Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #3631
TEminnie
TFW/Facebook Addict

oh yeah! senators have only 6 years! I'm pretty sure I knew that....just like I was pretty sure I knew the capitol of Canada on the quiz today.....had no clue about the prime minister or chief export tho!

Anyone???

A Rednecks Guide to Paris: TFW post 1606, 1622, 1636, 1651, 1680,1737, 1769,1964
Old 02-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #3632
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurrrvtheDuck View Post
CE: for your family on that difficult decision
Thanks, Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEminnie View Post
missed this post earlier

Talk to her doctor about her social anxieties--she may certainly need some meds which can improve her quality of life greatly. Also I would speak to the activities director---I talk to ours daily and we work out plans for specific residents--some are very social and never miss BINGO or my classes! And others like small groups---we have volunteers that come and read to them in small groups or individually and we have church singings every night so many enjoy that. For our memory impaired, we have diversional activities more suited for them---oddly enough, the ladies in that group enjoy sorting laundry! Tell your mom not to feel guilty either--it's often harder on the family when their loved one is in a facility--but 9 times out of 10, they do much better and are more socially active than they would be at home. Make sure she has a good room mate too---ours form lasting bonds and they look after each other (and then sometimes they annoy the crap outta each other!) Social workers help with that!
Thanks, hon. She's on "mental meds" already - has been for many years... She was actually hospitalized in a mental unit for a bit when I was in college and really hasn't ever been the grandma I remember ever since... We were really close, but now she's nervous to even talk too much to me, because "well, CE knows that I have problems, what must she think about me?" Sigh. For a while, they had her overmedicated and she was really, really not there, but for the last five or so years, it's been better.

It's a really small facility in a town of 1100, but it's her hometown that she's never lived outside of, so it's OK. I just don't know how much they get volunteers and stuff. Mom goes about every day.

She doesn't have a roommate right now - her previous one died around the first of the year (happened to be my h.s. sweetheart's grandma - like I said, it's a small town. ) She's been in the nursing home since, what? July? She was there when I was home in August. She definitely has been better off there than home, because she does actually interact there - like I said, I half expected her to "give up and go" not long after my grandpa, because he was the one to make her get out in the world before he died. She's done better than I figured, that way.

In some ways, I feel so sad about the idea of her being gone, on the other, as I said, she's been gone in some ways for 15 years, so...

Quote:
oh yeah! senators have only 6 years! I'm pretty sure I knew that....just like I was pretty sure I knew the capitol of Canada on the quiz today.....had no clue about the prime minister or chief export tho!

Anyone???
Hmmm. I saw the PM on the opening ceremonies, but can't remember his name - Michael something? Chief export... Oil, maybe? The Yukon surely is full of it. Maple syrup? (JK, Lessa... Sorry! )

D decided to go out to eat/drink with a fellow pilot (nice guy, no worries. ) and so the boys and I did fast food after their tennis and I'll use the defrosting meat for one of my "make ahead, take to Maine" dinners. However, I told D that I thought I needed some wine tonight, and he agreed that it was a fine night to break our weeknight rule (especially since he was going out. ) I've been sitting messing on iTunes and being here for a bit now, watching the Olympics and enjoying some wine.

Woody talked to the friend upon whose recommendation we depended for the karate dojo, and he's decided to do karate and baseball, too. I was very bummed thinking that tonight was the last tennis (there's nothing next week due to the vacation, then a new session starts) but I have a feeling we'll be back to something with it once baseball ends. Still hoping to find a smaller group for what they call the "semi-private" lessons that would be nearly as cheap, but much more instruction, either for summer or fall. And if not, it's not like I'm giving it up, so it's all good.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #3633
Muffinygood
Proud DVC owner at SSR

Just wanted to say hello. NotBob was in China and Japan for 3 weeks so I had my MIL up to visit. We got tons of unpleasant (but necessary) cleaning done. It feels really terrific to get it done. I was still glad to put her on the plane to go home yesterday, though. LOL
I saw Dr Siegel on Tuesday. Unfortunately, it's more bad news. He is doing more surgery to remove a stitch that broke INSIDE my eye. Blech!!!
I'm not terribly worried, more worn out, IYKWIM?
I am soooooo looking forward to Disney and seeing good friends! Also, I wanted to say that, as always, your comments, support and humor keep me in such good spirits. Thanks, friends!!!
Sadly, that's all that's up in MI. The weather sucks and I long to see the sun. Both boys are doing great. SD turned 17 last week.
Can't believe that......
Going back to the gym 3 days a week starting tomorrow. Ugh.
Miss you all!

Mel
Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #3634
Muffinygood
Proud DVC owner at SSR

Darn iPod. Dbl post....

Mel
Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #3635
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinygood View Post
Just wanted to say hello. NotBob was in China and Japan for 3 weeks so I had my MIL up to visit. We got tons of unpleasant (but necessary) cleaning done. It feels really terrific to get it done. I was still glad to put her on the plane to go home yesterday, though. LOL
I saw Dr Siegel on Tuesday. Unfortunately, it's more bad news. He is doing more surgery to remove a stitch that broke INSIDE my eye. Blech!!!
I am soooooo looking forward to Disney and seeing good friends! Also, I wanted to say that, as always, your comments, support and humor keep me in such good spirits. Thanks, friends!!!
Sadly, that's all that's up in MI. The weather sucks and I long to see the sun. Both boys are doing great. SD turned 17 last week.
Can't believe that......
Miss you all!

Mel
Happy birthday to SD! Good to see you Mel, I was just thinking I hadn't seen you here lately.
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Old 02-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #3636
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Morning, Mel!

I'm sorry about the eye thing. I guess it's good that you're not worried, but I do understand the "I'm done with this" aspect.

Hi, friends!

I have a busy day in store, I think. I have tennis at 9:00, then I need to go to Target. The boys have their second karate intro today at 3:00, which was dumb of me as that means not only picking them up from school, but really having to be at the front of the pick-up line. They are dismissed at 2:45, but it can be 3:00 before you even get to them if you don't get there really early. Sigh. But, I think he has classes that start at 3:30, so squeezing us in then makes some sense.

So, I need to make some coffee, then think about getting moving. Have a good day!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #3637
HomeschoolMama
I raise kids... What's your super power?

Quote:
I am soooooo looking forward to Disney and seeing good friends!
Good friends?

Only 20 days!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #3638
jcc0621
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
Well he was very good at it
Most are

Quote:
Janet---school is now ending 6/11 and that's the last day it's supposed to be without state intervention....we leave for Paris on the 16th.........tickets are booked.........
That's earlier than here. We aren't done until June 17th and they haven't added the snow days back yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1111 View Post
We leave Sunday afternoon - we have the house from Sunday late p.m. until early Saturday morning. We'll just drive up - it's about 4 hours to where we go - and settle in Sunday. So far, the plan is skiing Monday/Tuesday, maybe take a day off Wed. Look at the weather, then probably ski Thursday, not Friday, then pack up Saturday morning, go ski, then drive home from the ski area as we have to be out of the house for good.
Sounds fun.

Quote:
I parked my explorer at the bottom of the mountain last nite and walked up...so I could get out if I really wanted to...couldn't get groceries yesterday cause I didnt want to carry them uphill...but I'm ok. Daran's parents are coming here to pick her up...and his plane is still scheduled to take off in 4 minutes.....then he can plow the driveway tonite!
I see how this conversation went...I honey, I'm glad you are home, yeah...yeah I missed you....now plow the driveway

[QUOTE=KatGarcia;35475631] [COLOR="Indigo"]I passed the census test. so now i wait until they maybe call. [/QUOTE}

Congrats and will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Quote:
Crazy day at work yesterday (as predicted). FYI try to not go to the hospital after a holiday.
My gf who works in a hospital said the same thing to me on Tuesday

Quote:
chief export tho! Anyone???
Lessa?????

Quote:
Woody talked to the friend upon whose recommendation we depended for the karate dojo, and he's decided to do karate and baseball, too. I was very bummed thinking that tonight was the last tennis (there's nothing next week due to the vacation, then a new session starts) but I have a feeling we'll be back to something with it once baseball ends. Still hoping to find a smaller group for what they call the "semi-private" lessons that would be nearly as cheap, but much more instruction, either for summer or fall. And if not, it's not like I'm giving it up, so it's all good.
Sounds good. How often will karate be?

Quote:
Can't believe that......
Miss you all!

Mel

All is right with the world again. Mel has posted first

about the surgery.

Happy Birthday (Belated) to SD

+++++++++++++++++++++

At work GOt here early becasue I have to leave early to pick Jimmy up. Jim has Interim Report Card COnferences tonight so he won't get home until about 9:00 tonight. The sad part is if 10 parents show up out of the 1000 or so he sees daily it will be alot

The school district put in for a waiver of having to make up the snow days. They should know something next week. People are hopeful since the GOvernor declared a state of emergency. If they deny it, it looks like they are going to take part of Easter Break, Election ay, and 2 half days instead of adding days on to the end of the school year, which I like so much better

That's it from me for now. Have a great day everyone

SAVING TO GO TO DISNEYLAND
Old 02-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #3639
jcc0621
DIS Veteran

Morning CE and Dawn

CE - You really need to get out more

Dawn - 20 days

SAVING TO GO TO DISNEYLAND
Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #3640
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Obviously the chief export of Canada is hockey players!

I would probably go with oil and natural gas.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #3641
Flora
Mouseketeer

Quote:
DM: let us know how Shutter Island is...I saw the previews and think I know the ending. I feel like reading the book first though.
I will, promise. I think I'll read the book afterwards.

I read everyone's, I really did, but I've gotta get in the shower. Rob & I are taking the kids to Fun Junction today. It's a place that has laser tag, mini bowling, arcades, etc. They've been bugging us to go for awhile now, so today is the day!

Have a great Thursday everyone.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #3642
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Just to let you know I'm safely at my Mum's because I know how you all worry
Old 02-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #3643
Disneyland_Mama
His head instantly inflated!!!
I don't suck!!! I ROCK!!!
DIS juices are a flowin'!!

Hi Peeps!

Just poppin' in to say Good Morning. I'm off to Kindergarten and then to 2nd grade... oh fun, fun, fun!

Later!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #3644
askelton
Disney Cosmo

Quote:
Just wanted to say hello.
Hi another stranger. I hope you come here more often and bring Michelle back.

Quote:
I saw Dr Siegel on Tuesday.
Has he given you and indication when this will be over?

Quote:
I have a busy day in store, I think.
Yea, because you aren't busy most days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc0621 View Post
The school district put in for a waiver of having to make up the snow days.
That sounds like a much better deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
Obviously the chief export of Canada is hockey players!
That's why the NHL is better than the American team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Rob & I are taking the kids to Fun Junction today.
Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
Just to let you know I'm safely at my Mum's because I know how you all worry
We were wondering. I hope you're all feeling better too.

I've been reading the blog of a soldier's wife whose husband died in Iraq. It's an older blog and she started it a year after he died as therapy but also for her son who was 10 months old when his father died. It's very heartfelt with some sadness, but not too much. She's talking about her two year old son having to pay $4400 in taxes from his father's death benefits. Like I said, it's an older post, but if that is still true, that makes me ill. I know we all pay taxes, but I think there needs to be exceptions. Like when your father dies fighting for our country! Someone posted a comment that her husband chose to do that job and she should be glad she received anything. Stepping off my soapbox now.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #3645
rachel3
DIS Veteran

just stopping by to say hello! that is, if anyone remembers me. lol just been very busy. i keep up with facebook on my phone, but it's too hard to keep up here with the phone and i haven't had much time for the computer.

so, how is everyone? hope all is well. if anyone would like to give cliff notes, i would love it.

hopefully, i will be able to check in more often.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: