Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
jama
DIS Veteran

Trip Insurance purchase if after 14 days of 1st paymennt?

We are going on our first cruise in the Spring...I did not purchase insurance with DLC..I planned to purchase independently. But when I have looked online, it says insurance has to be purchased within 14 days of first payment?
So, am I out of luck because i paid the deposit more than 14 days ago?
jama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

In order to have pre-existing conditions covered, you need to buy the insurance within 10-21 days (depending on the company) of making your first trip payment. Not all companies have a waiver of pre-existing conditions - such as DCL's insurance.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Each policy has different rules in place. The one we got had a grace period of 30-60 days prior to when we purchased the policy. They won't cover PECs but will tell you what they will cover.

Also, if you need a policy specifically for PECs Travelguard has a policy that costs a bit more but will do this.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
"Got Disney"
They’re like Lays chips...just cant get enough
Little Angels come and take them away
We need to smack them all in the heads and say "WAKE UP YAHOOS"

The ones we use has always been able to be purchased up to 90 days of sailing. WE dont pay for our cruise until the day it is due. Than we pay it in full. We dont bother getting the ins right away because we can pull our money out a couple months before the cruise and get a 100% refund. So in order to cover our deposit and full pmt we do it a few days before full pmt.

Some companies will even let you pay after you have paid in full. Some will not let you pay until 90-120 days prior sailing because there is no need to have it because if you need to cancel before that you still get a full refund from the cruise line. Its not ins. to cover you for what you can get back but for what you cant.

just relax Mun :wooho

Last edited by "Got Disney"; 09-21-2009 at 03:27 PM.
"Got Disney" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Mommy Poppins
Admitted Disneyholic - No Cure Wanted
Dreams of tag fairies and pretty colors
Will be spending my birthday at the WL

I have anothe trip insurance question. We did not purchase the trip insurance for our 4 night cruise in January. DH is currently in Iraq and "is supposed" to be home by the end of the year. What kind of policy can I get to cover if he doesn't get back in time and we need to rebook for a later date? We are already past 14 days since our deposit.

Thanks

Our Vow Renewal 5/1/06 - Family Trip 9/2013 & Senior Pictures
Mommy Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Also remember that PECs not only cover the people going on the cruise but also include any family members who will be staying home and whose health condition might make you want to cancel the cruise to stay with them.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Some privately purchased travel insurances will allow you to move the date ONCE without losing the cost of the coverage.

We buy the insurance within the 2 weeks to cover pre-existings "just in case," but I also know that if I must cancel the cruise or change dates before the penalty period starts, I can also move my insurance dates.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
HallsofVA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy Poppins View Post
I have anothe trip insurance question. We did not purchase the trip insurance for our 4 night cruise in January. DH is currently in Iraq and "is supposed" to be home by the end of the year. What kind of policy can I get to cover if he doesn't get back in time and we need to rebook for a later date? We are already past 14 days since our deposit.

Thanks
I may know the answer to this one! If you are a USAA member, they offer Travel Insured trip insurance at a discount to it's members. They specifically cover you if your leave gets canceled or deployment is extended. In talking to the USAA rep at Travel Insured, she says that their normal policies also have a clause related to military leave and deployment issues, but that USAA advertises it a bit more since they serve military families. Might be worth a call either via the USAA number on the website if you are members, or directly to Travel Insured to ask directly.
Previous Stops -11/17/12 Fantasy Thanksgiving Eastern to San Juan; 3/31/12 Fantasy MV; 8/21-26/11 WDW Poly;08/16/11 5-nt Dreamy Double-Dip!;8/13-16/11 Universal;09/18/10 14-nt WB Transatlantic; 1/10/10-1/14/10 Bahamas, 1/6/10-1/09/10 AKL, 12/12/09 Western (Cat 3 upgrade); 12/06/08 Eastern (upgraded to the Roy Suite!); 12/03/05 Western (upgrade to Cat 3)
Dream/Fantasy Special Rooms Thread
HallsofVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
wdwfan16
DIS Veteran

I have read it is better to get your trip insurance from another company not the Disney travel company. Is that correct? If so who should I get the travel insurance from?
wdwfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
Sleepyluke
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy Poppins View Post

Thanks

Depending on the time you may know he will be extended before your penalty date, then you can just move your reservation with DCL, no insurance to get involved.
Sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
TheWog
The Curse has been Reversed
We did it on St. Thomas
That sounds like my way to watch them

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan16 View Post
I have read it is better to get your trip insurance from another company not the Disney travel company. Is that correct? If so who should I get the travel insurance from?
It is hard to say specifically since everyone's circumstances are different. www.***************** is a great starting point. You want to choose a company that will be around and back its policy. After that find the one that provides you the coverage you want for a price you are willing to pay. Travelex Lite was a good policy for us. Reasonably priced, provided medical and evacuation coverage limits that we thought were good and had a pretty good reputation. There are many out there.
TheWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
wdwfan16
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWog View Post
It is hard to say specifically since everyone's circumstances are different. www.***************** is a great starting point. You want to choose a company that will be around and back its policy. After that find the one that provides you the coverage you want for a price you are willing to pay. Travelex Lite was a good policy for us. Reasonably priced, provided medical and evacuation coverage limits that we thought were good and had a pretty good reputation. There are many out there.
Thank you
wdwfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
TheWog
The Curse has been Reversed
We did it on St. Thomas
That sounds like my way to watch them

Quote:
Thank you
You're welcome.
TheWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
Corwin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallsofVA View Post
I may know the answer to this one! If you are a USAA member, they offer Travel Insured trip insurance at a discount to it's members. They specifically cover you if your leave gets canceled or deployment is extended. In talking to the USAA rep at Travel Insured, she says that their normal policies also have a clause related to military leave and deployment issues, but that USAA advertises it a bit more since they serve military families. Might be worth a call either via the USAA number on the website if you are members, or directly to Travel Insured to ask directly.
Thank you so much for posting this information! I was just about to purchase the a Travel Insured policy when I saw this. You just saved me a few $, and I feel even better that I got it through USAA, and that they recommend this company.
2011-Aug: WDW Beach Club Villas/Disney Dream Bahamas cruise/Wilderness Lodge Villas/Wilderness Lodge
2010-Dec: WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas (Christmas/New Year's trip!)
2010-Feb: WDW Polynesian/Disney Wonder Bahamas cruise/Animal Kingdom Villas
2009-Aug: WDW Wilderness Lodge
2007-Aug: WDW Wilderness Lodge/Yacht Club
1994-Jan/1991-July: WDW Off-Site
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #15
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DCL's insurance is typically very expensive compared to other companies, includes only those parts of the trip booked thru Disney (if you book your own air, it's not covered), and doesn't cover pre-existing conditions.

Private insurance is based on your age and where you live as well as the amount of coverage you are purchasing (in $500 per person increments). Many policies cover a child free with a parent policy. Thus, for young families, buying privately can be MUCH cheaper as well as offering better coverage. For the grandparents, a better rate may be available thru DCL. It really depends on what you want the insurance to cover
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: