Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Was anybody else troubled to see

The new [toy] guns in PotC? They are bright pink and bright blue with orange caps.

My brother's favorite toy at WDW (1970's) was always the guns in PotC. They also sold the same ones in Frontierland (alongside Davy Crockett racoontail-caps), but PotC was always where my brother bought his. Each year, he got a slightly bigger gun. He did fire some caps, but mostly he was very careful not to do anything to damage them. As an adult, he's not into guns at all.

About ten years ago, I noticed Disney added orange caps. Then came 9/11, and somewhere in there, the Frontierland guns disappeared. Now they sell pins and candy in the same spot.

This year the orange capped guns are painted bright blue and bright PINK! Yes, PINK! Times sure have changed.

Has our society lost something? Or is it better that they look so obviously fake?

Last edited by mickeyluv'r; 09-22-2009 at 04:51 PM.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

I hear what you're saying, but I'd rather have them look obviously fake by being pink, blue, rainbow-striped, whatever, than have a child accidentally shot by an officer who thought it was real.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the Theme Parks board......
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
DisTwix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r View Post
The new guns in PotC? They are bright pink and bright blue with orange caps.

My brother's favorite toy at WDW (1970's) was always the guns in PotC. They also sold the same ones in Frontierland (alongside Davy Crockett racoontail-caps), but PotC was always where my brother bought his. Each year, he got a slightly bigger gun. He did fire some caps, but mostly he was very careful not to do anything to damage them. As an adult, he's not into guns at all.

About ten years ago, I noticed Disney added orange caps. Then came 9/11, and somewhere in there, the Frontierland guns disappeared. Now they sell pins and candy in the same spot.

This year the orange capped guns are painted bright blue and bright PINK! Yes, PINK! Times sure have changed.

Has our society lost something? Or is it better that they look so obviously fake?

I think it's important that they be obviously fake... I'm not sure that the bright color is the way to go, but I'm sure there is some marketing logic behind that as well.

Also, for TSA rules, they need to be completely "non-realistic" or they'll get confiscated - this might more likely be the reasoning behind the change, since I'm sure folks were trying to check or get on planes with the things and they were being taken by the TSA (there was an article on cnn.com where this was mentioned just yesterday).

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." -- Mae West

"I only hope we don't lose sight of one thing - it was all started by a mouse." -- Walt Disney

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' " -- Charlie Brown.
DisTwix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

I understand this reality- I was ina classroom on 9/11 and during Columbine.Everyone in our schools was very scared. Indeed, a short time after Columbine, there was shooting at a nearby school. I interviewed at that school.

Still, it seems that our society has lost something. Something significant. I'm not advocating real guns. I'm saying we've lost the ability to play. Instead of assuming the kid's gun is fake, our first assumption is that it could be real.

Again, I'm not commenting on current gun laws. I'm trying to figure out what happened to our society? When did we lose the ability to play?

The Disney buses were shut down for an hour last week because of a tire pressure gauge. What's happening to us?
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Technosavant
DIS Veteran

Color doesn't mean a thing when it comes to a firearm being "realistic." You ought to see how many color options are out there for refinishing (I've used their products, they're easy to apply and some have done up firearms in extremely nontraditional colors like pink).

It is more the shape that matters, and the toy flintlock style I've seen at WDW isn't likely to be mistaken for a real gun any more than a stick or wooden rubber band gun might be (in the dark, they will be, no matter the color).

For those worried about their kids being hurt when they play with their toys in areas and at times when they can be mistaken for the real deal, the only counter is to teach one's children the proper behavior and times/places for play. Nobody is going to draw down on kids in their backyards or basements in the middle of the day. At night on somebody else's property, things change and color won't matter (nobody will be able to see it in the dark, just the general shape).
Technosavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Technosavant
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I understand this reality- I was ina classroom on 9/11 and during Columbine.Everyone in our schools was very scared. Indeed, a short time after Columbine, there was shooting at a nearby school. I interviewed at that school.

Still, it seems that our society has lost something. Something significant. I'm not advocating real guns. I'm saying we've lost the ability to play. Instead of assuming the kid's gun is fake, our first assumption is that it could be real.

Again, I'm not commenting on current gun laws. I'm trying to figure out what happened to our society? When did we lose the ability to play?

The Disney buses were shut down for an hour last week because of a tire pressure gauge. What's happening to us?
You raise a good point, and I think the answer is that the unthinkable has not only become thinkable, but a remote possibility. There was a day when parents were involved enough that the idea of a young kid using a lethal weapon to harm someone was silly talk. Yes, it could happen, but the possibility was so remote nobody ever considered it. Nowadays we have young kids heavily involved in crime. The first presumption is no longer "not a chance" but "you know, it might be; I know somebody this happened to."

That changes your thinking.
Technosavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
TunaSled
No Windows and No Doors

Quote:
The new guns in PotC? They are bright pink and bright blue with orange caps.
AAAHH! For a moment I thought you were referring to the guns in the actual attraction... I would just drown myself in the ride.

WDW Commando Club member #220

TunaSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
MomtoGKC
DIS Veteran

Is this new? My DH bought a rifle style gun for DS in February that is brown and pretty much looks like the ones my brothers had int he 70's. It does have an orange cap but the rest is brown.

Mom to DD 11 , DD 9 , DS 7

1975-2011 - Too many trips to remember - CR, Poly, GF, BWI, BCV, WL, AKL, ASMu, POR, CSR, Dolphin, Swan, Treehouses, cabins, tent camping, SOG when it was the golf resort

A few offsite - Hilton Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Buena Vista Palace, Nick Hotel
MomtoGKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
TillyMarigold
DIS Veteran

There was a law in the early 90s requiring all toy guns to obviously be fake (hence the orange caps). I used to do a lot of theater in high school (early/mid-90s) and it was just about impossible with our small prop budget to find a toy gun for plays (for more money, you can rent a real prop, of course). We would usually end up wrapping a cap gun completely in black electrical tape.
TillyMarigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
Disneyliscious
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaSled View Post
AAAHH! For a moment I thought you were referring to the guns in the actual attraction... I would just drown myself in the ride.
That was my first thought too...lol. Whew!!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
XYSRUS
DIS Veteran

We buy a gun from PotC every time we go ... usually 2!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #13
Pecobill
Hooah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyMarigold View Post
There was a law in the early 90s requiring all toy guns to obviously be fake (hence the orange caps). I used to do a lot of theater in high school (early/mid-90s) and it was just about impossible with our small prop budget to find a toy gun for plays (for more money, you can rent a real prop, of course). We would usually end up wrapping a cap gun completely in black electrical tape.
We use sharpies or black paint for our airsoft guns.Kind of lame playing airsoft with orange caps.
Pecobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
figmentgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technosavant View Post
You raise a good point, and I think the answer is that the unthinkable has not only become thinkable, but a remote possibility. There was a day when parents were involved enough that the idea of a young kid using a lethal weapon to harm someone was silly talk. Yes, it could happen, but the possibility was so remote nobody ever considered it. Nowadays we have young kids heavily involved in crime. The first presumption is no longer "not a chance" but "you know, it might be; I know somebody this happened to."

That changes your thinking.
I like this line of dialog. I challenge people further to consider that these acts of crime commited by our youth has nothing at all to do with the color we paint our toy guns, but with much deeper issues. Toy guns could look real 50 years ago without Columbine happening, and 100 years ago many kids had there own gun for hunting! Obviously this isn't the cause. But it's a lot easier to change the color of our toys than change on a deep level.

October 2010 Dolphin
March 2010 Poly
May 2009 Poly
2005 YC
2004 Celebration Hotel
1996 CBR
1994 Poly
1990 Poly
Many trips as a child...
figmentgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We have not lost our ability to play. If you can play with a "realistic" gun, you can play with a pink or blue one. Any child with imagination and a true sense of play doesn't care what color the toy is. They imagine it the way they want it. In fact, they can take a ladle or a backscratcher or a ruler or a cardboard paper towel tube and turn it into the most wonderful pirate weapon of all time. The people who can't be a pirate unless the gun looks real -- THOSE are the ones who have lost the ability to play, IMO.

As for the bus situation ... nothing's happening to us. Over-dramatic, much? There was something attached to the undercarriage of a bus that no one could identify. Would you have rather they continued to drive the bus without checking? Maybe we've all become more careful since 9/11, but I don't know that it means something is "wrong with us." The world evolves. Things change. They changed after the Depression. They changed after Pearl Harbor. They changed after Vietnam. They changed after 9/11. Then again ... the world also changed after talking pictures. And television. And Disneyland. And the Internet. You've gotta take the bad with the good.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: