Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
disneychard
Mouseketeer

Hurriane Season????

My family and I talked about going to wdw next September for the Halloween festivales. I would also like to take the 3 day cruise along going to wdw. My husband says you want to go on a cruise during hurriane season! What does anyone think about this? Should I not consider it, does alot of trips get cancelled? Or does the itineraries just get changed? I know the family wants to go to wdw at that time, but I would also love to see what DCL is all about to.

Any suggestions or comments would help?
Thank you inadvance.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Minniemama350
DIS Veteran

Two words: trip insurance. Bon voyage!
Minniemama350 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
WDW Enabler
Founding Father of the HARDHAT BRIGADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychard View Post
My family and I talked about going to wdw next September for the Halloween festivales. I would also like to take the 3 day cruise along going to wdw. My husband says you want to go on a cruise during hurriane season! What does anyone think about this? Should I not consider it, does alot of trips get cancelled? Or does the itineraries just get changed? I know the family wants to go to wdw at that time, but I would also love to see what DCL is all about to.

Any suggestions or comments would help?
Thank you inadvance.
It is our family opinion (we are go with the flow types) that a mystery cruise (where the captain choses to change course/ports to stay out of bad weather) are a good thing. The captain of the Magic 1 week ago did a wonderful job of of keeping us out of even lite sprinkles on our sea days.

Michael

Proud father of 1 Disney FANATIC, and husband to an even bigger Disney FANATIC.
Proud Disney "Verteran of the day" three times, and owner of the flag flown over the Magic Kingdom on March 27th 2008.

Founding father of the "Hardhat Brigade", a growing group of enternal fun loving Disney fanatics who ...... wait the surprise is coming....... Wear lime-green hardhats with Mickey ears....

Applications now being accepted. Apply within
WDW Enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Technically hurricane season is 6 months of the year. We've done several fall cruises. If you are the sort of person who must have every second planned and would consider it a disaster if you visited a port other than what was planned, this isn't the time for you to cruise. If you are able to go with the flow and know that you'll have a great vacation even if it isn't exactly what you'd planned, you can buy trip insurance and enjoy the lower rates available in the fall.

If you're also doing WDW, look at booking separately--you can save a lot of money sometimes.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
tea for girls
Mouseketeer

You might want to consider purchasing trip insurance from a different company than the one DCL offers. There are companies that provide better coverage at a cheaper price. We like www.*****************. We chose a company that had more extensive coverage than DCL's and children were free.

A 3 or 4 day cruise is a great way to see if this is something your family would enjoy. This board is a great source of information as is the book Passporter's Disney Cruise Line and its Port of Call by Jennifer and Dave Marx.
tea for girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

I'd skip September for the HEAT! Push that Halloween related WDW trip/cruise as late into October as you can.

I couldn't manage more than a half day outside these past two weeks!

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
tinkerbellmom1
DIS Veteran

Our family had this same concern when we first cruised in November of 2005. We ended up having no trip interruptions, but CC had some missing items because Hurricane Wilma was there a few days before us. The next time we cruised in January and we actually liked the warmth of the water better at that time. This year we decided to take a chance on October (supposedly the very last month of hurricane season). We will be on vacation, cruising with Disney, and it just doesn't matter if we cruise the Eastern or the Western! We'll go with the flow with all of our B.O.B. cruise friends and have a great time with DCL!

tinkerbellmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
disneychard
Mouseketeer

Has anyone cruise when a Hurriane was out in sea?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
gallaj0
DIS Cast Member
Watches Wings whenever he flips past it because Helen is a Hot Tomato

Yep, we were on the Wonder and had to skirt around Hurricane Frances in 2004. The weather never got rough, the ship had plenty of speed to get around and out of the way.

We did not get to any of the scheduled ports including Castaway Cay; we did make it to Cozumel for one day, then back to Port Canaveral 2 days late; Port Canaveral was closed when we were supposed to go back, so we had to divert to Port Everglades down near Ft. Lauderdale and fly out of there.
Our 3 day turned into a 5 day though, with 4 days at sea. We did miss Castaway Cay though.
gallaj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
biggdawg67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychard View Post
Has anyone cruise when a Hurriane was out in sea?
a friend of mine did several years ago he was booked on western but when a hurricane got close while at sea disney changed direction and went eastern also got a 300.00 on board credit
DISNEY MAGIC-MAY 2009
DISNEY MAGIC-DEC 2009
DISNEY WONDER-JULY 2010
CARNIVAL DREAM-DEC 2011
DISNEY FANTASY-AUG 2012
DISNEY DREAM DEC 2012 ( 1ST BTB)
CARNIVAL BREEZE APRIL 2013
biggdawg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
idrivealumina
Proud Member and Executive Officer of the HARDHAT BRIGADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Enabler View Post
It is our family opinion (we are go with the flow types) that a mystery cruise (where the captain chooses to change course/ports to stay out of bad weather) are a good thing. The captain of the Magic 1 week ago did a wonderful job of of keeping us out of even lite sprinkles on our sea days.

Michael
I was on this cruise as well and I second this. Unless of course you have excursions planned. Trip insurance would be you friend in this case.

BTW, Michael and his family are very fun to cruise with!

Disneyland x a couple (as a younger person) on property 1990
WDW AS Sports - Sept 2006
WDW AS Sports - Nov 2007
WDW AS Music - Sept 2008
DCL Western Caribbean - Sept 2009 (+1 day at MK)
WDW Kidani Village - June 2010
WDW Pop Century and DCL Bahamas - Sept 2010

OFCC
idrivealumina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
disneychard
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: