Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #661
bbaltes
5th Cruise - can't wait!

Packing?

Alright, so maybe I'm just a bit ahead of myself - but why not start to talk about what we're going to pack?

This being our 5th Disney cruise, but our first "up north", we're in a quandry about what to pack while trying to thwart attempts by the airlines to charge us for all the bags! We've gotten pretty good at trimming down our luggage to carry-on only for our Carribbean/Mexico Disney Cruises, but we are wondering what everyone is doing as far as clothes, outerwear (like extra hats, rain jacket, etc.), extra pairs of binoculars, boots?

Will you NOT be packing shorts, polo shirts?

By the way, I saw the poster who gave great scans of the navigators and pics of the meals. My family was hoping to have a lot of king crab legs, salmon steaks, etc. I would think they would stock up there from local places, but maybe not? What does everyone think?

Ben, Jenny, and Lily (DD8)
bbaltes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #662
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel39 View Post
I received luggage tags/documents for some of my family but not all of us. When we do the online checkin is there somewhere that we have to indicate we want them mailed to us?

Help?
They should mail them out to everyone, regardless of if you checked in online or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaltes View Post
By the way, I saw the poster who gave great scans of the navigators and pics of the meals. My family was hoping to have a lot of king crab legs, salmon steaks, etc. I would think they would stock up there from local places, but maybe not? What does everyone think?
I was hoping for more crab legs in the dining room than just an apetizer. I have instructed both kids that they have to order one...even if they don't want to eat it.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #663
ariel39
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
They should mail them out to everyone, regardless of if you checked in online or not.

I was hoping for more crab legs in the dining room than just an apetizer. I have instructed both kids that they have to order one...even if they don't want to eat it.
Thanks. Called my agent/friend and he is going to check on it for me

For the crab legs, Yes my kids have to order to if they don't want it!!! YUMMY

Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise July 26, 2011

Royal Carribean - Liberty of the Seas Caribbean Cruise - June 2010

Disney Magic Mediterrean Cruise July 18-28, 2007

ariel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #664
ariel39
Mouseketeer

Got the rest of them today YAY YAY Can't friggin wait! : cool1:

Old 06-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #665
ariel39
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Alright, so maybe I'm just a bit ahead of myself - but why not start to talk about what we're going to pack?

This being our 5th Disney cruise, but our first "up north", we're in a quandry about what to pack while trying to thwart attempts by the airlines to charge us for all the bags! We've gotten pretty good at trimming down our luggage to carry-on only for our Carribbean/Mexico Disney Cruises, but we are wondering what everyone is doing as far as clothes, outerwear (like extra hats, rain jacket, etc.), extra pairs of binoculars, boots?

Not too early for me....Im actually needing help with luggage.....Want to buy new ones, Large, but now Im afraid the Large might be too heavy.....What do you think.....

Old 06-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #666
MrsMork
Proud Old Geezer

You won't have to have the kids order the crab appetizers. Just tell your server that you want 2 or 3 or 4, or would just like lots of the appetizers for your entree. They are very accomodating. We had a pile of 8 extra lobsters on the table once. I expect that we will request a couple extra lobster tails this cruise as well.

Disney Cruise 1999, 2000, 2002, twice in 2003, 10 Day 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, WB PC May 2008,WBTA 2010,Alaska 2011,Hawaii 2012,WBPC May2013,Jan 2014,Oct 2104,Dec 2014
MrsMork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #667
ariel39
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMork View Post
You won't have to have the kids order the crab appetizers. Just tell your server that you want 2 or 3 or 4, or would just like lots of the appetizers for your entree. They are very accomodating. We had a pile of 8 extra lobsters on the table once. I expect that we will request a couple extra lobster tails this cruise as well.
Last cruise we went on I had 3, it was so friggin good. My server knew I wanted more than the 1 and brought me the extra......My BIL and I LOVED them......

Old 06-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #668
plutojudy
Needs sunshine and seas.

I am getting so excited. I can't wait to see Alaska. I have always liked mountains and water, in Alaska I will have both (at the same time).

Cruise # 13 - Magic - February 22, 2015

Disney Wonder - 2000 Nassau, 2001 Nassau, Freeport, 2011 Alaska: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan
Disney Magic - 2002 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, St John 2003 Western Mystery cruise, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Key West, 2004 Western, Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, 2007 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, 2009 Eastern, St Croix, St Thomas 2010 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, St John
Disney Dream -2012 Nassau
Disney Fantasy - 2013 Eastern, St Thomas, San Juan 2014 Western, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Jamaica
Disneyland Hotel, Fort Wilderness Home, Yacht and Beach Club, Caribbean Beach, Dixie Landings, All Star Movie, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, All Star Music, Art of Animation
plutojudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #669
brackjr
AKA: brack (stopped at 20,000 posts)

Quote:

This is our 10th DCL cruise but first "up north".

I have already started putting my "stuff" to pack together. We are flying Southwest so the baggage fees are not a problem but I don't like to carry more than two each anyway. If I can get by with three total I'll do it ....... but I also have to think about what we are taking home after the cruise.

I will only pack one pair of shorts and a light jacket. At this time I am leaning to not taking my tux and wear a suit jacket for the "formal" night. The rest will be sports shirts and a couple of my Tommy Bahama shirts. Mostly khakis for pants (two probably). I will pack a swimsuit for the hot tub!

I will bring my camera kit which now includes (when it arrives next week) a Canon 100mm-400mm telephoto lens. We'll bring our iPhones because Verizon has service and one of us will bring our iPad.

Finally Platinum Castaway Club!
"A day without Mickey ..... what's the point?"
"So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun." Ecclesiastes 8:15
brackjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #670
MrsMork
Proud Old Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brackjr View Post
This is our 10th DCL cruise but first "up north".

I have already started putting my "stuff" to pack together. We are flying Southwest so the baggage fees are not a problem but I don't like to carry more than two each anyway. If I can get by with three total I'll do it ....... but I also have to think about what we are taking home after the cruise.

I will only pack one pair of shorts and a light jacket. At this time I am leaning to not taking my tux and wear a suit jacket for the "formal" night. The rest will be sports shirts and a couple of my Tommy Bahama shirts. Mostly khakis for pants (two probably). I will pack a swimsuit for the hot tub!

I will bring my camera kit which now includes (when it arrives next week) a Canon 100mm-400mm telephoto lens. We'll bring our iPhones because Verizon has service and one of us will bring our iPad.
We are leaning toward a bit more casual for formal night as well. The men in our group (3 of them and a boy) will just be wearing dress slacks, shirt, tie and maybe a jacket. The ladies will just wear nice dresses. I plan to wear same dress for formal and semi-formal. Same dress slacks for the guys. Like Brack, Dennis will have khakis and polo/sports shirts for the other dinners. I'm taking one pair of black pants and 3 tops to go with them for dinner. Expect to see me in the same outfit more than once. Swimsuits for Rainforest and maybe we will make it into the hot tub this trip. In 11 cruises, 3 of them 10 days or longer, we have only gotten in the hot tub once. For daytime wear we will probably have jeans and t-shirts. I have no problem wearing a pair of jeans more than once, so I think 3 will be plenty for us. One we will wear on the way and 2 packed. I can do a load of laundry if needed. Dennis will have his "big bag" for his camera stuff, c-pap machine and laptop. All three of these items fit in one bag. Not sure if we will use the laptop, but he brings it to download photos if nothing else. Even though we are driving, my goal is one packed bag each and one carryon (plus Dennis' camera bag carryon). No pirate night stuff for us this trip either. Trip reports seem to be that this is a "non-event" event on these cruises. I hope not to purchase much stuff. We have enough stuff!! We have started getting small, small things as rememberances and really for me the photos are the souvineers I enjoy the most. And of course a light jacket for each.

Disney Cruise 1999, 2000, 2002, twice in 2003, 10 Day 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, WB PC May 2008,WBTA 2010,Alaska 2011,Hawaii 2012,WBPC May2013,Jan 2014,Oct 2104,Dec 2014
Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #671
bbaltes
5th Cruise - can't wait!

Packing - continued

I'm beginning to adopt the "WAY less is actually more" theory of packing. I think I will take ONE pullover sweatshirt with a hood, a couple pair of shorts, some polos, and then one khaki pants/dress shirt/tie outfit to wear to Palo, formal, and semi-formal night. I could really care less if anyone sees me in the same outfit numerous nights. More of their problem than mine.

We're staying at the Ramada Limited in downtown Vancouver the night before the cruise. Anyone else staying downtown?

We're also bringing my Mom on this cruise with us, so I'm curious if anyone else has a "golden" adult coming with them?

Anyone flying in from Milwaukee on United on the 25th?

Keep the excitement going! 31 days!

Ben, Jenny, and Lily (DD8) - coming with Mom (DM)
bbaltes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #672
ariel39
Mouseketeer

Thanks. This will help when packing.....You are right, less is more......Now just to find the right luggage...

Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #673
MrsMork
Proud Old Geezer

Quote:
We're also bringing my Mom on this cruise with us, so I'm curious if anyone else has a "golden" adult coming with them?
Dennis and I are "golden", (66 and 61) although we like to refer to ourselves as Geezers and feel like big kids. Your mom will fit right in! Cove Cafe is the place for her to be!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #674
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMork View Post
Dennis and I are "golden", (66 and 61) although we like to refer to ourselves as Geezers and feel like big kids. Your mom will fit right in! Cove Cafe is the place for her to be!
Angie, hopefully I will be able to join the Geezers at least one day in the CC since we aren't going to CC this trip.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #675
brackjr
AKA: brack (stopped at 20,000 posts)

Quote:

Ben, Jenny, and Lily (DD8) - coming with Mom (DM)
I'm 59 and my DW is 57 so we qualify for AARP and even had a membership in it for awhile.

The Cove Cafe is a great place and we have spent some great quality time there with Dennis and Angie. Your Mom would be a good addition to the "geezers"!

Finally Platinum Castaway Club!
"A day without Mickey ..... what's the point?"
"So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun." Ecclesiastes 8:15
brackjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: