Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Corryn
DIS Veteran
Disney Commando
Why, yes, I'd Love an apple!

LATEST I need to be at the airport!

Hello everyone,
We're leaving soon for our vacation.
I have school that morning and afternoon and I will have to leave early to get to the airport.

Now, DH will be taking our DD's and their friends to the airport two hours beforehand. I will do online check-in with SW the day before and have the boarding passes all ready.
The plan is that DH will take my luggage (so he will have two bags total to check-in which is fine with SW) and check it in this way when I arrive at the airport, I can go, check myself in, go through security and up to the gate.

Also, we are on one reservation. Can my husband even check in with the girls if I am not present?
Can I check in later?

Now I know we have some frequent travelers out there on the DIS.... what is the absolute Latest I need to arrive and check in?

I cannot take the day off from school and I'm very lucky my professor is letting me leave early. I don't want to push it with my professor, but I don't want to take a chance and miss my flight either!

Any suggestions? Tips?
Thanks!
Corryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corryn View Post
Hello everyone,
We're leaving soon for our vacation.
I have school that morning and afternoon and I will have to leave early to get to the airport.

Now, DH will be taking our DD's and their friends to the airport two hours beforehand. I will do online check-in with SW the day before and have the boarding passes all ready.
The plan is that DH will take my luggage (so he will have two bags total to check-in which is fine with SW) and check it in this way when I arrive at the airport, I can go, check myself in, go through security and up to the gate.

Also, we are on one reservation. Can my husband even check in with the girls if I am not present?
Can I check in later?

Now I know we have some frequent travelers out there on the DIS.... what is the absolute Latest I need to arrive and check in?

I cannot take the day off from school and I'm very lucky my professor is letting me leave early. I don't want to push it with my professor, but I don't want to take a chance and miss my flight either!

Any suggestions? Tips?
Thanks!
What airport and what time is your flight? That might make a difference
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
mrscoobs
Mouseketeer

If you are checking in online and printing your boarding pass then you are allready checked in for your flight. DH can take the girls and check the luggage at the counter and when you arrive you just need to make sure that you have your printed boarding pass in hand to get through the security checkpoint and proceed to the gate. Now, the key, as the PP suggested is what airport are you flying out of and time of day in order to figure out how much time you need to get through the security line and still arrive at the gate ten minutes prior to your flight departure (as that is when the aircraft door closes).

Next Trip:
WL December 8-15th

Any thoughts expressed are solely my opinions and do not reflect any company that I work for
mrscoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:34 AM   #4
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Some airlines close the door before 10 mins. Do you really want the start of your vacation to be a dash through the airport? Once we know what airport and time of day we can offer more advice.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:41 AM   #5
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

SW will start boarding about 30 mins before the departure time...as soon as they have everyone on board, they will close those doors. Once the doors are closed, no one gets on the plane...period. I have seen them hold the doors open for someone but only one time.
I would plan on being at the airport, boarding pass in hand, an hour before flight departure. 45 mins would really be cutting it too close...with security and the run to the gate.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
rflorek
DIS Veteran

Will they let her husband check her bags in without her physically being at the airport? If she checks in online, won't her bags be tied to her? I thought they would not accept "unattended" bags.

Also, if you are flying out of JFK, leave PLENTY of time for transport and security.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflorek View Post
Will they let her husband check her bags in without her physically being at the airport? If she checks in online, won't her bags be tied to her? I thought they would not accept "unattended" bags.

Also, if you are flying out of JFK, leave PLENTY of time for transport and security.
He will check her bag as his -- so he will be checking two bags - she will have none to check.

Liz
Traveliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
DisTwix
DIS Veteran

Having been the last person on the plane after an intense wait in security and frantic literal RUN thru CVG airport to what I swear was the farthest possible gate away, I can tell you without a doubt it's not the best way to start your vacation. We were such a mess, that I somehow dropped my suitcase checking it, and it hit my ankle bone *just right* and it hurt the whoooooolllle week. It was one of those things that only happens when you are in the biggest hurry of your life.

I understand not wanting to mess with school, but you definitely do not want to chance missing your flight... and yes, what airport you are flying out of makes a HUGE difference. I have regularly shown up @ CMH (Columbus, OH) with about an hour until my flight takes off and have had plenty of time to get thru security - but only when I know that I"m showing up at an "off" flying time (and I have pals that work for Southwest there, so I have a good inside track).

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." -- Mae West

"I only hope we don't lose sight of one thing - it was all started by a mouse." -- Walt Disney

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' " -- Charlie Brown.
DisTwix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

People asking for help should try to give complete information in the OP. The OP is from Long Island. The SW flight could be from either ISP or LGA.
SW suggests 1 hour at LGA and 1.5 hours at ISP. We don't know what time of day. You need to allow time for traffic.

Leaving from LGA? Stick with an hour? Leaving from ISP? You can probably get away with 45 minutes to an hour, with no luggage. Do you want to cut it closer? Find out how many other flights leave within 30 minutes of your flight. If there aren't any other flights you might assume a short TSA line.

Is there a later flight (connecting?) you can take if you miss your flight? You might cut it close.

edited to add I probably wouldn't go under 45 minutes unless I there is a later flight that has available seats. All you need is a couple of passengers who have issues going through security

Last edited by Lewisc; 09-22-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #10
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoobs View Post
If you are checking in online and printing your boarding pass then you are allready checked in for your flight. DH can take the girls and check the luggage at the counter and when you arrive you just need to make sure that you have your printed boarding pass in hand to get through the security checkpoint and proceed to the gate. Now, the key, as the PP suggested is what airport are you flying out of and time of day in order to figure out how much time you need to get through the security line and still arrive at the gate ten minutes prior to your flight departure (as that is when the aircraft door closes).
Will DH and the kids have their boarding passes before they check their luggage? If not, DH can reprint the boarding passes when he checks your bags so they can proceed to the gate. All you will need to do is go through security with your boarding pass and meet them.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
jenelope
In my house, I *am* the kid! (also, the mom, the dad and the maid)

I recently missed a flight home from Atlanta because I underestimated how much time it took me to get to the airport, return my rental car, take the shuttle to the terminal, get through security and get to my gate (and my gate wasn't far). It's a horrible feeling to be five minutes late for a flight. By the time I made it through security, I was so stressed, sweaty and in need of a restroom, I was almost grateful I missed my flight. Fortunately, I was flying from a Delta hub to a Northwest hub, so I was able to rebook and depart a little less than three hours later.

I got to the airport 45 minutes before my flight, but all of the pre-flight stuff ate up my time. Make sure you figure out how much time you need to park and get between your car and the terminal and add that to your minimum!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
People asking for help should try to give complete information in the OP. The OP is from Long Island. The SW flight could be from either ISP or LGA.
SW suggests 1 hour at LGA and 1.5 hours at ISP. We don't know what time of day. You need to allow time for traffic.

Leaving from LGA? Stick with an hour? Leaving from ISP? You can probably get away with 45 minutes to an hour, with no luggage. Do you want to cut it closer? Find out how many other flights leave within 30 minutes of your flight. If there aren't any other flights you might assume a short TSA line.

Is there a later flight (connecting?) you can take if you miss your flight? You might cut it close.

edited to add I probably wouldn't go under 45 minutes unless I there is a later flight that has available seats. All you need is a couple of passengers who have issues going through security
The last couple of times I flew out of Laguardia the security lines were quite long so an hour may or may not be enough.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I missed a flight once by 5 minutes out of Chicago (MDW) once. Line for security at the airport was minimal, didn't take me long to park, etc. What caused me to miss my flight? A traffic accident on the way there... I gave myself 1.5 hours allowance for the airport, 1.5 hrs allowance for the drive (drive took 1-2 normally.) The drive took 3, getting through the airport took 5 minutes.

Moral of the story? Give yourself as much time as possible, you never know what might happen...
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
Corryn
DIS Veteran
Disney Commando
Why, yes, I'd Love an apple!

OP here, thank you for your input
I will be leaving Saturday out of ISP on the 3:15 flight. It's the last flight of the day for SW going to MCO.

ISP is a pretty quiet airport and I've never waited on a line for security before. We travel at least once a year.

I'll be coming from the north shore to MacArthur, so I know I've got to give myself at least a half hour travel time. I'm hoping my professor lets me out @ 2:00 so I will have ample time to get there and not rush, that'll give me a little time to go through security.

So right now, after reading your tips I know:

1. My husband will be able to check my bag as his own. He will have Two pieces of luggage not weighing in excess of 50 lbs. each.

2. I can check-in on Friday, print out Our boarding passes, give DH the boarding passes for him and the girls and he can check the luggage, go through security and wait at the gate at the appropriate marker (A24 - 28 for example).

3. I can arrive at the airport, luggage free, go through security, and meet my DH and kids at the gate and take my place in line (A29 for example).

4. I will have a good time when we get down there LOL
Corryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #15
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Leaving at 2pm sounds like it might be cutting it too close.

Leave at 2pm at least a 30min drive means at the aiport for 2:30pm. That is only 45 minutes before flight time, which many posters have said is cutting it close, but maybe okay.

However, that doesn't include the time it will take to get from your class to the car, doesn't leave wiggle room in your drive (you said you need AT LEAST 30 minutes), doesn't leave time to park your car and get into the airport.

Taking the last flight of the day always means that I give myself even extra time (since missing the flight is a much bigger deal).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: