Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
dfchelbay
DIS Veteran

Potential Budget Buster - Speeding Ticket

DH just called to tell me he got a speeding ticket last night while out of town for work. It was written up for 70 in a 55. Since this took place out of state, in Tennessee, I doubt we will go to court to fight the ticket.

Anyone know/estimate how this will effect our auto insurance. We've had completely clean records til this. We are experienced drivers (25+ years). So, I have no experience with how auto insurance companies will financially stick it to you for a ticket. Is it 5%, 10%, etc. or double...I have absolutely no idea, and I am not about to tip off my insurance company by asking them.

I checked some info on the internet and everything I found said it's probably a three point ticket. Anything 6-15 mph over is three points...seems a bit excessive to me. If you get a ticket for going 6 over, it's three points...geez.

Can you, my budget board buddies, please tell me your experiences with this type of situation. What did you do, how did you handle it, did you go to court to fight it and most importantly how did a speeding ticket affect your auto insurance premium.

Thanks everyone.
dfchelbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Justsyd2
I snorted Coca-Cola out of my nose when he said that! Speaks French when no one else is around. "Why am I covered in feathers?"

DH got one of these not too long ago. Of course we didn't fight it because he WAS speeding. I'm not sure why you want to fight it -- if your DH was speeding then he owes the ticket -- but my DH paid the ticket, and our insurance did not go up.

(Me) (DH)

2010 - Carnival/Paradise - Catalina Island/Ensenada and Disneyland
2009 - WDW/Caribbean Beach Resort
2007 - New Jersey/New York
2006 - Kansas City, Mo
2005 - Carnival/Fantasy - Bahamas
2003 - Big Bend National Park/Port Aransas, TX
2002 - RCC/Rhapsody - Key West/Belize/Cozumel
1998 - Disneyland - 9 times!

Register to remove

Old 09-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
lspst8
Mouseketeer

I unfortunately got a speeding ticket about 2 months ago on my drive home from work. I was clocked going 78 in a 65 zone, so not over quite as bad as your husband. I didn't get any points, and my insurance rates did not change at all. This was my first ticket in about 8 years, and don't have any accidents or other violations on my driving record. I live in Pennsylvania and have State Farm insurance. Not sure how these things differ in different states.

The ticket itself was $109.

PAST TRIPS
Off-site as a child in 1987 & 1989, Doubletree in 1999, POR in 2004, WL in 10/2010

planning first trip with kids for 12/2013!

Last edited by lspst8; 09-25-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: more info added
lspst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justsyd2 View Post
DH got one of these not too long ago. Of course we didn't fight it because he WAS speeding. I'm not sure why you want to fight it -- if your DH was speeding then he owes the ticket -- but my DH paid the ticket, and our insurance did not go up.
I have fought, as has DH (well, we waited on the "plead to the prosecuter" line). We live in NJ, and points can cost thousands of dollars in car insurance premiums (highest in the country as it is), and annual fines. Pleading sometimes costs more, after factoring court costs, but it's worth it to lessen the points.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
dfchelbay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justsyd2 View Post
Just want to fight the 3 points. We will absolutely pay the fine/ticket. Just trying to avoid the four years those points remain on your driving and insurance record. Insurance companies can (and usually do) charge higher premiums because of the points, for a period of four years. That's what I'm trying to avoid.
dfchelbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
msmayor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspst8 View Post
I unfortunately got a speeding ticket about 2 months ago on my drive home from work. I was clocked going 78 in a 65 zone, so not over quite as bad as your husband. I didn't get any points, and my insurance rates did not change at all. This was my first ticket in about 8 years, and don't have any accidents or other violations on my driving record. I live in Pennsylvania and have State Farm insurance. Not sure how these things differ in different states.

The ticket itself was $109.
Insurance companies generally won't assess the points and increase the rates until your renewal period...at least that's how it works in NJ.

Years ago my DH got a speeding ticket about two months after the renewal. 10 months later, when the renewal occurred again was when the points showed up and the three-years of surcharges began. The ticket was $80...surcharges were about $1000 paid over the three years.
Oct 1997: All Star Sports
Oct 2000: Dixie Landings
Aug 2005: Wilderness Lodge
Aug 2008: Shades of Green...Family Grand Gathering
Aug 2010: One Day at MK - cruise stop!
Jun 2014: Boardwalk
msmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Only $80 for a speeding ticket? Sheesh, that's cheap! LOL I got one for going 73 in a 65 and it was about $400 after fees, of course I was speeding so I didn't fight it, I just sent in my fine and chose traffic school. In CA choosing traffic school eliminates any points you may be given, but you can only do traffic school every 18 months I think it is, I don't get many speeding tickets so when I do get them I can do traffic school. So, you pay your fine, court costs, traffic school fees and you're good to go. DBF got a ticket while we were driving in NV, he was able to do traffic school for that one, he just had to chose a traffic school that was approved for NV. The letter they sent detailed the information for him and gave him step by step instructions of what to do. So yes, budget buster for sure, but if traffic school is an option and it won't put points against you do it that way.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Mom2micayla
DIS Veteran

$80 is cheap for a ticket! The one I got for 10 miles over cost me about $200.

Has your husband considered taking a driver's ed course? Often you can do that and the points will be waived for you. I did that instead of paying the fine- I took an online safe driving course (cost me about $40 more than the ticket) and the points were never added to my license. Not sure about there, but here you can do it once every 3 years I think. Just something to look into.

Mom2micayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Joyful3Heart
Mouseketeer

Are you sure he will be assessed points as he was out of state? I live in the tri-state area of Pennsylvania (PA, WV, OH) and PA only puts points on your license for citations issued in PA. I agree that the only reason I would ever fight a ticket would be to have the points reduced or eliminated. Believe it or not, you can still go to the magistrate even if you were speeding. You don't necessarily have to say you weren't speeding but you can bring up mitigating circumstances (like a good overall driving record). Sometimes the magistrate will lower the offense or eliminate the points as long as you pay the fine. Personally, though, I wouldn't fight a ticket out of state, it would probably be more time/stress/aggravation than it is worth.
Joyful3Heart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
maggieusa
Mouseketeer

When your insurance is renewed it may go up Can he go to driving school to have the points taken off of his licence.
maggieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

Do they not have deferred disposition or adjudication in that area? (i.e. rules around here can vary depending on area, but I think it is generally you pay a fine, but as long as you don't get another ticket within a specified amount of time, it is wiped off your record. We can also do the defensive driving route.) I hope for your sake they do offer these. Best of luck!

Last edited by branv; 09-25-2009 at 12:49 PM.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
eyeheartgoofy
DIS Veteran

Sorry! I feel your pain. After 20 years with a spotless record, I was ticketed for going 30 in a 25 earlier this month. Two points on my license and a $120 fine. But, like you, my biggest worry is the increased insurance premiums ... our policy is up for renewal next month.
eyeheartgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
lynr
How the heck were you missed!
Got instant approval
Just pull up a lounge chair and enjoy

My DS got a ticket in NY going a lot faster than your DH and it never showed up on his license at all. He did have to pay a hefty fine of $575 dollars.

We wrote a letter to the judge at the court listed on the ticket and they reduced how faster he was going but the fine was still there. I assumed the ticket would show up on his driving record but I guess since we live in NJ and he got the ticket in NY they didn't do anything with it.

Hopefully the same will happen for your DH.

11/27 -12/7/08 CHRISTMAS TRIP BC/AKL
10/2 - 10/7/10 Wilderness Lodge
lynr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

You can fight a speeding ticket through the mail Here is one article on it. http://www.articlesbase.com/law-arti...ke-607537.html
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
Floridagal23
DIS Veteran

You can usually do a driving school either in person or online and that will probably get rid of 2-3 of the 4 points BEFORE your insurance gets reassessed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: