Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
higgy66
I have to force myself to go on Splash Mountain so the kids won't end up like me - a baby!

The Higgins First Family Trip - Pre Trip - Sept 25-Oct 9th 2009

Thought I'd join the others and do a pre trippie to get me in the mood....

Cast Members
Me (Janet) 43 - Company Credit controller and Branch Administrator
DH - Steve 42 (he's only 4 weeks younger than me so it's one of the rare times he looks a year younger!) Health & safety Manager
DD1 - Maisie - 6
DD2 - Bronwyn - 5

Well it's only a few days away and to say the Higgins household is excited is an understatement! We've had this trip booked 18 months (I was fortunate to get a free child place) but we only told the girls 6 months ago. We told them via a treasure hunt with some Disney gifts at the end and a Countdown chart to the holiday. Can't believe after 6 months of dabbing every night it's almost here.

We fly from Manchester on Friday at 10.20am with VA so we're stopping at the Raddison on Thursday night with a run way room requested so fingers crossed.

This is myself and Steve's 2nd trip but it's our first trip to Florida with the girls. We've done DLRP to test the water and they loved it so hopefully they'll love this just as much.

The first time I went I was 22 and it was a time when not many people had been - I remember I had to give a talk when I got back to work as everyone was so excited. How times have changed!

Steve's first trip was when he was in the Navy and they had docked somewhere along the coast. Even though we didn't know each other then and didn't meet for another 4 years we were in WDW at the same time - spooky!

Our last trip was 2001 - 2 weeks after 9/11 so the parks were very quiet and although we still had a fantastic time it was still on everyones thoughts and I think it did have an effect on the overall mood.

However, since that trip we've gone on to have 2 wonderful girls when we thought it was never going to happen. Wait 4 years and then 2 come along wthin 14 months! We've extended the bungalow to double it's original size and it was during this extention where we had to sleep in a caravan in the garden for 6 months that I decided we all needed a treat.

I've just returned to work full time last week which is pretty bad timing considering my last day is Wednesday but they insisted it was OK as I've taken on a new role with more responsibilty and they wanted the contract all ironing out ASAP. Anyway - speaking of ironing I put an extra day's holiday in for Thursday to finish any last minute packing etc and make sure all the bedding is washed and changed ready for our return.

Also to add to everything my Dad goes in for a hip replacement operation Wednesday so I'm hoping that all goes well as I don't want to be worrying about that while I'm away. Also one of my brothers has to go into hospital on Sunday to see about his eyes which are bleeding from behind and they don't know what's causing it or why they won't stop. He has to have a dye injected into his arm that makes him violently sick and they have to take photos of his eyes in between his head being in a bucket. A bed and crash team stand waiting at the side just incase as this die can stop your heart. This is the 2nd time he has to do this and this didn't happened before so hopefully all will be fine.

Great timing you would think but I come from a very close family and also a very upbeat positive family which is why we can all laugh about this timing and be positive that everything will be ok.

Anyway back to the trip - you can see I natter on abit - we're staying at POFQ so we're excited about that and we've decided not to bother with a car this trip. This may sound sad but we use the park and ride to York and the girls LOVE catching the buses so to them this will be part of the trip and also Steve and I can have a drink (or two) with our meals if we want. For any evening ADR's in the resorts we can always get a taxi back if we decide the journey there was too long.

We intend to take the holiday at the girls pace which will involve lots of pit stops, time to enjoy the less popular rides and places and just chill. I just hope we don't have to ride It's a Small World 6 times in a row like we did in DLRP!

We will only be visiting the Disney parks and water parks and intend to go to MNSSHP one evening and try to fit in all the evening fireworks but we'll have to see how that goes. They do need their sleep so we try to stick to the usual bedtime routine on holiday with the odd late night here and there. If they continually have late nights they become devil children. We'll be taking the DS's with us and some books so Steve and I will have something to do while they go to sleep on a night. Mind you they're also early risers so I would imagine we'll not be long after them going to bed ourselves!

This also isn't intended as a holiday of a lifetime as we plan to return in 2011. We already have 2010's holiday booked so it definietey won't be next year. DH wasn't that bothered about me going back to work full time but I explained it was extra money for Disney trips and that put a different light on it. We may take the DVC tour........I dream of having a ticker like many of you regulars returning year after year sometimes twice or more each year.

So not much more to say except myself and hubby can't wait for a break away and to return to a magical place with 2 magical girls.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
scottish mum
We still have 2 posties in shorts
I'm still learning how to work it

Sounds like you will have a brill time. I'm sure your girls will love it.

I know what you mean about devil children without enough sleep, my youngest 2 are terrible if they don't have 12 hours. We do manage to see the nighttime shows so with some careful planning and down time I'm sure you will manage as well
Disneyland Paris 1994, 1997, 2004, 2009
fort wilderness cabins september 2008
Beach Club October 2010

scottish mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
Lizzybear
You fool! You gave cheese to a lactose intolerant volcano god!
I'm the main holiday initiator/planner which is how I like it!

Not long at all now... I'm on late shifts this week which is soo not helping in my quest to wish the week away (I actually enjoy my job but at this point I just want to go on holiday! ) Hope yours is going a bit quicker!
We loved POFQ last trip and i'm sure you will too, it's very pretty and the CMs we encountered were all really nice and chatty
DLP Day trip 1992, School trip 1997, Day trip 2000, Magic Circus 2003, Cheyenne 2006, Sequoia Lodge 2007 and Santa Fe 2010. WDW Ramada Resort I-Drive 2002, Sheraton Studio City 2005, POFQ 2007 and CSR 2009. DLR Fairfield Inn 2008.
Lizzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Janet, this will surely be a trip worth the wait and so much fun with your girls along this time. Enjoyed your story about being at WDW for the first time at the same time your DH was there on his first visit--though you didn't know each other at the time! Sounds like you were fated to meet, be together, and enjoy Disney vacations happily ever after. About your first trip there together, I was in WDW two weeks after 9-11, too. It's a wonder we didn't meet--and it's likely we saw each other as there were so few people there at that time. Small World . . . oh, sorry. You were hoping to skip that this time, weren't you?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: