Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
raenyny
Mouseketeer

When do you tell the teachers you are taking the kids out of school for Disney?

and what exactly do you say?
raenyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raenyny View Post
and what exactly do you say?
Tell exactly what it is and do it closer to your trip, be polite and ask for HW when your kid come back to school. Bring your teachers some gift.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
staticgirl50
Mouseketeer

I am nervous about doing this. My daughter is in Kindergarten, and they made it clear that a vacation is not an excused absence. I am taking her out anyways though, I went up to like Th grade with my parents, no problems. I will make this the last year for my daughter during the school year though. I just can not believe how much everything has changed! My daughter has homework in grade K! LOL- I remember nap time and crafts for kindergarten!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Chip's My Hero
Mouseketeer

When we were still taking them out for trips, we would tell them as soon as we knew. Yep, sometimes at the beginning of the school year for a trip in March. We would then at the 3 month mark send a note to school and talk to the teachers again. The week before we would ask the teachers to give us any and all homework they can before hand, and then the first day back we would ask for homework. We would also bring it up in conversation during parent teacher conferences, or even when we would see them around. Never had a problem.

As far as what we told them..."We are taking a family vacation for the week of *blank* to *blank*. We hope this won't be a problem and would love to work with you to make this process simple." They would then ask where we were going and when we said WDW we were told every time that they were jealous and could we pack the teacher in the suitcase. LOL We got lucky.

1995 Honeymoon Offsite 2006/2007/2008/2009/2010 Pop Century June 2011 POR: Free Dining

Chip's My Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Some principals are really nice about it. Kindergarden should be fine. Our school system does not excuse vacations. That said I only took my kids out 1 day in October before a 4 day school holiday. 1 day is not a big deal.

The other time we had scheduled a vacation after the last day of school in June, then in Feburary they extended the school year due to snow and hurricane Isibel. So my kids had to miss 1 week of the extension. The principal overlooked it because I had no way of knowing.

Now I schedule our vacations several days after school ends in June to allow for the snow days.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

We told the teachers as soon as we knew, and sent another note the week before. Apparently last trip DD10 had a substitute the first day, because while on Test Track DH got a voicemail on his cell. I had to call the school and tell them she would be out the whole week.

I've done it three times, and it was never a problem with the school. The teachers were all happy for my kids!
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
denisegold
Mouseketeer

Family time is just as important as school time (IMO), I know a lot of schools don't agree.
I try to minimize the time taken from school for a trip- honestly, never more than 3 days a year- but I won't apologize or make excuses. Taking your child on a trip IS a learning experience in itself.
My daughter goes to catholic school (since 4th grade, she's in 7th grade now) and they are SO much better about it- never a problem. One kid went to Paris for a week with his family last year during school- the teacher encouraged him to come back with stories to share! (and he brought every classmate a cute little Eiffel Tower).

I bet this thread goes off topic with everyone telling why you SHOULDN'T take your child out of school, blah blah blah, even though that is NOT what you asked- so before the thread gets pulled or closed- I want to say... go for it. Like the others said, just be polite, let them know (I'd say) about 2 weeks prior, in case they do want to assign any work to be done while you are gone. (Geeze- for kindergaten??) And def. let your daughter bring her teacher back a small Disney gift!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Not my kids teachers. When I took them out the 1 day in October the teacher was sarcastic about it. Geez 1 day will not make or break a kid.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
mickeymouseclubhouse
DIS Veteran

We are taking the kids out of school October 13th-19th, my 6 y/o dd is in
1st grade and my 3 year old is in preschool. I just started writing the letter and will be giving it to the teachers on Monday, which will give them a 2 week notice. In the letter I state that we will be taking a family vacation and the dates my daughter will be absent and the date she will return to school. I also put my phone number and make a notation that they contact me with any questions/concerns.

Since it is a private school (that I am paying a large tuition for), I don't anticipate any problems. Also, my husband has a job that does not allow vacations to be taken over the summertime so I would also make that a point to them if it were necessary.
Threepeat: Pop Century and Free Dining October 13-19, 2009 (We surprised our kids this trip!)
Bounced back in 2010: September 21-September 28, 2010, All Star Music/Free dining
Number 5: September 13 -September 20, 2011 at Pop Century/Beach Club
Trip Number 6: September 11-19, 2012 at BWV!

Up Next: September 8-17, 2014 split stay at BLT/BWV

mickeymouseclubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
Coach81
DIS Veteran

Our teachers know us.. they know every Mardi Gras our boys will be missing a few days.. I think my wife wrote a note to them a few years ago when we started..
Next Trip- Super Summer Trip w Trahans @ SSR Treehouse Villas!!! Last Trip-Mardi Gras '14 VWL, May '13 SSR Grand Villa!!! May '12 AKV 5/11 UF (HRH) 3/11 BLT, 5/10 THV,3/10 UF (RPR), 12/9 BCV, 5/9 BWV, 2/9 SSR, 5/8 AKV, 2/8 OKW Joined DVC Spring '07

Coach81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #11
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

As ateacher, I prefer to know as far in advance as possible. I write the cild's name and absent on my calendar, and when I am planning those lessons I know in advance I will need to be collecting work for that child as we do it. It makes it easier for me to keep up with who is out when and what they need tro make up. We told DD's K teacher the first week of school that she would be missing the 3 days after thanksgiving break for Disney. She is in private school, so it was not a problem as far as being excused, and i am using ALL my personal days. In our system no one is allowed to ask what personal days are for so I didn't even have to discuss it with my principal, although he knows where we will be.
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
dvcdisney
DIS Veteran

I usually provide a note for the teacher 2 weeks before we go. On the note, I mention that it is a family vacation. I also ask if they can set aside the homework pages for them to work on when they return. Also, I ask if there are anything they would like them to do before we return. Usually, they send the homework with them the day before we leave. In one instance, it was nice of the teacher to provide the homework the week before. However, I don't expect this at all. I don't think the teachers are overly happy about it, but I think they understand. When my son was younger, he provided a journal for each trip and presented it to the class. I think the class enjoyed it.
dvcdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

We're going January 21-30, 2010. I sent in all my paperwork to the principal on Tuesday. Our school has excused absence forms on its' website that I had to fill out for each child - DS5 is in Kindergarten and DS9 is in 4th grade. There was also a 'standard letter' that I found on MouseEars that I used for each child - detailing the educational expericences they'll have, etc.

http://www.mouseforless.com/downloads/kids/SE.shtml

I used this form when we went in 2007 and didn't have a problem. I think the earliest you let them know, the better. That way the school and the teachers can plan accordingly. The last time they gave my son all his assignments for the week about 2 days before we left, and his teacher even gave him a 'special' assignment to complete while he was there - it was a Disney Journal that needed completed. It was so neat because he had to make pie charts to show his 4 favorite rides and the % that he liked them. It was full of things like that.

Good luck with it!!

WL February 2017 for DS high school band trip * WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007*SoG 2000*Off Site 1998
hebbynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
Running_Bell
Mouseketeer

We told them the first week of school about our trip in late Oct. We also have been doing everything we could to assist the teacher in getting HW together for them... it is not her job to accommodate just my children... I mean it's our fault we're taking vacation during the school year. Our kids will also do homework at Disney.... they also work on it in RV on the way up and back. We do this almost every year and both my kids are in honors courses and my son is a HS senior. All of the teachers have been very nice about it.... but the bottom line is it is our kids that are accountable for getting any work done that they miss... not the teacher. The kids have always been willing to put in that extra time at school to make up time missed.

I wish we could take vacations in the summer when they are out to avoid all of this... but I work at a university in a department where our busiest time is the summer when school is out... and we are not allowed to take vacation during that time. We do pick a week that has teacher's work days so they don't miss an entire 5 days.

I think letting the teachers know up front and having the kids be responsible with taking the initiative to make up the work definitely makes it work. So... I would let the teachers know ASAP.

Returning summer 2014 - FW
August 2013 - Boardwalk & FW
Nov 2010 - Pop & FW
Oct 2009 - FW
Sept 2007 - FW
Sept 2005 - POR & FW
Sept 1997 -All Star Sports
Running_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #15
kevgraub
DIS Veteran

We are leaving on Friday for a week. Our son is in 2nd grade and his teacher seemed glad that we told her as far back as supply night (the day before school started). We told her that we would remind her as the date grew closer, but wanted to giver her as much notice as possible. We then reminded her quickly again at meet the teacher night about a month ago. She said she would see how our son was doing before she decided if she wanted to send work ahead, have him do it when he got back, or just skip that week's worth of work.

I sent her an e-mail one week ago (just over a week before we left) reminding her again of the dates and asking her if she wanted to send work ahead of time, have us pick it up after the trip and make it up, or just skip that work. I hope we hear back from her soon.
kevgraub is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: