Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
blondinkaya
DIS Veteran

Panicking for Friend

My friend decided yesterday to visit WDW 9-12 Oct. It's been years since she last went, and she didn't even know the names of the parks until I told her. I gave her my Passporter to look over, but I don't know what else to do.

She's asking for my input. She's going to do MK one day and Epcot on another, and that's it. She will be staying offsite. I told her that I would go to Epcot on the 9th, since it's a MNSSHP night at MK and I know she'd like to make the most of the day and see Wishes. I also said that I'd go to MK on Saturday. Or would Sunday be better? No matter what, it's going to be crowded because of F&WF and the holiday. I've been to WDW only in early may and mid-November, so I have no idea how the crowds are going to be.

She's married w/no kids (dh is coming with her). Anyone want to take a gander at suggesting itinerary ideas? Would what's in the Passporter (on the other side of the park maps) be a good plan for them? Space Mountain's down, so at least she won't have to worry about getting a FP for it. Oh ... And I already explained FP and told her to get there before rope drop, which she replied she was already going to do that. I also made a couple of restaurant suggestions (Biergarten or the fixed menu at Chefs, to help keep costs down, as opposed to the $59 lobster at Narcoossee's ) and said that she has to make ADRs if she want's a sit down meal (I checked and both had openings earlier today) and that I would help her with that.

TIA!
blondinkaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
figmentgirl
DIS Veteran

You're a good friend!

Don't panic. It's not a super busy time of year and your friend doesn't have kids so she should be fine. My husband and I went to WDW early May this year and it was wonderful and romantic. We saw everything and never had much of an issue with waits. I would strongly reccomend she buy AND read the Unofficial Guide but besides that she should be OK.

If she has the cash tell her to make reservations at Victoria and Alberts in the Grand Floridian for a truly romantic night. If the cash isn't there perhaps a step down at Citricos? DH and I loved both!

October 2010 Dolphin
March 2010 Poly
May 2009 Poly
2005 YC
2004 Celebration Hotel
1996 CBR
1994 Poly
1990 Poly
Many trips as a child...
figmentgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondinkaya View Post
My friend decided yesterday to visit WDW 9-12 Oct. It's been years since she last went, and she didn't even know the names of the parks until I told her. I gave her my Passporter to look over, but I don't know what else to do.

She's asking for my input. She's going to do MK one day and Epcot on another, and that's it. She will be staying offsite. I told her that I would go to Epcot on the 9th, since it's a MNSSHP night at MK and I know she'd like to make the most of the day and see Wishes. I also said that I'd go to MK on Saturday. Or would Sunday be better? No matter what, it's going to be crowded because of F&WF and the holiday. I've been to WDW only in early may and mid-November, so I have no idea how the crowds are going to be.

She's married w/no kids (dh is coming with her). Anyone want to take a gander at suggesting itinerary ideas? Would what's in the Passporter (on the other side of the park maps) be a good plan for them? Space Mountain's down, so at least she won't have to worry about getting a FP for it. Oh ... And I already explained FP and told her to get there before rope drop, which she replied she was already going to do that. I also made a couple of restaurant suggestions (Biergarten or the fixed menu at Chefs, to help keep costs down, as opposed to the $59 lobster at Narcoossee's ) and said that she has to make ADRs if she want's a sit down meal (I checked and both had openings earlier today) and that I would help her with that.

TIA!

Only 2 days is so short and not enough for anything. Is she and her DH into rides or they mostly walk around, dine around people? I would suggest California Grill and Spirit of Aloha as well as Marokesh(SP?) Cannot advice on days, I do not use calendar but I always go around extra hours.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

First of all, if your friend isn't in panic mode, you shouldn't be. Clearly this is a couple of days at Disney as part of a larger trip and not "a Disney vacation." You need to recognize that they're two different things!
  • I would make sure that they have lists of "must dos" for each park and know how to do them in the best order (don't go back and forth from Pirates to Buzz to Splash, since that's a LOT of walking ... help plot a logical path around the parks for their must-sees).
  • If F&W is going on, they may not even need ADRs for their Epcot day, as they could easily eat their way around World Showcase and just nibble all day.
  • Saturday and Sunday at MK will be about the same, so they should go on whichever of those they feel like going.
  • If the plan is to see Wishes on her MK day, then one of the MK resorts where they can watch from the restaurant might be a nice choice.

The biggest thing, though, is for YOU to realize that she isn't trying to (nor does she have to) see everything in these two days. Don't go into "full MK touring mode". She's obviously not trying to do a full-out Disney vacation, so don't stress trying to plan one. Just help them find the highlights and give them the benefit of your park knowledge to provide helpful hints.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Mrs.Toad
The poster formerly known as AnaheimGirl
A frequent eye-roller and one who has also, um, danced in a cage
Likes to catch the early edition of Poo Watch in the morning

Well, if I was her, I'd go to MK on Saturday vs Sunday. It's open till 1:00am that Saturday, and "only" till 11:00 on that Sunday (for off-site guests, EMH will keep it open until 2:00 for on-site guests, but that doesn't help them out.)

I'd suggest staying in the park on Saturday, then after a relaxing day at their resort on Sunday, heading to an MK area resort to watch Wishes again from either the restaurant, or the Poly beach. They could also hang out there and watch the EWP, for a little extra WDW without needing another day's ticket.
Mrs.Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
blondinkaya
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't get back sooner; youngest ds wasn't feeling very well yesterday evening.

This trip isn't part of a larger trip at all. Both of them are active duty, and one is deploying later in the month and the other one is retraining. They just heard about the military ticket deal (I thought they already knew; otherwise I would've let them know MUCH earlier!) and wanted to make some use out of it. They're heading down on the 8th (in the evening) and have the 9th, 10th, and 11th, before heading back on the 12th. They can't get any additional time off to do more, and my friend told me that they want to get as much in because they don't know where they'll be next year or any year after. Hopefully they'll get hooked on it and want to go back, but as it is now, it's sounding like this is it for them. That's why I'm stressing. They want 2 days at Disney and a day at Universal (I'd prefer them to spend 3 days at WDW, but that's my bias peeking through ). I want them to have a good time and walk away feeling like they haven't missed out on anything.

So ... Do they really want to try to see it all? The impression I got was yes. I know that's not possible and shouldn't even be attempted, so I need to prioritize. I figured they could do the headliners first and then bump it down the chain. Either case would result in the "big" attractions being seen, kwim? They definitely want the rides, but they're looking forward to touring the World Showcase as well.

I didn't even think of nibbling around the World, but that's a great idea. I don't think that they're going to want to sit down for a long time for meals, but I'll definitely ask today. That would certainly affect their use of time in the park (especially if they want both lunch and dinner as sit-downs).

I'm used to earlier closings, so I'll double check the park hours; that will definitely affect their touring plans.

Thanks for all the advice and for reminding me that this isn't my trip. And, if they aren't freaking, I shouldn't be. As long as they don't start freaking two days before they go; that would be a doozy for me!
blondinkaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Since they are active duty they will have the park hopper option so that will give them more of a chance to see all of the parks. I am no expert by any means but what about having them do AK & DHS the same day??
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
bgohre
Always be the second one in the outhouse. It's going to smell anyway so you might as well have a warm seat.

A true friend would offer to go along as a guide. You woudn't want her to miss anything now would you?
bgohre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

I would suggest hoppers and only MK and Epcot. They can go to MK full day and then in the morning again to hit what they missed. MK got much more to do then Epcot. Then around noon they would hit Epcot, all you have to do there is TT, they can just stand in line, MS usually short line and FP for Soarin which at noon probably will have return time in the evening, which is OK, They can explore World Showcase the whole remaining of the day, more then enough to get familiar and in the evening they will ride Soarin and then watch Illuminations. I would really do only 3 rides at Epcot with such a short trip, they also can eat at one of Epcot restaurants, I would suggest french one. They can also eat at one of the resorts the evening they arrive, I would go with Spirit of Aloha. I would advice against Universal for another day at WDW but it is their trip after all.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Chkultr
Mouseketeer! Day One D23 Charter Year Member! Shareholder!

true

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgohre View Post
A true friend would offer to go along as a guide. You woudn't want her to miss anything now would you?
Now we are on the same page!!!!
2002 DASMO 2004 Pop Century 2005 Backstage Tour (honeymoon)
2006 Pop Century 2007 Pop Century (April inline marathon)
2007 DASMU (Oct) 2008 DASMU (Oct) Dive Quest (Oct) 2010 DASMU Dive Quest
Food & Wine Fest FAN!
Chkultr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

I look at it this way . . .

1) WDW gets 40-million and 45-million visits a year.
2) They all do not buy guide books.
3) Yet, they manage.
4) I would not fret for your friend.
5) Sure, she might not get all the benefit tha come from advance planning.
6) But, she will get enough to have a blast.
7) With all of its faults and cost cutting, it's still the favorite vacation destination.
8) And, for good reasons !
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgohre View Post
This is what we did last year. My sister came along and was my tour guide as she had been to Disney many times and this was my kids and my first time. This year she is coming along again and this time next week my girls and I will be on the road there while Sis will be flying on Saturday.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
BYC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
I would suggest hoppers and only MK and Epcot. They can go to MK full day and then in the morning again to hit what they missed. MK got much more to do then Epcot. Then around noon they would hit Epcot, all you have to do there is TT, they can just stand in line, MS usually short line and FP for Soarin which at noon probably will have return time in the evening, which is OK, They can explore World Showcase the whole remaining of the day, more then enough to get familiar and in the evening they will ride Soarin and then watch Illuminations. I would really do only 3 rides at Epcot with such a short trip, they also can eat at one of Epcot restaurants, I would suggest french one. They can also eat at one of the resorts the evening they arrive, I would go with Spirit of Aloha. I would advice against Universal for another day at WDW but it is their trip after all.

This just shows how different Disney is for different people. Magic Kingdom without children can be done in 3/4 of a day for me, at the most! I think it has the least to do for adults than any of the parks. And without Space Mountain, I'd be outta there by 1:00! I can't believe you think MK has more to do than Epcot! Different strokes for different folks!
BYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
Ctsplaysinrain
DIS Veteran

Just wondering if they have considered staying at Shades of Green? It might be a better deal for them and then they would be on -property
Ctsplaysinrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
figmentgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctsplaysinrain View Post
Just wondering if they have considered staying at Shades of Green? It might be a better deal for them and then they would be on -property
That's a great question!

Do they know Shades of Green is an "on property" Disney hotel for militarypersonally and their families only?

October 2010 Dolphin
March 2010 Poly
May 2009 Poly
2005 YC
2004 Celebration Hotel
1996 CBR
1994 Poly
1990 Poly
Many trips as a child...
figmentgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: