Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Is there really a "nationwide shortage" of regular seasonal flu serum????

Is there really a "nationwide shortage" of the regular (not H1N1) flu serum???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My doctor's office is claiming that there's a nationwide shortage of the seasonal flu serum. Is this true? Have any of you heard this??

Our pediatrician's office has the serum, so DS21 will be getting his vaccine on October 24th. He has asthma, and they actually called our house to set the appointment. So he's all set.

However, DS18, DH, and I all see a different doctor, and that's the office that's claiming that they're unable to get the serum.

We ALWAYS get the flu shot, every year. Our medical insurance has always covered it 100%. The doctor's office suggested that we try getting the flu shot at a pharmacy. I believe the signs say they cost $25.00. Not a lot of money, but $25. X 3 = $75. I will gladly pay this if need be, but I'm just really surprised that ALREADY our doctor's office is claiming to be out of serum, with none on the horizon...
What's the scoop where you live????

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

I'm getting my flu shot at work on Thursday. Its just about my only employer provided benefit - once a year they pay for a medical service to come in and provide us with flu shots. If there were a shortage I wouldn't think that they would be doing clinics like that where there is no screening for high risk people.

I could go to my doctor since I am high risk and in the priority group but then I would have the $20 co-pay for the office visit. I'll have to pay it for the swine flu vaccine most likely so I don't want to have to go twice.
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
PatsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
2girlsmom
DIS Veteran

I can't imagine that this is accurate information you are getting, Walgreens is advertising that they will always have on hand at all locations every day. Doesn't sound like a shortage to anyone other than your dr's office, maybe the cost went up and his office doesn't want to stock?

& Lucky
2girlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
WDWisOurHappyPlace
Mouseketeer

I called our doctor this morning to set up an appointment for flu shots. Me, husband, and son will be getting ours next week, they are booked for this week. They only do flu shots on Tues., Wed., and Thurs. from 12:00 - 12:30 pm at this office. Doesn't seem like a shortage here.
WDWisOurHappyPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Disnydad
DVC Member -- OKW

My doctor stopped offering flu shots a few years ago. I got mine today at a Walgreens.
Disnydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Mickeypooh99
DIS Veteran

My Drs office has it. I have an appt. on Wednesday for myself, and my 2 boys. Now my oldest DS woke up with a fever today. I'm hoping he gets better, and they won't refuse him the shot on Wednesday.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
EthansMom
spare yourself from asking me to do karoake
The experience reminds me somewhat of the ancient Chinese practice of foot-binding

At our pediatrician's office, they've stopped giving the flu shot and instead contract it out to the local Visiting Nurses Association. They say this is to make sure that they have enough shots for everyone, but I suspect that having shot clinics that are offsite allows the peds office to concentrate on providing care to their patients instead of dealing with shots.

Mine and DH's Drs. office does offer flu shots, but when I called to schedule mine, the receptionist tried to talk me out of it which made no sense to me at all. I did end up getting my shot with no problems but thought the receptionist's response was odd.

With two young kids with asthma, we've all gotten flu shots for the last several years.

Now, our GP is NOT going to be offering the H1N1 and the peds office still doesn't know if they will be offering it.

My bet would be that your Drs. office has just decided not to offer shots. If they didn't pre-order shots, then the shots would not be available.

In your shoes, I would get the shots at the pharmacy or other shot clinic and then submit the forms to my insurance for reimbursement.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Karalea
Mouseketeer

I received mine this morning at my doctor's office. We are flying to Las Vegas in 2 weeks and I don't want to take any chances catching something on the plane.

I called in advance and made an appointment. Since I was just seeing the nurse, I do not have to pay for an office visit. Sure, I had to wait 20 minutes past my appointment time but it was free!

All the drug stores here are offering it for $25.

No shortage as far as I can tell!
Karalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
laurie31
Once had a roommate in college who had 17 boyfriends!
Unplugs the internet with her toes
I refuse to eat in a restaurant that also sells bait or jail bonds

No problems here either.

My girls have appointments with their ped for FluMist on Oct 7th. I'll be getting mine the first week of October as well. Neither office mentioned anything about a shortage when I called for an appointment.

laurie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
metime
Mouseketeer

Isn't there every year? It always seems the by mid October there is always a shortage. When they divert regular flu vaccine production to make the swine flu vaccine I would think that might be a reason. I know it was a concern earlier but I am not certain.

Whole family was done Saturday morning.
metime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
donald&daisy
DIS Veteran

I called Walgreens today to make an appointment and they said they were running low and to just walk in rather than make an appointment so I went and got one around noon.
Offsite Spring Break '05 Offsite Spring Break '06 POR Chistmas '06 Pop/ASMU/OKW Summer '07 CBR Summer '08 Royal Pacific & AKL October 2010 Beach Club Villas November 2011 DFTW-Beach Club & Boardwalk April 2012!

My DFTW Planning Journal
donald&daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

I think your doctor is tired of losing money on the shots!

I have not heard anything of a shortage this year. Perhaps an overabundance. Every place around here has them. Costco is $20.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
AllyandJack
* Here is where a picture of my girls would be, if I could figure out how to size it. Instead, it's an angry Tinker Bell. :-)

I want to get it at the pharmacy near me, but they want a prescription. The woman who works the front office at my family doctor is a total twit. She always has been, but I love my doctor, so I put up with it (I have a PPO and I see him, maybe, once every 2yrs, but my mother did his billing since I was 15, so they've known me forever).

Today, she told me 1. no flu shot for me (with no explanation); 2. no appointments available (ever?); and 3. no, she wouldn't ask him if he'd call in to the pharmacy near me so I can get the shot.

The next words out of my mouth were to ask her to send the form to release my records. After 10yrs, I'm finished begging her for things.

The Walgreen's near me said they had plenty, but they're requiring a prescription. I have an appt with my OB in a few weeks and, when I talked to the nurse today, she said she'd see how they were as far as supplies and try and slip me one. Obviously, their pregnant patients get 1st priority, so it's not a guarantee.

Guess I'll have to take my chances. The older girls will get theirs. My youngest is too young. My H will likely bring it home, he'll recover in 10hrs like he always does from every illness, and I'll end up bedridden with 3 kids 2 and under to care for. Good times!

AllyandJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

PS: Kroger has always accepted our insurance for flu shots when we didn't get them at the PCP.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #15
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

I have a doctor appointment coming up very soon, but when I made the appointment I forgot to ask if they have the regular flu vaccine available.. I'll have to call and check on it tomorrow and if not, I'll likely put my visit on hold until they do have it..

My office co-pay is $20 and the shot is covered 100% because I'm high risk, so I would rather get it at the office..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread