Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
kandb
DIS Veteran

When did you start giving table foods to your baby?

My son will be 8 mo. when we go to disney in 2 weeks. I currently give him mashed bananas and pears. Will I be able to give him foods off the buffet, like mashed mac and cheese and tiny pieces of pizza? Is it too early? Thanks for input, Linda
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
alyssa810
It's much more fun on the boat
Must have creme brulee

I would say to give him things he's already familiar with at home, don't try anything crazy while you're on vacation. Our DS first had WDW table food when we took him when he was about 8 months old, and it was french fries that we broke up into tiny pieces. At home I started giving him more table food when he was between 9-10 months old, but he'd been eating soft things like yogurt before then.
annual trips since 1997! some highlights: 1st trip Feb 1985**1st onsite WL 11/2002: ENGAGED @ MK**Honeymoon @ DLP- NB 4/2004**DVC members and our OKW love affair begins 12/2004**29th b-day@DLH 8/2005**Joel's 1st trip 12/2007 CBR**back to DLP-SL 6/2010**GCV 9/2011 Happy 4th B-day Joel!***ASMu & BCV 9/2012***OKW1/2013***GCH & GCV 2/2014***OKW 2/2015 40+ trips and counting!!

8 Parks in 9 Months (part II)TR here! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2439987
8 Parks in 9 Months (part III)TR here! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post37117909
alyssa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

My DS would never eat baby food or cereal so he was eating table foods by 6 months or slightly earlier, I frankly don't remember exactly!
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
djp0630
DIS Veteran

Hmm, that's a good question. I know by the time he had his 9 month appt, he was eating some so somewhere around 8 months or earlier. So I definitely think you could. DS didn't feed himself until later (he could, just didn't since he was lazy). But if you cut it up in small bites (depending on how many teeth he has), then definitely do it. Now is the time! However, a lot of babies once they get table food want nothing to do with baby food, so be warned if you like baby food

DS - 5 years old
Twins - DD & DS - 3 years old

Many trips growing up (CBR, Poly, PFQ)
Contemporary - August 2003
BLT- September 2009

BCV - May 2010
BCV - August 2012
djp0630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

We started table food at about 6-7 months. She ate what we did, just mushed up. Taht is all baby food is anyway, so it your child is eating baby food you should be fine. If not I would probably not give him something he has never had on vacation. You never know how little tummies are going to react to new foods, and heaven forbid he have a food allergy.
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
cassiez76
DIS Veteran

my son was 9 months on the 15th and he's just starting to eat some table food. he loves grilled chicken! if we feed it to him in little pieces, he's ok with most things. if we let him feed himself he does the finger point to it. touch touch touch. and doesn't eat. lol he loves bread too. thomas practically attacks if you have food in hand. he really wants to eat, but i'm trying to do it in steps.

i plan on bringing yogurt and applesauce (soft cooler with ice packs) with us during the day. he's been refusing his bottle during the day. and won't try a sippy cup.

he still loves his baby food that i make of squash, sweet potato, avacado and carrots.

i'm sure it'll be quite an adventure eating at disney! lol
Old 09-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
kwitcherkicken99
Sleep keeps me pretty. CAFFEINE keeps me NICE!
This vicarious living is wonderful!
I'll take getting my feet up all the way

DS started table food at about a year, DD at 9 months - baby food was forbidden by her.

I say go with your gut and how many teeth baby has! Veggies and fruits off the buffett won't hurt and neither will a little bit of meat PLUS it's less you have to carry in your bag! Do what you feel is best.
kwitcherkicken99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
California Jenn
Mouseketeer

I would recommend doing a mix of some baby foods and table foods. We have a 9 month old who eats some of the foods off our plates, but in a restaurant I worry about ingredients they add that I am unaware of and which could cause an allergic reaction. So, while we are fairly brave on trying foods at home, when eating out, we tend to stick to basic fare, like roasted chicken, plain fruits, veggies and pasta/bread. If you pack a few containers of baby food to take, at least you'll know he will always have something to eat.
California Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
We_love_WDW
DIS Veteran

Not to early at all. Both of my kids ate table food from around 6-7 months. I would just cut everything up into tiny pieces. Let him feed himself. It will be really easy...he will love the fruit, veggies, chicken, pizza..anything you eat he can eat (for the most part). Have fun
Old 09-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
MommyBryn
DIS Veteran

We skip "baby" foods and start with table foods from the beginning (we believe delaying solids a bit is best for our babies so usually by then they're already around 8ish months anyway). So no, not too early. However, I agree with the PP, I wouldn't add TOO much variety too his diet while on vacation, just in case.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
happymommy
DIS Veteran

As a parent with children with food allergies (DD outgrew hers, DS has outgrown a couple, but had anaphylaxis twice), I would really urge you to not introduce any new foods on vacation. My son really didn't eat much of any table food even at a year - he really wasn't interested. He did it more out of the sensation, but once he'd had anaphylaxis from a teaspoon of yogurt at 8 months, I was cautious. He could go days and not eat any food. He was nourished enough, so that was fine.

I used to get the little individual jars of cereal with bananas or something for when we were out - he liked them, and they were easy on his tummy. It would be hard if you gave a food that gave gas or diarrhea on vacation - so I'd stick with plain stuff. Maybe a bit of bread, or crackers (my son loved Ritz, as they kind of dissolve, and they are tasty but bland, no tummy issues). I used to bring Ritz everywhere, and Cheerios.

I'd just take it slow on vacation - if you have formula or breastmilk, that is really all they need, the food is more for fun at that age.

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitcherkicken99 View Post
DS started table food at about a year, DD at 9 months - baby food was forbidden by her.

I say go with your gut and how many teeth baby has! Veggies and fruits off the buffett won't hurt and neither will a little bit of meat PLUS it's less you have to carry in your bag! Do what you feel is best.
Actually, the number of teeth a baby has has no bearing on his or her ability to eat solid food. Molars do the chewing, and they don't come until later, but they're right under the gums, making them very hard, and able to chew. My oldest got her first tooth at 11 months, and she had been done with baby food by then already.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
MommyBryn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
Actually, the number of teeth a baby has has no bearing on his or her ability to eat solid food. Molars do the chewing, and they don't come until later, but they're right under the gums, making them very hard, and able to chew. My oldest got her first tooth at 11 months, and she had been done with baby food by then already.
Actually, teeth do play a part. Not until a baby gets teeth (and with each one) does his/her saliva have the proper enzymes for breaking down simple foods. Not sure if that's what the PP meant though.

eta- it's not a matter of chewing, but being able to break down the foods and use their first stage of digestion.

Last edited by MommyBryn; 09-24-2009 at 08:57 PM.
MommyBryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #14
minnie4me
DIS Veteran

I too would caution giving anything new due to allergy possibilities. Are things like fries, fried in peanut oil? Children that young should not have egg products, etc...better to be safe then sorry.
Does the child eat any baby food? (I'm going to have to go back and reread the thread.) It is supposed to be veggies first then fruits, so I am not sure how far along the "food chain" you are.
If you are concerned about having to pack all the baby food, isn't there a way to ship early, or buy and have delivered? Some make their own baby food though, and that would be hard to do. You could mash green bean (if not cooked with almonds) and carrots, I guess most restaurants have applesauce, plain mashed potatoes (not much nutritional value for a baby though.)
Have you talked to your pediatrition? They don't all follow the same food regimen, I'd try their advice.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
vgrandy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyBryn View Post
Actually, teeth do play a part. Not until a baby gets teeth (and with each one) does his/her saliva have the proper enzymes for breaking down simple foods. Not sure if that's what the PP meant though.
my daughter didn't have any teeth until 14 months. She was eating finger food at 10 months. She was a preemie so we delayed finger food a little.
vgrandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: