Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
john storey
Mouseketeer

Tipping Housekeeping at DVC?

I am not sure what the correct procedure is with 'tipping' housekeeping whilst staying at DVC. Depending on your length of stay (4 days or less) then they don't actually do anything, longer than that then they visit once or twice. Can someone please advise me what the correct procedure is? I usually leave something when we check out but I'm allways reminded by the wife that they haven't actually done anything? Please help as I hate to think that i'm being stingy & ungreatful.
john storey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
wideeyes
Won't use fake tan, wants to stay pale & interesting
Does not do sea food

I don't tip for housekeeping personaly as it is not a tipped position, I wouldn't tip when staying at DVC, I pay annual dues to have a clean room etc. I know people will disagree with me on this though so it is up to you.

wideeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
TinkTatoo
Has a Tink tattoo on her shoulder
Hooked on Disney Cruises

We tend to leave a couple of $$ on a trash and towel day and more if it's a ful clean and we always leave something when we're checking out

TinkTatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
Pootle

DIS Veteran

We do exactly the same as Tink Tatoo.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
Nero the dog
Earning My Ears

We usually leave $1 per person in our room ($5 in total) on each cleaning day

Nero the dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
LORNA ANN
UK DVC Member

I am ashamed to admit my DH never tips & we work in hotels but he says they do very little to warrant a tip every time they empty a bin !! We do however if we stay in same resort for 2 weeks leave $5 not much but yet again DH says if they get that from everyone they are doing well.
I think its because tips are very rarely left in the UK !
2004 HOLIDAY INN(FEB ) & ALL STAR SPORT(OCT )2005 GRAND FLORIDIAN & MARRIOT
2006 ALL STAR MUSIC 2007 BEACH CLUB & SARATOGA
2008 SARATOGA
2009 B0ARDWALK,SARATOGA(FEB)
2009 BAY LAKE TOWERS(OCT)
2010 ANIMAL KINGDOM/BOARDWALK(OCT)
2011 (FEB) SSR (OCT) SSR
2012 (FEB)HOLIDAY INN@DTD (OCT) SSR & BLT
LORNA ANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:12 AM   #7
TinkTatoo
Has a Tink tattoo on her shoulder
Hooked on Disney Cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORNA ANN View Post
.....I think its because tips are very rarely left in the UK !
I'm not singling you out but this does seem to be an attitude that is rife with UK visitors and is why we've probably got a bad reputation with housekeeping and wait staff etc.,

We always take the view that if we're visiting another country then we should be aware of their customs and traditions and follow them as best we can so even though we rarely tip here we always make sure we leave an appropriate tip over there - we just think of it as another sales tax

TinkTatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:03 AM   #8
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
We always take the view that if we're visiting another country then we should be aware of their customs and traditions and follow them as best we can
I completely agree. Too many Brits are ignorant of the tipping custom. Even worse, many more are fully aware of it and choose to opt out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideeyes View Post
I don't tip for housekeeping personaly as it is not a tipped position
This is a contentious issue and by no means a matter of fact. Most reasoning comes down on the side of pro-tipping. It's certainly very poorly-paid and that alone suggests it's worthy of being included in any list of tipped positions.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:00 AM   #9
Pootle

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORNA ANN View Post
I think its because tips are very rarely left in the UK !
Really? I always tip in the UK too - even in a Travel Inn type of place!

My view may be coloured because I once worked as a chambermaid in a Swiss hotel (before going to college - in the seventies) and I remember just how much we appreciated the tips because the pay was so poor.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #10
Shooby doo
DIS Veteran

I remember reading a thread on the US board about tipping Mousekeeping in general & some one produced a excerpt from a Disney contract stating that Mousekeeping are not allowed to accept gratuities! They are allowed to accept gifts,that being said our envelope always disappeared each day! That being said I would probably leave a few $ each cleaning day but I do somewhat agree with the point that that's what we pay our annual dues for.
SD
Summerfield Suites '03 MNSSHP,HOS,HHN XIII
Holiday Inn Sunnspree '04 MNSSHP,HHN XIV
Staybridge Suites '06 MNSSHP,HoS,HHN XVI
Caribbean Beach Resort '08 MNSSHP,HHN XVIII,HoS
VWL & SSR '12 MNSSHP,HHN XXII
Shooby doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:48 AM   #11
doverfox
Mouseketeer

tipping wise i think ech to their own do what you feel comfortable with.
havent tipped on dvc before as this is our first home going so this will be our first.
i do however take issue with the tipping police when it comes to how much to tip. i will tip what i like where i like. a pleasant girl in dennys does the same job well actually a better job that the waiters in chef mickeys an warrants a higher tip imho evan though the food is cheaper than chef mickeys. would i tip more than the national average wage in the uk for service at a meal? no i pay my staff above it and they spend the entire hour working earning money for me. so why would i tip more for someone i have seen occasionaly through the meal iam sure this will upset some. it is just what i feel.
(the truth of the mater is is wether or not mousekeepers are in a tipped position or not, they tend to look after you as individuals for more of your holiday than waitstaff where you may only go to that resturant once)
doverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
gilld
Will just have the butler open her champagne!

We always tip a few $$$ and we tip here too - it just seems the right thing to do to us.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
ohana7
Mouseketeer

I agree with the above post. We are a family of 6. When we eat at disney an 18% gratuity is automatically added to the bill. I can name a number of places where the service has been very poor.Yet we are still forced to pay a tip of upwards of $35 dollars. We wouldnt leave £20 in the UK if service was poor so why should we on holidays. Yet we do. Our answer has been to use counter service
As for housekeeping on our last towel and trash day the maid stood at the door handed us towels and asked for the exchange ones. No way was I about to tip her. Personally I think the trash/towel service is poor.
ohana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
Mrs Hobbes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohana7 View Post
I agree with the above post. We are a family of 6. When we eat at disney an 18% gratuity is automatically added to the bill. I can name a number of places where the service has been very poor.Yet we are still forced to pay a tip of upwards of $35 dollars. We wouldnt leave £20 in the UK if service was poor so why should we on holidays. Yet we do. Our answer has been to use counter service
As for housekeeping on our last towel and trash day the maid stood at the door handed us towels and asked for the exchange ones. No way was I about to tip her. Personally I think the trash/towel service is poor.
On our last trip we received particularly bad service at Hollywood and Vine. At the end of the day it is a buffet service restaurant, the waitress just had to bring drinks and clear plates. She was abrupt and didn't explain the buffet to us. She got the drinks order wrong and our dirty plates were still there when we came back with seconds. We were a party of 8 and the 18% was automatically included, I went and spoke to the manager and got it removed. If you have received bad service then speak up and leave what you feel they deserve if any.
AKV 02/09 WLV 10/10 OKW 02/12 AKL 12/13 DLRP MAGIC CIRCUS 06/14 DLRP SEQUOIA LODGE 11/14 DCL DREAM 08/28/15
Mrs Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
wideeyes
Won't use fake tan, wants to stay pale & interesting
Does not do sea food

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDEB View Post
This is a contentious issue and by no means a matter of fact. Most reasoning comes down on the side of pro-tipping. It's certainly very poorly-paid and that alone suggests it's worthy of being included in any list of tipped positions.
yeah probably, I would also probably tip if it didn't leave a noticeable dent in spending money.

wideeyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: