. Then again, you would've fit right in there.
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
Verandah Lover
Earning My Ears

I'm new to this DIS board thing so I was REALLY excited to see someone who was on the same cruise as we were. We lunched out the first rain under the Pavilion and got back to our room and watched the actual STORM from our verandah. LOVED IT! It did the exact same thing when we went on the land/sea a few years ago. We've come to expect it at CC!

Pleasure meeting you Crystal!
Verandah Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #12
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
All I can tell you there were a lot of people walking around the ships thinking there was this big group on there that just got out of the looney bin. Then again, you would've fit right in there.
LOL -as long as the crazies were having fun (and were being fed)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verandah Lover View Post
I'm new to this DIS board thing so I was REALLY excited to see someone who was on the same cruise as we were. We lunched out the first rain under the Pavilion and got back to our room and watched the actual STORM from our verandah. LOVED IT! It did the exact same thing when we went on the land/sea a few years ago. We've come to expect it at CC!

Pleasure meeting you Crystal!

First of all, to The DIS!!! It's a shame that you couldn't have found us a little bit before the cruise - - we had a fun little group. I bet watching the storm at CC was awesome on the verandah. Not to give any spoilers about my TR, but can I just tell you that we only spent about 2 hours total on our verandah during our entire trip? I told DH that for our next cruise, we're going to book an inside stateroom (for a fraction of the cost) and see how we fare. If we hate it, we can always go back to the verandah, but it's such a waste for us because we just don't use it (although we have good intentions to every time). Also, thanks for jumping on board my TR - - the more the merrier!

To all, I've been super busy at work trying to catch up and get my guys out of town for trial, so I'm sorry for the delay in posting my next installment. It will probably be this weekend, so hang in there with me guys!

Me (34); DD (9)
March, 2009 Trip Report

Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

See, she's already going for the 'a bit more suspension wont kill anybody' approach.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
NutzaboutDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_27 View Post

To all, I've been super busy at work trying to catch up and get my guys out of town for trial, so I'm sorry for the delay in posting my next installment. It will probably be this weekend, so hang in there with me guys!
waiting ever so patiently! On a side note, the friends that surprised us on the cruise booked in August at a cat 11, and they were bumped to a cat 5! WOW, talk about luck. You never know when you'll get some pixie dust spread your way!!! We love our verandah!!! We didn't spend "tons" of time out there, but we had our coffee and chocolate croissants every morning, and wine every night. So for me it was worth it!!!

Quote:
See, she's already going for the 'a bit more suspension wont kill anybody' approach.
all in good time, sweetheart~all in good time!

me dh
dd16 dd14
ds11 ds11

Man, I love that mouse! Not to mention, his house, his boat, his friends...
NutzaboutDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
(I can't believe I'm getting dissed on my own Trip Report - LOLOLOL). Tough crowd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutzaboutDisney View Post
waiting ever so patiently! On a side note, the friends that surprised us on the cruise booked in August at a cat 11, and they were bumped to a cat 5! WOW, talk about luck. You never know when you'll get some pixie dust spread your way!!! We love our verandah!!! We didn't spend "tons" of time out there, but we had our coffee and chocolate croissants every morning, and wine every night. So for me it was worth it!!!
WOW - go your friends - that's awesome!! We had every intention of using the verandah, but just didn't. It's Cat. 11 for us next time, Baby!

Me (34); DD (9)
March, 2009 Trip Report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: