Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
tegdig
Mouseketeer

need easy, basic Cannelloni, Calzones, Canoli

MY family will eat only basic things with few ingredients mixed together.
I want to try some new Italian on them and would love easy, basic recipes for Cannelloni, Calzones, and Canoli....I hope I have spelled them right! If you cook or eat them, I quess you know what I mean. ......remember, Basic and Easy, I am not appossed to cheating with boughten refrigerated doughs, etc.!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!
tegdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
runskyhy
It's not less monkey, it's Moe Monkey!

Have you checked the Semi-homemade by Sandra Lee (Food Network) website? Also, Kraft has a lot of short-cut recipes. Here are some I have tried:

Calzones: (4 ingredients)
Purchase pizza dough from bakery section of supermarket (or the 10 oz. tubes in the refrigerated section near the pie crusts.) Unroll or flatten out and cut into 3 rectangles of dough. Fill half of each rectangle with 1/4 c. tomato sauce, 1 c. cheese, and toppings (leave 1" space along edges.) Bake at on greased cookie sheet 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden.

Cannolis: (6 ingredients)
Shortcut cannoli filling can be made by mixing together 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 c. orange juice, 1 pkg. (4-serving size) Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling, 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese. Carefully mix in 6 ounces of mini chocolate chips.

Are you near a bakery where you can buy real cannoli shells? Are you near a Cost Plus World Market? They sell the shells, too. If not, then your best bet is to loosly wrap puff pastry squares around crumbled-foil (shaped like tubes) that have been sprayed with oil (and bake.) This is a poor subsitute for homemade or store-bought shells, but if you need a shell, this will do in a pinch.

Cannelloni: (7 ingredients)
Cook 8 oz. package canneloni or manicotti shells according to package directions; drain. Cut pasta shells lengthwise through the other side. Stir together 1 lb. cooked & crumbled ground meat, 8 oz. cream cheese, 8 oz. mozzarella, & italian seasoning. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture into each shell, gently pressing cut sides together. Place, cut sides down, in 2 lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dishes. Mix 8 oz. marinara sauce & 16 oz. alfredo sauce and pour evenly over shells. Bake, covered, at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Note: you could use cooked lasagna shells in a pinch... spoon filling along the short edge of one noodle and roll up, placing seam side down, just like the cannelloni shells.

And you can't forget Stromboli!!! (5 ingredients)
Preheat oven to 400°F and unroll a 10 oz. tube of refrigerated pizza crust. Place pizza crust on baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. italian seasoning on crust, top with 1/4 lb. thinly sliced pepperoni and 1/2 c. shredded cheese. Roll up crust from starting at one long edge and place seam side down on baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly and cut into six portions.

Do you make pizza dough from scratch? I was surprised at how easy it is. I will make it over the weekend, let it proof in the refrigerator, and then freeze it until I need it. Grilled pizza is a fun and easy dinner, too. Split the dough up for individual pizzas each person can top on their own.

RC Oasis, Western Caribbean 03/2014
Disney Fantasy, Western Caribbean 05/2012, 10/2013
Disney Dream, Bahamas 03/2011, 07/2011 , 07/2013
Disney Wonder, Bahamas 03/2006, 03/2009, 10/2009, 02/2013
Caribbean Princess, NE & Canada 10/2012

Disney Magic, Eastern Caribbean 10/2011
Coral Princess, Southbound Inside Passage 06/2010
Carnival Ecstasy, Key West & Cozumel 03/1995
WDW, FL 05/1992, 02/2010, 09/2010, 02/2013
West CA 01/2010, NV 4/2012, AZ 3/2013
runskyhy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
tegdig
Mouseketeer

thanks, I knew someone here would have something easy for me to try on them....I am not oppossed to a detailed recipe, but the odds of them liking something "different" sometimes just isn't worth the effort and expense...have to ease them into things :-), and then work from there!!!!!
I am in a large metro area, so I have pretty much anything I may need at my disposal.
thanks again for your help!
tegdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

You can also use thin pancakes (crepes) in place of canneloni tubes Either buy a packet of ready made ones or use Bisquick. Deliaonline has recipes using crepes and ricotta/spinach mixture for canneloni - my family loves it
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: