Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
TheTXTaylors5
He's the Mickey to my Minnie

You can never have too much of a good thing!"Turkey Day 2009" 11/09 - 12/09 TR w/Pics

Well, we are heading back to WDW for the third time this year and I am just as excited about this trip as the first. In addition to the three trips to WDW, we went to Disneyland California for the first time this past March. Personally, I think visiting the "original" Disneyland is "a must" for any Disney fan! If you haven't been ... GO!

For those that have never read one of my trip reports, I'll give you some information on us ...

OUR HISTORY
Bill (DH) and I have been married for almost 13 years. "Lucky 13". We are celebrating our 13th Wedding Anniversary at WDW in November. This has been a tradition for the past three years. Bill and I never visited WDW as children. Let's just say, we don't come from "Disney families". My Dad refers to Mickey Mouse as "the rat". Enough said (or rather written). Our other family members and friends don't embrace our Disney obsession either. We get the usual "going to Disney World again!". However, what they don't know or listen long enough to hear is that we bought into DVC (Disney Vacation Club). Heading to Florida is our getaway. They think WDW is just one big amusement park and it is so much more. DH works in IT in a very stressful environment. So, stepping onto the WDW resort property is an escape for him. I am a Stay-at-Home Mommy and when we visit WDW, it is nice to get away from the household responsibilities and just have fun with the family. And have fun is what we do at Walt Disney World.

We visited WDW for the first time in 2004 with then DS4 and DD2. I did ZERO planning for that trip. Fastpasss ... What is a Fastpass? Rider Switch ... What is that? ... ADR (or known then as Priority Seating) ... Can't we just walk up and eat the week of Thanksgiving? Yes, we were that unprepared. However, even with such a poorly planned trip, we had a blast! However, we never really made it out of Fantasyland at the MK and didn't even know about Fantasmic! during our day of fun at DHS. Yes, we only visited two parks that trip. That was because we thought Epcot was only for adults and we weren't paying the outrageous price to see Disney's version of a zoo. Oh how our opinions have changed over the years and our WDW knowledge has been greatly expanded by this great site, travel guidebooks and just reading the WDW site itself. For our second WDW trip, DH found the DISboards and the rest is history ... We have been back to WDW at least once a year sometimes as many as four times a year since our first trip. You could say we were bitten by the Disney bug or rather "magic".

Jennifer
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 11/DLR ~ Avengers 1/2 Marathon Weekend (1st 1/2 Marathon!), 11/AKV ~ Annual Thanksgiving Trip; 2015: 01/DLR ~ Star Wars 1/2 Marathon Weekend (5K & 1/2 Marathon), 11/BCV ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon, 12/AKV & DCL ~ Christmas Trip; 2016: 09/Hawaii ~ Aulani or Disneyland Paris (20th Anniversary Trip)

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 12-07-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
TheTXTaylors5

Cast of Travelers:

Me (Jennifer) - SAHM and self-proclaimed Disney nut.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Rock 'n' Rollercoaster (DHS) (In the name of all that rocks. Hit it dude! - Stacey)
Favorite Disney Character: Snow White (Brunettes need to stick together!)

DH (Bill) - Hard working IT Manager. Our WDW trips are his "escape" from the fast-paced high stress environment of work.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Soarin' (Epcot), Expedition Everest (DAK) is a VERY close second.
Favorite Disney Character: Mickey Mouse (The big cheese himself has always had a special place in DH's heart.)

DS9 - As he gets older, he gets more adventurous. Which makes our WDW trips more and more fun and a different experience for him each new trip. DH and I no longer have to ride RNR and EE alone.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Haunted Mansion (MK)
Favorite Disney Character: Pluto (Boy's best friend. Who doesn't love Pluto?)

DD7 - She is our girly girl. But, still a wild child at heart and up for some of the more adventurous rides at WDW now.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Test Track (Epcot), Space Mountain (MK) is a close second. ("That was awesome!" - DD6 after her very first ride on SM.)
Favorite Disney Character: Ariel

DS4 - He is like most boys his age, he loves anything related to Cars or Toy Story. With each new WDW trip, he is "willing" to ride more rides. A lot of people ask us why we visit WDW so much (usually three times a year). For us, each trip is a different experience and the children can atest to that.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Splash Mountain (MK) (He rode this for the first time this past June and loved it. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is a VERY close second.
Favorite Disney/Pixar Character: Buzz Lightyear (Little Green Aliens from Toy Story close second. He calls them Ewwwwww!)

DN17 - My nephew had been to the Magic Kingdom about four years ago. However, he didn't get to ride any rollercoasters because his step-brother was too scared. This trip, he will get to all four parks and ride rollercoasters until he can't anymore. He is VERY excited!
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 11/DLR ~ Avengers 1/2 Marathon Weekend (1st 1/2 Marathon!), 11/AKV ~ Annual Thanksgiving Trip; 2015: 01/DLR ~ Star Wars 1/2 Marathon Weekend (5K & 1/2 Marathon), 11/BCV ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon, 12/AKV & DCL ~ Christmas Trip; 2016: 09/Hawaii ~ Aulani or Disneyland Paris (20th Anniversary Trip)

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 11-10-2009 at 01:12 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
TheTXTaylors5

Okay, we purposely booked this trip for the week of Thanksgiving. Yes, I know it will be crowded and I may add a few extra gray hairs. But, it has become a tradition with us to celebrate our anniversay, visit my Dad (has a winter home in FL) and spend the week of Thanksgiving and the following at WDW. That second week is kind of like a make-up week for the crowds and chaos in the parks that week of Thanksgiving. If a ride line is too long, we wait and ride it next week. It works out great!

This year is a little different from our past trips. Instead of staying on property for the full two weeks and be in the midst of the holiday crowds, we decided to head off WDW property on Thanksgiving and not return until Monday, November 30th. Hopefully, the holiday crowds go home on Sunday and we can come back to a semi-empty WDW. We'll see ...

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 11-10-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
TheTXTaylors5

This was initially going to a mini-Grand Gathering with my Mom and nephew. However, my Mom had to bow out and now it will just be my nephew with us for week two. I've had to re-work some ADRs and think I finally have our itinerary worked out.

Jennifer

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 11-10-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
TheTXTaylors5

Almost time

I need to start a trip countdown!!!

The suitcases are coming out of the closet!

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 11-10-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
TheTXTaylors5

Our ADRs

Our ADRs:

The Magic Kingdom
Plaza Restaurant (dinner)
Crystal Palace (dinner)
Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch)

Epcot
Le Cellier (lunch)
Les Chefs de France (lunch)
Nine Dragons (lunch)

Disney's Hollywood Studios
Mama Melrose (lunch)
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre (lunch)

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Tusker House (Donald's Safari Breakfast)

Resorts
Boma (dinner)
'Ohana (Character Breakfast)
'Ohana (dinner)
Chef Mickey (breakfast)

Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
TheTXTaylors5

I have neglected this Pre-Trip Report for long enough. This trip is quickly approaching and I am just starting to get organized. Once again, I have tweaked our ADRs. Will this never end?????

Since we plan to be at the Magic Kingdom for Extra Magic Hours on Sunday (November 22nd) evening until 3 AM. Yes, that reads 3 AM! There is no way DH and I are getting up early for Epcot rope drop the next morning. So, I have pushed our Anniversary celebration to the following night. I booked DH and I for a nice romantic dinner at Shula's Steakhouse. This means no Le Cellier. I am cringing at the thought of cancelling my coveted Le Cellier ADR. I know we can't swap ADRs on the DIS anymore. However, I can tell you when I plan to cancel it if you want to scoop it up. PM me. There is no way we can work the Le Cellier ADR into the schedule this trip. It's not going anywhere and I've read Shula's is better anyway. So, that will have to console me until we finally get to eat at Le Cellier. There's always next time?

ADR: Le Cellier (Epcot - Canada)
Date: November 23, 2009
Time: 11:30 am (lunch)

Jennifer

Old 11-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
TheTXTaylors5

Our ADRs: (update 11/10/09)

The Magic Kingdom
Plaza Restaurant (lunch)
Crystal Palace (dinner)

Epcot
Les Chefs de France (lunch)
Nine Dragons (lunch and dinner)

Disney's Hollywood Studios
Mama Melrose (lunch)
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre (lunch)

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Tusker House (Donald's Safari Breakfast)

Resorts
Animal Kingdom - Boma (dinner)
Polynesian - 'Ohana (Character Breakfast)
Polynesian - 'Ohana (dinner)
Contemporary - Chef Mickey (breakfast)

Downtown Disney
T-Rex (lunch)

I know this may look like a lot of ADRs on paper. However, we will be in Florida for two weeks. Staying in a DVC Villa, I WILL cook some meals in the room and may even cancel more ADRs depending on funds (we just booked another Disney cruise on the new ship Disney Dream!!!). However, part of the WDW experience to me is eating in some of the unique restaurants.

Jennifer

Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
TheTXTaylors5

Character Meals:
Usually, we don't stand in line in the parks to meet the characters. I find it a waste of park time. However, we have been known to stop quick in World Showcase if the princesses have no line and Buzz at the MK is a must for DS4 each trip. He usually has no line either.

DS4 with Buzz (MNSSHP)

Besides those, we like to see the characters at a Character Meal. Personally, I like the character meals because you can kill two birds with one stone. The kids get fed and they get to meet their favorite characters that come to them!!!! It's a great concept!!! However, the food is usually nothing to rave about. We have THREE new character meals to try out this trip ... Crystal Palace, Tusker House/Donald's Safari Breakfast and 'Ohana I've read rave reviews on the Tusker House and 'Ohana character meals. So, I am very excited for these two. I could only get Crystal Palace for dinner and really wanted breakfast. So, I may cancel that one. We'll see.

Past Character Meals:
CRT- breakfast (DS4 was there too. But, he was NOT in a photogenic mood that morning. We had an 8:10 am ADR. At least he IS in the "official" photo that came with the meal.)

Chef Mickey - breakfast (three times)

Cape May Cafe - breakfast

We still have so many to try. I like to add a few new restaurants into each trip and eat in some old favorites too. Making new memories.

Epcot:
I still want to try Akershus for breakfast with DD7 one trip. But, not this year. Also, I want to try Garden Grill for dinner in the future. We've walked by that restaurant on our way to Soarin' and everyone always looks like they are having fun and enjoying themselves.

DHS:
My children are all past the Little Einsteins and JoJo age. Even DS4 has moved on. They really need to add a new character meal at DHS. We would all flip, if they had a Disney/Pixar meal. That would be the best and most sought after ADR for sure! Can you imagine your little ones (and big ones) having breakfast with Woody and Buzz or even Mr. Incredible. Are you listening Disney Execs?????

MK:
With the announcement of the new Fantasyland expansion ...

I am curious if the meal at the Be Our Guest restaurant will replace the one at CRT? Is it a character meal? We had breakfast at CRT last year and loved it. Yes, it WAS expensive. But, having breakfast is Cinderella Castle was such a magical way to start our MK day. I highly recommend the CRT breakfast at least once to anyone with a young daughter (ages 3 - 10). My DS4 was unphased and would have rather been riding Buzz. At least DS9 got up and took some pictures with the princesses and DD7 for me.

Jennifer

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 11-10-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
TheTXTaylors5

11 days until we head east for some fun in the Florida sun!

Old 11-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
TheTXTaylors5

We leave for WDW in 8 days!!!!

Old 11-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
TheTXTaylors5

I checked the crowd predictor on TouringPlans.com and it has "8's" for the whole week of Thanksgiving. Yikes!!! Now, I really am glad we are heading to Daytona Beach on Thanksgiving Day. With the holidays come a lot of first time WDW travelers. It will be nice to get away from all the chaos.

Our Daytona Beach hotel is going to have an ocean-front view. I can't wait to wake-up in the morning with the sights of the ocean.

Jennifer

Old 12-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
TheTXTaylors5

To me, there's nothing like Walt Disney World during the holidays. The parks and resorts are so beautifully decorated. It is breathtaking. This year was no different ...

Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #14
rmkstorey
Earning My Ears

Can't wait to hear all about it!

My First Trip Report! (11/23/09 - 11/28/09) Now Completed!

A Very Merry BIRTHDAY to Meee! PTR

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/cvgu09w9kkbkfb9t.png[/img]
Old 12-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #15
TheTXTaylors5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkstorey View Post
Can't wait to hear all about it!
We were at WDW the same time as you. I am off to check out YOUR Trip Report.

Jennifer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: