Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
testifyoncruises
Mouseketeer

Thumbs down Why do parents insist on bringing gifts when the invite says "No Gifts!"

DP and I are planning a limo ride to the Melting Pot for chocolate fondue for DD and six of her girl friends for her birthday. We got into a big discussion about putting No Gifts on the invitation since our child is certainly not for want.

We have been to other no gift parties and at almost every single one of them, almost every single kid but ours brings a gift. We have been told by other parents 'We just wouldn't fee right not bringing a gift.' We just respond that we like to follow the requests of the invitee.

So the question is, if the invite says no gifts do you bring no gifts? And if you do, WHY?
testifyoncruises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

I bring a gift because growing up it would be considered rude to go to a celebration such as a birthday empty handed. I also will bring cake or something when I come to your house for coffee. I would be very uncomfortable going to a party and not bringing a gift.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
DearDaisyinDurham
I'm trying not to look at the poutine, it's my weakness

First of all, going to the Melting Pot, yummo! Very fun.

Can you donate the gifts to a womens' shelter? There are always children there & the gifts could go to a girl in need. Just a thought.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
JerseyJanice
RIP, Max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
I bring a gift because growing up it would be considered rude to go to a celebration such as a birthday empty handed. I also will bring cake or something when I come to your house for coffee. I would be very uncomfortable going to a party and not bringing a gift.
What MHM said.
JerseyJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

Quote:
This is the way I was raised as well - although if the request was "no gifts", I would go with something "smallish" or something rather unusual..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and thatís where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
testifyoncruises
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Just know that the person who put on the invite no gifts is going to think a person arriving with a gift is very rude for not respecting their wishes.
testifyoncruises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Perhaps, instead of writing, "no gifts" you could ask for donations to a local charity? For example, if your DD loves animals, why not ask for donations (such as pet food and supplies - you can normally get a list of things that they need off of their website) to a local animal shelter instead of gifts?

That way, people still feel like they are bringing "something" and you still get your "no gifts" request.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Quote:
Originally Posted by testifyoncruises View Post
Just know that the person who put on the invite no gifts is going to think a person arriving with a gift is very rude for not respecting their wishes.
I can understand that but let's turn it around and I would say that the person making any request about gifts is rude.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
C.Ann
We'll remember when...

Quote:
I don't think you can speak for everyone.. If I were the person who made the request, I would not think a person arriving with a gift anyhow was "rude" at all.. If anything, I would assume that they were raised the same way that I was..

Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
RNMOM
BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL

Perhaps if you really don't want gifts for your daughter you can give them something else to donate to. A collection of money for the charity of your choice or some other charity in your area. This would be a way for all the guests to feel good about their own donations.

I kind of think people give gifts for themselves as well as for the recipient. Why else do we try to have the nicest and best wrapped, etc?
RNMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
PolyndianPrincessJes
Alias: TotalSnowWhite
I'm a Snapfish/Shutterfly/Winkflash addict
Yes, you totally can do that, and I do!!!

We've been to a few "No-Gifts" parties, but like PPs, I always feel a little akward not bringing something. I'll usually bring something like a little candy basket or a gift card that won't clutter someone's home/room, just a small gesture of acknowledgment and appreciation. If someone thinks I'm rude, that's ok. They wouldn't say anything about it, otherwise they'd be as guilty of rudeness as I was.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
DearDaisyinDurham
I'm trying not to look at the poutine, it's my weakness

Quote:
OP, the thought behind wanting no gifts is a good one - if you think that people will brings gifts anyway, can you explain to the girls bringing the gifts, that the gifts can go to a charity where they are needed? You don't want the girls to feel bad for bringing a gift.

It's nice that the party focus is on having a good time together & not the gifts. Maybe you can look into making a donation to the food bank as well, for the same amount as dinner?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
disneyfan123
He got my hubbies steak once
Still crazy about that boy!

My hubby and I just adopted our kids 4 months ago and they both had December birthdays. We told everyone that they were already getting spoiled and not to bring a gift, well everyone else also wanted to spoil them so they got a LOT of gifts. The funny thing was that for my daughters party she had no interest in all in opening her gifts, all she wanted to do was play with her cousins. Same thing happened at Christmas, to her getting cousins was a pretty big gift.
Jan 2008 SSR
Jan 2010 - Animal Kingdom Studio Savannah View!!
March 2011 - Offsite
October 2012 - Bonnet Creek

disneyfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #14
shortbun
Peacenik

Our group has NO trouble with 'no gifts.' I find this interesting. Perhaps it's because for years we ALL asked for charitable donations to organizations such as Heifer and Homeless Families Foundation. If my son wants to get a friend a gift and the party reads 'no gifts', he gives his friend a gift at a different time. He has a couple of friends with whom he swaps presents traditionally. Lately they are trying to outdo each other in a 'Chuck Norris' theme,lol!

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #15
C.Ann
We'll remember when...

If the OP is so worried about receiving unwanted gifts, then something should have been written on the invitations along the lines of: "In lieu of gifts, please feel free to make a donation to _________ - or the charity of your choice.."

Problem solved..