Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
ceopamom3
Mouseketeer

back to back question w/port upgrade - is this possible?

We booked a 4/3 back to back cruise with the kids sail free in a category 4 for January.

We were incredibly fortunate on our first disney cruise this May and were able to upgrade to a Cat. 3 at port.

I would love to upgrade again for our upcoming cruises.

I think we can use the same process of asking to upgrade (if available) at port for the 4 day, but would I need to do the same thing for the 3 day as well? Do you do the whole check in at terminal for the second cruise?

Right now, we have an assigned Cat 4 for the 4 day cruise, but only a guarantee for the 3 day cruise. More than likely we will need to change cabins anyone.... It would be great to change to a suite!

Thanks for any and all help!
ceopamom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You have to ask separately for each leg of the trip. We did a 4 then 3 B2B. We were able to purchase an upgrade on the 4 day, but we were told there was nothing available for the 3 day. It did make me feel better about changing cabins--I was going to have to change anyhow (even though we had booked the same category originally for both legs). Since I was having to move anyhow, having one upgraded made the move worthwhile.

I thought it would be easier to buy an upgrade on the second half since we would be the first people at the port. The CM did check for me, but came back and said that the ship was totally sold out.

You do have to get off the ship between cruises, but only briefly. You get off about 9 and you're back on before 10. You literally walk out with no luggage, thru customs, and back up the stairs. As soon as they are ready, they'll call you over to check in for round 2.

You have a 4 for the first leg and a gty what for the second leg? If it's a gty 4, you have a chance of getting a 3! In any event, the upgrade is a matter of being there early and having it available. Since the suites aren't available on the kids free deal, they may not sell out!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Someone posted about being on a B2B and GS called on the last night of their first cruise to see if they wanted to pay for an upgrade full price for the next cruise. They declined but knew that when they went to the terminal the next morning that an upgrade was available and got it for a fraction of what they had been quoted the night before.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

We just did back-to-backs. When we got off the first time, we checked back in at the port and asked about upgrades. We were sent to the supervisor, who said it would cost $600 to upgrade from a 4 to a 3 for our 4-night. (there were four of us) We chose not to upgrade for that amount. But it was the exact same process as when you initially check in. The only difference the second time is we checked in at the concierge area, and took our photos in the same area. We walked on board just minutes later.

HAL Maasdam Feb. 16, 2003 * HAL Zuiderdam Sept. 7, 2003
DCL Magic Jan. 31, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 17, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 20, 2009 * DCL Fantasy Apr. 27, 2013

OurOhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
ceopamom3
Mouseketeer

Thank you very much for the information

Just a couple packing question, since we do need to change cabins. Is it the same procedure - luggage in hall the night before - and delivered back to your cabin early that afternoon? Did you take a carry-on with swimsuits and the like for turn over day? Do you change servers in the dining rooms for each cruise? My kiddos really liked the server team we had on the wonder last May.

We do have a gty category 4 for the three day cruise - so an upgrade to cat 3 before the cruise is possible - but we'll be happy either way!

Thanks again for all the help!
ceopamom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceopamom3 View Post
Just a couple packing question, since we do need to change cabins. Is it the same procedure - luggage in hall the night before - and delivered back to your cabin early that afternoon? Did you take a carry-on with swimsuits and the like for turn over day? Do you change servers in the dining rooms for each cruise? My kiddos really liked the server team we had on the wonder last May.

We do have a gty category 4 for the three day cruise - so an upgrade to cat 3 before the cruise is possible - but we'll be happy either way!

Thanks again for all the help!
NO! you keep your luggage the last night. If you are changing rooms, your luggage will be held for you at Guest Services. We were told to call them and they would send someone for the luggage, but in reality they never answered the phone and we wheeled it down there. It will be in the cabin at 1:30. You keep anything with you (swimsuits or whatever) that you want before 1:30.

We were called the last night by the dining services and asked if we had any requests--same servers, different servers, specific rotation, Palo? They basically said anything we wanted would be arranged. As it turned out, in the terminal we met a solo cruiser who was also doing B2B. We really hit it off, and they were able to add him to our table.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: