Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
pmanko
Mouseketeer

Character meal - am I crazy to skip it w/ my 2 yr son?

I was going to schedule a character meal - probably breakfast works best for us - for our upcoming December WDW trip. But, for breakfast for my husband, self and 2 year old it would be $50 (priced at Crystal palace - $19 adult and $11 for 2 year old?)
Wondering if at 2 1/2 he would even really enjoy it that much vs. grabbing a bite to eat at the villa and spending more time running around the parks and riding rides, seeing characters on his "own" time... he is very active so sitting at meals isn't one of the easiest things with him...
suggestions? Skip this time and plan on going next time (he probaby be 4) ??

Wyndam Bonnet Creek (Nov 2010) MVMCP

BWV- Oct/Nov 2012 - MNSSHP
AKL-Kidani Village - Next trip - January 2015

pmanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
princeydisness
Earning My Ears

I'm guessing he wouldn't know the difference...my dd was a little over 3, and doesn't remember much except when she sees the pictures. Now we are going again and she's celebrating her 7th bday there - we got Cinderella's Royal Table breakfast for her and her almost 5 year old sister, so I fully expect them to enjoy it now! (they better, for the money it cost, lol!)

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/m661c5sftjme13le.png[/img]
princeydisness is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
cogero
DIS Veteran

your son should be free for the meal. My almost 2 year old loves Crystal palace and playing with pooh and tigger. Only you would know if your child would like it.

Some kids don't like the charachters though. Good Luck with what you decide.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
devonsmommy
DIS Veteran

My personal opinion is you are totally fine with skipping it! I just took dd3 almost 4 for the first time a few weeks ago. We did 3 character meals and it was CHAOS! I feel like I hardly ate anything at the ones that were buffets. There will be plenty of opportunities in the parks to see characters. And if you are going again when he's 4, he'll remember it even more then!

Have fun!

COME READ MY TRIP REPORT! Girls Gone Wild 5/4-5/11 or my DINING REPORT! 5/4-5/11 w/ lots of pics!

8/15-24/13 DINING REPORT

October 2014--Wonder!
May 2014--OKW
August 2013--Polynesian, October 2012--Old Key West, May 2012--Animal Kingdom Lodge/Expedition Everest!, March 2012--Disney Magic!, Feb. 2012--Pop, Dec. 2010--Contemporary/Pop, Sept. 2009--Pop, Sept. 2008--POR, June 2004--Vistana
And many trips before!
devonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
LWatson
I Still Do!!!!

My kids both loved the Character meals. They were both tired (as we did it at lunch), but they couldnt get enough of the characters. They were 3yrs old and 14m old when we went.

Feb 2009-Shades of Green R&R, Nov 2009-All Star Sports Welcome Home, May 2010-Shades of Green,Jan 2011-POP Boy's Birthday Trip
April 2012- Shades of Green Vow Renewal/POP Welcome Home, Feb 2013-Universal/Disney 10yr Anniversary Getaway at Westgate Lakes and Spa
LWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Chip's My Hero
Mouseketeer

I would probably skip it this time. Disney has so many options to meet characters that you don't need to go to a character meal.

1995 Honeymoon Offsite 2006/2007/2008/2009/2010 Pop Century June 2011 POR: Free Dining

Chip's My Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Heck no you aren't crazy! I actually think you are quite sane. There is no way I would pay that much money for something a child will not even remember, doesn't know exists and will have a totally wonderful time without doing it. Being in the parks, the rides, the lights, the activity, the characters he sees (remember he doesn't know you are to get autographs or even have your photo taken so from a distance is fine) the parades will all be more than enought to thrill the daylights out of him.

You could always take the money an put it away for the next trip, I think that would be more beneficial to him than a meal.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
Redbudlover
DIS Veteran

I say very definitely do it with him. Like they said he is too young to be charged anyway. I took my dgd when she was 19 months and it was just fun for the adults. But I took her last year and it may have been one of the highlights of her trip. She loved Pooh and Piglet and Tigger. I have two character meals scheduled for our trip next week now she is 3 1/2. In my opinion I spend a lot of money taking her to WDW. I don't want to waste a whole big part of that money standing in line to see a character for a short moment when I can see a number of them at a meal I am going to eat anyway. Granted the food may be $10 more but I see parents spending hours in line to get a quick picture of their kids with the characters. Total waste of time and money in my decidedly opinionated opinion.LOL.
Redbudlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
kohlby
DIS Veteran

I'd skip it but my kids aren't really into the characters. We see enough of them around the parks and never have waited more than a few minutes.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
baybemama
Disney lovin' Mommy

I think it just depends on whether you and your child is into characters. DS2 LOVES them and has been talking non-stop about eating breakfast with Pooh. Of course, we also talk about it to hype it up but we wouldn't miss it!
baybemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
3mickeys&me
DIS Veteran

Like the other poster said if your child is 2 that child would be free. If the child is afraid of charactors then would so skip it. If not it is a fun time. We took my 3 yr old niece 2 yrs ago and she is still talking about it. Depends on the child. IMO

We try to go every trip started when they were 2 & 4, they are 13 and 11 now and they Request still that we do a charactor breakfast!
9/2000 First Trip with the Kids CBR
10/2002 Split Stay Poly & Port Orleans Riverside
5/2005 7 Day Land and Sea Poly/Disney Wonder
11/2005 Mom and The Boys Trip CBR
11/2007 Mom and The Kids Trip All Star Movies
11/2011 Lots of Family/Friends & Kids All Star Movies
DH Me DS (16)DS (13)
3mickeys&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
Mrs. Charming
I'm not your entertainment, get a life.

Eh... I have a 2y/o DD, and well, if it weren't for Free Dining, I wouldn't be doing character meals either. We've done them before at 14 and 22 months, and we'll keep doing it as long as we're not paying out of pocket. But, I still think he'll get the WDW experience without the b-fast.
DD3 is a BIG SISTER! ...and now has a brand new little BROTHER!
Mrs. Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
yekcoh_99
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbudlover View Post
I say very definitely do it with him. Like they said he is too young to be charged anyway. I took my dgd when she was 19 months and it was just fun for the adults. But I took her last year and it may have been one of the highlights of her trip. She loved Pooh and Piglet and Tigger. I have two character meals scheduled for our trip next week now she is 3 1/2. In my opinion I spend a lot of money taking her to WDW. I don't want to waste a whole big part of that money standing in line to see a character for a short moment when I can see a number of them at a meal I am going to eat anyway. Granted the food may be $10 more but I see parents spending hours in line to get a quick picture of their kids with the characters. Total waste of time and money in my decidedly opinionated opinion.LOL.
I agree. We just returned Saturday. My son is 3 1/2 and my daughter turned 2 while we were there. Characters are HUGE for them so they got a lot out of the meals and had a blast. We did Crystal Palace lunch w/Pooh and Chef Mickey's breakfast. Both were wonderful. I do agree that it depends on the child. If yours are afraid, then perhaps you shouldn't do it. Although the more exposure they have and see the other kids enjoying the characters, the sooner they may come around to liking them as well. Good luck!
2009 Pop Century - 1st Family Trip!
2010 Animal Kingdom Villas Savannah View
(First DVC trip!)
2011 Beach Club Villas (Finally)
2012 Wilderness Lodge Villas
2013 Beach Club Villas
2013 Beach Club Villas
yekcoh_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
pmanko
Mouseketeer

meal time

thanks for all the advise & opinions - still undecided.... i thought i had read before > 3 was free -so that helps a bit...
not that price is a huge factor -i guess only if he doesn't enjoy it and we pay that much it might bum me out...
i don't think he'll be scared of characters ...
but, not sure he'll want to sit for a long time waiting to meet them...

any estimates on how long a breakfast should take for a 8:30/9 am ressie?

also -are character meals better inside parks or out?? originally,i was looking at the mickey's meal at the contempary but, i heard good things about crystal palace...

Wyndam Bonnet Creek (Nov 2010) MVMCP

BWV- Oct/Nov 2012 - MNSSHP
AKL-Kidani Village - Next trip - January 2015

pmanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #15
devonsmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanko View Post

also -are character meals better inside parks or out?? originally,i was looking at the mickey's meal at the contempary but, i heard good things about crystal palace...
Are there any characters he's particularly interested in? There are different ones at each place.

COME READ MY TRIP REPORT! Girls Gone Wild 5/4-5/11 or my DINING REPORT! 5/4-5/11 w/ lots of pics!

8/15-24/13 DINING REPORT

October 2014--Wonder!
May 2014--OKW
August 2013--Polynesian, October 2012--Old Key West, May 2012--Animal Kingdom Lodge/Expedition Everest!, March 2012--Disney Magic!, Feb. 2012--Pop, Dec. 2010--Contemporary/Pop, Sept. 2009--Pop, Sept. 2008--POR, June 2004--Vistana
And many trips before!
devonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character meal, toddler

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: